Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 518 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1018Likes

post #15511 of 27986 Old 08-20-2011, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleramon View Post

Hi y'all got an easy question I think. The lights went out yesterday and flickered a couple times before staying off and coming back on two hours later. My Mag515 won't come on. I unplugged it and even tried to press power for ten seconds. Is this thing dead? I have the walmart warranty. If it is dead what in y'alls opinion is my first move to get the Feb 11 bought machine replaced and if not fixed?

No, it just needs a Soft Reset, as described here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15512 of 27986 Old 08-20-2011, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Three hours to be safe starts....NOW!

Thanks.
post #15513 of 27986 Old 08-20-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:

Hi y'all got an easy question I think. The lights went out yesterday and flickered a couple times before staying off and coming back on two hours later. My Mag515 won't come on. I unplugged it and even tried to press power for ten seconds. Is this thing dead? I have the walmart warranty. If it is dead what in y'alls opinion is my first move to get the Feb 11 bought machine replaced and if not fixed?

Thanks Again.

If power glitches happen occasionally in your area you might want to think about a small UPS. They start under $40 and for ~$100 you could get one that would operate your 515 for several hours w/o power. The 515 is more like a computer than a VCR that may tolerate glitchy power. Just something to think about
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15514 of 27986 Old 08-20-2011, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

If power glitches happen occasionally in your area you might want to think about a small UPS. They start under $40 and for ~$100 you could get one that would operate your 515 for several hours w/o power. The 515 is more like a computer than a VCR that may tolerate glitchy power. Just something to think about

A good idea. I just got a 2nd one at my Walmart store for $39.94, an APC Back-UPS ES 350G (350VA 200W).

Since my 47" Vizio LCD uses ~400W per hour, I couldn't leave it on for long, but could safely shut things down until power is restored. Prevents HDD damage if it's recording at the time.
post #15515 of 27986 Old 08-20-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:

It is rare but that UPS thing sound good for my modem and router when the power does goes out. I'll check it out.

These don't last that long. I checked out a 500 dollar one on Amazon and they last only seven minutes. This must be for flicker outages more so.
post #15516 of 27986 Old 08-20-2011, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:

These don't last that long. I checked out a 500 dollar one on Amazon and they last only seven minutes. This must be for flicker outages more so.

UPS time is generally rated at their full output. A 600 Watt USP may last only a short time at 600 watts but at 100 or even 50(which is probably what a 515 and modem/router would draw) they would last for hours. Computers and even more so TVs/monitors draw much more power.
When figuring out min. UPS size you need to add up all the watts of what you plan on running through it(the battery side, not surge protection only side) and get a USP size no less than that. It never hurts to go larger, in fact as said it gives you a longer run time to oversize your UPS.
For a larger size something like this or a similar Triplite(which my local Costco stocks for <$100, but can't find on-line) would work fine. For even less money a APC like Wajo mentioned would get the job done.
I have a couple smaller APCs like Wajos(one for a PC and another one for the monitor) but I run the majority of my AV rack off one like I linked(but a Triplite brand).
Not sure how big the $500 is you spoke of but it sounds like a overkill for what you mentioned. The downside to a larger UPS is the battery is much more expensive to replace when the day comes, and it will. UPS batteries generally last ~4 years and depending on where you buy it, it can come close to the cost of a new UPS
post #15517 of 27986 Old 08-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I live in the lightning capital of the world, central Florida. My home entertainment system currently includes two UPSes, one 1100VA , the other 2200VA. The 12 outlets they provide fall short by more than double that number. The 3300VA capacity gives me the ability to finish watching or recording a movie while the rest of the neighborhood doesn't even have power, though if the power stays off more than a few minutes I power down all but the TV and whichever source is feeding it at the time. I really don't like resetting the clocks and other memories in all those devices. Using two instead of one UPS prevents total lack of protection when either get to battery replacement time, or break.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #15518 of 27986 Old 08-20-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:

Three hours to be safe starts....NOW!

Thanks.

The soft reset worked like a charm! Thanks for that.

The UPS might be handy with the modem cause I have a net book that gets eight hours so if I plug the just modem into the UPS and an ethernet cord into netbook I'll still get internet for however long.
post #15519 of 27986 Old 08-20-2011, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

If you want to get ~2hr+ power-out time with the 515, you can set your Auto Clock for a "MANUAL" channel. You can pick any major network channel if you don't care if that channel has a time signal and you just want to get an extended power-out time.

