Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 822 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1026Likes

post #24631 of 28014 Old 11-17-2013, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

I'd try the reset button before throwing it away. It's inside the recorder so you need to take the top cover off. It's a small push button located on the lower circuit board near the front of the recorder and is labeled SW1501.
Do you do that powered on with cover off?

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24632 of 28014 Old 11-17-2013, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I spot check burns from my Pioneers in any of my 5 Funais by skipping to each chapter and playing back from a 5 second v.replay through the chapter point. On a routine check a while ago, at about 30min into a fresh burn, my #4, purchased refurb from Planet73 January 2012, locked up on press of v.replay button. No matter how many times I tried the eject button, before and after cycling the power, more than once, it refused to eject.

I tried to find the soft reset procedure in Wajo's help pages, expecting after so many edits after so long a time existing that this procedure would be clear. It's still not. I knew it roughly beforehand, particularly the --:-- part. The unclear part remaining is exactly when and for how long the --:-- should appear. Doing the procedure from memory, trying to hold button down until seeing --:--, it kept starting in DVD mode, and continued to refuse to eject. The problem is the distance between button and plug can be a logistical roadblock. I wasn't able to see the panel display at the instant I applied power, so wasn't sure I was ever getting --:--. So eventually, I dug out yet another extension cord, and a strip plug with switch, so I could flip the switch while facing the panel display. This time I did see --:--, then P-ON, but the transition came very quickly. So, I wasted the better part of an hour waiting for 10 minutes repeatedly before it became obvious reset succeeded, after which I was finally able to eject the disc. Anyone trying what I did with a 515/53X due to the extra long wait required for battery backup to die would be a whole lot more frustrated.

Skip 321 reports 1:50 write time, 49:13 read time, 0:00 CD time. The same freshly burned DVD-R, The Outsiders (1983) made from a 3.1GB SP recording, played normally after the reset. So, all seems good again. Hopefully it won't happen again after only just over 50 hours OM use.

post #24633 of 28014 Old 11-18-2013, 02:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post

No, they are honoring warranty and providing a replacement so I didn't want to break the seal. I'm sending it in for replacement.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24634 of 28014 Old 11-18-2013, 03:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2347 Post(s)
Liked: 2704
Quote:

No power.
post #24635 of 28014 Old 11-18-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

I think as soon as somebody has a good price on that new Samsung cable card box I'm going to get one. Amazon doesn't directly take Pay Pal and neither does wally world so probably get one from eBay when a good buy it now price comes up as I have 150 saved up on PP right now. I already have a HD HomeRun Prime and getting tired of paying 9 bucks a month for my Motorola box and 2 bucks each for the DTA's I've never activated.

Paypal is accepted by walmart.com as of last week.

Dartman likes this.
post #24636 of 28014 Old 11-18-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:

I think as soon as somebody has a good price on that new Samsung cable card box I'm going to get one. Amazon doesn't directly take Pay Pal and neither does wally world so probably get one from eBay when a good buy it now price comes up as I have 150 saved up on PP right now. I already have a HD HomeRun Prime and getting tired of paying 9 bucks a month for my Motorola box and 2 bucks each for the DTA's I've never activated.
I think I can live without my free on demand stuff. They were giving me the box for free but when I complained about paying 200 a month for one premiun channel they took the free box rent away and dropped my bill about 50 a month. It's not a bad box but not worth 9 a month to me at this point so bet if I complain again they'll drop the rent on it. Either way the samsung would be nice as my main box or for the bedrooms so I'll get one anyways soon, reveiws seem pretty good for what your paying.

It doesn't sound like it will worry you but for others wanting to hook something like this up to our DVD recorders, this Samsung is all but worthless :mad:

soapbox on

For whatever reason, and you can't convince me it's because of price (after all how much can it cost to add a lowly composite output jack when you can purchase something like a DVD player w/composite output for <$20) but it's only output is HDMI, no analog outputs whatsoever. Many people say analog is dead, and maybe in their limited world it is but for lots of people I know(many of whom don't even use DVD recorders) analog is alive and well. The people that say analog is dead are probably the same ones who say tube TVs are dead :rolleyes: like I said, in their small world it may be but again if they step out in the real world I think they'll see differently(BTW I've retired all my tube TVs but I still hold onto a nice Sony Wega I purchased new not too long ago, very nice picture but 24"(flat square corners) just doesn't cut it for me anymore in this 40"+ world).

soapbox off

Clint S. likes this.
post #24637 of 28014 Old 11-18-2013, 09:52 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

..... For whatever reason, and you can't convince me it's because of price (after all how much can it cost to add a lowly composite output jack when you can purchase something like a DVD player w/composite output for <$20) but it's only output is HDMI, no analog outputs whatsoever....

