Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 934 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1019Likes

post #27991 of 27999 Old 11-03-2019, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Its very interesting people keep discovering these old recorders as late as 2019.

Some perspective though.

Verbatim just sold all its DVD and Blu-ray assets to CMC and CMC is practically the "last" maker of any DVD media in the world now. All of the brands are belong to them. Re-labeling the same media under the old brand names to sell the same media at different price tiers is common practice now. The legacy media being cleaned out at Newegg and through eBay will not last more than a few years.. and then its all gone. Except whatever CMS produces for the PC market. Even Blu-ray is on the way out.. its just too darned small for todays data.

I've been thinking long and hard and it looks like near term HDD will be the bridge media until something else comes along.. and it generally doesn't do well sitting static on a shelf. You have to turn it over.. or copy it from one drive to another.. like we used to do with tapes.. grandfather son style. People don't like to do that.. they want a magical unicorn to keep all their data safe.. with promises they will last 100 years.. even though that has been thoroughly debunked over and over again. Its more like less than 10 years.. likely less than 5 even under optimum conditions.. but people never do a thorough inventory. With error correction however even a rotted DVD can still playback.. and it will degrade slower than VHS tape overall.

Something else to watch out for is Electrolytic caps in the power supplies were never projected to last longer than 5-7 years tops.. so even in the relatively new Magnavox's their expiration date is fast approaching.. then their power supplies will need to be re-built or re-capped.. or the units will be dead. We've a lot of experience with this in other brands. And its unrelated to the big "Cap Scandal" of 2004-2005.. caps simply wear out.. even (and especially) sitting on a shelf unused.. or in the back of the closet. Its their nature. Un-powered they de-polarize.. or forget their polarity and pop when they are re-energized after a long slumber.

And not to get all doomy and gloomy here.. but when the media goes single source and the drive makers exit the market.. the time is ripe for the format to be retired. All that burned media on DVDs will become unreadable if the Optical drives are no longer made.. as unreadable as a VHS tape without a VCR. I think that time is very near.. if you have a favorite brand of optical drive.. consider buying a few extra. They aren't going to be coming out with Blu-ray 2.0 for the PC anytime soon. In fact most PC cases don't even have 5.25 drive bays anymore.. those used to be for 5.25 Floppy drives.. if optical drives go away.. there is no need for them. And manufacturers are already removing those drive bays. Optical media to them is already dead.

Last edited by jwillis84; 11-03-2019 at 12:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27992 of 27999 Old 11-03-2019, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTanks View Post
Sorry couldnt find the edit:
"One of these players" = Its the H2160MW9A, E2S00UD, BE version: HD6A269704H1E
Post 6927, https://www.avsforum.com/forum/106-d...l#post17340385 has links to all firmware. 727V was the last I think.
post #27993 of 27999 Old 11-03-2019, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
"vBulletin Message
Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

I went thru and clicked almost every link, looks like 1 works but its not the 727v super FW and whatever the file attached at the end of the post is works too. Everything else still gives the above message.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27994 of 27999 Old 11-03-2019, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillis84 View Post
Its very interesting people keep discovering these old recorders as late as 2019.

Some perspective though.

Verbatim just sold all its DVD and Blu-ray assets to CMC and CMC is practically the "last" maker of any DVD media in the world now. All of the brands are belong to them. Re-labeling the same media under the old brand names to sell the same media at different price tiers is common practice now. The legacy media being cleaned out at Newegg and through eBay will not last more than a few years.. and then its all gone. Except whatever CMS produces for the PC market. Even Blu-ray is on the way out.. its just too darned small for todays data.

I've been thinking long and hard and it looks like near term HDD will be the bridge media until something else comes along.. and it generally doesn't do well sitting static on a shelf. You have to turn it over.. or copy it from one drive to another.. like we used to do with tapes.. grandfather son style. People don't like to do that.. they want a magical unicorn to keep all their data safe.. with promises they will last 100 years.. even though that has been thoroughly debunked over and over again. Its more like less than 10 years.. likely less than 5 even under optimum conditions.. but people never do a thorough inventory. With error correction however even a rotted DVD can still playback.. and it will degrade slower than VHS tape overall.

Something else to watch out for is Electrolytic caps in the power supplies were never projected to last longer than 5-7 years tops.. so even in the relatively new Magnavox's their expiration date is fast approaching.. then their power supplies will need to be re-built or re-capped.. or the units will be dead. We've a lot of experience with this in other brands. And its unrelated to the big "Cap Scandal" of 2004-2005.. caps simply wear out.. even (and especially) sitting on a shelf unused.. or in the back of the closet. Its their nature. Un-powered they de-polarize.. or forget their polarity and pop when they are re-energized after a long slumber.

And not to get all doomy and gloomy here.. but when the media goes single source and the drive makers exit the market.. the time is ripe for the format to be retired. All that burned media on DVDs will become unreadable if the Optical drives are no longer made.. as unreadable as a VHS tape without a VCR. I think that time is very near.. if you have a favorite brand of optical drive.. consider buying a few extra. They aren't going to be coming out with Blu-ray 2.0 for the PC anytime soon. In fact most PC cases don't even have 5.25 drive bays anymore.. those used to be for 5.25 Floppy drives.. if optical drives go away.. there is no need for them. And manufacturers are already removing those drive bays. Optical media to them is already dead.
Its even worse now though man, everything is built with "artificial" obsolescence in mind. I have a relative who goes through a blu ray player every few months (heat) but its beyond a joke they dont build stuff to last beyond warranty periods anymore.
post #27995 of 27999 Old 11-03-2019, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 49
The electrical grid may have a lot to do with that.

Its like the road system, only built long before the 1960's. Unless you live where there there is Hydroelectric power to smooth out the grid its highly variable. And even then the transmission lines are getting much worse... so much they are shutting them off in CA to prevent fires.. but I guess that's old news now.

Surge protectors and power conditioners and ups backups can help.. but they still need to get their power from the same old grid. Its bad.. and getting worse. You could go totally solar and battery.. but most people won't invest in that. Heck the power company investors are pulling as much value out of the grid system as possible and not putting anything back in for the long term. Everyone is an island these days.

Anyhoo.. the built-in obsolescence.. may have a lot more to do with our crumbling infrastructure than the devices we risk attaching to the mains.
artisticimaging likes this.
post #27996 of 27999 Old 11-03-2019, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I just tried to upload SuperFW 727V HD6A269727V1E.zip, but the uploader claims its 3662846 bytes exceeds the 976.6KB limit for file type .zip.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #27997 of 27999 Old 11-09-2019, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought a H2160MW9A in May 2018 (I still have a 535 that I bought new in 2012). I dug around at that time, and did find a working link for the SuperFW update. The link still works! See below!

I also installed a 500 GB hard drive that I bought used on ebay for around $10. This site has been a great resource for me and factored in to my original purchase in 2012.

Edit - I do not have any posts (you need 5 post to do so), so I can't post the actual link. I had to chop off the first part of the link.

funaiservice.com/Information/firmware/H2160MW9A
post #27998 of 27999 Old 11-09-2019, 08:05 AM

Please note the link I just posted is for 727V HD6A269727H1E.zip , not the V1E file. Still, it makes a 2160A work like a 513 and adds the skip function to the timer recordings.
post #27999 of 27999 Old 11-09-2019, 08:12 AM

Well, I learned something today! I got the 727V HD6A269727V1E link to work by guessing on the name of the correct folder. I guess have some updating to do to my firmware.

funaiservice.com/Information/firmware/MDR515H_F7/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner