AVS Forum banner

Onkyo atmos HTIB receiver freezes on LG OLED Arc

8K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  jasjw 
#1 ·
I have a 2016 OLED which worked totally fine with the receiver, i just got a 2018 OLED and connected it, using the arc hdmi port

When i do that the receiver is frozen, cant adjust volume, power button doesnt work, same with remote nothing works

I connected it to the non arc port and it functions normally

If i use the ps4 through the receiver same exact issue when its connected to the arc port

#2 ·
I have a 2016 OLED which worked totally fine with the receiver, i just got a 2018 OLED and connected it, using the arc hdmi port

When i do that the receiver is frozen, cant adjust volume, power button doesnt work, same with remote nothing works

I connected it to the non arc port and it functions normally

If i use the ps4 through the receiver same exact issue when its connected to the arc port

Possible CEC incompatibility. Disable just the CEC portion on the OLED and the receiver and see if that corrects the issue. You may lose ARC on the receiver if it is associated with CEC, which is still common. If you don't need ARC, then disable ARC/CEC on both devices and either use a Harmony remote to control everything or use the two remotes control your tv and the Onkyo. If you can disable just the CEC protocols of the OLED and the Onkyo then you can still use the Harmony remote and maintain ARC functionality.

#3 · (Edited)
I just did that and then i the volume adjustment did work, but when i enabled arc on the tv the receive just kept turning off and on and the tv had disabled arc and re enabled cec

I do need arc cause i use the smart tv netflix for atmos

Is this TV defective?

I am also having another issue, dolby vision is not selectable on my xbox when i go through receiver, if i go direct to tv it is selectable and enabled but then i cant use my speaker system

#6 ·
I just disabled cec on both tv and receiver and then enabled them, now the receiver is not frozen but the smart tv netflix app wont recognize atmos on atmos films while arc is enabled, not only that but there is no sound only video

If i disable arc the tv recognizes atmos on netflix with its built in speakers and there is both video and sound

#7 ·
Hey did you manage to sort this out as I am having the same issues?

I've just got an LG c8 and the simplink freezes my onkyo TX sr444 receiver unless I disable ARC on the receiver but then lose atmos.

When frozen it requires the plug pulling from the wall as the remote or even the buttons on the amp itself dont work. The remote light flashes to recognize the command but does nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as its doing my head in.

Cheers

#8 ·
Hey did you manage to sort this out as I am having the same issues?

I've just got an LG c8 and the simplink freezes my onkyo TX sr444 receiver unless I disable ARC on the receiver but then lose atmos.

When frozen it requires the plug pulling from the wall as the remote or even the buttons on the amp itself dont work. The remote light flashes to recognize the command but does nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as its doing my head in.

Cheers

CEC causes all kinds of problems, especially if it is associated with ARC (same chipset). If all of your HDMI connected devices do not offer the capability of separate ARC and CEC (LG Simplink) controls then you are stuck. There is an adapter (Lindy CECless I think) that can disable CEC control and still retain ARC functionality. That has worked for some, but not all. CEC protocols are not standardized so it could be the C8 implementation of those protocols or the Onkyo. There are no firmware updates that can correct it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.