Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 932 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1016Likes

post #27931 of 27974 Old 05-26-2019, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillis84 View Post
Photos attached

Hard Disk Drive:
Brand: TOSHIBA
Model #: MQ01ABF050
"Drive REV" Letters and Numbers: ASP AB00/AM001G
jwillis84 - Thank you for your response and attached photos.
Your Magnavox 865 HDD is exactly the same as mine, right down to the,
"Drive REV", ASP AA00 / AM001G.
I've tried to contact Toshiba in re: "Drive REV" matching letters and numbers,
important or not(?), but to date, no reply.
(on a different note) Did I understand your post correctly ... your having issues
with your 865 not working?
Thanks again for your prompt reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27932 of 27974 Old 05-26-2019, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertoe View Post
jwillis84 - Thank you for your response and attached photos.
Your Magnavox 865 HDD is exactly the same as mine, right down to the,
"Drive REV", ASP AA00 / AM001G.
I've tried to contact Toshiba in re: "Drive REV" matching letters and numbers,
important or not(?), but to date, no reply.
(on a different note) Did I understand your post correctly ... your having issues
with your 865 not working?
Thanks again for your prompt reply.
Nope.. no problems at all.. works perfectly.

There is quite a bit known about the 800 series at this point.. but its just not a target for IsoBuster extractions direct to the PC.

Last edited by jwillis84; 05-26-2019 at 11:50 AM.
post #27933 of 27974 Old 06-01-2019, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
setup with Verizon Fios cable box

I have had my Magnavox MDR535H since 2013 but have never been able to get it to work properly. The manual is overwhelming so I decided to search online for help and found this site. The back of my Fios cable box has only one coaxial cable port so does that mean I should set up in this manner?
The cable from the wall connected to an Antronix 2 way splitter.
One output from the splitter to the Fios cable box.
One output from the splitter to the Magnavox.
HDMI cable from the Magnavox to the back of my Samsung TV. (model UN55H6300AFXZA)
Would I need any other connections in order for the Magnavox to work?
Is it important that any of these items be unplugged before connecting?
Any other helpful hints would be most appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27934 of 27974 Old 06-02-2019, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsulli View Post
I have had my Magnavox MDR535H since 2013 but have never been able to get it to work properly. The manual is overwhelming so I decided to search online for help and found this site. The back of my Fios cable box has only one coaxial cable port so does that mean I should set up in this manner?
The cable from the wall connected to an Antronix 2 way splitter.
One output from the splitter to the Fios cable box.
One output from the splitter to the Magnavox.
HDMI cable from the Magnavox to the back of my Samsung TV. (model UN55H6300AFXZA)
Would I need any other connections in order for the Magnavox to work?
Is it important that any of these items be unplugged before connecting?
I'm not sure what "work properly" means. Do this: take the coax from your splitter and connect it to your TV's coax. Run a channel scan on your TV. How many channels are found and look good?
post #27935 of 27974 Old 06-02-2019, 08:37 AM

I have never been able to use the Magnavox DVR - that is what I meant by "work properly". Is the setup I mentioned in my first post the correct way to setup with a Fios cable box?
Are you saying to just install the splitter and another coaxial cable between the outside cable line and the Fios box to see if we can still watch TV as usual before doing anything with the Magnavox?
post #27936 of 27974 Old 06-02-2019, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have never been able to use the Magnavox DVR - that is what I meant by "work properly". Is the setup I mentioned in my first post the correct way to setup with a Fios cable box?
Are you saying to just install the splitter and another coaxial cable between the outside cable line and the Fios box to see if we can still watch TV as usual before doing anything with the Magnavox?
My request was to answer the question: "is your cable encrypted QAM?"

If it is, then dispose of the DVDR.

I don't have a cable box. There are users who do. Posting the model number might help. That would possibly allow you to take the analog output of the STB (if it has one) and feed the DVDR. Also, the RF output of the STB might be fed to the DVDR on channel 2 or 3 with very poor picture quality. Neither of the previous two situations will allow you to schedule recordings unless your STB has a time to change the channel. BTW, Fios cable box == STB and DVDR == the Magnavox.

