ONKYO HT R494 and sound issue - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-26-2019, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
ONKYO HT R494 and sound issue

Hi all,

I’ve bought the Onkyo Htp-588 home Theater system with the Ht R494 receiver and all sounds great when everything is plugged into my Sony Bravia KD-55XE8596 through hdmi 3 arc.

The problem is that I’m being told that arc doesn’t work with Atmos or not fully and so I need to use hdmi 2 which is set to 4K. I still get great sound on my PS4, but no sound on the tv now on everything.

Any ideas on what’s causing it? Even the system displays a pop up saying if no sound, put in hdmi slot with arc.

Even though the sound is great through arc, I hate the thought of spending £550 and not getting the full benefits.

Thanks in advance.

Frank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-26-2019, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Addendum, it seems hdmi arc is now playing up and keeps on flicking to PS4, then to tv and back and forth, then settles on PS4, then intermittently keeps on flicking back and forth.

I’m now using hdm2 and no problem PS4, but still no sound on tv.

Bah, technology....

Cheers again.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-26-2019, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3579 Post(s)
Liked: 2585
ARC is usually relegated to only HDMI input, and it should be labeled as ARC. If you disable ARC you can still use the HDMI input as a "normal" HDMI input. Atmos via ARC is limited to lossless Atmos and can only be utilized thru the ARC-labeled input unless your User Manual says otherwise.

A lot of problems with ARC can be traced back to CEC. A lot of systems require CEC to be enabled for ARC to work reliably. CEC is not standardized so the device mfrs are free to implement that however they choose to do so. If you have input switching issues then that could be a CEC incompatibility which may in turn affect ARC.

Because of those issues a lot of us have had to disable ARC/CEC on all of the HDMI connected devices and just use an optical cable from the tv to the receiver for the SmartApps and/or OTA television in lieu of ARC. However, that limits you to 5.1 DD or DD+ in some cases. Using a programmable remote such as a Harmony can be used in place of CEC for single remote control of your system. Another option is to see if the Lindy CECless adapter will work. That blocks the CEC commands but still leaves ARC functional.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page