Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 933 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1016Likes

post #27961 of 27974 Old 06-09-2019, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
I've had real good luck with a Grex, off Amazon and while I don't use it on a cable STB I have used it to copy DVDs and even Blue Ray discs to my DVDRs. I believe the old MV removers were simply analog devices that just removed MV, the Grex is supposed to be digital and again seems to remove the digital CP used on DVDs and BDs. Note I've also had good luck with my Sima CT2's to remove digital CP but they are no longer made.
Kind of a funny looking thing, looks like some sort of medical device but sure seems to work good and isn't priced too bad IMO.
https://www.amazon.com/XDIMAX-GREX-7...s%2C164&sr=8-2
Thanks. My cable provider must have done something new. Heck, I get a lot of recordings now with the little disc icon with a line through it. The Grex is a bit pricey, but might be worth a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27962 of 27974 Old 06-09-2019, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Weird. I replied. The thread shows I replied. The post isn't here.
To try again, thanks jjeff. The Grex is a bit pricey, so I might hold off on that.
I have also in the past 6 months gotten a lot of the disc icon with a slash through it on recordings. Whatever my cableco is doing, they definitely know what screws with these DVRs.
post #27963 of 27974 Old 06-10-2019, 03:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2214 Post(s)
Liked: 2420
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Weird. I replied. The thread shows I replied. The post isn't here.
Your post is there. Try going to your User CP, click Edit Options in the left column then change the posts per page to 100.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27964 of 27974 Old 06-10-2019, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 448
I was stuck too. I just added this post and it did something since I was able to get to this page. The post count is messed up too.
DoctorM likes this.

Last edited by JoeKustra; 06-10-2019 at 08:15 AM.
post #27965 of 27974 Old 06-10-2019, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Your post is there. Try going to your User CP, click Edit Options in the left column then change the posts per page to 100.
Early this morning I could see you had made a post to this thread, it was the most recent one but when I went into this thread to look at it, my post was the last one
Seeing everyone's posts now
DoctorM, I haven't found anything the Grex hasn't let me copy to my DVDRs but I'd imagine since you'd probably be purchasing it off Amazon if it didn't work you should always be able to return it
DoctorM likes this.
post #27966 of 27974 Old 06-11-2019, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Red face Magnavox MDR535H HDMI function does not work no signal being sent from the MDR535H

Hello,
Is there possibly an answer to this problem: I purchased a Magnavox MDR535H new, when it first came out. I've always used only the component terminal connections to connect it to my Panasonic Viera plasma TV (2011 model.) I recently thought I'd try out the HDMI connection to see if it produced a better picture than the component connection. I was not able to get any signal to output from the HDMI connection to the Panasonic TV.
I did try a reset by shutting off both the TV and the MDR535H, - unplugging them from AC power, connecting and reconnecting HDMI cables etc.
There is no functionality at all in any of the MDR535H HDMI settings, adjustments etc. There is no signal output at all from the HDMI connection to the TV. The TV just displays: "No Signal"
This is always the status of the machine:
The MDR535H menus can only be read on the TV's screen by selecting the - also connected - MDR535H component output connection. There is no signal at all being received when TV's input is set to the connected HDMI output of the MDR535H.
In the MDR535H HDMI setup menu, the following setup options are grayed -out and non functioning: 1. Format, 2. HDMI Audio, 3. RGB Range.
The #4 "fun link" (HDMI CEC) is active, and "on or off" can be selected. I tried both options but neither made any difference in trying to get an HDMI signal output from the MDR535H.
The HDMI button on the remote does nothing when pressed. Nothing is changed or displayed on the MDR535H display window or the TV.
Again, there is never a signal output when using the HDMI connection on the TV - Nothing appears - not even a Magnavox screen saver etc. And there is no sound either.
Yes, I do know from testing the HDMI input on the Panasonic TV that it is "on". - and it is set to auto detect. The connected TV's HDMI input works perfectly when other HDMI devices - ROKU, a computer, or a blu-ray player are connected to it. The TV's HDMI input's automatic connection and identification functions work perfectly with all other devices. The HDMI cable is fairly new - premium quality and it works perfectly when using it to connect other HDMI devices.
I also tried getting a signal with the HDD drive running - playing an HD recorded title, also tried a dvd playing a movie - still no signal at all is being sent. All of the MDR535 HDMI functions appear to be dead.
Thank you for any helpful replies to this problem. Sincerely, Dennis
post #27967 of 27974 Old 06-12-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Dennis, not sure if you've seen the OP to this thread but here's a link to the section on HDMI, note the author Wajo doesn't seem to like HDMI and really suggests using anything but
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/106-d...l#post12298409
post #27968 of 27974 Old 06-13-2019, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS NOVAK View Post
Hello,
Is there possibly an answer to this problem: I purchased a Magnavox MDR535H new, when it first came out. I've always used only the component terminal connections to connect it to my Panasonic Viera plasma TV (2011 model.) I recently thought I'd try out the HDMI connection to see if it produced a better picture than the component connection. I was not able to get any signal to output from the HDMI connection to the Panasonic TV.
I did try a reset by shutting off both the TV and the MDR535H, - unplugging them from AC power, connecting and reconnecting HDMI cables etc.
There is no functionality at all in any of the MDR535H HDMI settings, adjustments etc. There is no signal output at all from the HDMI connection to the TV. The TV just displays: "No Signal"
Thank you for any helpful replies to this problem. Sincerely, Dennis

It sounds like you've tried all possible combinations of swapping out devices and cables, and I doubt this is it, but did you try it WITHOUT the component connection? Could it be that if there are multiple connections, it's only sending the signal through one? And I'm assuming you double-checked that the HDMI was fully connected on both ends...

