Opinions wanted: LG BH7440P Bluray 5.1 System - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 11-03-2014, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Opinions wanted: LG BH7440P Bluray 5.1 System

I realize that this thread must be the black sheep of AVS forums but unfortunately it's the one that suits this subject.

The story is this.. I have just purchased a projector which will be installed in a new apartment and it's now time to settle the audio to start enjoying all the A/V goodness. Unfortunately a small fortune has already been spent on furniture and what not so the remaining budget is limited to around 250-350€. Audio enthusiasts must be rolling there eyes at this point but I'll just have to make do with that.

Anyway, separate receiver & speakers are unfortunately out of the question as any decent solution would cost upwards of 500€. I am down to all-in-one solutions then, and I have found a limited time offer for the aforementioned system (LG BH7440P) which just about clears the budget. Unfortunately, decent reviews are nowhere to be found. I've swept google, amazon and a few more internet sources with very poor results.

Any opinion on the subject is welcome including LG's similar but older Home Cinema systems, as this unit is somewhat new and untested. On a side note, receiver & speakers are the priority but I could do without a bluray player as a PS3 could double as a player at least for the beginning. Also front tower speakers are preferred but not mandatory and finally I need to be able to listen to decent quality music without reaching audiophile expectations.

LG's web page:
http://www.lg.com/uk/home-cinema-systems/lg-BH7440P

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 11-03-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3520 Post(s)
Liked: 2540
If it were me, I'd look at a HTiB system that wasn't integrated. In other words, it did not have a built-in blu-ray player. The reason being is that quite often the sub-woofer is passive, meaning it derives its power from the receiver/blu-ray so the bass response is not as good. An active sub-woofer has it's own amplifier so the bass response is much better and fuller, even if it only has an 8" driver. If the blu-ray player ever develops problems, you've lost half of your system. Also, the number of connections (HDMI) may be limited in number and function because of the blu-ray player. Integrated blu-ray players may not be as robust as a standalone player. You can pick up very good blu-ray players for around $200 USD or less. Lastly, the speaker connectors may be proprietary meaning that it will be difficult to upgrade the speakers should you want to in the future. Most people keep their receivers longer than the speakers but in an integrated system, you're stuck. Yamaha, Onkyo, and Denon make some very decent entry level HTiB's that aren't integrated.
post #3 of 28 Old 11-03-2014, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Many thanks for the input. To be honest, I am a big fan of separates and I can see how all these points you mention are valid. That said, unlike most all-in-ones that I've seen, this one does not feature proprietary connections in the back which for me is important as I'd hate throwing the whole system away just because a component stops working. In this case thankfully that doesn't seem to apply (regular bare wire connections are used). Also 2 HDMIs are present so it's tight but still ok as the receiver is also the player and there's 2 more for PS3 and PC. I'd like an extra one for a possible TV tuner update in the future but I can do without it as well as I hardly ever watch TV.

My main worry is how good or bad bang for the buck this is in terms of sound quality. I expect I won't be having many complaints with movie watching as I'm coming from an old custom-put-together 2.1 system. But even comparing to my ancient Yamaha hi-fi with 3-way mdf bookshelf speakers, I'm afraid that I'd be taking a step down in music sound quality. How much of a step down this will be, I have no idea.. An audition is not an option either as this unit is still too new to have hit the selves in my area. Tough luck ehh..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 11-03-2014, 12:17 PM

If it's that new with no reviews, and you can't "audition" it personally, I'd pass. Besides, it's still an integrated system so you may still be limited in what you can do spec-wise.
post #5 of 28 Old 11-06-2014, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, it sounds like a gamble indeed. Decisions, decisions..
post #6 of 28 Old 11-15-2014, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Chris,

Me too thinking about the same. How has your experience been? Are you able to get 5.1 surround from the projector or u r getting sound from the TV box?

Many thanks.

Cheers.