It's probably a bit more involved than just adding the lowly composite output jack....
You would also need the digital-to-analog converter, scaler, and other associated circuitry to feed that lowly output . . .

To anyone interested in a Google Chromebox or Chromebook..
Be aware that these boxes run a variant of Linux and DO NOT support HDCP!!!
This means no support for HD on most streaming services. I wish I would have known this beforehand....

Blu-rays & DVD's
post #24638 of 28014 Old 11-18-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

It's probably a bit more involved than just adding the lowly composite output jack....
You would also need the digital-to-analog converter, scaler, and other associated circuitry to feed that lowly output . . .

I own two iView HD OTA converter/DVR boxes that both output 480i to it's lowly composite output, they also output HD to it's HDMI and component outputs, they sell for <$40 new........

I don't care what anybody says, this is DRM(and large companies that own too many entities) at work and it's not for our benefit 

post #24639 of 28014 Old 11-18-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I own two iView HD OTA converter/DVR boxes that both output 480i to it's lowly composite output, they also output HD to it's HDMI and component outputs, they sell for <$40 new........
Would be nice to have a link to the iView product. I am not pleased with the performance of similar converters I have, and know I will need a quantity of respectable performers at such time when I may need to replace my current TV that has a reasonable, though inadequate for my needs, selection of inputs.
Quote:
I don't care what anybody says, this is DRM(and large companies that own too many entities) at work and it's not for our benefit 
With any luck, I'll not outlive my current TV. HDMI switching performance is dismal by the very DRM design, making input selection, PIP and POP painfully slow, and likely responsible for dearth of TVs available featuring PIP/POP.

post #24640 of 28014 Old 11-18-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:

Would be nice to have a link to the iView product. I am not pleased with the performance of similar converters I have, and know I will need a quantity of respectable performers at such time when I may need to replace my current TV that has a reasonable, though inadequate for my needs, selection of inputs......

http://www.amazon.com/iView-3500STB-DTV-Converter-Box/dp/B00BFIJQ10/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384807721&sr=8-1&keywords=iview+3500stbii

http://www.amazon.com/3500STBII-Digital-Converter-Pass-Through-Capability/dp/B00GOILYB6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1384807721&sr=8-3&keywords=iview+3500stbii

The first link is the ones I have, <$40 shipped, the second link is the same but with the improved remote(the original remote really sucked and I purchased a replacement for $5 from iView). I'd suggest ordering the second for the better remote. When you attach a USB HDD to either it will give you a single channel HD DVR. I like my iViews but as the price might suggest they aren't something like a $700 Tivo, they have their quirks and the guide being PSIP only goes out a few days at that. Of course you can still program VCR style(as I do) and they do work better for OTA that QAM which like the Magnavoxes tend to get somewhat flaky.

Official AVS iView thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1465875/iview-3500stb-tuner-dvr-owners-thread

post #24641 of 28014 Old 11-18-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Glad I asked and you replied jjeff. I thought the discussion was about devices designed to down convert HDMI output to analog in order to record on our DVRs from devices with no analog out, or vice versa, up convert from a device with only analog output to HDMI for input to a TV lacking (sufficient) analog input(s).

OTOH, the iView looks like a potential upgrade from a DigitalStream, as well as a workaround for Funai's excessively dark ATSC performance, and my LG's excessively low contrast ATSC and QAM performance.

post #24642 of 28014 Old 11-18-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

