Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 498 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1018Likes

post #14911 of 27986 Old 07-18-2011, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by minime18r View Post

Got nothing when I used L1 and r/w/y through front connections. L2 with r/w/y through the front connections, I got sound and no video. I had a similar problem when i was figuring out how to connect my copiall filter. Sound and no video. S-video solved that problem. There is no S-video out on my tv.

To me, that means you have L2 set for S-Video In instead of the Video In needed for YWR from your TV!

You must SET L1 and L2 to match the type of cable you use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14912 of 27986 Old 07-18-2011, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapler1234 View Post

I had a WD caviar black 1TB drive that died and I RMA'd it and they sent back a 2TB, so I guess it isn't even economic to make 1TB drives these days.

scott s.

Sony XBR-65A1E
post #14913 of 27986 Old 07-18-2011, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Got nothing when I used L1 and r/w/y through front connections. L2 with r/w/y through the front connections, I got sound and no video. I had a similar problem when i was figuring out how to connect my copiall filter. Sound and no video. S-video solved that problem. There is no S-video out on my tv.

did you go into general settings on the recorder and change L1 or L2 to VIDEO (not s-video) Sometimes these get swapped and when plugging in new devices we forget that the video/s-video input setting needs to be adjusted. (at least I always do!)

EDIT (naturally, Wajo beat me to it! )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14914 of 27986 Old 07-18-2011, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Press and hold the STOP button.

Holding down stop button has no effect.
post #14915 of 27986 Old 07-18-2011, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by videonutwo View Post

Holding down stop button has no effect.

Any chance the wrong/nonrecording drive is active/selected when pressing button and not the recording drive?

One press when on the recording drive should bring up a Yes/No dialog.
post #14916 of 27986 Old 07-18-2011, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Any chance the wrong/nonrecording drive is active/selected when pressing button and not the recording drive?

One press when on the recording drive should bring up a Yes/No dialog.

Umm...

Is this a 2160-515 we're talking about? How could it have more than one recording drive?

Unless...

Do you mean it might have been somehow set to DVD when the recording is actually happening on the hard drive (or the other way around)?

I've had stuff like that happen where I couldn't understand why a button wasn't working, only to realize the machine was set for "the other drive".
post #14917 of 27986 Old 07-19-2011, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Here's a weird one:

I have my new Mag 515 hooked up to cable via a splitter: coax directly to the 515 where it can get about 110 channels, and a second input from the STB to the DVR L1 via S-video and L+R audio cables. However, we discovered 3 channels on the basic cable feed that cannot be seen via the coax without an STB; one of these is the Travel Channel, which we DO want to record.

So last night, we taped that channel via the L1 input on the 515, direct from the STB via S-video and audio cables. It worked perfectly for the first 15 minutes of the recording, then, up popped a message that said something about our TV, the HDMI connection, and HDCP not being compatible. It recorded audio, but that video message stayed up for the remaining 45 minutes of the recording.

Just a guess here, but I'm thinking that "BleakHouse" cableco equipment sensed a STB output to a non-HDCP device (the 515??) and shut off the video feed. The TV was not on during the recording. When I called cableco today to enquire (politely), they suggested that I would get the same result on Travel Channel whether trying to record the HD version, or the SD version on a lower channel (I was trying to record from the HD version). They are sending a technician tomorrow to look at my set-up and discuss it with me.

There does not seem to be any other way to attempt to record this channel (Travel) and 2 others, since they are not available on either the analog or digital lists after a complete scan. When tuned in manually (via the DVR) they appear blank, although I can view them clearly via the L1 input from the STB (when not recording). Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, solutions, for this type of issue? Much appreciated.
post #14918 of 27986 Old 07-19-2011, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

MrNews, check out this help file section on TIPS for STB Users, esp. #3 on Connections.

Your setup prob. fits one of those tips, or variation thereof?

It sounds like your TV should be on with HDMI connection, and you should either NOT view thru DVDR while recording, or use a connection between DVDR and TV other than HDMI (or with HDMI if no joy).
post #14919 of 27986 Old 07-19-2011, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNews View Post

Here's a weird one:

I have my new Mag 515 hooked up to cable via a splitter: coax directly to the 515 where it can get about 110 channels, and a second input from the STB to the DVR L1 via S-video and L+R audio cables. However, we discovered 3 channels on the basic cable feed that cannot be seen via the coax without an STB; one of these is the Travel Channel, which we DO want to record.

So last night, we taped that channel via the L1 input on the 515, direct from the STB via S-video and audio cables. It worked perfectly for the first 15 minutes of the recording, then, up popped a message that said something about our TV, the HDMI connection, and HDCP not being compatible. It recorded audio, but that video message stayed up for the remaining 45 minutes of the recording.

