Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 930 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1016Likes

post #27871 of 27972 Old 10-17-2018, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Send a message via Skype™ to mrisso256
Hi Kelson,

Thanks for the reply.

Marty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27872 of 27972 Old 10-21-2018, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
all dvd titles deleted

I had an unfinalized DVD+R containing a dozen short titles in my Magnavox 513. The Disc Edit was greyed out in the setup menu despite the disc being unfinalized. When this has happened in the past I have been able to "wake up" the Disc Edit by doing a short HDD to DVD direct dub of any short title, and the disc would return to a true unfinalized state. This time I had no short titles on my HDD so I briefly pressed the REC (or maybe it was the D.DUB) button on the remote, thinking it would accomplish the same thing. Well, yes the DVD became recordable again but unfortunately ALL of the dozen titles disappeared, replaced by the new 3-second recording. However, since the disc space they had occupied was not freed up, I'm hoping against hope that there is a way to recover them. I tried deleting this new recording -- it did disappear but no space was recovered. Any ideas, or is it hopeless?
Thanks.
post #27873 of 27972 Old 12-16-2018, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I've got an odd situation with reception of several new subchannels in my MDR537 which have so far confounded an explanation -- I posted a query about this in the "local HDTV channels" subforum last month, but have not had any responses to that part of the post:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-lo...l#post57037790

The basic situation is that the unit receives and displays the base X.1 channel just fine; however, for the new X.2 channel only the audio is received (while the video is black/blank), and for the new X.3 channel there is neither video nor audio despite repeated rescans. All 3 of the channels are received and the video and audio are properly rendered on an MDR867 unit as well as the television (Samsung UN32J5500AFXZA) I have which are fed by the same coax lead from the antenna and a signal booster upstream from all of my AV components. I've posted a separate e-mail query to the particular station's technical manager but have never gotten any response, so I honestly don't know whether there is something unique about those particular channels' broadcast parameters the MDR537 isn't capable of processing, or if there is some internal tweak to the DVR's settings which would enable them to render properly.

Has anyone else had such an experience with their units, and if so, were you able to resolve it successfully and how?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27874 of 27972 Old 12-16-2018, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2197 Post(s)
Liked: 2397
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhvance View Post
Has anyone else had such an experience with their units, and if so, were you able to resolve it successfully and how?
You could try running a channel scan with the antenna disconnected to clear out the channel memory. After it finishes connect the antenna and scan again.
post #27875 of 27972 Old 12-17-2018, 03:43 PM
7-Year Tribulation Soon?

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2020 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhvance View Post

I've got an odd situation with reception of several new sub-channels in my MDR537 which have so far confounded an explanation... The basic situation is that the unit receives and displays the base X.1 channel just fine; however, for the new X.2 channel only the audio is received (while the video is black/blank), and for the new X.3 channel there is neither video nor audio despite repeated rescans.

All 3 of the channels are received and the video and audio are properly rendered on an MDR867 unit as well as the television (Samsung UN32J5500AFXZA) I have which are fed by the same coax lead from the antenna and a signal booster upstream from all of my AV components...

How old is your MDR537?

Before my Philips DVDR 3576 totally died where it will not scan Cable channels anymore, I had several Cable channels with video, but no audio. My other devices received these 'problem' channels just fine. What it appears to be is this: Failing electronic components, perhaps one or more capacitors in your MDR-537.

- Pj
post #27876 of 27972 Old 12-26-2018, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quick question, maybe long-ago asked and answered:

My "benevolent" cable company recently went "all-digital," and my two MDR units can no longer receive any channels. I've channel scanned a few times, tried playing with the various connections from the cable box, but no joy. I can get an audio/video signal from the cable box, via a coax, but the Maggie can only "see" the channel that is tuned in when the TV set is actually on. Additionally, I got audio via the composite outs from the cable box, but no video signal.

The question is-- is there some sort of converter box that can be installed between the cable box coax OUT and the Maggie's coax IN that would render the signal readable/usable by the DVDR? Seems like the cable company's all-digital future has bypassed the technology of these wonderful units I bought about 10-12 years ago, but I'm hoping there is a hack. I was doing programmed recording on a number of shows, which is now impossible. Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

TYVM in advance.

--Mr. News
post #27877 of 27972 Old 12-26-2018, 04:42 PM
7-Year Tribulation Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNews View Post
Quick question, maybe long-ago asked and answered:

My "benevolent" cable company recently went "all-digital," and my two MDR units can no longer receive any channels... Seems like the cable company's all-digital future has bypassed the technology of these wonderful units...