If you ALSO want to see if you have any good time signals in your channel lineup, you can use The 11:57 Procedure, described here, to select a channel that you can CONFIRM has a good time signal. Then you'd have a working (nondestructive) Auto Clock and extended power-out time.

The Soft Reset's "at least 2 hours" wait is based on worst-case where a user has set a Manual Auto Clock channel.
post #15520 of 27986 Old 08-20-2011, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Speaking of soft resets, I am now going on my third week of not needing one- no lock/freeze. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I have made sure my 515 always turns off/goes to standby on a digital channel. Maybe if it is good for another week or so, I'll try letting it go to standby on an analog channel and see how it behaves.

Because I have not had to do a soft reset, I haven't been able to experiment with the minimum time required for it to be unplugged before the reset works and whether a shorter time would save the timer programs.

No lock ups on my other 515 either after the only one when I was setting it up and doing a channel scan. It is always on L1.
post #15521 of 27986 Old 08-20-2011, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post

Speaking of soft resets, I am now going on my third week of not needing one- no lock/freeze. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I have made sure my 515 always turns off/goes to standby on a digital channel. Maybe if it is good for another week or so, I'll try letting it go to standby on an analog channel and see how it behaves.

Because I have not had to do a soft reset, I haven't been able to experiment with the minimum time required for it to be unplugged before the reset works and whether a shorter time would save the timer programs.

No lock ups on my other 515 either after the only one when I was setting it up and doing a channel scan. It is always on L1.

Me too. Haven't had any lockups in over 2 months as long as I keep tuner in DTV mode on power-up & down.

Large HD8200XL antenna with HDB91X and RCA preamp and a RCA VH226F rotor motor
,aimed at Mt. Wilson (Los Angeles) from Etiwanda area.
CM3410 Dist. amp in attic for a 5 room hookup.
Located in foothills behind Mt. Baldy, and experiencing signal loss and pixelation depending on time of day.
post #15522 of 27986 Old 08-20-2011, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like we are on to something. Did you have a lot of lockups before that? I had about five in the first couple of weeks I had the 515.

Kind of a pain to make sure it doesn't turn off on an analog channel. I have to program a digital channel timer for a two minute recording immediately after an analog recording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrymc777 View Post

Me too. Haven't had any lockups in over 2 months as long as I keep tuner in DTV mode on power-up & down.

post #15523 of 27986 Old 08-21-2011, 03:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

.....The downside to a larger UPS is the battery is much more expensive to replace when the day comes, and it will. UPS batteries generally last ~4 years and depending on where you buy it, it can come close to the cost of a new UPS

That's the best point. Before buying a new one I always first look at the cost of a replacement battery or batteries.

After (barely) surviving hurricane Katrina and Rita, I got a whole-house generator (NG). When the next one came through the power was out again for about a WEEK, but the generator powered the entire house without a single issue (best $5k we ever spent). I still use UPS units on all electronic devices because we're prone to outages and a crappy elec company/bad hardware that constantly cause that annoying rapid cyclic off/on/off/on that can fry an electronic device. UPS units protect from that, plus it takes about 20 secs for the generator to come on and during that time the UPS protects those non-capacitor backup products that will loose their memory/programming.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #15524 of 27986 Old 08-21-2011, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been following the discussions re UPS. Always planned on getting one for the HT system - "someday."

Well gentlemen, last night I had the whole HT system turned on and the 515 was busy recording to the HDD while I was watching chase play. It was a beautiful night, no storm activity at all.

Suddenly, the room lights, which were on dimly, surged in brightness way past the normal max, surged again, after which I was left sitting in the dark - no power. To make matters worse, the lights surged on again THREE more times and then off, flickered wildly a couple times and then a two hour wait to see how much of the gear was going to have to be replaced.

We had had a major storm and power outage 4 days earlier, which had apparently caused weakness in a tree a couple miles from here. Came down and took out critical lines for the entire nearby community.

I've seen bad power failures with contiguous major spikes like this one in the past, but normally they've happened when they're turning the juice back on and I've already shut down the gear or the gear was off beforehand due to storm warnings. This one caught me flatfooted.

Long story short - no damage to the electronics. I'm overjoyed to report that the Maggie is one hell of a stable piece of gear! Yes, that's no excuse for me not having a UPS and that WILL be corrected. All the gear is plugged into a couple of those power strips that do have a minimum of protection, but I doubt it's what made the difference here.