Just a guess here, but I'm thinking that "BleakHouse" cableco equipment sensed a STB output to a non-HDCP device (the 515??) and shut off the video feed. The TV was not on during the recording. When I called cableco today to enquire (politely), they suggested that I would get the same result on Travel Channel whether trying to record the HD version, or the SD version on a lower channel (I was trying to record from the HD version). They are sending a technician tomorrow to look at my set-up and discuss it with me.

There does not seem to be any other way to attempt to record this channel (Travel) and 2 others, since they are not available on either the analog or digital lists after a complete scan. When tuned in manually (via the DVR) they appear blank, although I can view them clearly via the L1 input from the STB (when not recording). Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, solutions, for this type of issue? Much appreciated.

If possible connect your cable box to the TV with component cables instead of HDMI.

I get a HDCP error sometimes when recording from the cable box S-Video out to L1 input, when the cable box is also connected to the TV through a receiver with HDMI cables. It usually happens when I switch inputs multiple times on the receiver too fast while recording. When I use component video cables I never get that error.
LL
post #14920 of 27986 Old 07-19-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:

Here's a weird one:

[..]

My cable feed of BBCAM is scrambled and does not appear on the Mag 515H channel list (or any DVR/TV). I use the RNG110 and feed its RWY to the Mag and have never had any issues with recording or playback. The STB (HD only) connects to my AVR. Neither the AVR or TV were ever powered on during recordings. I hope you get this fixed. I am curious what model STB you have.
post #14921 of 27986 Old 07-19-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:

Your setup prob. fits one of those tips, or variation thereof?

It sounds like your TV should be on with HDMI connection, and you should either NOT view thru DVDR while recording, or use a connection between DVDR and TV other than HDMI (or with HDMI if no joy).

More or less. The only HDMI connection in my system is between the STB and my TV. The DVR gets input on L1 from the STB via S-video and L+R audio. The DVR outputs to the TV via component video and L+R audio.

Not sure why the HDCP message kicks in after ~15 mins, but maybe I should try losing the HDMI connection between STB and TV altogether, and use component video cables...

I'd rather not buy a $43 decoder box unless I'm certain it will solve the problem and I can't fix it any other way...
post #14922 of 27986 Old 07-19-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

If possible connect your cable box to the TV with component cables instead of HDMI.

I may try that, although I do get a better picture from the STB when using an HDMI cable, versus component cables. Slightly clearer picture and slightly stronger audio. So I'd sacrifice better PQ for the 75% of my viewing that is directly off the STB...

Or I may just revert to taping Tony Bourdain's show on VHS.

I'm curious to see what the cableco technician will tell me tomorrow, and if he will mention the decoder/converter boxes that some people use to solve this issue...

BTW, my STB is a Scientific Atlanta model 4250HD.
post #14923 of 27986 Old 07-19-2011, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

MrNews, I thought you said before that your TV wasn't ON. If so, that might be the cause since the STB doesn't sense a "legal" connection.
post #14924 of 27986 Old 07-19-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:

MrNews, I thought you said before that your TV wasn't ON. If so, that might be the cause since the STB doesn't sense a "legal" connection.

Wow, you might be onto something there! Thinking back to last night ( a major effort), I remember WATCHING the first 15 mins of the show, then turning off the TV at the first commercial stop-set. Just about the time the HDCP message shows up on the recording!!!

I will test this theory today, before swapping out any cables...
post #14925 of 27986 Old 07-19-2011, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Wow, you might be onto something there! Thinking back to last night ( a major effort), I remember WATCHING the first 15 mins of the show, then turning off the TV at the first commercial stop-set. Just about the time the HDCP message shows up on the recording!!!

I will test this theory today, before swapping out any cables...

If you find the answer is just leaving the TV on, I'd cancel the cable guy's visit. I wouldn't let him see or futz with my equipment when not necessary. Sad, but true... especially if you don't already have one of their rental DVRs!
post #14926 of 27986 Old 07-19-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:

If you find the answer is just leaving the TV on, I'd cancel the cable guy's visit. I wouldn't let him see or futz with my equipment when not necessary. Sad, but true... especially if you don't already have one of their rental DVRs!

It appears that you pegged it!! I recorded the Travel Channel's HD version from the STB to the DVR for 30 mins, shutting the TV set off at exactly 15:00. Upon playback, that's exactly when the video vanished and the HDCP message popped up. Trying same thing now with non-HD version of that channel. Then will test with an apparently non-CP channel, like History.

If this is indeed the answer, I will surely cancel the cable guy's "visit." No sense having them know any more about my set-up than they need to....
post #14927 of 27986 Old 07-19-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
To me, that means you have L2 set for S-Video In instead of the Video In needed for YWR from your TV!