Mandeep
post #7 of 28 Old 11-17-2014, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfoodie View Post
Hi Chris,

Me too thinking about the same. How has your experience been? Are you able to get 5.1 surround from the projector or u r getting sound from the TV box?

Many thanks.

Cheers.

Mandeep
Hey Mandeep,
I will probably be receiving the sound system at some point during this week. I finally saw them up close a week ago and they didn't sound too bad (albeit in a noisy store environment). Plus a couple more reviews gave me some extra confidence. I am planning to route the sound from the PC through optical fiber while PS3 will be connected to the projector through the receiver (HDMI pass through) so in either case there should be no problem with outputting 5.1 surround to the sound system.

As far as I know, the Benq W1070 features 1.4 hdmi inputs with audio return, so even if you connect your TV box directly to the projector, you should be able to send the sound back to the sound system if you so choose. I'll know more as soon as I install it though.

Cheers
post #8 of 28 Old 11-17-2014, 09:18 AM

ARC only works if both devices are ARC capable. HDMI 1.4 doesn't automatically mean the device is ARC capable. And, the best ARC can do is 5.1. You won't be able to send HD audio (DTS-MA, Dolby TrueHD, etc).
post #9 of 28 Old 11-18-2014, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

I double checked and it seems that the Benq W1070 does not feature ARC. However, that's not a huge problem in my case, and probably most cases in general. ARC is more useful in devices that are used for both sound and image output, and furthermore, in cases that the sound is originating from this device (TV's have built in TV tuners for image and sound). In a projector, this would not make much sense since it's -in most cases- a video device. The W1070 does feature an integrated speaker but it's mostly there for emergencies rather than regular use (it's not that bad though for a built in speaker).

The LG BH7440P does feature ARC according to the description but I doubt i'll be using that at all since the sound will be sourced through HDMI or TOSlink directly to the receiver.
post #10 of 28 Old 11-18-2014, 10:29 AM

Yeah, I use the ARC-labeled HDMI inputs but don't enable ARC so they are just "regular" HMDI inputs.
post #11 of 28 Old 11-29-2014, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Im using the 7540tw which is the same as what you got, with minor difference, and i can say its an awesome kit for the price. Using it with a fireTV and xbmc,passthrough dts and ac3 works well and movies are VERY enjoyable. Htibs have come a long way,and this one certainly proves my point. For music however,it's only so-so mostly because of the sub,which is just a simple ported sub which barely weighs anything lol. But for movies,im honestly satisfied with it.

It even has miracast, bluetooth and netflix which i use very frequently, and they all work well.

All i hope now is that they work for 3 years at the very least

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
post #12 of 28 Old 12-04-2014, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. The 7540tw should have rear tower speakers (just like the fronts) which are wireless. That's the system that I saw at the store actually. I finally went for it -the 7440p- and so far I haven't regretted it. I'll have to agree with you, they are doing really good in movies. Besides the bluray, I have it hooked up to the PC through optical fiber and it works well. The problem with this setup is that optical cannot handle lossless 5.1/7.1 formats (in case you have them) but DTS Interactive 5.1 works fine. Storing lossless 5.1+ sound on the PC is kind of rare, but it's good to know just in case.

As far as music goes, I can feel that there is room for improvement, but aside from that I am pretty happy with it. As you said, the sub is most probably the weakest performer. FLACs sound great and the fact that I can hear a difference between them and some mp3s might mean something (might not as well).

In terms of power I have not yet tried to turn it up to max volume (or anywhere near), I've gotten to around 1/3 (through optical, bluray should sound even louder) which is more than I can/will use most of the time. No noticeable distortion at this level.
What's left to check is whether it can playback audio/video through network (NAS/PC). I've only recently had ethernet cables installed in the house. I'm not sure that I'll be using Miracast, but bluetooth worked well when tested.
Let's hope it does work well for years to come
post #13 of 28 Old 12-12-2014, 01:26 AM

Nice to hear that you like it!! In case you ever want lossless audio from your pc,you could always connect a hdmi cable from your gpu to the blu ray,but of course,as you said,lossless audio from a pc is rare,unless you're using it as an htpc.
I cant listen to lossless audio thru hdmi as im using the fireTV as my media player,and android does not natively support HD audio passthrough...sigh

But the speaker system itself has been holding up well for about 5 months of intense usage (10 hours average per day) but we will have to see how it goes.

