AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Home Theater In A Box (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/109-home-theater-box/)
-   -   7.1 Surround Setup (Please help!) (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/109-home-theater-box/2918210-7-1-surround-setup-please-help.html)

DParadigm 09-09-2017 10:34 AM

7.1 Surround Setup (Please help!)

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

My current Surround Sound set up is 5.1.2, Two Towers, Center and Sub at the front, two surround in the back on ceiling right above couch and 2 in front ceiling set up as Height.

I bought a pair of Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 speakers to add to the surround to make it 7.1.2, but I can't decide where to place the new speakers.

Please see attached for my room configuration. I thought position 1 and 2 would be a good position to add surround but I am afraid it will look awkward because I don't know how to run wires in ceiling. So I have to run wire mold across the ceiling to hide wire. Position 3 and 4 would look clean but I am afraid I won't have much surround impact with 4 speakers so close to each other.

Where should I place these new speakers without compromising much on look versus sound. I know I can't have both with my room configuration :(

If position 3 and 4 are doable, I prefer that option. Then, should I set up the Definitive Technology as surround and the one in ceiling as back or vice versa?

Thanks in advance.

gajCA 09-11-2017 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DParadigm (Post 54770428)
Hello,

My current Surround Sound set up is 5.1.2, Two Towers, Center and Sub at the front, two surround in the back on ceiling right above couch and 2 in front ceiling set up as Height.

I bought a pair of Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 speakers to add to the surround to make it 7.1.2, but I can't decide where to place the new speakers.

Please see attached for my room configuration. I thought position 1 and 2 would be a good position to add surround but I am afraid it will look awkward because I don't know how to run wires in ceiling. So I have to run wire mold across the ceiling to hide wire. Position 3 and 4 would look clean but I am afraid I won't have much surround impact with 4 speakers so close to each other.

Where should I place these new speakers without compromising much on look versus sound. I know I can't have both with my room configuration :(

If position 3 and 4 are doable, I prefer that option. Then, should I set up the Definitive Technology as surround and the one in ceiling as back or vice versa?

Thanks in advance.

I'd go 5.1.4 using the rear in ceiling speakers as Atmos rears and the bookshelves mounted on shelves at least 2 feet above your ears when seated on flat shelves with the speakers pointed at the TV.

My rears are on the wall which my couch is up against set up like that and I used simple brackets from Home Depot and the shelves are ceramic floor tiles from Home Depot.

What receiver do you have?

DParadigm 09-11-2017 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gajCA (Post 54779326)
I'd go 5.1.4 using the rear in ceiling speakers as Atmos rears and the bookshelves mounted on shelves at least 2 feet above your ears when seated on flat shelves with the speakers pointed at the TV.

My rears are on the wall which my couch is up against set up like that and I used simple brackets from Home Depot and the shelves are ceramic floor tiles from Home Depot.

What receiver do you have?

Thank you. I have Anthem MRX 1120.

gajCA 09-11-2017 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DParadigm (Post 54779354)
Thank you. I have Anthem MRX 1120.

Wow, great receiver.

Congrats.

DParadigm 09-11-2017 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gajCA (Post 54779420)
Wow, great receiver.

Congrats.

Thank you.