I checked the 515 and it had merely stopped recording at the point the power failed. All stored titles were in place and the 515 began recording again on command. Even the clock did not lose a tick! I set the clock manually one time when I first got the unit and continue to use the manual setting, so it's not picking up the time signal from tv programming. It has never gained or lost a second. Amazing.

I know I was lucky and I won't stretch that luck any further.

Yet another testimonial from a satisfied customer!
post #15525 of 27986 Old 08-21-2011, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
All I can say is that the power situation is going to get worse before it, if ever, gets better. The margin of capacity is nearing the limits, and more plants are being taken out of service as time goes on. Nothing is being built to replace them.
More demand , less capacity... Hmm, what d'ya think? Better or worse?
I know what I expect.
tom
post #15526 of 27986 Old 08-21-2011, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I'm happy with the quality of my power. They buried the cable 12 years ago, so downed trees don't take out the power. Improved safety comes with it, no live wires down.
post #15527 of 27986 Old 08-21-2011, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post

Looks like we are on to something. Did you have a lot of lockups before that? I had about five in the first couple of weeks I had the 515.

Kind of a pain to make sure it doesn't turn off on an analog channel. I have to program a digital channel timer for a two minute recording immediately after an analog recording.

I did have lockups but had a Funai engineer come by a few months back to document everything and of course it locked up on him too while powering up in analog mode.

Sounds like these cable systems are sending out analog signals that screw up the 515 tuner during power up boot sequence. IMO

Large HD8200XL antenna with HDB91X and RCA preamp and a RCA VH226F rotor motor
,aimed at Mt. Wilson (Los Angeles) from Etiwanda area.
CM3410 Dist. amp in attic for a 5 room hookup.
Located in foothills behind Mt. Baldy, and experiencing signal loss and pixelation depending on time of day.
post #15528 of 27986 Old 08-21-2011, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks. I feel a lot more comfortable now that this unit is not going to be a problem.

Glad Funai is investigating. Maybe they'll come up with a firmware solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrymc777 View Post

I did have lockups but had a Funai engineer come by a few months back to document everything and of course it locked up on him too while powering up in analog mode.

Sounds like these cable systems are sending out analog signals that screw up the 515 tuner during power up boot sequence. IMO

post #15529 of 27986 Old 08-21-2011, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat View Post

I'm happy with the quality of my power. They buried the cable 12 years ago, so downed trees don't take out the power. Improved safety comes with it, no live wires down.

Not having above ground power is normal and nice in most cities. I miss it. My borough is just the opposite. You might remember a few years ago when CA had rolling outages. That got me into the power backup planning in a serious way. I lived in CA (San Mateo) and would get 5 minutes notice for a 90 minute blackout. But the web page was nice:

http://www.caiso.com/outlook/SystemStatus.html

Now my power is really bad and I feel better with a nice 1500VA UPS for my entertainment stuff and a 1500VA UPS for my computer. Each has an extra battery pack. I have several smaller ones too. And if they get low, I have a 2500W inverter for resistive loads and a 1500W inverter for inductive loads, like the fridge & oil burner. I get about two short power failures a month. So far I have had three this month, the last one six hours ago during a nice storm. The electric company will cut power for 6 minutes if any surge is detected. They have a good web site too. The pure sine wave inverter has paid for itself by keeping the freezer running for 12 hours last fall. An unlucky squirrel I think.

The 515H has a good power supply. But I'm really lazy and hate to reprogram stuff.
post #15530 of 27986 Old 08-22-2011, 02:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat View Post

It's buried in this area too, but that doesn't help with feeder lines from other areas that are still above ground. We're still at the mercy of those.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #15531 of 27986 Old 08-22-2011, 02:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuTal63 View Post

.....I checked the 515 and it had merely stopped recording at the point the power failed. All stored titles were in place and the 515 began recording again on command.

When you say "on command" do you mean it automatically started recording again, or you had to manually tell it?

Quote:

Even the clock did not lose a tick!* I set the clock manually one time when I first got the unit and continue to use the manual setting, so it's not picking up the time signal from tv programming. It has never gained or lost a second. Amazing.

I guess that* would depend on how long the outage lasted. I've heard of numerous problems with the auto clock setting on these units, but you use manual and say it's been fine. So I'm curious as to why everyone doesn't use the manual method if its clock is accurate without the auto setting enabled.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #15532 of 27986 Old 08-22-2011, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

After a 45 minute power outage here yesterday, my 513H was completely dead. A soft reset worked perfectly for me. Thanks.