Btw,do you have an android mobile device? Can you try installing the LG AV Remote and see whether it detects the system? For me,only the ios version sees the system,and the android app does not.

post #14 of 28 Old 12-13-2014, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you Chris for your first impressions.
I am also deciding to buy the LG BH7440P Bluray 5.1 System, although I first wanted to buy just computer speakers Logitech 5.1 Z906 THX and hook them up to TV with optical audio cable and let all input signals (TV provider, USB disk, Xbox and network hard drive), but I figured that my 2 year old LG TV does not support DTS sound.
So the next set I set my eyes on was LG BH7440P and now I am asking if you can answer some of my questions:

1. Where did you find reviews of BH7440P?

2. Did you try to play movies or a flac songs from NAS device (DLNA) connected to ethernet port of BH7440P?
Did you try to play movies or a flac songs from external USB disk connected to USB port of BH7440P?
How is the user interface and does it recongnize all formats of movies (that are listed in Manual)?

3. How is the sound quality of the central and rear speakers?
How are the bases?

4. Can you mount the rear speakers to a wall and how long are the cables?

I am really looking forward to buy the set if I get some more confirmations that the quality and features are good.
post #15 of 28 Old 12-20-2014, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

ars92, yes I could connect the PC to the receiver through HDMI instead of optical to enjoy lossless 5.1 streams but I do not see that happening any time soon as it's hard to come by such streams in the PC. What I have not looked into, is the way the signal is being further compressed and/or decompressed until it reaches the speakers.

i.e. In case I was playing a lossless 5.1 stream through HDMI, it should never have to compress or decompress before it eventually reached the receivers' DAC (and eventually the speakers). So in this case the signal would have the least amount of processing.
Now if I have a lossy DTS 5.1 stream (or Dolby) which reaches the receiver through optical fiber, the lossy stream would have to be fitted/recoded into DTS Interactive (from my sound card) to be sent off from the PC and as soon as it reached the receiver it would either be recognized as is and be sent into the DAC or it would have to be decompressed or upscaled to another form of 5.1 DTS before it reaches the DAC.

If the latter is correct it would mean that the optical route might introduce further processing which is usually best avoided. Of course, since we are talking about a stream that's lossy to begin with, this prospective drop in quality might be unnoticeable if it even exists in the first place. More of a thought rather than a concern.

No android here at all unfortunately (what are the chances..), I'm using Blackberry so no easy way to check this right now but I might get a chance in the future and if I do, I'll be sure to report back. For what it's worth, I can vaguely recall reading a review/complaint about the android remote app but I can't really remember whether it was being commented as complicated/glitchy or non functional.

Tomiklan, sorry for taking this long to respond but I'll try to help in case you're still considering this system.

If you are planning to use the TV as the main hub for multimedia, and it cannot pass through DTS or Dolby Digital streams, the Logitech Z906 would not be much help indeed. In case you did find a way to route the audio to the Z906 without having it go through the TV, you could make it work though.

Anyhow, not too long ago I was considering the Z906 but apart from its insane RMS wattage being way higher than the LG's, there is not much else I can compare or comment between the two. Your neighbours would prolly prefer the LG BH7440P

1. Reviews were a PITA, since the product is still kind of new in the market. Plenty of Googling including the dark side of Google a.k.a results past page 1. You can get some reviews in LG's website (also #1 in search results) and also the German amazon.de where you'll need to translate the reviews and then try to make sense. Best case scenario is to audition the system in an electronics store.