Some Cable providers go All Digital, encrypted... having to use their cable box. If your Cable provider didn't go Clear QAM with any channel, your out of luck. If they did partly, you should get those channels. Before my Philips unit 'died', I had to manually add to existing channels. Additional channels were not being picked up by scanning. Probably due to aging, dying capacitors.

My Cable provider (local, not Big Branded) decided a while back to go All Digital Clear QAM (except for certain Pay Channels and major sports channels, etc). I don't use their box. I only subscribed to a 'Basic' package, all Clear QAM.

When your Cable provider had gone ALL DIGITAL, did they say you HAD to have their box unit? Do any other TVs you have that are on Cable have to have their box? Call your Cable provider and ask if they are 100% encrypted or do they have some Clear QAM channels.

- Pj
post #27878 of 27972 Old 12-26-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post

When your Cable provider had gone ALL DIGITAL, did they say you HAD to have their box unit? Do any other TVs you have that are on Cable have to have their box? Call your Cable provider and ask if they are 100% encrypted or do they have some Clear QAM channels.

- Pj

The cable company sent weeks of warnings that a cable box would be required for all levels of service (I didn't make the connection to my Maggie's abilities until a couple days ago), so I presume they are entirely digital. We've always had boxes, so we didn't need to obtain them. I guess there's no way to re-convert their digital signal back to analog, using some kind of de-converter?
I could get one of those antennae that non-cable folks use to pull in 15-20 local channels, but nothing we're interested in is on any of the OTA channels.... This might be the end of our days of timer recordings. Bummer.
post #27879 of 27972 Old 12-26-2018, 08:31 PM
7-Year Tribulation Soon?

Quote:

The cable company sent weeks of warnings that a cable box would be required for all levels of service (I didn't make the connection to my Maggie's abilities until a couple days ago), so I presume they are entirely digital. We've always had boxes, so we didn't need to obtain them. I guess there's no way to re-convert their digital signal back to analog, using some kind of de-converter?

Going digital is not the problem for your DVRs. Going digital AND encryption (scrambled signals) is the problem for consumer Cable TV. Your service is 100% Encrypted by their statement, "A cable box would be required for all levels of service".

You now need to have the Cable Box Signal Output connected to your DVR and leave it on a channel you want to record. If the Cable Box has a feature to program channel changes, that would help for unattended recordings for different channels. There are Cable Boxes with a built-in DVR (added monthly fee). Ask your provider if they have such boxes.

- Pj
post #27880 of 27972 Old 12-27-2018, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 656
If your cable box has composite outputs (yellow video + red/white audio) that's probably the best you can do (I assume newer Mags still have composite inputs?)

Even so, you're probably mostly out of luck for timer recordings (I could do 1 on my 515 by setting the STB's power-on time and channel and making sure it was off at record time). I could also manually start recordings of on-demand programming though some was copy protected or copy-once (recordable but not dubbable to DVD). I had unscrambled digital local channels for a few years that gave me much better quality recordings than the STB's composite output, but if your unscrambled channels were truly analog you shouldn't see much difference...

Edit> Depending where you live, you might also want to try hooking up an indoor antenna and doing the antenna scan instead of cable. If it finds any local channels your Mag's digital tuner should work fine with them.

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???

Last edited by cc_in_oh; 12-27-2018 at 06:03 AM.
post #27881 of 27972 Old 12-27-2018, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I could get one of those antennae that non-cable folks use to pull in 15-20 local channels, but nothing we're interested in is on any of the OTA channels.... This might be the end of our days of timer recordings. Bummer.
Here's my klugey workaround, which may or may not have any parts that will help you... My cable for years was clear QAM, which I was able to feed through two Mag/Philips units then to the TV. I could record whatever I wanted, although a lot of channels weren't HD.

Then they went to all-encrypted-digital, and for anyone who didn't already have a box, they gave a "mini box" (free for the first year). It has one input (the cable), and two outputs (HDMI and coax). Now pretty much everything's HD, but I can only watch it directly on my TV through the HDMI connection.

For me, almost everything I want to record is available OTA, so I connected an indoor antenna to the two recorders (passing through from one to the other then to the TV, so I still have the option of using the TV tuner for local OTA's). So now I can record what I want from the antenna.