Last edited by JoeKustra; 06-02-2019 at 11:31 AM.
post #27937 of 27974 Old 06-02-2019, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
As Joe Kustra requested, temporarily connect the cable from the wall directly to your TV and do a channel scan. This will tell you whether or not your DVDR can tune any channels directly. If successful, the cabling you have now could be acceptable to allow the DVDR to tune channels directly, depending on your expectations.

If the TV cannot tune any channels, then the DVDR won't be able to either. That does not make the DVDR completely useless. It's possible to send the analog output from the cable box to the DVDR so that you can use the DVDR to make recordings or simply time shift. Most cable boxes disable one set of outputs or the other, so that when one is connected to anything, another cannot get video from it. If this is the case, then output from the box has to be run through a splitter to reach both TV and DVDR. If the HDMI is to be used for the TV, then the splitter must be a HDMI splitter, which cannot be connected directly to the DVDR. A HDMI to analog converter must then be used in between. splitter and DVDR.

Finally, the DVDR is not useless. It can tune free OTA channels. Depending on your location, you might be able to get anywhere between just a few, and up to possibly 100 or more. Where I live somewhere between 30 & 40 are always available. How much antenna is required for free TV depends on location, anywhere between $10 and upwards of $1000, depending on distance and terrain between you and transmitters. Nobody needs to pay monthly subscription fees for access to commercial TV.

The DVDR can also be connected to adapters to record from streaming devices, such as Roku and Firestick, and, without any adapters, to hundreds of free satellite TV channels.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #27938 of 27974 Old 06-03-2019, 01:54 PM

Thanks mrmazda.
As Joe Kustra requested, temporarily connect the cable from the wall directly to your TV and do a channel scan. This will tell you whether or not your DVDR can tune any channels directly. - This was not successful - cannot tune any channels directly.

If the TV cannot tune any channels, then the DVDR won't be able to either. That does not make the DVDR completely useless. It's possible to send the analog output from the cable box to the DVDR so that you can use the DVDR to make recordings or simply time shift. I was able to connect the DVDR to the cable box with the red, white, and yellow cables (I guess these are the analog outputs?). I am able to record using the L1 setting for the channel what is currently on the TV. The TV must be turned on or it doesn't work. I could tell the DVDR to record for sometime later in the day but would have to leave the TV on all day (let's say while I was gone for the day) in order for it to work.

Most cable boxes disable one set of outputs or the other, so that when one is connected to anything, another cannot get video from it. This doesn't seem to be the case for my cable box based on the above, right? I checked with Verizon and they don't have a HD cable box with both in and out coaxial cable ports.
If this is the case, then output from the box has to be run through a splitter to reach both TV and DVDR. If the HDMI is to be used for the TV, then the splitter must be a HDMI splitter, which cannot be connected directly to the DVDR. A HDMI to analog converter must then be used in between. splitter and DVDR.

I called Magnavox and they said I won't be able to record from the TV which is not true. But I am also not happy with what I have been able to accomplish thus far. I am hoping there is some way to change the connections to make this work (being able to record programs on various channels without having to have the TV on). Here is what I currently have as the connections:
HDMI from DVDR to TV
HDMI from cable box to TV
Coaxial cable from wall where cable enters house to cable box
Coaxial cable from DVDR to TV
white, red, and yellow analog cables from cable box to DVDR
JoeKustra likes this.
post #27939 of 27974 Old 06-03-2019, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Thanks mrmazda.
As Joe Kustra requested, temporarily connect the cable from the wall directly to your TV and do a channel scan. This will tell you whether or not your DVDR can tune any channels directly. - This was not successful - cannot tune any channels directly.

If the TV cannot tune any channels, then the DVDR won't be able to either. That does not make the DVDR completely useless. It's possible to send the analog output from the cable box to the DVDR so that you can use the DVDR to make recordings or simply time shift. I was able to connect the DVDR to the cable box with the red, white, and yellow cables (I guess these are the analog outputs?). I am able to record using the L1 setting for the channel what is currently on the TV. The TV must be turned on or it doesn't work. I could tell the DVDR to record for sometime later in the day but would have to leave the TV on all day (let's say while I was gone for the day) in order for it to work.