2. I cannot really comment on this one yet since I have not spent much time tweaking and testing the system. I am sourcing everything either through HDMI or optical, both of which are pretty much PnP, which is good as I don't need to operate the projector to listen to music from the PC. Streaming audio/video from the LAN appears to be an option but it requires a bit of setting up which I haven't bothered with so far. USB/FLAC playback: never tried it, but I’d be amazed if this didn't work. I'm pretty sure it's on the brochure. I’d really like it if the remote had dedicated buttons for the different inputs (HDMI-1, HDMI-2, TOSlink, FM, etc). Now I need to jump from one input to the next until I get the one I want or go through the interface which requires switching the TV/projector on.

3. Center & rear speakers no worries whatsoever. The central sounds crisp enough for my liking. The low frequencies (sub performance) is probably the easiest way to tell that this is not a system that's worth $1000. I am not an expert in audio so I’m really reluctant in passing judgment on audio equipment. That said, what I appreciate in good audio playback is not being able to tell apart the different frequencies -where the lows, mids & highs start and finish- but being able to hear and feel the presence of all of them. With the BH7440P I feel like the low frequencies are isolated. They kind of stand out which for me is not ideal. Keep in mind though that I have not done much if any tweaking or testing with the system so far and that this is a 5.1 system. I would expect that no 5.1 system will ever perform as well as a pair of full range tower speakers. That said, FLACs sound very enjoyable.

4. The rears do have mounting holes. The cables look to be long but I haven't measured them. In the following days I will have to properly run the cables through raceways which will give a pretty good estimate about their length.

I'll try to keep an eye on here so if anything else comes up, feel free to ask.

Update: Rear speaker cable length is about 10m

Last edited by Chris01; 12-30-2014 at 06:27 AM.
post #16 of 28 Old 12-31-2014, 12:14 AM

Liked: 10
Anyone else have experience with this system or find any new reviews?

Thinking about picking it up at the boxing week price $350 CDN. It blows away all the soundbars I listened to in the $200-$300 range, and there's just no way I can stretch up to getting a receiver and even the cheapest pair of tower speakers right now. Option B would be the $299 CDN Samsung equivalent.
post #17 of 28 Old 05-29-2015, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Hi all,

I'm an owner of a Yamaha RX-V675 paired with Monitor Audio Vector 5.1 Speakers, not a very good experience. I had both a Sony BDV-E3100 (this was terrible, weak sound even when you max it, just pathetic) and LG BH6220S system previous to that, which was absolutely great. You may be thinking why did I even change, thing is I replaced everything in the room TV, Sofa, Stand ect.. and so I wanted a new system to go with everything, that's why I opted to sell the LG and go with separates Yamaha+MA Vectors. The sound just isn't as 'big' as you get with these All In One systems, I regret selling that LG but ah well.

I'm planning to sell off all my separates kit now and will move back to an All In One system, I won't faff around with other brands, will just go with what I've had good experience with and that's LG.

I'm currently looking at the LG BH7440P and LG BH7240B, I think I'm right in saying everything about these two are exactly the same, except from one has x4 Small speakers and the other has x2 Tallboy fronts. Apart from that, specs, sound quality, compatibility is all the same?

I have a Sony KDL50W829 50" TV, it's superb, the best telly I've had in ages, it's been a massive disappointment having to pair it with the Home Cinema systems I've had.

Is everyone that's got the BH7440P or BH7240B satisfied? I've had an LG, I don't think I'll be disappointed, I will be using it for mainly Blu-Ray's from an external USB drive that served the purpose well with my previous LG. I want a new system potentially one of these before the Furious 7 Blu-Ray comes out.

With the older BH6220S I had, I wasn't able to turn the volume to the max which I was very satisfied with meaning near to full was enough for me, how far has anyone been with there's?
post #18 of 28 Old 05-29-2015, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Can anyone confirm for me that either BH7440P or BH7240B have rear Wireless Cabling?

