Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 850 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1026Likes

post #25471 of 28012 Old 04-28-2014, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got this from the Asst. Dir. of Technology at the local ABC station: "We've had a few other complaints about this and we are looking in to the root cause of the issue. Hopefully it will be resolved shortly."
Hope they find the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25472 of 28012 Old 04-28-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 65
FWIW, I just recorded 2 minutes on L2 on a 2160V receiving The View directly from a 99W ABC satellite feed affiliates use to get national programming: No evidence of any anti-copy flag in the title menu, and it plays normally.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #25473 of 28012 Old 04-28-2014, 11:05 AM

Yep. It wasn't the network. Turned out to be a local station problem. They've fixed it.
Here's their reply: "We underwent some changes in the air chain and found that the manufacturer’s default was with the copyright bit on. It is now been turned off, so you should be good to go. If you continue to see this problem, please let me know."
And a thank you to Wajo for his direction on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25474 of 28012 Old 04-28-2014, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 207

Another success story. Congrats! :)

post #25475 of 28012 Old 04-28-2014, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Independent questions. I was using my Philips 3505 last week and it just went dead as if the power had been pulled. Tried unplugging it and waiting several hours but no sign of life when I plugged it back in. Any thoughts of an easy fix? Worse case I'll save for parts as I have a 515, 513 and two 2160's. Any easy way to access shows stranded on that unit's hard drive? Also, in researching what to do next, I was reviewing posts on the new Philips and the Channel Master, it seems like the CM unit is the way to go. Am I missing anything? Thanks.
post #25476 of 28012 Old 04-28-2014, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnace View Post

Independent questions. I was using my Philips 3505 last week and it just went dead as if the power had been pulled. Tried unplugging it and waiting several hours but no sign of life when I plugged it back in. Any thoughts of an easy fix? Worse case I'll save for parts as I have a 515, 513 and two 2160's. Any easy way to access shows stranded on that unit's hard drive? Also, in researching what to do next, I was reviewing posts on the new Philips and the Channel Master, it seems like the CM unit is the way to go. Am I missing anything? Thanks.

You can try the Soft Reset that works for "dead" Mag and Philips HDD DVDRs built after the 3505.

Not sure how long you have to leave a 3505 unplugged to drain residual power, but it's somewhat longer than the machine's power backup time.

post #25477 of 28012 Old 04-28-2014, 04:07 PM

Liked: 11
My original post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8r View Post

Does anyone else here occasionally copy DVD's to the HD using a video stabilizer like the GO or the Dimax connected by S video?

Lately my Mag 537 acts up with short flashes of increased brightness. It seems to be related to the video source content, some scenes do it more than others and always in the same spots.

Tried new S cables, tried switching the GO with the Dimax and I still get the same flashes on the same scenes.
Then I tried connecting the same hookup with the same DVD to my old Toshiba XS35 it works fine, no flashes.
Could it be the S video input on the Mag is going bad?

Thanks for all the suggestions. (Since the Mag does not have component inputs, that suggested trick of just running the green thru the stabilizer wouldn't be of much help. Interesting idea tho.)

I spent most of Sunday afternoon experimenting. I tried using component video on both sides of the stabilizer, same flashing in the same spots. Replaced all cables. Tried both stabilizers with different cables. Same results.

So finally I tried a simple S video connection between the DVD player and the Mag 537. No flashes. So I guess this means the Mag does not like the signal that comes out of these stabilizers. Of course I can't actually copy a DVD without the stabilizer in line.

Should note that my old Toshiba recorder gets along fine with copying via S video thru the stabilizer so I can't say it's defective.

Is anyone else using a stabilizer for copying DVD's succesfully with a current 5xx series Mag?

It's not a major crisis. I've become less and less interested in copying DVD's anyway. It's only for personal use and between Netflix and my local library, I care a lot less about owning copies of particular titles.

Still very disappointing. Welcome other suggestions.
post #25478 of 28012 Old 04-28-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

Should note that my old Toshiba recorder gets along fine with copying via S video thru the stabilizer so I can't say it's defective.

Is anyone else using a stabilizer for copying DVD's succesfully with a current 5xx series Mag?

It's not a major crisis. I've become less and less interested in copying DVD's anyway. It's only for personal use and between Netflix and my local library, I care a lot less about owning copies of particular titles.

Still very disappointing. Welcome other suggestions.
What exactly is your "old Toshiba recorder"? Toshiba once upon a time sold Betas IIRC. Betamaxes were often functionally equivalent to a video stabilizer. If that's what you have, I'd try subsituting the Toshiba for the stabilizer. Even if your Toshiba isn't, find an old Betamax to try.

I've never found a reason to copy a DVD to any of my Mags. When I want to copy a DVD I use a puter, which seemed to work about 70% of the time with commercial DVDs from my public library before I quit trying.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #25479 of 28012 Old 04-28-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post

What exactly is your "old Toshiba recorder"? .

Sorry, I should have stated it's another HDD/DVD recorder RD XS35
post #25480 of 28012 Old 04-28-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2329 Post(s)
Liked: 2642
Quote:

I use one of these for recording streaming services on my 515 through a Roku2 XS. It doesn't record them without it so it would probably work on DVDs as well.

You could try using DVD Shrink to make an image of your DVD and then burn the image to a RW disc. You should be able to dub the RW to the Mag HDD without using any filter.
post #25481 of 28012 Old 04-29-2014, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
You could try using DVD Shrink to make an image of your DVD and then burn the image to a RW disc. You should be able to dub the RW to the Mag HDD without using any filter.

Good idea and I do that occasionally, only issue is DL DVDs that won't easily fit on a SL RW disc without excessive compression. For those you'd have to either use a filter or a much more expensive DL blank in your computer. Also several of the newer DVDs(especially Disney) won't copy with Shrink and would require a newer paid program.

post #25482 of 28012 Old 04-29-2014, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Magnavox 9th-Gen and Last Std Def HDD/DVD Recorder, MDR557H/F7, Single Analog/Digital Tuner

When logged in, all links herein will work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default... should not affect Guests and others who don't log in. Since editing old Huddler HTML pages with this site's new VB SW breaks formatting, internal links and tables, the operating differences between this new 557 model and previous models will not be detailed to the extent I would like.

There are some IMPORTANT differences between this new 557 and previous models:

1. Video/VR-Modes (+VR gone) - Records in standard Video and VR modes like Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony, etc., not +VR Std like other 8 generations. NOTE: This means it will not recognize UNFINALIZED DVDs from previous generations... it will recognize all FINALIZED DVDs.
  2. Multiple Playlists - Create multiple playlists (virtual copies of original titles) on HDD or VR-mode DVD-RW discs using new "Add To Playlist" option in Title Menu (see menu pic below). Make edits on virtual copies if you want to keep originals intact. Assemble playlists for playback or dubbing. Switch Title Menu between originals and playlists with Title > Disc Menu button. Deleting an original title deletes all playlists in which it appears.
  3. Editing menu - adds Combine Titles option for HDD and VR-mode DVD-RW. Places combined titles in virtual Playlists, keeping originals intact. If any of the original titles are deleted, their virtual, combined Playlist titles are also deleted.
  4. HDD menu - adds a "Delete All Playlists" option.
  5. Disc Edit menu - adds new option for VR-mode discs: "Format" and "Delete All Playlists " options.
  6. DVD-RW disc initialization - adds option for Video or VR Modes... Video mode for "DVD Player Compatibility mode" or VR mode for "Editing possibility mode."
  7. Recording menu - new option added for Aspect Ratio (Video mode): Auto, 4:3 or 16:9. "TV Aspect" setting still in Video menu so new combo might now allow a 4:3 TV to letterbox 16:9 shows with the TV's aspect setting?
  8. New rec modes - 1, 2, 4, 6, 8 hours.
  9. +R/+RW DVDs - contrary to manual, THE 557 DOES RECORD TO AND PLAY BACK DVD+R AND DVD+RW, even though they're not listed as either Playable or Unplayable in the manual. See one user report here.
  10. Gone - EMPTY SPACE or EMPTY TITLE ON DVDs! DVD Title List now looks exactly like HDD Title List... 6 index pics per page, representing 6 real titles. Manual doesn't even mention "Empty" anything like 53x manual does (in many places)
  11. Gone - Index pic edit options.
  12. Gone - Scene Delete on Video-mode DVDs (still OK on HDD and VR-mode DVDs).
  13. Gone - Make Recordings Compatible and Make Edits Compatible.
  14. Gone - DVD-RW Erase option (replaced by Format option).
  15. Gone - DVD-RW Unfinalize option.
  16. Gone - Some erroneous entries.

New "Add To Playlist" Option in Title Menu. Create Playlist Copy of ANY Original Title.
In Title menu, switch between display of Original or Playlist titles with the DISC MENU button.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SaveToPlaylistMenu.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	499210

Last edited by 7558037; 10-11-2016 at 09:05 AM.
post #25483 of 28012 Old 04-29-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

1. New option added to Recording menu for Aspect Ratio (Video mode): Auto, 4:3 or 16:9. (TV Aspect setting still in Video menu but must now be limited to playback?)

My guess is that option sets the WS bit for recording DVDs, the setting in the video menu must be for stretching 4:3 material to 16:9? The WS bit is mostly useful for people with 4:3 TVs and record 16:9 material.

post #25484 of 28012 Old 04-29-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Good idea and I do that occasionally, only issue is DL DVDs that won't easily fit on a SL RW disc without excessive compression. For those you'd have to either use a filter or a much more expensive DL blank in your computer.

In that case you can use the " reauthor" option of Shrink and split the title between two single-layer DVDs.
post #25485 of 28012 Old 04-29-2014, 12:55 PM

The one unique feature on the 537 which I could not do previously on my Toshiba XS35 DVD recorder is create anamorphic wide screen recordings from broadcast via the tuner. I wonder if they are just now calling that a "feature" on the 557. It's hard to decipher exact meaning from the manual. I sure hope they haven't messed it up!
post #25486 of 28012 Old 04-29-2014, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The one unique feature on the 537 which I could not do previously on my Toshiba XS35 DVD recorder is create anamorphic wide screen recordings from broadcast via the tuner. I wonder if they are just now calling that a "feature" on the 557. It's hard to decipher exact meaning from the manual. I sure hope they haven't messed it up!

If anything, the addition of Aspect settings (including AUTO) in the Recording menu (in addition to the old TV Aspect setting) has potential for making things better for recording analog and digital channels with 4:3 and 16:9 shows.

I'm anxious to see if the AUTO Aspect setting works properly for recording 4:3 and 16:9 shows based on their content, and how that works with the manual Video > TV Aspect settings... hopefully as jjeff suggested re: setting the WS bit so the 557 can shape a WS program for a 4:3 TV display?

post #25487 of 28012 Old 04-29-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2329 Post(s)
Liked: 2642
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Member kennymccormick found a new, 1TB follow-on model to the 53x Series: MDR557H/F7 as shown here.
Time to update the thread title. smile.gif
post #25488 of 28012 Old 04-29-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:

hopefully as jjeff suggested re: setting the WS bit so our 16:9 TVs can shape a WS program for a 4:3 Tv display?

Well the only way to do that would be to either stretch 4:3 out to 16:9 or lop off the top and bottom to make it fit the widescreen shape. Fine if they want to add that feature as long as I can bypass it. Basically we're looking at the opposite problem of the old "pan and scan" process used to make widescreen movies fill out the shape of a 4:3 TV. I didn't like altering widescreen via "Pan and Scan" and I wouldn't want 4:3 content altered now to fit widescreen either. I say leave the content as is. My 16x9 TV has zoom and stretch options to take care of 4:3 if I want to apply them. Let it be my decision!
post #25489 of 28012 Old 04-29-2014, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

Tme to update the thread title. smile.gif

I've asked for that already.

post #25490 of 28012 Old 04-29-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post)

hopefully as jjeff suggested re: setting the WS bit so our 16:9 TVs can shape a WS program for a 4:3 Tv display?

Well the only way to do that would be to either stretch 4:3 out to 16:9 or lop off the top and bottom to make it fit the widescreen shape. Fine if they want to add that feature as long as I can bypass it. Basically we're looking at the opposite problem of the old "pan and scan" process used to make widescreen movies fill out the shape of a 4:3 TV. I didn't like altering widescreen via "Pan and Scan" and I wouldn't want 4:3 content altered now to fit widescreen either. I say leave the content as is. My 16x9 TV has zoom and stretch options to take care of 4:3 if I want to apply them. Let it be my decision!