I also have a 500-series (515, I think?) and I recently got a new tv that had an HDMI connection available. I switched to using that, and I don't recall having an issue with the HDMI signal (after I got all the cables connected to what I thought they were connected to ) I do notice that almost every time I go to use the Magnavox, it's defaulted back to the lowest HDMI setting, and I have to cycle through with the button on the remote to get the best one. I'm not sure if that's how it works for everyone, or if there's something going on with either the tv or the Mag. I tried all possibilities on the CEC/funlink settings - no difference.

So maybe if there's still anyone out there with a similar setup, they can shed some light for both of us.
post #27969 of 27974 Old 06-14-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV123 View Post
It sounds like you've tried all possible combinations of swapping out devices and cables, and I doubt this is it, but did you try it WITHOUT the component connection? Could it be that if there are multiple connections, it's only sending the signal through one? And I'm assuming you double-checked that the HDMI was fully connected on both ends...

I also have a 500-series (515, I think?) and I recently got a new tv that had an HDMI connection available. I switched to using that, and I don't recall having an issue with the HDMI signal (after I got all the cables connected to what I thought they were connected to ) I do notice that almost every time I go to use the Magnavox, it's defaulted back to the lowest HDMI setting, and I have to cycle through with the button on the remote to get the best one. I'm not sure if that's how it works for everyone, or if there's something going on with either the tv or the Mag. I tried all possibilities on the CEC/funlink settings - no difference.

So maybe if there's still anyone out there with a similar setup, they can shed some light for both of us.
Hello TV123,
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, I had also tried to get the HDMI function to work, by connecting only the MDR535H's HDMI output to the TV. It made no difference. Everything remained as posted originally - no signal output was ever detected by the TV and the HDMI button was still dead. I noticed upon reading a previous post # 11 from 7558037 Guest, that you can have more than one output connected to the same TV and the Magnavox units will still work normally. Essentially, the HDMI functions on my unit are all dead. It could be a factory defect, as I never tried to setup or use the HDMI feature until now. I would like to have been able to use the MDR535H's HDMI because my vision is poor. I do notice the picture quality difference when using the MDR535H's "component" output for playback, vs the HD picture quality of other (HDMI) connected devices that I have, such as my 1080i ROKU player and my BluRay player. Please forgive things I might be doing wrong when posting. I'm 68 years old, and I've never posted to a forum like this for help before.
Thank you all for your kind and helpful replies,
Sincerely,
Dennis
post #27970 of 27974 Old 06-14-2019, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I agree that your HDMI output is dead, likely for quite some time if not since new. Any new electronic device should be fully tested within the free return period to avoid surprises such as this.

There is a slim possibility that there is a solution. These units were manufacturers using electrolytic capacitors marginally spec'd to task. If any of them outright failed, any kind of failure is a possible result. I've had cap failures in two of my 5 units. I replaced the bad ones myself. Visit badcaps.net to learn how to recognize obvious failures and/or perform self repairs. Of my 5, all are currently fully functional except for the DVD drive in my oldest, which sounds like a mechanical failure (clunking continuously if any disc is inserted).

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #27971 of 27974 Old 06-14-2019, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS NOVAK View Post
Hello TV123,
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, I had also tried to get the HDMI function to work, by connecting only the MDR535H's HDMI output to the TV. It made no difference. Everything remained as posted originally - no signal output was ever detected by the TV and the HDMI button was still dead. I noticed upon reading a previous post # 11 from 7558037 Guest, that you can have more than one output connected to the same TV and the Magnavox units will still work normally. Essentially, the HDMI functions on my unit are all dead. It could be a factory defect, as I never tried to setup or use the HDMI feature until now. I would like to have been able to use the MDR535H's HDMI because my vision is poor. I do notice the picture quality difference when using the MDR535H's "component" output for playback, vs the HD picture quality of other (HDMI) connected devices that I have, such as my 1080i ROKU player and my BluRay player. Please forgive things I might be doing wrong when posting. I'm 68 years old, and I've never posted to a forum like this for help before.
Thank you all for your kind and helpful replies,
Sincerely,
Dennis
The only other thing I can think of to verify that the HDMI output is indeed dead - do you have access to another tv with an HDMI input? Maybe a friend or neighbor has a small one they could bring over? If you hook that up to the Magnavox and you do get a signal, that would tell you the Mag is not the issue (or not the whole issue).