For the two or three cable shows I want to record... I still have a working VCR with a timer. I connect the mini box to the VCR via COAX, and VCR to Mag through red/white/yellow composite cables (I use the front input, L2, I think). When I want to record something, I program the VCR, and also program the Mag to record from L2, for the same time period. Then the only catch is you have to make sure your cable box is set to the desired channel at the appropriate time (so you can't watch something different on cable when you want to record your show).

And as a couple posters already mentioned - if your cable box has other output options, and possibly its own on/off timer, you may be able to skip the VCR step and connect the box directly to your recorder, but you may still have the issue of making sure the cable box is on the right channel - I'm not sure what your options are there.

Clear as mud? I may eventually break down and get a cable DVR, or I may skip that phase entirely and go to some combination of OTA and streaming. But for now this works for me.
post #27882 of 27972 Old 12-27-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
You now need to have the Cable Box Signal Output connected to your DVR and leave it on a channel you want to record. If the Cable Box has a feature to program channel changes, that would help for unattended recordings for different channels. There are Cable Boxes with a built-in DVR (added monthly fee). Ask your provider if they have such boxes.

- Pj
Yes, the coax output from the cable box to the DVDR gives me recordable signal. But both the cable box AND the TV have to be powered up to get signal on the DVDR. So I could set up a timed recording on the Maggie, set up a timer to have the cable box go on (preset to the to-be-recorded channel), and program the TV to turn itself on. Pretty convoluted....

Spectrum does offer a DVR, for a stiff additional fee, and we're already paying $190/month. And their DVR does not allow for recording or transferring to DVDs. It's basically just a time-shifter.
post #27883 of 27972 Old 12-27-2018, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 656
It makes no sense that the TV would have to be on - maybe the cable box wants a hot HDMI connection before it will output anything? I doubt if it would help but I'd try playing around with CEC settings on both devices to see if it makes any difference. If nothing else, you might be able to get the STB to turn the TV on automatically...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #27884 of 27972 Old 12-27-2018, 10:08 AM
7-Year Tribulation Soon?

Quote:

Both the cable box AND the TV have to be powered up to get signal on the DVDR.

Why does the TV have to be on? You should only have to have the Box on for the DVR to 'see' it, yes/no?

- Pj

Edit Test of This Forum.

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; 02-22-2019 at 08:38 AM.
post #27885 of 27972 Old 12-27-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Why does the TV have to be on? You should only have to have the Box on for the DVR to 'see' it, yes/no?
- Pj
You're right- just made a test recording, and only the cable box needs to be on. (Some channels used to require both, or you got a screen with an HDCP error message.)

I was also able to get the Maggie to recognize the box on L1 (rather than antenna input), by doing another channel scan. It found "channel 4," the default input, I guess. Now, L1 sees whatever channel the box is tuned to; it also sees the cable guide when I punch it up, so it is mirroring exactly what is sent to the TV. However, the audio is much clearer, and the video slightly clearer on L1, versus the antenna input.

So the cable box does have a setting to turn it on and off automatically, I just have to remember to make sure it's set to the channel I want to record. And obviously, we can't be watching something else while it records. Though we do have an identical setup in the bedroom, so I should set the whole magilla up in there. Unfortunately, we'd have to play it back in there- not ideal for dinnertime viewing. But it would still work for the movies I record off TCM and later dub to DVD...
post #27886 of 27972 Old 12-31-2018, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV123 View Post
Here's my klugey workaround...
For the two or three cable shows I want to record... I still have a working VCR with a timer. I connect the mini box to the VCR via COAX, and VCR to Mag through red/white/yellow composite cables (I use the front input, L2, I think). When I want to record something, I program the VCR, and also program the Mag to record from L2, for the same time period. Then the only catch is you have to make sure your cable box is set to the desired channel at the appropriate time (so you can't watch something different on cable when you want to record your show).
Thanks, that's helpful. I may try that in the bedroom, where we still have a working VCR. Unfortunately, nothing I've ever recorded has been on an OTA channel. So for now, I program the cable box to turn on (making sure it's set to the channel I want), and program the Maggie to record its signal. The drawbacks are: can't watch a different channel during the recording, and can't watch the replay in a different location (without relocating the DVDR). So, not great for time-shifting, but still works for recording old movies to save on DVD. I'd consider a cable company DVR, but adding another $21/month to a bill that's already $190 (and growing constantly) is just irksome.
post #27887 of 27972 Old 12-31-2018, 07:57 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Thanks, that's helpful. I may try that in the bedroom, where we still have a working VCR. Unfortunately, nothing I've ever recorded has been on an OTA channel. So for now, I program the cable box to turn on (making sure it's set to the channel I want), and program the Maggie to record its signal. The drawbacks are: can't watch a different channel during the recording, and can't watch the replay in a different location (without relocating the DVDR). So, not great for time-shifting, but still works for recording old movies to save on DVD. I'd consider a cable company DVR, but adding another $21/month to a bill that's already $190 (and growing constantly) is just irksome.

