Originally Posted by mrmazda
One of my two 513s does not like being off. After it has been, its picture has an interference pattern in it that goes away only after warmup of several minutes. It's annoying when I'm not around to prevent a timer record ending from turning it off. I'd keep it on always but for the timer behavior.
This 513, manufactured May 2011, which I purchased as a refurb, while in use around 3 hours ago, powered itself down dead. I took its cover off and immediately spotted the failure: 3 bulged 10mm X 20mm ENERCON brand type GS 3300uF 6.3V 85° capacitors on the PS board, C2203, C2205 & C2216. All other caps on the PS board are Su'scon brand. I replaced the three with Panasonic type FR 105°, and my 513 is now back in normal operation.
I checked my #2
2160A, manufactured December 2009, which is still working normally. Its PS has mostly Su'scon caps, but C2210 is an 8mmX12mm Enercon GS 470uF 16V 85°, and C2207 is an 8mmX12mm Enercon GS 1000uF 6.3V 85°. The mainboard has mostly Su'scons, but also several 5mmx11mm Enercons that I can see without disassembly. I plan to take a look inside my other 513 and my 515, and replace any Enercons or other dubious brands I find on the PS board.
Sunday I opened up my April 2011 513 and my April 2011 515. Their PS boards have Enercon GS at up to 6 locations each, but not at C2203, C2205 or C2210 as had been bad in my May 2011 513. 8x12 Enercon GS 1000uF 6.3V 85° were on both at C2207 on PS board, and 5 locations on the main board. On the 515 mainboard, the 1000/6.3 at C1419 (closest to the S-VHS output) is swollen. Enercons are used on 19 other locations that I could see without disassembling on the 515. I'm going to buy all I need before trying to replace any on the 515. The other 513 I will leave as is until such time as some failure becomes apparent. My 515 refuses to write DVD+RW discs written by other Mags, and vice versa. I'm hopeful, but skeptical because of the C1419 location, that replacing its Enercons it will be fruitful.
I spent 10 or 11 hours yesterday replacing caps in my 515, 36 in all, 9 on power supply, balance on mainboard. 33 of the 36 were Enercon GS. The three 3300 uf 6.3v Su'scons on the power supply I replaced based upon recommendation on badcaps.net to use only 105° rated caps in power supplies of digital electronics, and the fact that all three in their positions in my #2 513 failed. The two largest on the power supply I kept in place, HEC LS 22x35mm 470uF 200V @C2104, Su'scon SL 12x25mm 2200uF 25V
04. Many 5x11 and most 4x7 caps on the mainboard I kept, roughly half of which are Enercons, the balance Su'scons. All Enercon 5x11s kept were 100uf 6.3V, a type which I failed to inventory before ordering caps, and I had no suitable replacements on hand.
All replacements I used were Panasonic or Nichicon brand, most Panasonic and type FR. Other than one 0.33uF 50V, I replaced none with uF less than 10.
The DVD+RW write behavior in the 515 may have been improved, but more testing will be required to confirm. The first DVD+RW I tried to dub, record or erase, which was last written to by it, and more than 3 years ago, a Sony, caused the 515 to error. I moved that DVD to #2 513 and erased it successfully. Then I put it back into the 515 and was able to dub successfully and play in both 2160A and 513 but not play in Pioneer 460. Then I tried protecting the dub and playing in the Pioneer, but again it refused. Next I unprotected and dubbed again in the 515, and played it back in another Funai.
All post-recap HDD functionality remains as expected. I do not recommend attempting to recap the mainboard as a preventive measure, as it is a very tedious process, and the board has many sensitive pads that are easy to break by removing old caps. The OEM installation process bent the legs over before soldering, which makes it very difficult to remove enough old solder to completely release the leg. Attempting to break the remaining solder broke the pads completely off the board in three cases, two for a single cap, and partially in several others. I had to patch with wire as a workaround, and use dabs of glue to lock the replacements down solidly. Another difficulty is the ATA cable attachments to the daughterboard. They seem to be intended to be one-time use connections, fragile, difficult to get the ribbon out of without breaking the retainer, and difficult to reconnect with a broken retainer. Power supply recapping by comparison is massively easier.