Most cable boxes disable one set of outputs or the other, so that when one is connected to anything, another cannot get video from it. This doesn't seem to be the case for my cable box based on the above, right? I checked with Verizon and they don't have a HD cable box with both in and out coaxial cable ports.
If this is the case, then output from the box has to be run through a splitter to reach both TV and DVDR. If the HDMI is to be used for the TV, then the splitter must be a HDMI splitter, which cannot be connected directly to the DVDR. A HDMI to analog converter must then be used in between. splitter and DVDR.

I called Magnavox and they said I won't be able to record from the TV which is not true. But I am also not happy with what I have been able to accomplish thus far. I am hoping there is some way to change the connections to make this work (being able to record programs on various channels without having to have the TV on). Here is what I currently have as the connections:
HDMI from DVDR to TV
HDMI from cable box to TV
Coaxial cable from wall where cable enters house to cable box
Coaxial cable from DVDR to TV
white, red, and yellow analog cables from cable box to DVDR
You are NOT recording from the tv. You are recording via the analog output- yellow red white cables from the set top box. You should remove the coax from the dvdr to the tv. You need to go into the tv menu and, I think it’s the cec setting and turn it off so that turning off the tv has no effect. Someone with knowledge of you tv can help on this last part.
JoeKustra likes this.
post #27940 of 27974 Old 06-03-2019, 03:17 PM

Routing plan for Magnavox 535 to TV

Isulli ---
Welcome to the AVS Forum.
(you) Have the Magnavox MDR535H, since 2013.
(reply) A good reliable machine.
(you) The manual is overwhelming
(reply) Yes I remember my first Magnavox [MDR 2080] manual. "Who wrote this mess")

(reply, routing) From cable wall outlet > coax cable into Cable Box > coax cable out of Cable
Box >
into DVR Antenna IN > coax cable from DVR Antenna OUT > TV Ant IN. Finished.

See example in Magnavox 535 User Manual, page 19,
CONNECTION: Connecting to Cable/Satellite Box.

From previous replies, your connecting your Cable Box, DVR and TV with a wide
array of different cables, duplicating the signal path, when a single cable is all
you really need. Your complicating the signal, and its unnecessary. What cables
do you have available, for connecting up your Cable Box, DVR and TV?

(Question) What symptoms or issues are you having, that makes you think your TV
or DVR is not "working properly"? What are you trying to do, that your having trouble with?

Last edited by Robertoe; 06-03-2019 at 03:22 PM.
post #27941 of 27974 Old 06-03-2019, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertoe View Post
Isulli ---
Welcome to the AVS Forum.
(you) Have the Magnavox MDR535H, since 2013.
(reply) A good reliable machine.
(you) The manual is overwhelming
(reply) Yes I remember my first Magnavox [MDR 2080] manual. "Who wrote this mess")

(reply, routing) From cable wall outlet > coax cable into Cable Box > coax cable out of Cable
Box >
into DVR Antenna IN > coax cable from DVR Antenna OUT > TV Ant IN. Finished.

See example in Magnavox 535 User Manual, page 19,
CONNECTION: Connecting to Cable/Satellite Box.

From previous replies, your connecting your Cable Box, DVR and TV with a wide
array of different cables, duplicating the signal path, when a single cable is all
you really need. Your complicating the signal, and its unnecessary. What cables
do you have available, for connecting up your Cable Box, DVR and TV?

(Question) What symptoms or issues are you having, that makes you think your TV
or DVR is not "working properly"? What are you trying to do, that your having trouble with?

