Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 495 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1019Likes

post #14821 of 27999 Old 07-12-2011, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked: 1409
Quote:
Originally Posted by gte428cj View Post

If I have a HDD recording that is over two hours long, is there any way to write it to a dvd and maintain an HQ or SP level of quality?

I ask this because the 515 does not appear to support dual layer writing.

Divide the title and burn it to two or more disks.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14822 of 27999 Old 07-12-2011, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the quick answer. I did review all the help files from Wajo and reached the same conclusion as so succinctly stated by Kelson.
post #14823 of 27999 Old 07-12-2011, 11:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If you are not using the RF input for cable because you are using a cable box then try connecting rabbit ears to the RF input. You might pick up some subchannels and low power stations and their subchannels that aren't carried on cable, and OTA is a nice backup in case of cable outages or retransmission consent disputes.

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!! And now the deadline has been extended again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14824 of 27999 Old 07-13-2011, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

"I hate to sound like a snob, but I have never had much respect for modern-day Magnavox-Funai poducts. I usually hang in the Panny, Pio, Yamaha and similar first-tier products threads. That's what I usually buy, too. "

I have gained a lot of respect for Mag- Funai - Phillips over the last four years or so. My first Mag recorder which was analog tv and no Hardrive was just about bullet proof. Only recently did it start choking beyond 1 hr of DVD recording which I think meant it needed the DVD mechanism cleaned. I was going to clean it but have a million project now on my plate and gave it to my brother last weekend. (I only paid $50.00 for it at Walmart)

My first DVD recorder was a Coby. I thought it was real nice but after a few weeks it had more wrong with it than right. I must say the Mag was a Oasis for me in the world of DVD recorders.
post #14825 of 27999 Old 07-13-2011, 09:44 AM

Based on the recommendations of the board, I bought a Magnavox 515H and hooked it up to my AT&T UVerse Motorola box.

My main use for the DVR/DVD recorder is to record UFC and other mixed martial arts shows and burn them onto DVDs.

Unfortunately, it appears UFC telecasts on Spike and Versus have the dreaded copy protection issue. (Oddly enough, HDNet shows and the UFC pay per view did not have this issue.)

Any recommendations on how I can get around this? (I did a Google search on the forum and didn't see anything that specifically explained a workaround for this issue.)
post #14826 of 27999 Old 07-13-2011, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispybiscuit View Post

Based on the recommendations of the board, I bought a Magnavox 515H and hooked it up to my AT&T UVerse Motorola box.

My main use for the DVR/DVD recorder is to record UFC and other mixed martial arts shows and burn them onto DVDs.

Unfortunately, it appears UFC telecasts on Spike and Versus have the dreaded copy protection issue. (Oddly enough, HDNet shows and the UFC pay per view did not have this issue.)

Any recommendations on how I can get around this? (I did a Google search on the forum and didn't see anything that specifically explained a workaround for this issue.)

You can try one of the 1st 3 video stabilizers here between the box and the 515.

P.S. If you get some channels in the clear (unscrambled), I'd advise connecting the 515 directly to the incoming cable feed, as Shown in Sketch 3 here, except use a 2-way splitter with one output to the box and one to the 515. That way, you won't be "stuck" on only the box channel all the time, only when you want to record a scrambled channel. The splitter is needed to allow you to still order PPV thru the box since the coax circuit of the 515 is not bidirectional.
post #14827 of 27999 Old 07-13-2011, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Problem this morning. Tried to turn on, no dice. I then noticed that the clock was showing 11:30pm. Unplugged and plugged back in. Time corrected itself, but still would not turn on. Unplugged and am waiting for 2 1/2 hours to go by so I can do a soft reset.

I hope this isn't a regular thing. I'm getting pretty tired of reprogramming the timer.