Well, technically, you could burn the recording to a dvd, then watch that dvd elsewhere. Way back when, I got a box of rewritable dvds, thinking I would be doing that on a regular basis, but it really didn't happen. But it is possible.
post #27888 of 27972 Old 01-01-2019, 11:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked: 258
So for the past several weeks I was having problems with a very old cable box. Besides some random problems, several channels had garbled closed captions.
They sent out a tech who swapped it out for a more recent box and the captions returned.

Now I'm finding when I record on these specific channels, the previews on my Title List have an icon of a disc with a line through it and an arrow pointing to it. I assume that means no burning to disc.

I don't recall ever burning discs from those channels in particular, so it isn't an issue. Mostly I'm shocked that they actually made their own boxes obsolete by stuffing more garbage/DRM into the overscan region of SD(!) content. Why even bother? It's easily defeated with 1980s era tech.
post #27889 of 27972 Old 02-07-2019, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-N2 View Post
Please keep us updated with progress reports and if/when the DVR gets repaired what the fix was.
Picked up recorder today. After six months, no progress. I even gave them a repair manual, I found on the web. Did they look at it? Hard to say. I would like to think they did, but who knows. They couldn't figure out the problem. At least they didn't charge me. I'll keep it for parts. I can at least take out the HD and use it with my MDR865.
post #27890 of 27972 Old 02-07-2019, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Thanks for the update. Wish it was better news.

The first (correction second) troubleshooting step in the manual for a dead unit is check for x volts on TP x on the power supply board. I got as far as checking this voltage and confirmed it was zero (0) which seems to indicate a power supply problem. For some reason my friend did not want to remove the PS board or send it to the tech listed on EBAY for service, so he has three dead DVR's sitting in his closet. One --- the one he got from me in service.

If you have a voltmeter it is easy to check. You can access the "hot ground" and the TP from the top side of the PS board. The only thing you have to remove is the cover.

Has anyone ever found a source for new or refurbished PS boards?

Last edited by Pete-N2; 02-07-2019 at 12:11 PM.
post #27891 of 27972 Old 02-07-2019, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-N2 View Post
Thanks for the update. Wish it was better news.

The first (correction second) troubleshooting step in the manual for a dead unit is check for x volts on TP x on the power supply board. I got as far as checking this voltage and confirmed it was zero (0) which seems to indicate a power supply problem. For some reason my friend did not want to remove the PS board or send it to the tech listed on EBAY for service, so he has three dead DVR's sitting in his closet. One --- the one he got from me in service.

If you have a voltmeter it is easy to check. You can access the "hot ground" and the TP from the top side of the PS board. The only thing you have to remove is the cover.

Has anyone ever found a source for new or refurbished PS boards?
I haven't had any problems on my 2160A but have had to replace caps on other audio units.

My 2160A just keeps soldiering on. I don't use the DVD at all, I just like to record on it because I use low quality like LP mode and can store a ton of stuff till I get around to watching it. For high qual I have a tuner in my htpc so can record HD but that can chew up a lot of disk space. (How many 6 Tb drives do you really need?)

scott s.

Sony XBR-65A1E
post #27892 of 27972 Old 02-21-2019, 03:17 PM

Liked: 0
How to get HD 1080P into the DVR HDD

The 5xx series mentioned are all SD quality which no one wants to watch on today's TVs.
Even the ATSC tuner will output SD, even if scaled to 1080P HDMI output on the 5XX series.

Similarly the 8XX series is the same as far as the DVD portion is 480P or 480i no matter how you look at it, it is SD, even though HDMI out is upscaled.

On all these units, if you try to copy contents by removing the HDD and connecting to PC, your PC will want to format it, erasing whole things.
Opposite is true as well: Take a PC HDD loaded with any videos and connect to any Magnavox you wish, and Magnavox will require formatting.
Therefore impossible to transer from HDD to PC. Only way out (or in) is DVD which is SD.

