use LG BH9540 with dolby atmos AVR - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-17-2019, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
use LG BH9540 with dolby atmos AVR (or LG SK10Y? - please HELP!)

I have an "old" LG BH9540 set (an all in one with 9.1 speakers) but central unit goes fault, i sended to LG in warranty time, but LG said that is not fixable (old system) and proposes me a SK10Y soundbar.
I readed much about this soundbar, here and on web, and i'm not really convinced to accept:
1) I think that a real speaker set is always better than virtual mainly
2) that soundbar is not so easy to place in my living room
3) readed about some problems with dialogue too low in some cases
4) i like the towers BH9540 speakers

Then... i'm evaluating if keep BH9540 and try to use it with a avr, and maybe try to use 9.1 speakers for atmos

indeed the front and rear spakers have upfiring speakers (or height speakers) and separate connectors for "normal" speaker and upfiring speaker then should be adaptable to atmos.
Sub is passive, if not usable with avr (any way?) i have another active sub to use (or i can buy a new one if needed)
About connection front and center (sub too) cables can be cutted on a side (other side have LG custom connectors) to use with a new atmos AVR.
Rear speakers are connected wireless, trough a wifi receiver that is connected with cables to speakers. This cables are 5m (i guess) and too short to reach AVR, i must cut cable connector on one side and use an extension cable (i know junction is not good, but no way i guess)

I think is all things that can be done easily, really i'm surprised no one tried this.
I have and old STRB840 Sony avr, only 5.1, optical input not HDMI, i can try to use it to test BH9540. Only i'm really undecided, dont know if better accept SK10Y substitution or cut all that cables... i fear something can go wrong with result.

A thing that i think must be considered is the speaker impedance. Speakers front and rear are 4ohm, upfiring speakers are 8ohm, sub is 3ohm.
Another important thing should be that this is a 9.1 system, dont know how a AVR atmos manage front/rear upfiring speakers... usually i see that AVR atmos have 7.1 channels (and connectors), how to connect BH9540 up speakers to a 7.1 system?
Please give me some hints a.s.a.p. i must reply to lg for their proposal very soon!

Last edited by Lord Eriol; 02-17-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-11-2020, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey I am literally about to do this same thing. Did you ever try this out?. I got a 9.2 system that I'm going to be trying it on and wondering how well it's going to work or if you found out which wires go to which speakers (meaning the front speaker and the top speaker on each)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page