Quick question while I'm here. Is it possible to record something on disc and the HDD simultaneously- one in analog, the other in digital? I doubt it but I though it easier to ask that trying it.
post #14828 of 27999 Old 07-13-2011, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB2 View Post

"I hate to sound like a snob, but I have never had much respect for modern-day Magnavox-Funai poducts. I usually hang in the Panny, Pio, Yamaha and similar first-tier products threads. That's what I usually buy, too. "

I have gained a lot of respect for Mag- Funai - Phillips over the last four years or so. My first Mag recorder which was analog tv and no Hardrive was just about bullet proof. Only recently did it start choking beyond 1 hr of DVD recording which I think meant it needed the DVD mechanism cleaned. I was going to clean it but have a million project now on my plate and gave it to my brother last weekend. (I only paid $50.00 for it at Walmart)

My first DVD recorder was a Coby. I thought it was real nice but after a few weeks it had more wrong with it than right. I must say the Mag was a Oasis for me in the world of DVD recorders.

Just to make sure no one takes my above quote out of context without seeing the original post, let me add here that I agree with you completely. This 515 is really well designed and user friendly. I think I'm having more fun with it so far than almost any other piece of electronic gear I've bought recently. Now that I've read through the manual, I've dreamed up more uses for it than just the sports time shifting I originally bought it for.

My only real concern re the Maggy badge is durability/reliability. Hopefully, it'll last for a while. With a 4 year history in this thread and not many complaints, that speaks well for the product. And of course you can have problems with any gear including that from the so-called upscale makers.

I hope Funai can be persuaded to introduce an updated model with HD and Blu-ray. As wajo (I think) has indicated, manufacturing these SD models may not go on much longer.

I'm now thinking about buying another 515 or the next version, if there is one, as a backup and to be used elsewhere in the house.
post #14829 of 27999 Old 07-13-2011, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post

Problem this morning. Tried to turn on, no dice. I then noticed that the clock was showing 11:30pm. Unplugged and plugged back in. Time corrected itself, but still would not turn on. Unplugged and am waiting for 2 1/2 hours to go by so I can do a soft reset.

I hope this isn't a regular thing. I'm getting pretty tired of reprogramming the timer.

Quick question while I'm here. Is it possible to record something on disc and the HDD simultaneously- one in analog, the other in digital? I doubt it but I though it easier to ask that trying it.

Can't record to HDD and DVD simultaneously.

When you get it back on, make sure Auto Clock is OFF!

That's most likely the culprit... rogue time signals.
post #14830 of 27999 Old 07-13-2011, 03:11 PM

First off, hello to all. I have been lurking here after buying my first mag 515
last Dec. I had a few problems with that unit, but after finding this forum a couple months back everything went smoothly. So- I bought another one in April for the bedroom. The newer one has the problem. Its lost its tuner.
I tried a re-scan and nothing but empty screens for both tv and dtv.
I notice when I tune a channel directly (gray screen) and then use channel
up/down it always goes directly to L-1. I had a new recording on the HD
that came out garbled but an older one still played normally. Just no TV.
Should I get the box out of the attic and and return it to Wal-marts
repair service or is there a trick to get it operating normally ? (I hope)
Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks
Ted
post #14831 of 27999 Old 07-13-2011, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestyme View Post

First off, hello to all. I have been lurking here after buying my first mag 515
last Dec. I had a few problems with that unit, but after finding this forum a couple months back everything went smoothly. So- I bought another one in April for the bedroom. The newer one has the problem. Its lost its tuner.
I tried a re-scan and nothing but empty screens for both tv and dtv.
I notice when I tune a channel directly (gray screen) and then use channel
up/down it always goes directly to L-1. I had a new recording on the HD
that came out garbled but an older one still played normally. Just no TV.
Should I get the box out of the attic and and return it to Wal-marts
repair service or is there a trick to get it operating normally ? (I hope)
Any suggestions appreciated.

You can try a Soft Reset, #2 here.

While it's unplugged, I'd also change cables to the TV if you're using HDMI, just till you figure out if it might, indeed, be the tuner. Lots of other options before that tho. The Soft Reset is a start.

Any amps or splitters in line?

Auto Clock ON or OFF?
post #14832 of 27999 Old 07-13-2011, 05:01 PM

Wajo,

I want to thank you for your suggestion and will print it for future reference.
I was thinking about the L-1 showing up and no channels after re-scan.
I only use the nutted cables and not the slip ons. Sure enough the cable had pulled out of the fitting. Just did a scan with new cable and stations are back. Had to be that darn cat in the tv cabinet a couple nights back.
I hate to admit this happened, but it may save someone else the embarrassment that I'm feeling now. Thanx for any responses.
A happy mag 515 owner again.
post #14833 of 27999 Old 07-13-2011, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Had to be that darn cat in the tv cabinet a couple nights back.