Did you read all the posts and replies? Apparently all the Fios channels are encrypted. Therefor he can’t connect as you suggest. At this point he will only be able to record output from the cable box via the analog cables.
post #27942 of 27974 Old 06-03-2019, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Most cable boxes do not disconnect a set of outputs while using the other. I have gone through numerous cable boxes in the last two decades and not one cable box disconnected a set of outputs while using the other. True that some cable company may disconnect via custom firmware but most do not...
post #27943 of 27974 Old 06-03-2019, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post
most do not...
I encountered exactly one that did not, around a decade ago. All others killed at least the video on analog when HDMI was connected. These were all on Time Warner, later Bright House, and finally Spectrum systems.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #27944 of 27974 Old 06-04-2019, 04:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2214 Post(s)
Liked: 2421
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
My request was to answer the question: "is your cable encrypted QAM?"

If it is, then dispose of the DVDR.

On FiOS the local channels should be ClearQAM, but the normal channel scan routine won't be able to find many of the channels. Some of the scrambled channels are carried on frequencies that correspond with some of the ClearQAM virtual channel numbers. The Maggie finds the scrambled channels first so it blocks out those channel numbers. When it finds a virtual channel with a major number that corresponds to a scrambled frequency it doesn't know how to handle it. My recorders have been OTA for a few years so I haven't tried it lately but I did find a workaround to that problem. I would clear out the channel memory by running a channel scan with the coax removed first. Then I would do another scan with the coax still removed until it gets past DTV channel 12. As soon as the scan goes past channel 12 I would connect the coax to the antenna in port and let it finish the scan.
ClearToLand likes this.
post #27945 of 27974 Old 06-04-2019, 04:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post
Most cable boxes do not disconnect a set of outputs while using the other.
I had a FiOS Motorola QIP7100 that shut off the analog outputs whenever the HDMI output was in use.
post #27946 of 27974 Old 06-04-2019, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wajo..... You are definitely missed!
JoeKustra and artisticimaging like this.
post #27947 of 27974 Old 06-04-2019, 06:50 AM

Thanks to all who have been trying to help me.

You are NOT recording from the tv. You are recording via the analog output- yellow red white cables from the set top box. You should remove the coax from the dvdr to the tv. You need to go into the tv menu and, I think it’s the cec setting and turn it off so that turning off the tv has no effect. Someone with knowledge of you tv can help on this last part. Unfortunately, even after turning off the Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) I was still unable to successfully record unless the TV was turned on. I did remove the Coaxial cable from the DVDR to TV. I called Samsung (my TV is a Samsung UN55H6300AFXZA) and they said all the connections are correct and they were unable to help me resolve this. So I have now spoken with Verizon, Magnavox, and Samsung.

Ken F. can you please tell me how to run a channel scan? Are you saying that that might help with being able to record programs - that it's a channel issue?
post #27948 of 27974 Old 06-04-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ken F. can you please tell me how to run a channel scan? Are you saying that that might help with being able to record programs - that it's a channel issue?
What I'm saying is you should be able to tune and record your local channels (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC etc) directly on the Magnavox without using the cable box. You would split the coax coming from the wall with one piece of coax going to your cable box like it does now, and the other going to the ANT IN connector on the back of the Magnavox. Connect a HDMI cable from the back of the Magnavox to one of the HDMI inputs on your TV. When you tune your TV to the appropriate HDMI input you should be able to see the video output from the Magnavox displayed on your TV.

I don't have a 535. I have a 513 and a 515 so I don't know if the settings menu on your model is the same as mine.
On my models I go to Setup-> General Setting-> Channel-> Auto Channel Preset-> Cable (Analog/Digital) to scan for channels. I run that scan once with the coax disconnected from the back of the Magnavox to clear the channel memory. After it finishes scanning, start the channel scan again with the coax still disconnected. When it gets to channel 12 connect the coax to ANT IN on the back of the Magnavox and wait for it to finish. You should be able to tune your local channels with the Magnavox remote.
post #27949 of 27974 Old 06-04-2019, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
What I'm saying is you should be able to tune and record your local channels (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC etc) directly on the Magnavox without using the cable box.
That doesn't agree with the earlier post: "As Joe Kustra requested, temporarily connect the cable from the wall directly to your TV and do a channel scan. This will tell you whether or not your DVDR can tune any channels directly. - This was not successful - cannot tune any channels directly."

