Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 881 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1026Likes

post #26401 of 28014 Old 04-20-2015, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkaikow View Post
...The person I spoke with read me something that indicated that copyright issues would not allow recording of the On Demand channels on any equipment. This is not completely true inasmuch as I am and have been able to do it on other machines...
They weren't talking about the ability to record on a machine. They were saying whether or not you're SUPPOSED TO (in other words, if it's copy-protected or not).

The fact your other machines were somehow able to do it is besides the point. They were talking about copy protection, and saying that's why your new(er) machine can't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26402 of 28014 Old 04-20-2015, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
Looks like the Funai version is actually being sold by a third party.

That might explain it still being for a much higher price. Nice to see the machine back in the same price ballpark the earlier models were in.

EDIT:
Amazon's price is down to $250 as well.
I checked Amazon at the time of my original post and they were still $49 higher; not unexpectedly, they've since "price matched." Prices being equal, I always opt for Walmart, because they offer 5% cash back with a Discover card.

With respect to "Funai" branded, that's the seller's terminology, and I couldn't really think of any other way to describe it. But you're right, the accompanying graphic shows the Magnavox unit, and that same vendor (Beach Audio) is selling it under *that* name on Amazon as well, and at the same (much higher) price.
post #26403 of 28014 Old 04-21-2015, 05:01 PM

Why the big drop in the price of the 557 model?

Total rookie here, so it's not obvious to me. Wondered if it was an indication that newer models may be coming...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26404 of 28014 Old 04-21-2015, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBH1965 View Post
Why the big drop in the price of the 557 model?

Total rookie here, so it's not obvious to me. Wondered if it was an indication that newer models may be coming...
Mar/Apr/May time period has been one of FunaiPhilips favorite new-model release times so it is *possible* that something new is coming. The 557 was released in May 2014.
post #26405 of 28014 Old 04-21-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
Mar/Apr/May time period has been one of FunaiPhilips favorite new-model release times so it is *possible* that something new is coming. The 557 was released in May 2014.
Many thanks! I still hold out hope that one of these days they will produce a new model that will allow for a high-speed (lossless) DVD>HDD dub.
post #26406 of 28014 Old 04-22-2015, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBH1965 View Post
Many thanks! I still hold out hope that one of these days they will produce a new model that will allow for a high-speed (lossless) DVD>HDD dub.
Or maybe, there's a new model that in addition to still being able to burn DVDs that are coded for 16x9 playback (like the 557), they've restored the 2.5 and 3 hour recording options?
post #26407 of 28014 Old 04-23-2015, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Wajo: A few answers to a few questions please. Will the 557 unit work without problems with a 1 TB HDD that was recorded on a MDR537H/F7 unit? I am the guy that has a 537 unit with a blown power supply module for which no replacement can be found. I followed the suggestion you gave on this issue when I last mentioned it. No luck. Funi tech support could only give me the address & Phone # for a different authorized repair center, a hundred miles away from me, than the one I already went to that is very close to where I live. That was useless. There are some power supply repair kits on eBay, but I couldn't find one specific for the Magnavox MDR537H/F7 unit. The only other option that comes to mind is to get out my voltmeter and soldering iron and try to figure out which component on the power supply module to replace. I would much rather snap-in a new good module. I can see by the markings on the PS module that it was probably manufactured for Funi by Robinson Nugent. If so Funi could order manufacture of a small batch to sell to repair these units. Mine can't be the only one that failed. There has got to be lots more broken MDR537H/F7 units out there. It is my belief that the Funi cut corners on the PS to save manufacturing $cost. They didn't order it originally from Robinson Nugent with sufficient surge current capacity to keep the PS from failing on even modest overload. Am I full of crap on that? Have you knowledge of lots of other folks in the same position as I am in on blown PS modules?

Another option just occurred to me. I also have a working Magnavox H2160MW9 unit. Do you know anything about whether or not the PS module in this unit will work in a Magnavox MDR537H/F7 unit?