That can happen alright.
post #14834 of 27999 Old 07-13-2011, 07:41 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

last Dec. I had a few problems with that unit,

I bought another one in April for the bedroom. The newer one has the problem. Its lost its tuner. Ted

Could you exchange your 2 units each other for testing?

If one works well in both location (living and bedroom) and other does not work in both location, we are sorry but later one would have failure.

If both units work in living room but do not work in bedroom, please re-check your connection.
If your connection has no problem, please let me know again.
post #14835 of 27999 Old 07-13-2011, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

It was the cat, as he explained here.

post #14836 of 27999 Old 07-13-2011, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Wajo,

I want to thank you for your suggestion and will print it for future reference.
I was thinking about the L-1 showing up and no channels after re-scan.
I only use the nutted cables and not the slip ons. Sure enough the cable had pulled out of the fitting. Just did a scan with new cable and stations are back. Had to be that darn cat in the tv cabinet a couple nights back.
I hate to admit this happened, but it may save someone else the embarrassment that I'm feeling now. Thanx for any responses.
A happy mag 515 owner again.

Darn cat!

A good time to repeat my advice in the Connections help file:

Snugging-Up Connector Nuts

I had interference once that was caused by an RF/coax input line that I finger-tightened, but I moved the DVDR several times for tests, etc., and it had come loose only about 1/100 of a turn...just enough to cause interference ("scratchiness") in my picture.

On every connection that has a nut to tighten, use a SMALL wrench to add just a LITTLE extra tightening at the end. Especially important on all splitter connections.

I use a small, 7/16" open-end wrench. Don't use a large wrench, pliers or any FORCE at all...just a final snug-up with finger tips on wrench.

Moral of this story: SNUG YOUR NUTS!

post #14837 of 27999 Old 07-13-2011, 07:50 PM

I recently purchased the Magnavox 515 because of the great reviews here. I love this HDD. However, last night our power went out while I was recording and now I can't get the unit to turn back on. I can't seem to determine if it has a fuse which may have blown, but I don't want to open the case and void the warranty. It acts like it's not getting any power - no display or anything. I have verified the outlet is active. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks
post #14838 of 27999 Old 07-13-2011, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine One View Post

I recently purchased the Magnavox 515 because of the great reviews here. I love this HDD. However, last night our power went out while I was recording and now I can't get the unit to turn back on. I can't seem to determine if it has a fuse which may have blown, but I don't want to open the case and void the warranty. It acts like it's not getting any power - no display or anything. I have verified the outlet is active. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks

You can try a Soft Reset, #2 here. Should bring it back to life.

Then, make sure Auto Clock is OFF.
post #14839 of 27999 Old 07-13-2011, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Soft reset worked once again. I am 99.9% sure I had the auto clock off before. Let's hope I was wrong.

Also, I use cc from time to time. As pointed out here, I had to add a set of component cables to make it work. Weird how it is just fine through the HDMI when playing something I recorded on the 515 HDD, but playing a disc recorded on another dvdr, no cc through the HDMI connection to the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Can't record to HDD and DVD simultaneously.

When you get it back on, make sure Auto Clock is OFF!

That's most likely the culprit... rogue time signals.

post #14840 of 27999 Old 07-14-2011, 03:02 AM

Quote:

It was the cat, as he explained here.

Cat....

I opened the link and I found his explanation besides of advertizement of Neko Audio.

Is it popular brand in US??

By the way, Neko means Cat in Japanese.
post #14841 of 27999 Old 07-14-2011, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Dear 234,

I am trying to find my bad clock channels. How does 515H look for clock channel?

Start at lowest channel?
Start at current channel?
Search up or search down?
Search TV first or DTV first?
No search if clock channel is already found?

It would be good to show clock channel on a SKIP display.