You must SET L1 and L2 to match the type of cable you use.
How do you set L1 and L2 to match the type of cable you use?
post #14928 of 27986 Old 07-19-2011, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
How do you set L1 and L2 to match the type of cable you use?
Go to General Setting > Video > Video Input menu.
post #14929 of 27986 Old 07-19-2011, 01:14 PM

I had a philips 3455h dvd/hdd recorder that crapped out a few months ago(hard drive..apparently). I ended up getting an mdr515h to replace it.

Anyway, after finding this website, i ended up experimenting with the 3455h
and the hard drive...replacing it with a bigger IDE drive, smaller IDE drive.
I couldn't get a 250Gb IDE drive to work, but i had an old 80Gb IDE drive
that worked(or to put it another way...it booted up correctly).

Then i saw a note that some else tried an IDE->SATA conversion.
So i tried that with a 100Gb SATA drive i had laying around it it worked(once
again....it booted correctly). I also tried a 500Gb SATA and that didn't work.
I managed to find a 160Gb SATA(which is the size of the original IDE drive)
and that worked(once again.it booted correctly).

I ended up needing the following additional items to do this IDE->SATA conversion:

01) IDE->SATA conversion board (ebay for 7$ i think)
02) SATA data cable
03) 4 pin molex to SATA power cable
04) 4 pin molex 'Y' cable (to split the power....the IDE->SATA board required power)
05) SATA hard drive(160Gb...which i already had). Barracuda 7200RPM i think.....

This is still an ongoing project and I still need to figure out how to shoehorn everything
back into the case and put the cover on. I may just make the hard drive connections
'external' so i can swap hard drive if i need to.....but probably not.
As of yet, I have not recorded anything(i didn't get that far).
I did not experience any power problems(by using the Y splitter)...which i was worried about.

Troy - drevh
post #14930 of 27986 Old 07-19-2011, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
It may not be the actual tuner, but the set's firmware. Have you checked their web site to see if there is one?
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked and no updates.
post #14931 of 27986 Old 07-19-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
It appears that you pegged it!! I recorded the Travel Channel's HD version from the STB to the DVR for 30 mins, shutting the TV set off at exactly 15:00. Upon playback, that's exactly when the video vanished and the HDCP message popped up. Trying same thing now with non-HD version of that channel. Then will test with an apparently non-CP channel, like History.

Indeed, it appears this is the answer, and apparently not a Copy Protection issue. With my relatively straightforward set-up (attached), I tried recording a "STB required" channel (Travel) on both HD and non-HD versions, directly off the STB. In both cases, the HDCP warning replaced the video exactly when the TV set was turned off. The exact same thing happened with several other, standard tier channels recorded off the STB.

So the problem is, that with an HDMI cable involved (from the STB to the TV), one is required to leave the TV set on to record off the box. Another solution might be to replace the HDMI cable with component cables, however there is a slight PQ reduction when watching live TV.

It's impractical to keep both the STB and the TV on for a distant future recording, but for our purposes (recording a show that's on too late to stay awake for) it is OK. Fortunately, Travel is the only channel we want to record which does not appear in the DVR's analog/digital channel scan list.

DVRsetup.pdf 31.0830078125k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DVRsetup.pdf (31.1 KB, 54 views)
post #14932 of 27986 Old 07-19-2011, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Indeed, it appears this is the answer, and apparently not a Copy Protection issue. With my relatively straightforward set-up (attached), I tried recording a "STB required" channel (Travel) on both HD and non-HD versions, directly off the STB. In both cases, the HDCP warning replaced the video exactly when the TV set was turned off. The exact same thing happened with several other, standard tier channels recorded off the STB.

So the problem is, that with an HDMI cable involved (from the STB to the TV), one is required to leave the TV set on to record off the box. Another solution might be to replace the HDMI cable with component cables, however there is a slight PQ reduction when watching live TV.

It's impractical to keep both the STB and the TV on for a distant future recording, but for our purposes (recording a show that's on too late to stay awake for) it is OK. Fortunately, Travel is the only channel we want to record which does not appear in the DVR's analog/digital channel scan list.
Glad we found the answer!

NOW, you need to experiment with another setup that *might* work WITHOUT the TV on.
  1. Connect HDMI between the 515 and the TV.
  2. Set the 515's HDMI CEC (fun Link) to ON.
  3. Find a similar "HDMI link" option in your TV and turn that on.
  4. With TV OFF, record show that didn't work before.
The CEC link will turn your TV on automatically when it senses a signal from the 515's HDMI connection, and either (1) that HDMI connection might be seen as a "legal" connection, or (2) the normal HDMI connection to the STB will control since the TV is now on.

Not sure if you have to leave your TV on a specific HDMI input, but I don't think so.