Edit: Soft reset was required and worked perfectly on both of my 513Hs.
post #15533 of 27986 Old 08-22-2011, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. View Post

I guess that* would depend on how long the outage lasted. I've heard of numerous problems with the auto clock setting on these units, but you use manual and say it's been fine. So I'm curious as to why everyone doesn't use the manual method if its clock is accurate without the auto setting enabled.

My 513 gains about 4 seconds a day. Every two weeks I would manually set it back a minute. I now have it on auto, but with a manual digital channel.
post #15534 of 27986 Old 08-22-2011, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

When you say "on command" do you mean it automatically started recording again, or you had to manually tell it?

My $10 Walmart watch loses about 1 second per month. My 2160A gains about 5 seconds per month. My 515H gains about 5 seconds per week. I guess it's all relative.

About time: time.nist.gov is working but time.windows.com seems to be down for a while.
post #15535 of 27986 Old 08-22-2011, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Two reasons:

1. You can get a good Auto Clock signal without fear of it finding a rogue signal by using The 11:57 Procedure to find and CONFIRM a good time signal. You set a MANUAL channel so it searches ONLY that channel and can't run across a rogue channel during the all-channel search with Auto Clock set to ON.

2. You get additional power-backup time with any Auto Clock option on, MANUAL is best of course. The normal 30-sec for 3575/3576/2080/2160/2160A goes to 2+ min., and on the MDR's people regularly go from the normal 1-hr to 2 hrs, and on one case to 60 hrs! with a MANUAL channel set.
post #15536 of 27986 Old 08-22-2011, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Just a 515 cooling fan questions:

Upon arising this morning, I detected a very slight sound coming from my new bedroom equipment stack. I realized that the fan on my #2 515 unit was running, even though the unit was in standby mode. The air coming out of the fan was barely warm, so there was no great heat being generated. The 515 is at the bottom of a non-enclosed stack, with a totally cool VCR above it (see attached pic). The unit had been turned on approximately 24 hours before, but had not made any timer recordings since last Thursday.

So I checked on my #1 515 unit in the living room, which had finished a timer recording 9 hours earlier, and the fan was also running, with the unit in standby. This one is in a glass-fronted cabinet (normally left open) on top of a little-used DVD player, with plenty of air space all around both.

Just to see what would happen, I powered on the #2 unit, left it alone for 30 seconds, then powered it off. Within 15 seconds, the fan stopped. Then followed the same procedure with 515 #1, with the same results.

What is the general experience with normal fan operations on the 515? Do these fans cycle on and off at certain times/heat levels/randomly? Obviously, the fan would be on when the unit is on and running (?), but how about at other times? The sound is not particularly loud (though discernible), and I do not have a harmonic buzz...yet.

Thanks.

post #15537 of 27986 Old 08-22-2011, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNews View Post

Just a 515 cooling fan questions:

What is the general experience with normal fan operations on the 515? Do these fans cycle on and off at certain times/heat levels/randomly? Obviously, the fan would be on when the unit is on and running (?), but how about at other times? The sound is not particularly loud (though discernible), and I do not have a harmonic buzz...yet.

Thanks.

Fascinating! I'm going to remove the case on my 2160A and see if a blow dryer can warm it up. When in standby the fan should only come on during recording and at 12am/pm. Unless 234 can find out for us that there is a termal sensor. I wish you had a Kill-A-Watt to monitor power use.

Don't try this at home kids. My 515H is the active unit, the 2160A is for testing things.
post #15538 of 27986 Old 08-22-2011, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Additional data:

Ambient room temperature is 79.5 - 80.5° F. This is normal for our home in summer, with the AC cycling on/off about 2-3X per hour. I turned both units on, and they powered up normally and the fans came on. Turned power off, and fans went off about 10-15 seconds later.

So perhaps when the units powered on for their midnight Auto Clock Set (Manual mode using Fox-digital channel), they both "forgot" to turn their fans off afterwards?? Seems odd, and perhaps yet another reason to NOT use Auto Clock Set at all.....
post #15539 of 27986 Old 08-22-2011, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNews View Post

Are you in a basement without electricity? You know, since the cords are all going "up".

God Bless,
-Clint
post #15540 of 27986 Old 08-22-2011, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

...And if they get low, I have a 2500W inverter for resistive loads and a 1500W inverter for inductive loads, like the fridge & oil burner...

• What are the manufacturers and models of the inverters?
  • What did they cost?
  • What powers them?
Interesting solution, compared to a gasoline generator with a crossover switch.

NICE web site!!!

Thanks!

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page