It doesn't sound like it will worry you but for others wanting to hook something like this up to our DVD recorders, this Samsung is all but worthless mad.gif
soapbox on
For whatever reason, and you can't convince me it's because of price (after all how much can it cost to add a lowly composite output jack when you can purchase something like a DVD player w/composite output for <$20) but it's only output is HDMI, no analog outputs whatsoever. Many people say analog is dead, and maybe in their limited world it is but for lots of people I know(many of whom don't even use DVD recorders) analog is alive and well. The people that say analog is dead are probably the same ones who say tube TVs are dead rolleyes.gif like I said, in their small world it may be but again if they step out in the real world I think they'll see differently(BTW I've retired all my tube TVs but I still hold onto a nice Sony Wega I purchased new not too long ago, very nice picture but 24"(flat square corners) just doesn't cut it for me anymore in this 40"+ world).
soapbox off
Yeah, it wont be a problem for me that it doesn't have any other outputs but HDMI as I do have the prime for recording anything I want, just be nice to have a decent box that I don't have to pay rent on, trying to save money where possible and still have decent TV service. As far as the outputs I'm sure a lot of it is keeping the movie and music industry happy plus saving money on not having a bunch of extra output jacks and whatever it takes to make them work.
I just recently retired the 34" Toshiba 34HFX84 I bought in 2005 after the family got us a Sony 42ex440 LED/LCD 42" set for our new house last Xmas. I was pleasantly surpised to see the black levvel and veiwing angles are actually pretty good and it has a lot of pop to the picture so didn't need the old dinosour anymore.
I hate seeing perfectly good gear being tossed or made useless by new tech or DRM crap like all the cable companies are doing so my beloved 3575 is now useless and I had to buy and rent new stuff to do what I used to for free with mu own gear.
Sounds like that other box being talked about here is a good solution for some folks too seeing how it sounds like it can record to a hard drive in possibly HD.
Clint S. likes this.
post #24643 of 28014 Old 11-20-2013, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Paypal is accepted by walmart.com as of last week.
Thanks for that, missed it till yesterday and tonight I ordered one of the 530 Samsungs from Wally World with the money I have been saving in Pay Pal doing surveys cool.gif Site to store for free, supposedly in stock and will probably pick it up tomorrow after work and see how I like it. Already have the gig network, 2 media players, the HD HomeRun Prime, and a DCH3200 Box that I like but MAY be returning depending on how well it works out and any other deals I can get outa them when I take back the DTA's I never used and get another Cable Card.
post #24644 of 28014 Old 11-21-2013, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:

Thanks for that, missed it till yesterday and tonight I ordered one of the 530's from Wally World with the money I have been saving in Pay Pal doing surveys cool.gif Site to store for free, supposedly in stock and will probably pick it up tomorrow after work and see how I like it. Already have the gig network, 2 media players, the HD HomeRun Prime, and a DCH3200 Box that I like but MAY be returning depending on how well it works out and any other deals I can get outa them when I take back the DTA's I never used and get another Cable Card.

FYI: network and cable card are not a Magnavox issue since it doesn't use either one.

post #24645 of 28014 Old 11-21-2013, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Question from a newbie. I have hundreds of VHS tapes that I want to be able to transfer to DVD and/or the computer. I'm primarily transferring bootleg concerts, so the quality of the source varies dramatically.  I've been doing some research and it seems that the Magnavox would do the trick. I feel like something like the 533 would work well for me based on price, quality, warranty, etc. Is there any reason these units would not be the best choice for my intended purpose? Thanks!

post #24646 of 28014 Old 11-21-2013, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 207

Sounds like the 533 would be ideal... I used previous versions of these newest models for my big VHS transfer some time ago. Tedious with so many but pretty easy. I eventually got into "backing up" my commercial VHS movies and DVDs using a filter. See page 1 list, subject 4.h for more info on that.

post #24647 of 28014 Old 11-21-2013, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg28 View Post

Question from a newbie. I have hundreds of VHS tapes that I want to be able to transfer to DVD and/or the computer. I'm primarily transferring bootleg concerts, so the quality of the source varies dramatically.  I've been doing some research and it seems that the Magnavox would do the trick. I feel like something like the 533 would work well for me based on price, quality, warranty, etc. Is there any reason these units would not be the best choice for my intended purpose? Thanks!

It will work, but what you have to decide is what result you are aiming for. If you want to minimize storage size (on DVD format) then it is very good because you can select the compression level you want from the get-go with minimum fuss. But, if you want to do some processing on the files to reduce noise for example, you probably want the highest quality transfer. Then to actually do the filtering you would need to transfer the files from DVD to computer, and having the 4Gb limit of DVD is a bit of a challenge for that. So in that case getting a capture card for your computer I think would make more sense.

scott s.