The MDR865H I just bought for a whopping $259 (I got extra and sold them at $500), this one records in 1080i HD from the Tuner only.
The HDMI out will be 1080p like all others, but you will see a night and day difference since picture size is truly 1920x1080.

Disc drive is still DVD, so you are stuck with 480p quality coming in or out. There is no HD input of any kind, just composite and Svideo like all the rest.

Why am I wasting your time telling you that you cannot import a true 1080P video onto the MDR865H hard drive (also allows external HDD connected) ?

Because you can and I just did it.

There's your trivia question of the day: How do you copy a 1080P video INTO the MDR865H hard drive when it's impossible to connect to a PC without formatting it?

Answer is undocumented and you may laugh how simple it is. I now have 1080P video on the HDD which did NOT come from the built in HD tuner.
post #27893 of 27972 Old 02-21-2019, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2221 Post(s)
Liked: 1355
You should have posted this to the 865 thread where you posted your initial post.

And if you do, don't make people beg for the information you purport to have. They get testy about stuff like that -- especially from newbee's.
jhvance and greaser like this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #27894 of 27972 Old 02-21-2019, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doran David View Post
On all these units, if you try to copy contents by removing the HDD and connecting to PC, your PC will want to format it, erasing whole things.
Want is the keyword. Windows will want (offer) to format it, but you need not and should not let it. Gnu/Linux distros by default generally won't make you that dangerous offer, and can access its content without formatting it.

Quote:
Therefore impossible to transer from HDD to PC.
False. What isn't possible is conveniently copying individual recordings to a PC. The recordings can be accessed via Linux boot and using a video editor suited to task. It's hard, but not impossible.

Quote:
Answer is undocumented and you may laugh how simple it is. I now have 1080P video on the HDD which did NOT come from the built in HD tuner.
Please share the answer so we can have the laugh.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #27895 of 27972 Old 03-03-2019, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I can hazard a guess.

Importing AVHCD via the USB port?
post #27896 of 27972 Old 03-03-2019, 09:30 PM

Apparently you haven't begged enough for the information.
Posters like this are extremely annoying.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #27897 of 27972 Old 03-03-2019, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Can't HD content be transferred via the firewire port? Never having had a firewire device, I never looked into the specs on that.
The USB is read-only. Data can't be copied from it to the HDD or burned to a disc.
post #27898 of 27972 Old 03-04-2019, 10:48 AM

I think firewire ports on DVDR's were for transferring video from camcorders.

- kelson h

post #27899 of 27972 Old 03-04-2019, 02:33 PM

Didn't the old CapDVHS application allow "serving" HDTV content back to a D-VHS recorder over firewire as an MPEG-2 stream?

I think it emulated a cable/sat box.. if it did and MDR imported it as HD content.. well..
post #27900 of 27972 Old 03-13-2019, 04:34 PM

I can finally post that a method for extracting recordings from the HDD of a Magnavox 2160, 513 or a Philips 3575, 3576 has been completed and made available.. a more detailed post on how to download it it was made over in DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Basically its an enhanced version of IsoBuster to which the ability to extract recordings based on their VR format IFO information has been applied.. and thats a (way) over simplified description of what's actually going on. It does much more than that.

The recordings are complete and (intact) they are not a series of clips or disjointed name less files.. they are tagged with their proper recording metadata as contained in their descriptor blocks.

IsoBuster is actually reading the hard drive, presenting the contents, and then reading (only) those sectors required for a selected recording or recordings. So its fast.. as fast as the hard drive and the PC allows.

Its appears famous people like PeterTheGeek and others may have moved on, they don't appear to have posted in more than a year in some cases. I wish I could get in contact with them.. in deciphering the precise VR format... there are things Peter (the author of IsoBuster) and I did not understand.. especially in the later generations of the DVD recorders.

The most interesting of these is that with the 2160, 513 and the 3576 there appears to be a run-out tail or stream of bytes that (do nothing) and have no meaning. Rather than trim those bytes.. since they are a legitimate part of the record for the recording they are dutifully and faithfully included in the extraction. But they do not exist for the 3575. All of the Toshiba recordings have no extra bytes beyond their records.. its a lingering mystery.

Any suggestions in public or via private message would be welcome.

We're looking for commentary and bug reports from people trying the software. Peter has no access to DVD recorder hardware.. and I have a somewhat limited number of recorders to test with.. each of the model numbers listed on the original post as "supported" is an actual recorder I have touched and tried the software on.. but there are no doubt edge cases we've never thought about to test.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page