All a properly placed WS bit does is tell your DVD player to letterbox a anamorphic image for display on a 4:3 TV(when you have your DVD(or DVDR) player set for a 4:3 display) or stretch a anamorphic(horizontally compressed) stored image to 16:9 when set to output 16:9. The bit if applied correctly doesn't stretch true 4:3 to 16:9 or crop a 16:9 image to 4:3(unless you have your DVD player set to do so). DVD players may also have a option to stretch 4:3 to 16:9 making people and things look wide, I think this is what you are against?

Personally I set my DVD players to stretch 4:3 to 16:9 because my recorded DVDs lack the WS bit(even though they are anamorphic) and using this setting I get a true 16:9 picture. When playing true 4:3 material I turn off my DVD players option to stretch and then I get true 4:3. You can also use your HDTVs option to stretch 4:3 to 16:9 but I've tried it again and again and I feel I get noticeably better picture quality having my DVD player do the stretching as apposed to my TV.

post #25491 of 28012 Old 04-29-2014, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

All a properly placed WS bit does is tell your DVD player to letterbox a anamorphic image for display on a 4:3 TV(when you have your DVD(or DVDR) player set for a 4:3 display) or stretch a anamorphic(horizontally compressed) stored image to 16:9 when set to output 16:9....

In the Mag's case, the thing that has been missing is the ability to use a 4:3 TV's Aspect control to letterbox a 16:9 recording so it displays correctly on that 4:3 TV... the TV's aspect control does not add letterbox bars to a 16:9 program so the display aspect is correct, not squished.

Hopefully, they corrected that?

post #25492 of 28012 Old 04-30-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:

In the Mag's case, the thing that has been missing is the ability to use a 4:3 TV's Aspect control to letterbox a 16:9 recording so it displays correctly on that 4:3 TV... the TV's aspect control does not add letterbox bars to a 16:9 program so the display aspect is correct, not squished.

Hopefully, they corrected that?
a
As I understand your description, it sounds like an issue of compatibility with older 4:3 TV's. Would be unusual for a company to add a backwards compatibility feature to a new model if it wasn't there previously. But then in many ways the whole Mag 5XX series is addressing older technology to begjn with. Up until about a month ago I was using a 10 year old Sony 27" 4:3 with the Mag 537 and had no problems with letterboxing. But that set had an enhance mode to use with anamorphic widescreen DVD's so maybe that's why the letterboxing problem never came up.

I was just about to grab a 535 mag as a second recorder when this new model was announced. So now I'm gonna wait for this one. I just hope they haven't removed any of the features I ike that are in the previous models, especially the ability to make true anamorphic widescreen recordings from OTA broadcast.
post #25493 of 28012 Old 04-30-2014, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

:D

Another "Who Knew" Item!

With the addition of the 557, I PM'd a Mod to change the "official" thread title in the list of threads, as I've done MANY times in the past.

I remember many people before who asked about changing the title of their threads and we always told them they had to get a Mod to do it. I guess they got tired of that. :)

Little did I know that, since June 2012, AVS had added an "Edit Thread" link at the top of the page, above Post #1, where the thread starter can change the "official" thread title that appears in the list of threads.

I thought this might be interesting to other thread starters.

:D

ClearToLand, jjeff and Ken.F like this.
post #25494 of 28012 Old 05-02-2014, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20

First off I just want to say thanks for the incredible wealth of information here. As for this new Magnavox 557 I'm glad Funai is continuing to produce these machines. I took a look at the new manual and noticed a few things though.

The new Aspect Ratio setting is something I've had on my Toshiba DR430. It sets the WS bit so that the widescreen recorded disc will play properly on 4:3 TV sets and 16:9 sets without manually setting the TV to Wide to stretch it to the proper ratio. It's a nice feature to have but it only works on DVD-R/-RW media and not DVD+R/+RW. Leaving the setting on Auto will automatically set the bit if the player is fed a widescreen signal and won't if it's fed a 4:3 signal.