Wajo, Thanks for your help. It seems like you must be putting in a lot of time on this for as much free help you have provided.
post #26408 of 28014 Old 04-23-2015, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedPalmer View Post
Wajo: A few answers to a few questions please. Will the 557 unit work without problems with a 1 TB HDD that was recorded on a MDR537H/F7 unit?
I don't think anyone has tried that yet. One user said he thought the 53x series HDDs couldn't be swapped with older units because they (and the follow-on 557?) use a diff. allocation unit (cluster) size, which might require a format to use in older units. If so, and both the 53x and 557 series use the same cluster size, I'm not sure you could do a 53x/557 marriage since the 557 introduced a different recording method (video-mode vs. +VR)... might not "recognize" the HDD content???

Quote:
I am the guy that has a 537 unit with a blown power supply module for which no replacement can be found. I followed the suggestion you gave on this issue when I last mentioned it. No luck. Funi tech support could only give me the address & Phone # for a different authorized repair center, a hundred miles away from me, than the one I already went to that is very close to where I live. That was useless. There are some power supply repair kits on eBay, but I couldn't find one specific for the Magnavox MDR537H/F7 unit. The only other option that comes to mind is to get out my voltmeter and soldering iron and try to figure out which component on the power supply module to replace. I would much rather snap-in a new good module. I can see by the markings on the PS module that it was probably manufactured for Funi by Robinson Nugent. If so Funi could order manufacture of a small batch to sell to repair these units. Mine can't be the only one that failed. There has got to be lots more broken MDR537H/F7 units out there. It is my belief that the Funi cut corners on the PS to save manufacturing $cost. They didn't order it originally from Robinson Nugent with sufficient surge current capacity to keep the PS from failing on even modest overload. Am I full of crap on that? Have you knowledge of lots of other folks in the same position as I am in on blown PS modules?
I can't remember if you tried a Soft Reset for a suspected power supply problem (unit plays dead)? Always good to try before declaring a unit truly "dead." Lots of units needed that reset after power outages and lightning.

Quote:
Another option just occurred to me. I also have a working Magnavox H2160MW9 unit. Do you know anything about whether or not the PS module in this unit will work in a Magnavox MDR537H/F7 unit?
I would *guess* that wouldn't work since Funai used a diff. PS design starting with the 53x series (which caused problems and a change from 3-1/2" to 2-1/2" HDDs), which might have been carried over to the 557 (another guess).

Sorry, not much help here.
post #26409 of 28014 Old 04-23-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
I can't remember if you tried a Soft Reset for a suspected power supply problem (unit plays dead)? Always good to try before declaring a unit truly "dead." Lots of units needed that reset after power outages and lightning.

Sorry, not much help here.
Wajo,

I tried the soft reset. It didn't help.
No need for you to be sorry. You have been a tremendous help to me. Thank you for all you do.
post #26410 of 28014 Old 04-23-2015, 11:44 PM

A general comment and questions to the thread.

I am now using Microsoft Windows Media Center for most of my recording of OTA TV content. I have a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR circuit board that I added to one of my PCs that I use to do this. I added a 4 TB HDD to the PC on which I do this. I have been doing this for about 8 months now. The HDD is only about 1/3 full. I feel like I record and keep quit a bit of the content I capture. I like being able to control the playback process using my computer mouse. I am generally satisfied with this setup, but like most folks, I always want a lot more. When I started using this setup, I was hopeful that I would be able to title the content that I recorded using my computer keyboard. But I can not. Which is just one of many disappointments that I have about Windows Media Center. I'll list all of my disappointments later.