This is just random from Google, have a look below, it might be for a different product.

http://ipug.tv/wp-content/uploads/rear.jpg
post #19 of 28 Old 05-30-2015, 02:19 PM

There's an output labeled Wireless so it looks like a connector for a transceiver may fit in there for your side channels. Your speaker connectors, at least the sub, look proprietary so you'll be stuck with what ever speakers come with your system. The LG is a passive system, in that the sub derives its power from the blu-ray player so you won't get the deep clear bass frequencies that you would if it was an active sub. I'm surprised you had trouble with the Yamaha. My guess is that the speaker pair-up was the issue and not the receiver.
post #20 of 28 Old 06-07-2015, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNZi View Post
Hi all,

I'm an owner of a Yamaha RX-V675 paired with Monitor Audio Vector 5.1 Speakers, not a very good experience. I had both a Sony BDV-E3100 (this was terrible, weak sound even when you max it, just pathetic) and LG BH6220S system previous to that, which was absolutely great. You may be thinking why did I even change, thing is I replaced everything in the room TV, Sofa, Stand ect.. and so I wanted a new system to go with everything, that's why I opted to sell the LG and go with separates Yamaha+MA Vectors. The sound just isn't as 'big' as you get with these All In One systems, I regret selling that LG but ah well.

I'm planning to sell off all my separates kit now and will move back to an All In One system, I won't faff around with other brands, will just go with what I've had good experience with and that's LG.

I'm currently looking at the LG BH7440P and LG BH7240B, I think I'm right in saying everything about these two are exactly the same, except from one has x4 Small speakers and the other has x2 Tallboy fronts. Apart from that, specs, sound quality, compatibility is all the same?

I have a Sony KDL50W829 50" TV, it's superb, the best telly I've had in ages, it's been a massive disappointment having to pair it with the Home Cinema systems I've had.

Is everyone that's got the BH7440P or BH7240B satisfied? I've had an LG, I don't think I'll be disappointed, I will be using it for mainly Blu-Ray's from an external USB drive that served the purpose well with my previous LG. I want a new system potentially one of these before the Furious 7 Blu-Ray comes out.

With the older BH6220S I had, I wasn't able to turn the volume to the max which I was very satisfied with meaning near to full was enough for me, how far has anyone been with there's?
Im currently using the 7440p (named 7540tw in my country) for a year now and its still as awesome as the first day i got it

Like I said before, its used for about 10 hours minimum each day, and seems to be just fine till today. Sound is awesome enough that its hard to hate it unless you're a purist. But seriously,just watched kingsman yesterday and it was a blast!!and the wireless rear speaker doesn't have any delay whatsoever so its perfectly good and reliable. I just hope it at least for another two years if not longer because i still cant believe sich a cheap system can perform this well lol.

post #21 of 28 Old 07-21-2015, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

The picture that you have is from another product. When it comes to BH7440P it does not have wireless, it's one of the first things I checked before buying. There are similar models with wireless rear speakers (watch out for the letter W somewhere at the end of the product number i.e. LHB755W, BH7540tw).

I haven't gone over the 2/3rds of the maximum volume, so I'm happy with power in my surroundings (small-medium sized living room).

Edit: Also note that the wireless version(s) of the 7440P feature only Tallboy speakers (fronts and rears), so there will be no compact rears in the wireless version.

Last edited by Chris01; 07-21-2015 at 04:57 PM.
post #22 of 28 Old 08-03-2015, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everybody,

I'm thinking of buying the same home cinema system (LG BH7440P) and I have the following questions.

1) Kind of a newbie question since I don't have any experience in home cinema systems. If I have a stereo source (not 5.1) will the sound play in all speakers and not just the front 2 speakers?

2) Do you know if the system supports surround sound in LPCM 5.1 format? Basically I want to connect a Wii U which can only play surround sound in LPCM format. It doesn't support Dolby surround or any other format.

3) Let's say that I want to play a movie from a USB device. Is it better to connect the USB device to my TV or to the LG home cinema system? I think I read somewhere that the video quality will be better if I connect the USB device directly to the TV than connecting it to the home cinema system. That's because the video doesn't have to be encoded to pass through the HDMI cable. Is that true? Have anyone tested that?