It doesn't seem that the FiOS feed provides unencrypted local channels or the TV would have found them. Too bad the guy can't use an antenna.
post #27950 of 27974 Old 06-04-2019, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
It doesn't seem that the FiOS feed provides unencrypted local channels or the TV would have found them. Too bad the guy can't use an antenna.
That would be the first case that I heard of FiOS not having at least some ClearQAM channels. They have a local channels only plan that doesn't need a cable box so the QAM channels should be there. If this is Frontier then all bets are off.
post #27951 of 27974 Old 06-04-2019, 04:08 PM

Reply to BIG$$TV post #27941 comment

BIG$$TV –
Comment attached to Post #27941
(You) Did you read all the posts and replies? Apparently all the Fios channels are encrypted. Therefor he can’t connect as you suggest. At this point he will only be able to record output from the cable box via the analog cables.

(reply) Yes I have read replies, and on that same token, did you read my reply?
It does include the Cable Box. (summary) Wall outlet > Cable box > DVR > TV. (as per User Manual).

Personally I don't think the cable routing is Isulli's problem, being the User Manual: Connections (How To) are pretty straight forward including options, for several different scenarios. Although the User Manual can be confusing, it’s a necessary evil for learning how to access/operate the many DVR features.
post #27952 of 27974 Old 06-04-2019, 06:39 PM

Thanks Ken.F
What I'm saying is you should be able to tune and record your local channels (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC etc) directly on the Magnavox without using the cable box. You would split the coax coming from the wall with one piece of coax going to your cable box like it does now, and the other going to the ANT IN connector on the back of the Magnavox. Connect a HDMI cable from the back of the Magnavox to one of the HDMI inputs on your TV. When you tune your TV to the appropriate HDMI input you should be able to see the video output from the Magnavox displayed on your TV.
I set up the cables as you suggested. I have the HDMI from the Magnavox going into the HDMI 3 port on the TV. And when I change the source to HDMI 3 I am able to see all the menus as well as the station that is playing on the TV (although not in HD). But I was able to see this before I used the splitter.

I don't have a 535. I have a 513 and a 515 so I don't know if the settings menu on your model is the same as mine.
On my models I go to Setup-> General Setting-> Channel-> Auto Channel Preset-> Cable (Analog/Digital) to scan for channels. The settings are the same for the 535.

I run that scan once with the coax disconnected from the back of the Magnavox to clear the channel memory. After it finishes scanning, start the channel scan again with the coax still disconnected. When it gets to channel 12 connect the coax to ANT IN on the back of the Magnavox and wait for it to finish. You should be able to tune your local channels with the Magnavox remote.
I did the scans as you suggested. It was tricky getting the coaxial cable into the port exactly at channel 12 so it might have been at 13 or 14 by the time it was solidly connected. Would that make a difference? After getting that done, I tried using the timer program to record CBS on channel 9 (not HD). I had the TV on that channel prior to doing the programming. I turned the TV off prior to the start of the recording. Unfortunately, the clip I recorded was blank - nothing was recorded. I know this is because I turned off the TV before the recording started (recording does work if I have the TV on while doing the recording). I am wondering if I am accessing the TV the wrong way before starting the recording (in order to not be using the cable box). I changed the source to HDMI3 before doing the timer program so that I could access the menu to setup the program. I did not switch the source back to HDMI2 (cable) before the recording started.

Otherwise it seems like it is not possible to record programs with the timer when the TV is off. Am I missing something?
post #27953 of 27974 Old 06-04-2019, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did the scans as you suggested. It was tricky getting the coaxial cable into the port exactly at channel 12 so it might have been at 13 or 14 by the time it was solidly connected. Would that make a difference?
That should be fine.

Quote:
After getting that done, I tried using the timer program to record CBS on channel 9 (not HD).
"Channel 9" sounds like a cable box channel number. The Magnavox should be tuning channel numbers like 4.2, 7.3, or 9.1. You should be able to watch or record those channels on the Magnavox without using the cable box.