I was inspired to make this change because I was really tired of titling my content using the remote control on my MDR537H/F7 unit. Using a numeric keypad with those cheap rubber buttons to enter text is a real pain in my ass. It consumes voracious amounts of my time. I hate that part about my MDR537H/F7 unit. I wore out the remote on my H2160MW9 unit, and had to acquire a replacement. I also acquired a new Philips model HDR5710/F7 for $100 from Nebraska Furniture Mart. At that price I would buy it to just sit and look at it. It has a USB connector on it that I thought I might be able to add a USB hub so that I could add a PC keyboard and mouse. But the HDR5710/F7 doesn't support that on the USB interface. It will allow me to add external computer HDDs. The owners manual says that it will allow me to "register" up to 8 HDDs. It has an internal HDD of 500 GB. I haven't added a HDD to it yet, but I wouldn't be bothered with anything less than 4TB HDDs. Times 8 that would be 32 TB of content. That is a lot. But I have come to realize, though I don't recall how I became aware of it, that the HDR5710/F7 unit consumes a lot more space to record content than does the MDR537H/F7 unit. That is probably because it will record high definition (HD) by default. HDR5710/F7 unit does not have simple basic editing capabilities as does the MDR537H/F7 unit. Magnavox really spoiled me with that. I came to think that was normal for all DVRs, but it is not. HDTV is so damn good that I can see every pore and skin flaw on peoples faces. I don't really need that kind of quality in my video, though it is nice to have. That will probably be normal for all TV in the not too distant future.

I believe that the file format for the HDR5710/F7 unit is some kind of Linux file format. The owner's manual cautions the user that the HDR5710/F7 unit will reformat whatever HDD is connected to it. So be careful about what you connect to it because anything else you may have on the HDD will be gone after the HDD is reformated.

All,

I had a list of 22 items for the ideal DVR that it took me about 2 hours to compose. This website logged me off without warning. Now my content that cost me so much my time is gone and can not be recovered. If you are composing a long message, be sure to save it to a text editor before clicking on submit. It could cost you dearly like it cost me.
post #26411 of 28014 Old 04-24-2015, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

For titling recorded shows, there's an option to PRE-TITLE them via the timer programming menu, as described here.
post #26412 of 28014 Old 04-24-2015, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
If you change the TV Aspect setting from one to another, you should normally see a change in the pic aspect immediately (if one is possible based on the source).

Unless someone can think of a "super-simple" thing to try, your 535 might need a reset? Try the Soft Reset first, then a Hard Reset if no joy? Note the things you might lose and prepare accordingly, as advised there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Someone may have changed the zoom level on the TV. Most TVs remember the zoom setting for each input individually. While watching something playing on the Magnavox, grab the Samsung remote and change the picture zoom level. Some Samsung TV remotes have a dedicated button for this labeled "P.Size".
And that is is exactly what it was! A 23 second fix. I apologize for not thanking you both before now. After I got this fixed I had some surgery and this is the first I have been online since. Thanks again.

Chubby, old guy in Omaha, Nebraska
post #26413 of 28014 Old 04-29-2015, 09:48 AM

So problem du jour is I just burned a DVD. It has the two titles I wanted and the extra empty one that always shows up. I want to finalize the DVD now but when I go "Menu"--> "Disc Edit"--> "Finalize", the "Finalize is greyed out and I can't click on it.

I have run up against this before and could always putz around the menus (or do something else) until I could finally get it to finalize. Not this time. And I can't remember what I did before.

I know it did not autofinalize because 1) It won't play in my computer DVD player, and 2) I was able to go in and change the DVD's name. When I change the DVD's name I get the message to "Finalize to make it compatible with other DVD players".

Once again, I am sure that it is something simple.

post #26414 of 28014 Old 04-29-2015, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2348 Post(s)
Liked: 2706
Quote:
Originally Posted by matonanjin View Post
So problem du jour is I just burned a DVD. It has the two titles I wanted and the extra empty one that always shows up. I want to finalize the DVD now but when I go "Menu"--> "Disc Edit"--> "Finalize", the "Finalize is greyed out and I can't click on it.
Do you have a timer recording about to start? A timer recording that will begin within one hour will disable the DVD finalize option in the menu.
post #26415 of 28014 Old 04-29-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Do you have a timer recording about to start? A timer recording that will begin within one hour will disable the DVD finalize option in the menu.
That must have been it. I don't know how close I was to a recording about to start before. But just now I tried it with nothing close to record and it will finalize. Ken, thank you once again.
Ken.F likes this.