Sony XBR-65A1E
post #24648 of 28014 Old 11-21-2013, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2316 Post(s)
Liked: 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott967 View Post

So in that case getting a capture card for your computer I think would make more sense.
While I would agree, the caveat is that most of the better capture devices (card or USB) have hardware encoders that encode straight to H.264/AVC. That is a modern encoding format compatible with BluRay and incompatible with DVD Video which is strictly MPEG-2. To author a DVD Video the capture would have to be recoded yet again as MPEG-2.

So if someone wants to capture VHS and definitely burn DVD Video, I would recommend a DVD Recorder at this point.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #24649 of 28014 Old 11-21-2013, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

FYI: network and cable card are not a Magnavox issue since it doesn't use either one.
Yeah, sorry about that, I just edited that post to say the530 Samsung Cable card tuner media box. I got the numbers confused as there are a lot of close model number in here. Unboxed it but haven't picked up another card yet, but I will have to dig up another short gig capable network cable and maybe split the cable to test it out soon.
The extra goodies MIGHT be handy if they are easier to use and access then my media player are, we'll see. The box itself is very thin and small compared to my old school Motorola DCH3200 box.
Has a Optical out jack, HDMI, Ethernet, and 2 USB ports, one in the front, one in back. Not sure if it has any front display at all yet as haven't powered it up.
post #24650 of 28014 Old 11-22-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Sounds like the 533 would be ideal... I used previous versions of these newest models for my big VHS transfer some time ago. Tedious with so many but pretty easy. I eventually got into "backing up" my commercial VHS movies and DVDs using a filter. See page 1 list, subject 4.h for more info on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott967 View Post

It will work, but what you have to decide is what result you are aiming for. If you want to minimize storage size (on DVD format) then it is very good because you can select the compression level you want from the get-go with minimum fuss. But, if you want to do some processing on the files to reduce noise for example, you probably want the highest quality transfer. Then to actually do the filtering you would need to transfer the files from DVD to computer, and having the 4Gb limit of DVD is a bit of a challenge for that. So in that case getting a capture card for your computer I think would make more sense.

scott s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

While I would agree, the caveat is that most of the better capture devices (card or USB) have hardware encoders that encode straight to H.264/AVC. That is a modern encoding format compatible with BluRay and incompatible with DVD Video which is strictly MPEG-2. To author a DVD Video the capture would have to be recoded yet again as MPEG-2.

So if someone wants to capture VHS and definitely burn DVD Video, I would recommend a DVD Recorder at this point.

Thank you all for your input. At the end of the day, I have to be able to convert to PC storage. I'd prefer both DVD and PC copies. I thought I could record to the HDD and then make a DVD from it as well as transfer from the HDD to the PC. But apparently that's not quite the case. It appears that I may have more research to do and I think I found another thread where my inquiries will be more appropriate. Thanks again!

post #24651 of 28014 Old 11-22-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

Question from a newbie. I have hundreds of VHS tapes that I want to be able to transfer to DVD and/or the computer. I'm primarily transferring bootleg concerts, so the quality of the source varies dramatically.  I've been doing some research and it seems that the Magnavox would do the trick. I feel like something like the 533 would work well for me based on price, quality, warranty, etc. Is there any reason these units would not be the best choice for my intended purpose?
Quote:

At the end of the day, I have to be able to convert to PC storage. I'd prefer both DVD and PC copies. I thought I could record to the HDD and then make a DVD from it as well as transfer from the HDD to the PC. But apparently that's not quite the case. 

The fly in your ointment is the type of tapes you want to digitize: "bootleg concerts whose quality varies dramatically." These can be a major PITA to encode, because they are full of visible and "invisible" signal defects that drive digital encoders crazy. With this type of source tape, you don't always get to use the workflow or file format thats most convenient for you: sometimes compromise is necessary.

I can tell you straight up, if you attempt to digitize "hundreds" of concert bootlegs with a PC video device, you will lose your mind. PC inputs have poor reactions to perfect VHS: with second, third or fourth generation bootlegs they often go totally haywire. Making them work reasonably well can require expensive additional hardware and a lot more effort than a DVD recorder, typically with similar or worse results for your pains.