Thank you.
post #14842 of 27999 Old 07-14-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

BuTal63,

Sorry if I made your comments seem out of context as that was not my intent.
post #14843 of 27999 Old 07-14-2011, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have been using Verbatim DVD-R for my Philips 3576 and they have been great. Just wondering if the new Verbatim Life Series is the same or better or worse. The local advertised price of $14.97 for 100 is certainly a great deal.
post #14844 of 27999 Old 07-14-2011, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I'd personally be very suspicious of any media that cheap.
post #14845 of 27999 Old 07-14-2011, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 338
The "life" series is basically Memorex, Maxell, TDK, etc. CMC landfill material, not like the AZO Verbatim DVDs. They might be OK for computer or duplicator use if your just looking for short term use but for archiving especially with a DVDR I'd stick with the AZO series.
post #14846 of 27999 Old 07-14-2011, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles_I View Post

I have been using Verbatim DVD-R for my Philips 3576 and they have been great. Just wondering if the new Verbatim Life Series is the same or better or worse. The local advertised price of $14.97 for 100 is certainly a great deal.

NO!

The Life Series is a cheaper build. The pkg must say DataLifePlus and have an "AZO" symbol on the front bottom portion.

Verbatim DVD±RW pkg should say Super Eutectic Recording Layer (SERL).

Info on Recommended DVDs is here.
post #14847 of 27999 Old 07-14-2011, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

234, did something get lost in translation? The unit IS working fine right now after the soft reset (with three hour disconnect). Are you still saying I need to disconnect for 24 hours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 234 View Post

Please pull off the power plug at once.
And leave it for a day.
Then, connect to other outlet.
If the unit does not work, fuse or some parts might suffer any damage.

post #14848 of 27999 Old 07-14-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post

234, did something get lost in translation? The unit IS working fine right now after the soft reset (with three hour disconnect). Are you still saying I need to disconnect for 24 hours?

Oh, I am sorry.
Get lost in translation.
I delete my post.
post #14849 of 27999 Old 07-14-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Dear 234,
I am trying to find my bad clock channels. How does 515H look for clock channel?

Start at lowest channel?
Start at current channel?
Search up or search down?
Search TV first or DTV first?
No search if clock channel is already found?

It would be good to show clock channel on a SKIP display.

Thank you.

(Our setting structure)

Auto-Clock -- Auto (1)
-- Manual -- Analog channel (2-1)
-- Digital channel (2-2)
-- Off

(1)
If you set "Auto-Clock--Auto", unit try to receive time signal from analog channel.
Unit search from lower set channel to upper until unit finds a time signal.
Once unit has received time signal, unit memories the channel and connect same channel next time.
If time signal is not contained in same channel, unit searches from lower channel until finding time signal again.

Analog signal contains TIME data suitable for your region.
Sometimes, broadcast station transfers other region TV program to his region (ex. LA station transfers NY TV program to LA residence) without exchange time signal.
In such case, unit receives NY time and memories it in the clock.

(2)
If you select "Auto-Clock -- Manual", you can select channel from analog and digital channels.
The receiving channel is fixed and unit does not attempt to find time signal channel even if time signal is not included in it.

(2-1)
If you select one of analog channel as time signal channel, unit receives time signal same as (1) but unit does not scan.

(2-2)
If you select one of digital channel, you also need to set your time zone.
Digital channel time signal contains GMT data (Greenwich Mean Time).
Unit combines GMT and time zone that you have set.
It means if the broadcast time data is trustable, digital auto clock is useful.
But our engineer doubts the reliability of the data.

I recommend;

1) Never use Auto-Clock -- Auto
2) Never select Auto-clock -- Manual -- Analog channel
3) If you do not mind unit sets incorrect time sometimes, you may choose "Auto-Clock -- Manual -- Digital channel".
4) If you are a nervous person for unit time, you had better turn off the auto-clock and adjust sometimes.

JoeKustra likes this.
post #14850 of 27999 Old 07-14-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:

NO!

The Life Series is a cheaper build. The pkg must say DataLifePlus and have an "AZO" symbol on the front bottom portion.

Verbatim DVD±RW pkg should say Super Eutectic Recording Layer (SERL).

Info on Recommended DVDs is here.

Generally speaking, usually thick disc is better than thin disc.
Most Japanese trusts Taiyo Yuden disc.
I trust TDK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page