post #26416 of 28014 Old 05-01-2015, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Auto record question

I just got the 557h/f7. The auto record really concerns me. Unless you are playing a title, recording a title, or doing something with menu's etc, it is RECORDING the channel to HDD. It seems to me that if I don't want to record that, it is wasting the life of the unit. All parts that have to do with recording are being used up. Called csd, no way to disable it or even turn it off. Is it not shortening the life of the unit by doing this?
post #26417 of 28014 Old 05-01-2015, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANIELTNIEVES View Post
I just got the 557h/f7. The auto record really concerns me. Unless you are playing a title, recording a title, or doing something with menu's etc, it is RECORDING the channel to HDD. It seems to me that if I don't want to record that, it is wasting the life of the unit. All parts that have to do with recording are being used up. Called csd, no way to disable it or even turn it off. Is it not shortening the life of the unit by doing this?
Probably it will only last for 10 years and not 20 years. Keep us informed. I assume that you really care about the unit and have it on a good UPS?

When I retired my Sony DHG it had about 60K hours on the HDD. My TiVo records four channels all the time also. The DVD recorder, under light use, will probably need more care. I'm sure there are some of the first Philips units going strong. No worries.
post #26418 of 28014 Old 05-02-2015, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Probably it will only last for 10 years and not 20 years. Keep us informed. I assume that you really care about the unit and have it on a good UPS?

When I retired my Sony DHG it had about 60K hours on the HDD. My TiVo records four channels all the time also. The DVD recorder, under light use, will probably need more care. I'm sure there are some of the first Philips units going strong. No worries.
Hi
True enough, My original Philips is still in use all the time by my brother.
Good Luck
TBoneit
post #26419 of 28014 Old 05-02-2015, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you don't want it recording to the six hour buffer, SHUT IT OFF. It'll still turn back on to do your timer recordings, and then turn off again.
post #26420 of 28014 Old 05-07-2015, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Set the channel to "L3" (with no input source); the autostart recording will stop. You can verify this by pressing the "Display" button on the remote.
post #26421 of 28014 Old 05-11-2015, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

All Mag HDD DVDRs prior to the 557 can Finalize each other's DVDs if you turn Recording > Make Recording Compatible ON, as described here.

Some reasons the Disc Edit menu might not be "active" include no unfinalized and fully loaded DVD in the tray, a Finalized and fully loaded DVD-R/+R is in the tray, etc.

If none of those "normal" conditions apply, you might want to try a Soft Reset and, if no joy, a Hard Reset, as described here?
Thanks Wajo

Just an update...I didn't get a chance to try the resets you linked to, but a few days after it failed it began to work normally again, without any intervention from me. Back to normal on its own.

I'll keep the resets in mind should I have any more problems.
But I'm curious...in the future if it does have a hard failure, is anyone repairing these? Or is it a throw-away item?
post #26422 of 28014 Old 05-11-2015, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Hi all,

Lately my original-FW 515 has been consistently miscalculating HDD-to-DVD dubbing size - like maybe ignoring the last title. Not that much of an issue as it gives a "disk full" error if I try to proceed with insufficient space, but I'm curious if others are seeing this behavior?

Thanks...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #26423 of 28014 Old 05-11-2015, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I want apologize if this has been answered before, but I searched and couldn't find the answer.

I have three 2160A's all with external docks thanks to the awesome info I found here.

One of the 2160's is dying and I was thinking about replacing it with a 557.

Question: Can I play a 500MB HDD recorded on a 2160A on the 557?
post #26424 of 28014 Old 05-11-2015, 10:28 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by abfantom View Post
I want apologize if this has been answered before, but I searched and couldn't find the answer.

I have three 2160A's all with external docks thanks to the awesome info I found here.

One of the 2160's is dying and I was thinking about replacing it with a 557.