The Magnavox is a good recorder for TV or dubbing small numbers of "normal" tapes that were recorded directly off TV or made with a camcorder. But it isn't ideal for "hundreds of concert bootlegs" - it uses an encoder optimized for clean TV signals. In my experience, it makes jumpy dubs from poorer-quality tapes, and its interface does not lend itself to quick, intuitive organization of dubs. BUT: I would definitely try it ahead of any PC device. WalMart has an extended return/refund policy on these units: you can buy one, try it with your worst tapes, and if you discover problems in dubbing just send it back.

Other brands of DVD/HDD recorder tended to add various circuit "stabilizers" to their line inputs that made them somewhat better at coping with poor tapes than the Magnavox, they also had a more streamlined interface and more extensive editing features. Unfortunately these have all been discontinued, with the exception of the "grey market import" Panasonic DMR-EH59 sold thru web dealers like B&H Photo/Video. The EH59 does not have a tuner usable in USA, but you wouldn't need that for VHS dubbing, and it is a very popular recorder among "power users" here on AVS. You will find multiple threads from knowledgeable owners here, who are very happy with it.

The drawback you face with either of these DVD recorders is no direct ability to get their digital recordings onto a PC. You can only make a standard DVD, then rip it to your PC hard drive. From there, you can either use various media players that will treat the rip as a "virtual dvd," or convert the DVD rips to something like MP4 files. Handling the rips as virtual dvds is much simpler and preserves their quality 100%, converting them to MP4 or AVI is tricky and almost always exacts a quality loss.

So its a difficult decision: a DVD/HDD recorder is much more forgiving of poor quality VHS input, but essentially traps you with the DVD format forever. If you prefer to make extensive use of your concert footage in streaming boxes, tablets or phones, you'll need to bite the bullet and accept the truly fugly PC workflow. The PC will involve a (possibly long) learning curve, a variety of software, and likely an external signal processor like the $229 AVT-8710. The end result is general-purpose video files you can play in anything, including a BluRay player (but not all DVD players unless you reformat the files for DVD, which is another tricky process).
post #24652 of 28014 Old 11-22-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:

At the end of the day, I have to be able to convert to PC storage. I'd prefer both DVD and PC copies. I thought I could record to the HDD and then make a DVD from it as well as transfer from the HDD to the PC. But apparently that's not quite the case.
Well, DVD and PC copies are pretty much the same from a data perspective. It's more a matter of the container and the time involved to get stuff off a DVD recorder. You would make the digital transfer of the VHS tape using the DVD recorder. As noted, the only way to get the transfer out of the DVD recorder is to burn it off onto DVD-R. If you choose, you can edit it on the DVDR before burning to make a finished DVD -- or just burn the "raw" footage to a DVD-RW and edit it on the PC before authoring a compilation to a DVD-R or BD-R. The format of the burned DVD-R/RW is DVD Video. You just put that disk in your PC and there are any number of programs available that will let you extract the individual titles from the disk and save them into any of the standard video containers -- .mpg, .m2ts, MKV, etc. As long as you leave the video format as MPEG-2, there is no re-encoding which means there is no loss in video quality since all you are doing is changing container format -- it's a very fast process that could take a minute or less per SD title -- it takes me ~2 min to save a 5GB HDTV recording as an .m2ts or .mpg file. All these standard containers can be played by almost any PC program like WMP or VLC. You could make compilations of any combination and author them to DVD at any time you needed -- it's all just a matter of some simple software.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #24653 of 28014 Old 11-22-2013, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

As long as you leave the video format as MPEG-2, there is no re-encoding which means there is no loss in video quality since all you are doing is changing container format -- it's a very fast process that could take a minute or less per SD title -- it takes me ~2 min to save a 5GB HDTV recording

One such program for quick and lossless generation of an MPEG-2 file from a DVD is good ol' VOB2MPG. Still serves me well.smile.gif

However, I recommend an older version, like 2.5 (what I use), because as with so many young developers of good, initially free programs, it seems once they start to hit middle age they sell out and either cripple the free version and/or load the installers with crapware like OpenCandy, etc.
post #24654 of 28014 Old 11-22-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