Will appreciate a response to any of these questions
post #23 of 28 Old 08-15-2015, 01:17 AM

1)you can change the audio settings to something called 3d mode which basically upmixes stereo sources.

2)LPCM worked when i was playing around with audio settings on my NAS running kodi. PCM worked too of course.

3)its hard to say whether there are any quality difference playing on my plasma or from the blu ray player but one thing i can say is that subtitles looked horrible when i played the movie using the lg player, so there's that.

post #24 of 28 Old 09-15-2015, 02:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 86
My apologies for resurrecting an old thread but I thought I would add my SEK 0.02 since I just got my BH7240BW and have been using it for a week or so.

The BH7240BW is the unit with table standing front and "wireless" rear speakers. I would have preferred the floor standing front speakers, but the layout of the room in question simply will not accommodate those. On the other hand the rear speakers have to be floor standing so that meant getting some stands for the rears.

I paid the equivalent of about 300 euros for it. Now this clearly falls into the category of cheap, to be frowned upon by audiophiles, integrated systems. But I am simply amazed by how LG can pack so much value into something this cheap. As long as one does not lift the speakers, and thereby discover the incredible lightness and cheapness of their feel, one could easily get the impression that this system could have cost much much more.

We have it connected to the family's 2nd TV which is used mostly for casual viewing and for that type of use case it is, again, amazing bang for the buck.

Because it was mentioned before in the thread, I should add that you will not get high resolution audio from devices connected to the HDMI inputs. You will only get HD audio from blu-ray playback.
I am using an HTPC as my single input source, and the HDMI handshake clearly indicates the LG will only take the lossy codecs on its HDMI inputs. Not that this system is in a category where you would be able to hear any difference anyway. I can not hear a difference on my main home theater system, which certainly has the capability to produce one, despite having very good hearing.

The only thing I have found which really sucks is the general build of the speakers. They look pretty good and the audio quality is much higher than the price would suggest, but I find it very difficult to convince myself that something so light and flimsy could belong anywhere other than the bin. But of course they are not made to be handled, they should be listened to.

My major gripe with the speakers is about placement and mounting. Because they are so light, they will be knocked over by draft from an open window, so I had to use some self-adhesive lead weights used for balancing car wheels, which I attached to the bottom of the speakers in order for the front and center speakers not to be knocked over or moved all the time.

I have found it impossible to find a pair of stands for the rear speakers which will work without major MacGyvering. They are too light to be placed on stands with a horizontal mounting plate unless I use super glue or double sided tape, both of which are going to end up looking like a kludge. And there are no threaded holes, just a keyhole, which may be ok for hanging on the wall but will not make a secure mount to a stand.

So I decided to replace the rear speakers with a pair of Harman Kardon HKTS 16 satellites with integrated stands which I got off of ebay. They look great and will most likely sound better than the LGs. They are 8 ohms so I will probably get less than half of the advertised 194 watts from the LG but that should not be an issue as they are very close to the listening position.

At the end of the day, I can heartily recommend this LG system for casual viewing to anyone who needs something on a budget, especially if you can get it on sale or as close out.

Last edited by politby; 09-15-2015 at 03:00 AM.
post #25 of 28 Old 06-08-2018, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post
Because it was mentioned before in the thread, I should add that you will not get high resolution audio from devices connected to the HDMI inputs. You will only get HD audio from blu-ray playback.
I am using an HTPC as my single input source, and the HDMI handshake clearly indicates the LG will only take the lossy codecs on its HDMI inputs.

Old thread I know, but one of the few that shows up in google.

Been using the system for over 3 years now and it definitely was a good purchase for the budget I had. Sound is tight, bass has some kick, obviously lacking in the mid range as any small speaker setup will be.