There might be some other "tricks" involved but this test might tell us if we're on the right track?

Your TV could be set for a "time-out" to prevent it staying on for a long time after the recording?
post #14933 of 27986 Old 07-19-2011, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Glad we found the answer!

NOW, you need to experiment with another setup that *might* work WITHOUT the TV on.
  1. Connect HDMI between the 515 and the TV.
  2. Set the 515's HDMI CEC (fun Link) to ON.
  3. Find a similar "HDMI link" option in your TV and turn that on.
  4. With TV OFF, record show that didn't work before.
The CEC link will turn your TV on automatically when it senses a signal from the 515's HDMI connection, and either (1) that HDMI connection might be seen as a "legal" connection, or (2) the normal HDMI connection to the STB will control since the TV is now on.

Not sure if you have to leave your TV on a specific HDMI input, but I don't think so.

There might be some other "tricks" involved but this test might tell us if we're on the right track?

Your TV could be set for a "time-out" to prevent it staying on for a long time after the recording?

Glad you reminded me - I meant to ask you about "fun link"... I haven't tried it on the 515 since I was playing musical chairs with two recorders connected to an HDMI switch and I thought that might complicate matters. But, it would be interesting to see if the 515 + Panasonic work better than the 'backwards' way the 2160A + Panasonic used to work. Will check it out and let you know if it's better now. I think I'll ditch the switch and move that second recorder from tv input (via switch) to L1 input of the 515 since it just has a backlog of recordings I want to dub and delete now. (previously it was used for live recordings) I think I see a weekend reorganization project brewing...
post #14934 of 27986 Old 07-19-2011, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

I think I see a weekend reorganization project brewing...

Sounds like fun!

If you go thru a switch, it might interfere with the CEC communication? First, the switch would have to be bidirectional.
post #14935 of 27986 Old 07-19-2011, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hey guys - I've been running strong with this for a couple, few years, but I now have a problem with the Phillips version of this box...

The HDMI out stopped working. I didn't work when I turned it back on after a few hours. The HDMI button that changes resolution will not work either - nothing, dead. It is being fed a basic cable signal from the coax in.

I did the soft reset - to no avail. I got the video working with a component cable, but looks like hell and I need the HDMI for my projector. I got back into the menu but everything looks OK.

I also changed HDMI cables. Am I missing something?

Please, I need some suggestions.
post #14936 of 27986 Old 07-19-2011, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Well, Component shouldn't "look like hell" so I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the amplified coax circuit, for one, or maybe it just needs Progressive scan turned on?

Have you tried playing a high-quality commercial DVD movie thru HDMI and see if it's really the output and not something internal, like the coax circuit and it's internal connections?
post #14937 of 27986 Old 07-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Progressive scan is on but looks nowhere near what the HDMI looked like. It is grainy with the cable in, and even Hor. rolls a bit on my best DVDs. Not a great picture compared to what I am used to...

I checked the HDMI 2 on the Samsung TV coming in from my PC and it works fine! Then I switched them with no difference. Can't figure this out. The HDMI in the menu is set to RGB.

UPDATE: when I first connect the HDMI cable in the back of the TV, 1080 flashes on the DVR display for a split second - then goes off.
post #14938 of 27986 Old 07-19-2011, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace5000 View Post

Progressive scan is on but looks nowhere near what the HDMI looked like. It is grainy with the cable in, and even Hor. rolls a bit on my best DVDs. Not a great picture compared to what I am used to...

I checked the HDMI 2 on the Samsung TV coming in from my PC and it works fine! Then I switched them with no difference. Can't figure this out. The HDMI in the menu is set to RGB.

UPDATE: when I first connect the HDMI cable in the back of the TV, 1080 flashes on the DVR display for a split second - then goes off.

So you connect HDMI with the TV on? Not good... I wonder if you did some damage to the HDMI board!?

If not, try setting HDMI to YCbCr, but just doesn't sound good so far.

The flashing 1080 for split second is normal. Try ratcheting thru the HDMI formats again and watch for each one to "flash" in the display momentarily.
post #14939 of 27986 Old 07-19-2011, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Wajo-

The HDMI was already not working when I was fooling with it... I was surprised to see the 1080 res. flash though. The HDMI button this has no effect however. I replaced the cable input with an OTA antenna input, and there was no effect - still out! Could the HDMI out be blown? I'm now thinking it is! I wonder how much a repair could be? Gosh darn it!
post #14940 of 27986 Old 07-19-2011, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

You can do a SKIP 789 and see if the HDMI is communicating. Connect the HDMI out to the TV, then go here to see what to do and what the test will reveal.

If you haven't done any SKIP procedures before, the SKIP instructions are in the 1st subject at the top of the page.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page