The format of the burned DVD-R/RW is DVD Video. You just put that disk in your PC and there are any number of programs available that will let you extract the individual titles from the disk and save them into any of the standard video containers -- .mpg, .m2ts, MKV, etc. As long as you leave the video format as MPEG-2, there is no re-encoding which means there is no loss in video quality since all you are doing is changing container format --

You are far more experienced with this sort of conversion than I am, so normally I would defer to you on the subject. But in this case I believe there is a little more to it: we aren't talking about converting true HDTV quality files recorded from a HTPC tuner, or even commercial-quality DVDs. Our friend greg28 is dealing with VHS sources, and not even *good* VHS: mostly borderline bootleg concert dubs. In my experience, once these are digitized to DVD, any attempt to extract them as standalone files results in a further degradation of quality- even a so called "lossless MPEG" extraction. Good VHS is a headache to encode or extract, poor VHS is a migraine. No matter what I do, I end up with horrendous interlacing or other artifacts in the extracted files that are not visible when playing the DVD as a DVD. I certainly don't rule out the possibility that I'm utterly incompetent at DVD file extraction, all I can say is I get far better extraction results when the source of the DVD dub is anything *but* VHS.

At this point, if a person suspects they even *remotely* might want independent video files instead of a stodgy standard DVD, they should probably try to learn the VHS-to-PC workflow. It is harder, the PC is balkier with VHS than most DVD recorders, and there may be expenses for additional hardware / software. But at the end you get standard files direct off the tape without hindrance from an intermediate DVD format. Ordinary, limited DVD players no longer rule home video: you can't even buy a new DVD player anymore aside from a few bargain-basement models. More versatile BluRay players and media players have taken over: all one needs to do is burn PC video files to a DVD disc as ordinary data, and most BD players will play them on TV. Media players are even easier: plug them into the PC and just copy the files over. Today the only absolute need for a standard-format DVD is compatibility with friends/family who don't have a BluRay player or media player: if you're doing the work, I don't think its too much to request they spend $79 to get a new player compatible with the files you make for them.
post #24655 of 28014 Old 11-22-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

The drawback you face with either of these DVD recorders is no direct ability to get their digital recordings onto a PC. You can only make a standard DVD, then rip it to your PC hard drive. From there, you can either use various media players that will treat the rip as a "virtual dvd," or convert the DVD rips to something like MP4 files. Handling the rips as virtual dvds is much simpler and preserves their quality 100%, converting them to MP4 or AVI is tricky and almost always exacts a quality loss.

So its a difficult decision: a DVD/HDD recorder is much more forgiving of poor quality VHS input, but essentially traps you with the DVD format forever. If you prefer to make extensive use of your concert footage in streaming boxes, tablets or phones, you'll need to bite the bullet and accept the truly fugly PC workflow. The PC will involve a (possibly long) learning curve, a variety of software, and likely an external signal processor like the $229 AVT-8710. The end result is general-purpose video files you can play in anything, including a BluRay player (but not all DVD players unless you reformat the files for DVD, which is another tricky process).

Quote:

Well, DVD and PC copies are pretty much the same from a data perspective. It's more a matter of the container and the time involved to get stuff off a DVD recorder. You would make the digital transfer of the VHS tape using the DVD recorder. As noted, the only way to get the transfer out of the DVD recorder is to burn it off onto DVD-R. If you choose, you can edit it on the DVDR before burning to make a finished DVD -- or just burn the "raw" footage to a DVD-RW and edit it on the PC before authoring a compilation to a DVD-R or BD-R. The format of the burned DVD-R/RW is DVD Video. You just put that disk in your PC and there are any number of programs available that will let you extract the individual titles from the disk and save them into any of the standard video containers -- .mpg, .m2ts, MKV, etc. As long as you leave the video format as MPEG-2, there is no re-encoding which means there is no loss in video quality since all you are doing is changing container format -- it's a very fast process that could take a minute or less per SD title -- it takes me ~2 min to save a 5GB HDTV recording as an .m2ts or .mpg file. All these standard containers can be played by almost any PC program like WMP or VLC. You could make compilations of any combination and author them to DVD at any time you needed -- it's all just a matter of some simple software.

I primarily want backup sources before the VHS tapes eventually deteriorate. As long as I can rip them from the DVD to a computer in any playable format, I am fine with that.