Recently I bought an nvidia shield TV as I got tired of the limitation of using the built in DLNA player for media playback (no true-hd in mkv, no pgs subtitles, no subtitles at all for .m2ts, file based browsing instead of fancy gui like plex/kodi). It will be going back to the store unfortunately. As the above poster pointed out, despite the box supporting DD+, DTS-HD MA and True-HD the HDMI input does not. It will only take DD, DTS or PCM. I couldn't test it, but I'm betting it only takes 1080p as well despite the box supporting 4k upscaling for Bluray and DVD as the minimum HDMI spec that supports 4k also supports DD+, TrueHD and DTS-HD.

The lack of DD+ passthrough is a real killer for the Shield TV as Netflix, amazon and google movies all use that as their 5.1 sound format. Since nvidia is too cheap to buy a DD+ license for the box, DD+ can't be decoded and converted to DD, DTS or PCM so all you get from those apps is stereo sound.

Maybe I'll take the shield TV money and try to find a new receive that has a better DLNA player built in, only problem there is the sub doesn't use a regular connector like the other speakers so it probably has to be replaced as well.
post #26 of 28 Old 06-15-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hanson View Post

Been using the system for over 3 years now and it definitely was a good purchase for the budget I had. Sound is tight, bass has some kick, obviously lacking in the mid range as any small speaker setup will be.

Recently I bought an nvidia shield TV as I got tired of the limitation of using the built in DLNA player for media playback (no true-hd in mkv, no pgs subtitles, no subtitles at all for .m2ts, file based browsing instead of fancy gui like plex/kodi). It will be going back to the store unfortunately. As the above poster pointed out, despite the box supporting DD+, DTS-HD MA and True-HD the HDMI input does not. It will only take DD, DTS or PCM. I couldn't test it, but I'm betting it only takes 1080p as well despite the box supporting 4k upscaling for Bluray and DVD as the minimum HDMI spec that supports 4k also supports DD+, TrueHD and DTS-HD.

The lack of DD+ passthrough is a real killer for the Shield TV as Netflix, amazon and google movies all use that as their 5.1 sound format. Since nvidia is too cheap to buy a DD+ license for the box, DD+ can't be decoded and converted to DD, DTS or PCM so all you get from those apps is stereo sound.

Maybe I'll take the shield TV money and try to find a new receive that has a better DLNA player built in, only problem there is the sub doesn't use a regular connector like the other speakers so it probably has to be replaced as well.

Lol exact same issue here. Am using the 7540tw and although I love the damn thing I do have those exact limitations you have talked about with my shield.

And since it seems like HTiBs are pretty much dead from brands like LG and Samsung, once hdmi 2.1 comes out I’m definitely gonna have to go with separates.....only problem with that is I’ll lose the awesome wireless rear speakers capability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #27 of 28 Old 06-15-2018, 09:21 PM

So since the shield tv couldn't fix the HD audio + subtitle problem and I can't really afford receiver+sub+player right now, I found a software workaround for when you need subtitles with True HD or a DTS-HD MA track that doesn't work in .mkv as is.

At first I thought I'd just convert the TrueHD or DTS-HD MA to PCM and remux to mkv, but... stupid LG DLNA player doesn't play 24bit PCM properly in .mkv, only .m2ts. It's all static (but modulated static), which means its got some big/little endian issue. I can however use eac3to to convert to wav files, then re-encode to DTS-HD MA. Was thinking I'd have to downgrade HD audio to 16bit wav to make it work in mkv, but thankfully the DTS-HD MA re-encode worked even on existing DTS-HD MA tracks where only the DTS core was being played.

Bunch of manual work, on top of extracting the PGS subtitles and converting to sub/idx with vobsub, but at least it's a functioning workaround for the rare cases where subs are needed. When you don't need subs, just stick with .m2ts instead of .mkv and everything works.
post #28 of 28 Old 11-20-2018, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hanson View Post

Yes indeed!

I would like to replace the sub wires.. the problem for me is not the connector but the subwoofer as such! Any idea on how can be opened? Is it glued or what?

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page