Question: Can I play a 500MB HDD recorded on a 2160A on the 557?

Unfortunately no. The firmware changes made between each model series make it extremely unlikely that any HDD with video recorded on one model series, would be watchable/swappable on a different model series. I believe that the one exception is a 2160A and a 513 (and maybe the 515). I don't believe that anyone has posted regarding a successful swap between a 513/515 and a 533/535/537 (or 533/535/537 and a 557).

When you say one of your 2160A's is dying, what do you mean? Fan, DVD burner, Tuner, other?

dfw515

post #26425 of 28014 Old 05-12-2015, 03:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks for the info dfw515

The HDD is intermittently not being recognized. Often it will record for 1 - 2 hours and then stop recording. Other times it fails right at power on.

I removed the external dock and also tried other HDD's with the same results.

Thanks,
abfantom
post #26426 of 28014 Old 05-12-2015, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
How to use Mag 533 with time warner's digital adapter?

Time Warner is changing so all need a digital adapter starting in May/June. Will this mean I can't record different channels anymore? Is there a work around? Right now I just have the coax cable going into the back of the Mag 533 from the wall, but any day I could lose my channels.
post #26427 of 28014 Old 05-12-2015, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenT View Post
Time Warner is changing so all need a digital adapter starting in May/June. Will this mean I can't record different channels anymore? Is there a work around? Right now I just have the coax cable going into the back of the Mag 533 from the wall, but any day I could lose my channels.
First, if the item from TWC is free, get one. Now, the 533H does not control anything. If they are going start using SDV, then you have a good chance that some or all channels will not be recordable using the coax. You may get an adapter that has composite output, so the line inputs of the 533H can be used. This will require their device to be pretuned to the channel you want to record. If TWC is encrypting all the channels and using SDV, you can forget the coax. If they are offering you a DTA (possible), that is just a small STB and it may have composite outputs. If it only has HDMI output, you will have a problem beyond my help. Any of these abbreviations can be found with Google. One positive point is that usually not all channels are switched. You won't know until it happens. Is your TV connected also? If so, get the DTA, then see if you need it - you will lose all your channels without it. Does your cable feed have a web site?
post #26428 of 28014 Old 05-12-2015, 11:30 AM

Time Warner says they will transition to an all-digital network requiring all customers to get digital adapters. Yes my TV is connected through the Mag 533 using the coax. Here is the website http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/residential.html area code 27502. I always record while watching a different channel on TV. Will I lose all recording functionality of the Mag with this adapter? Is my only option getting an antenna?
post #26429 of 28014 Old 05-12-2015, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenT View Post
Time Warner says they will transition to an all-digital network requiring all customers to get digital adapters. Yes my TV is connected through the Mag 533 using the coax. Here is the website http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/residential.html area code 27502. I always record while watching a different channel on TV. Will I lose all recording functionality of the Mag with this adapter? Is my only option getting an antenna?
The picture shown is a DTA. No composite, so the DTA outputs a pretty bad signal on ch 3/4 or HDMI that might be HD tiers only. On your TV now do you get analog (whole numbers) and digital (decimal points) or both? The web site does say "digital initiative", not encryption. That is good. It's not a guarantee, but there is hope. The 533 will accept digital (called clear QAM) as well as analog. So will all digital televisions. I hope the 533 connects to your TV by HDMI. I hope your TV has an HDMI input. Let's go from there. I don't mind baby steps if you don't.

What make/model is your TV? If there is an Info button, does it say NTSC or 480i?
post #26430 of 28014 Old 05-12-2015, 01:00 PM

Yes I get analog and digital channels. Yes the the Mag is connected to the TV by HDMI. My TV model is the Samsung LN46B650 46 in 1080p. I also have a couple others that are similar but smaller. TWC announced “Beginning on May 5th, we'll do a series of channel cuts which will run May through the end of June" when they change to all digital service. On May 5th we lost somewhere around 10 channels. I expect that will continue until they're all gone the end of June.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page