I'm mostly looking for the ability to:

- backup from VHS to DVD,

- backup from any format (probably DVD) to the computer in any file type

- eventually upload to Youtube

I started by using this:

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-VC500-Touch-Capture-Device/dp/B000VM60I8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1385149841&sr=8-6&keywords=vhs+to+dvd

I transferred to the computer and burned to DVD from there. It works in small time segments, but over the course of a multiple hour tape, the vocals get way out of sync.

I didn't have input signal problems with that cheap Diamond device, so I'm willing to take my chances with the Magnavox.

Keep the comments coming, pro and con. It still sounds like the Magnavox should work for me. I don't plan to be too hasty with my decision, so I'm all ears in the meantime. 

Thanks to everyone for their input!!

post #24656 of 28014 Old 11-22-2013, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:

I used a Hauppauge 2250 which records in MPEG-2/AC3 in .ts container. But you're right, if you want your end result to be DVD video (VIDEO_TS) these machines work great.

scott s.

Sony XBR-65A1E
post #24657 of 28014 Old 11-22-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:

I would agree with this statement and for what DVDR to use I'd agree with using the Magnavox w/hdd if you plan on using SP for your speed(2hrs/dvd) if you want to push more than that(up to about 2 1/2-3hrs/SL dvd or more with a DL blank) I might suggest the Panasonic EH-59 that has been mentioned, for dodgy tapes I would NOT suggest using a PC for the initial capture, DVDRs handle this much better.

post #24658 of 28014 Old 11-22-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Just had an odd experience involving my 515, non-refurb.

The other day I was recording (directly to DVD...pretty full hard drive) an hour's worth of the Doctor Who specials being run this week on BBCA, and had set the recording to start a minute early and stop five minutes past the actual end (you guys understand...just to play it safe). The recording was set at the HQ "speed". I'd done it several times already and the discs easily took the 66 min. recording at HQ.

This time, I wanted to end the recording before the five minute overflow was complete, and made the mistake of hitting "delete timer recording". NOTHING transferred to the DVD. It came out totally blank, and I thought the whole hour was lost. (Worse, this was the second time BBCA was showing the special, so it wasn't going to air again.)

A few days before, however, I'd cleared a little space on the hard drive.

Just tonight I went to clear off some more, and discovered that VERY strangely the hour and six minute recording (or actually 1:04, since I'd stopped it early) had been saved TO THE HARD DRIVE.

Even stranger, while the timer recording had been set to do an HQ recording to DVD, this hard drive recording was at SLP.

The machine had actually re-encoded the recording so's to fit it on what space was left on the hard drive.

Have ANY of you EVER had your machine do something like this?

I mean, in a way I'm tickled pink. Even with the SLP quality setting, the recording is complete. What was lost was sort of saved after all.

Still, it's REALLY strange that the machine did this, not just saving to the hard drive instead of the disc, but doing it at a different quality setting.

Again, have any of you seen such a thing happen?

Thanks.
post #24659 of 28014 Old 11-22-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

In my experience, once these are digitized to DVD, any attempt to extract them as standalone files results in a further degradation of quality- even a so called "lossless MPEG" extraction.
I'm sorry but that is simply not the case. There is no degradation. The .VOB files of a DVD Video are simply containers that hold the MPEG-2 video stream and the audio streams. When you extract a title from a multi-title .VOB you simply pull the streams out of the .VOB container and mux them into a new container format. The streams are bit-image replicas of the originals. There is no change to the actual video data -- as long as you are not recoding to either change the codec or shrink the size of the stream.

It's the same as if someone hands you a bag containing two sandwiches, closed with a twist-tie. You open the twist tie, remove one of the sandwiches and put it in a ziplock bag. You have not changed the sandwich in any way, it will still taste the same. You only put it in a new bag.

- kelson h

post #24660 of 28014 Old 11-22-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:

I primarily want backup sources before the VHS tapes eventually deteriorate. As long as I can rip them from the DVD to a computer in any playable format, I am fine with that.
That is the case. There is no great mystery here. You can play a DVD on a PC, right. In the simplest case you use a program like ImgBurn to rip the full DVD to an .iso file (disk image). Just about every PC player will play a DVD.iso image file as if it were the disk in the DVD drive.

Everything is digitally convertible to everything -- as long as you don't recode, there is no loss and the copies are bit-image replicas of the A/V streams.

- kelson h

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page