Having said that, I'm not sure you'll see too big a difference between the component and HDMI connections anyway. The Mag only records in standard def, so even with the best connection to the tv, it isn't going to compare to high def like you're seeing from the BluRay player.
post #27972 of 27974 Old 06-16-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV123 View Post
The only other thing I can think of to verify that the HDMI output is indeed dead - do you have access to another tv with an HDMI input? Maybe a friend or neighbor has a small one they could bring over? If you hook that up to the Magnavox and you do get a signal, that would tell you the Mag is not the issue (or not the whole issue).

Having said that, I'm not sure you'll see too big a difference between the component and HDMI connections anyway. The Mag only records in standard def, so even with the best connection to the tv, it isn't going to compare to high def like you're seeing from the BluRay player.
Hello TV123,
Thank you very much for your reply. I double checked the owner's manual and you are 100% correct. This machine does not record in HD - it downgrades all input signal sources to standard definition, 480i. I was completely mistaken when I originally read (misread) the manual. I really appreciate your pointing this out for me. I can now continue using the machine's component hookup without feeling that I'm missing out on HD quality playback.
My sincere thanks to you and to everyone who offered suggestions and solutions. This is a wonderful and unique forum. I will look to it in the future for answers to other electronic problems.
Sincerely,
Dennis
TV123 likes this.
post #27973 of 27974 Old 07-11-2019, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Magnavox H2080MW8 was just verified to work under IsoBuster, recordings readable by their original Title and dates that appear in the Title Lister of the recorder.

They export from the recorder over a USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 hdd bridge to a Windows PC running XP, W7, W10 and MacOS or Linux.

That covers just about all of the Mag recorders in the titles of this thread, except for the 2160A (but the 2160 "no A" has been verified to work).

I've had a request to obtain and test a Philips HDR 3500, and have one on the way.. but after that, the well runs dry. All of the Toshiba DVRs, all of the Pioneer DRVs and all of the Panasonic DVRs that were sold in North America have been tested. I have not personally tested any of the Sony DVRs but reports from Europe are that the Sony models based on the Pioneers work just like the Pioneers when it comes to reading their hard drives in a PC.

Its been a long time since I bothered testing the DVD burners in any of these models.. not needing "blank" media or a chunk of time to edit the video and fit it to disc has been nice.

Since Verbatim DVD media is basically retired.. or being re-imagined by the new owners. I've been thinking since the files are known to be exportable now to a PC at the highest speed of the drive.

Maybe its best to leave the video on the hard drives and export a recording list with the hard drive serial number.. and collect those like a searchable catalog on your PC. I think at this point I've a procedure worked out to replace every hard drive in every model with a different one.. not Upgrade mind you to larger capacity.. thats a different task many other people have tackled.. but just swap out and return the recorder to normal use.

The hard drive serial number is already printed on the outside of the "video" drive and sometimes even barcoded. Then when you need a particular recording.. you can quickly search which drive its on in your catalog, and pull the drive off the shelf, then use IsoBuster to export it to your PC.

Storing big videos files on the same hard drive as PC data tends to take up a lot of space and requires on the spot decision making.. its much easier to just save everything and treat a DVD recorder hard drive like a Big VHS tape cassette. Its not archival quality.. but we don't archive everything really.. I mean 20 year old VHS tapes? We get around to it when we can.

Blue boxes for video drives, Red boxes for data drives?

Last edited by jwillis84; 07-12-2019 at 12:40 AM.
post #27974 of 27974 Old 07-13-2019, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 38
A note on Cataloging "video drives" with IsoBuster 4.4

The author of IsoBuster informed me its (already) a feature in the product. There is a rich command line reporting language built in. It can be automated by script or accessed by using the GUI interface to collect and export a list of the the drive and its contents.

There is not a tutorial on how to do this (yet) but it could be written. Several webpages describing the command language and how to use use it are already online.

.. scooped again.

IsoBuster has been developed for a very long time, since before DVD recorders even existed, so it has accumulated many features. Its not just a one trick tool.

I've used it for exploring hard drives, making raw disk images of hard drives, and restoring those images to different drives, or extracting and replacing specific sectors from a hard drive. It understands many file systems that people tend to collect different "device drivers" to try and understand. But IsoBuster simply understands hundreds by itself without a separate device driver.

It uses windows, but it does not depend on the file system support built into Windows. It looks at hard drives as a bit bucket and can inspect them as 2K, 512 or many other types of bytes per sector low level formats.

IsoBuster can also created image level backups of hard drives and then open those raw disk images as if they were physical devices and treats them exactly the same. And these are "real" raw disk images, not some proprietary compressed format. Other tools that use raw disk images can use them too.. so its infinitely flexible in that if you make images with it and then need to use a specific inspection tool for forensics or other reasons.. there is nothing in your way to stop you.

And it does have forensic features I do not understand compliant with many other agencies.. its simply way over provisioned for simple DVD recorder file extraction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page