I found a couple of things that might be troubling if I'm reading the manual correctly though. On page 42 it lists the available recording options as 1, 2, 4, 6, and 8 hr instead of the previously available 1, 2, 2.5, 3, 4, and 6 hr options. Also on page 41 it lists DVD-R/-RW as the only recordable discs compatible with the unit. There's no mention of DVD+R/+RW discs making me think they dropped support for it. Just to double check I looked at the manual for the previous 53x model and it lists both + and - media as compatible.

TreeVideo likes this.
post #25495 of 28012 Old 05-03-2014, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshaver76 View Post

First off I just want to say thanks for the incredible wealth of information here. As for this new Magnavox 557 I'm glad Funai is continuing to produce these machines. I took a look at the new manual and noticed a few things though.

The new Aspect Ratio setting is something I've had on my Toshiba DR430. It sets the WS bit so that the widescreen recorded disc will play properly on 4:3 TV sets and 16:9 sets without manually setting the TV to Wide to stretch it to the proper ratio. It's a nice feature to have but it only works on DVD-R/-RW media and not DVD+R/+RW. Leaving the setting on Auto will automatically set the bit if the player is fed a widescreen signal and won't if it's fed a 4:3 signal.

I found a couple of things that might be troubling if I'm reading the manual correctly though. On page 42 it lists the available recording options as 1, 2, 4, 6, and 8 hr instead of the previously available 1, 2, 2.5, 3, 4, and 6 hr options. Also on page 41 it lists DVD-R/-RW as the only recordable discs compatible with the unit. There's no mention of DVD+R/+RW discs making me think they dropped support for it. Just to double check I looked at the manual for the previous 53x model and it lists both + and - media as compatible.

PhilMag manuals have had many errors, omissions and misleads over the past 8 generations of these DVDRs, so I hope these "odd" changes are the same in the 9th-gen model.

It's suspicious that DVD+R/RW, which Philips helped invent, is not mentioned anywhere in the manual, even in the Playable and Unplayable Discs sections.

I also don't know why they'd take a step backwards to their old rec modes (DVR640 et al)... don't they know it screws up a bunch of my tables. :D

Here's hoping the same manual writer who did the other 8 gens did this one too!

post #25496 of 28012 Old 05-03-2014, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 28
What I'd be interested in finding out is if they've finally fixed the problem where you can't do a VHS dub to HDD and burn to DVD without the dub date stamp appearing in the DVD menu. I've been holding out waiting for that fix, which would be a dealmaker.

https://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnavox-557-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575/20130#post_21925033
post #25497 of 28012 Old 05-03-2014, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl View Post

What I'd be interested in finding out is if they've finally fixed the problem where you can't do a VHS dub to HDD and burn to DVD without the dub date stamp appearing in the DVD menu. I've been holding out waiting for that fix, which would be a dealmaker.

https://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnavox-557-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575/20130#post_21925033

Your link went to an erroneous response.

Info here on how to get a DVD from VHS w/o a date.

You just can't use HSD (except with 3575/3576.)

post #25498 of 28012 Old 05-03-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:

PhilMag manuals have had many errors, omissions and misleads

I was reading through the new section on combining titles in the manual for this new 557 model. I noticed on the previous page about dividing titles it says once a title has been split, it can't be joined back together. That's sort of a contradiction if you can now combine titles. It's probably something left in from the old manual that they forgot to update. Of course it's not likely it would ever matter anyway.
post #25499 of 28012 Old 05-03-2014, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:

PhilMag manuals have had many errors, omissions and misleads

I was reading through the new section on combining titles in the manual for this new 557 model. I noticed on the previous page about dividing titles it says once a title has been split, it can't be joined back together. That's sort of a contradiction if you can now combine titles. It's probably something left in from the old manual that they forgot to update. Of course it's not likely it would ever matter anyway.

Thanks for finding yet another error... it actually gives me hope on the other things! :) 

post #25500 of 28012 Old 05-03-2014, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl View Post

Your link went to an erroneous response.

Info here on how to get a DVD from VHS w/o a date.

You just can't use HSD (except with 3575/3576.)

Please explain how it is erroneous. I said, "you can't do a VHS dub to HDD and burn to DVD without the dub date stamp appearing in the DVD menu." The method you describe only works for direct-to-DVD (DTD) (no HDD), which kind of defeats the purpose of having an HDD DVD recorder.

Any word on whether this will be fixed in the new iteration?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page