Quote:
I had the TV on that channel prior to doing the programming. I turned the TV off prior to the start of the recording. Unfortunately, the clip I recorded was blank - nothing was recorded. I know this is because I turned off the TV before the recording started (recording does work if I have the TV on while doing the recording). I am wondering if I am accessing the TV the wrong way before starting the recording (in order to not be using the cable box). I changed the source to HDMI3 before doing the timer program so that I could access the menu to setup the program. I did not switch the source back to HDMI2 (cable) before the recording started.
It doesn't make any difference to the Magnavox which input the TV is on while recording. It sounds like you are still recording from the cable box and maybe the cable box got turned off?
post #27954 of 27974 Old 06-05-2019, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
That would be the first case that I heard of FiOS not having at least some ClearQAM channels. They have a local channels only plan that doesn't need a cable box so the QAM channels should be there.
Yes they do have a separate local channel plan for clear QAM locals. So maybe they now encrypt all the channels unless you pay for the clear QAM locals. Wouldn't put it past them.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #27955 of 27974 Old 06-05-2019, 07:09 PM

Ken.F wrote - The Magnavox should be tuning channel numbers like 4.2, 7.3, or 9.1.
I decided to try scanning the channels on the Magnavox with the Fios cable box unplugged in case that was causing the problem but the same channels came up even with the cable box off. I don't see any channels with numbers like 4.2, etc. I am using the L1 (rear) setting for the video input in case that matters. I am not sure what else to try.
post #27956 of 27974 Old 06-05-2019, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I decided to try scanning the channels on the Magnavox with the Fios cable box unplugged in case that was causing the problem but the same channels came up even with the cable box off. I don't see any channels with numbers like 4.2, etc. I am using the L1 (rear) setting for the video input in case that matters. I am not sure what else to try.
Try using the Channel + or Channel - button on the Magnavox remote and see what channels you get.
post #27957 of 27974 Old 06-05-2019, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked: 258
"I decided to try scanning the channels on the Magnavox with the Fios cable box unplugged"
That sounds like you are passing your antenna cable into the cable box and then out to your Magnavox. The box might just be outputting a tuned signal on ch. 3.
post #27958 of 27974 Old 06-06-2019, 05:36 PM

Hi Ken.F
Try using the Channel + or Channel - button on the Magnavox remote and see what channels you get.
I did that and it worked!!! I was able to find channels like 6.1 and 9.1, etc. I was also able to timer program a show on one of those channels and it recorded correctly even though we were watching something else through the Fios cable. The only difficulty is figuring out which channel is which. Luckily the program I really want to tape is on CBS and I was able to find the one with the CBS symbol in the corner of the screen. If I ever wanted to tape another channel, I'd have difficulty. Would be so nice if there was a channel guide for the Magnavox, but I am happy to finally have a working DVDR! Thanks so much for everyone's help.
post #27959 of 27974 Old 06-09-2019, 01:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked: 258
I've had my cable box pass through an old 80's era Macrovision remover for a long time now. Recently I've found I'm getting the cannot record warning again.

The box still seems to function. I know the old boxes work by inserting a black bar in the overscan area, blanking any data there (it even kills closed captions). Is there something else that they can use that also trips the anti-copy on these DVRs?
post #27960 of 27974 Old 06-09-2019, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
I've had my cable box pass through an old 80's era Macrovision remover for a long time now. Recently I've found I'm getting the cannot record warning again.

The box still seems to function. I know the old boxes work by inserting a black bar in the overscan area, blanking any data there (it even kills closed captions). Is there something else that they can use that also trips the anti-copy on these DVRs?
I've had real good luck with a Grex, off Amazon and while I don't use it on a cable STB I have used it to copy DVDs and even Blue Ray discs to my DVDRs. I believe the old MV removers were simply analog devices that just removed MV, the Grex is supposed to be digital and again seems to remove the digital CP used on DVDs and BDs. Note I've also had good luck with my Sima CT2's to remove digital CP but they are no longer made.
Kind of a funny looking thing, looks like some sort of medical device but sure seems to work good and isn't priced too bad IMO.
https://www.amazon.com/XDIMAX-GREX-7...s%2C164&sr=8-2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page