Vizio 5.1 Question?! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-30-2019, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Vizio 5.1 Question?!

I've been into good video for a while but just recently purchased my first 5.1 audio system, a cheap Vizio system in a box to go with my new M-series Vizio TV.

My issue is that the audio from sound effects (crashes, explosions, punches etc.) is so much louder than the dialog that I have to turn the volume up to headache-inducing levels in order to understand what they are saying.

The explosions and crashes sound great, the subwoofer does a good job, but the dialog from Stranger Things on Netflix and from my UHD movies are not understandable when I bring the total level down to something I can stand.

Is this the way surround sound works for everyone? Any tips on adjustments that allow me to hear it all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-30-2019, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulman182 View Post
I've been into good video for a while but just recently purchased my first 5.1 audio system, a cheap Vizio system in a box to go with my new M-series Vizio TV.

My issue is that the audio from sound effects (crashes, explosions, punches etc.) is so much louder than the dialog that I have to turn the volume up to headache-inducing levels in order to understand what they are saying.

The explosions and crashes sound great, the subwoofer does a good job, but the dialog from Stranger Things on Netflix and from my UHD movies are not understandable when I bring the total level down to something I can stand.

Is this the way surround sound works for everyone? Any tips on adjustments that allow me to hear it all?
No. I have two HTS's. An older LCD system downstairs with a Yamaha HTiB and a new OLED upstairs with separates. Both systems have excellent 5.1 with very clear and defined dialog coming from the center channel. Sounds like (no pun intended) you may need to manually calibrate your audio system either by ear or with an SPL meter. There are no universal settings because it all depends on your listening environment (distance, furnishings, etc) and what you want to hear.

The downstairs HTiB is an older Yamaha system that has been exceptional for about 5 years now. The upstairs system is built around a Yamaha A-780 receiver. Build quality of the audio system is also critical. I've never been a fan of Vizio products but that's just me (once burned twice shy).

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-31-2019, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
No. I have two HTS's. An older LCD system downstairs with a Yamaha HTiB and a new OLED upstairs with separates. Both systems have excellent 5.1 with very clear and defined dialog coming from the center channel. Sounds like (no pun intended) you may need to manually calibrate your audio system either by ear or with an SPL meter. There are no universal settings because it all depends on your listening environment (distance, furnishings, etc) and what you want to hear.

The downstairs HTiB is an older Yamaha system that has been exceptional for about 5 years now. The upstairs system is built around a Yamaha A-780 receiver. Build quality of the audio system is also critical. I've never been a fan of Vizio products but that's just me (once burned twice shy).
Thanks for that. I guess I need to spend more time listening and adjusting.

I just assumed that the proper adjustments would be close to what comes out of the box but it appears the center channels need to be turned way up in my installation.

My room has hardwood floor and the wall where the back speakers are located is only about 12 feet from the TV wall with the center channel soundbar. Lots of sound reflection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-31-2019, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulman182 View Post
Thanks for that. I guess I need to spend more time listening and adjusting.

I just assumed that the proper adjustments would be close to what comes out of the box but it appears the center channels need to be turned way up in my installation.

My room has hardwood floor and the wall where the back speakers are located is only about 12 feet from the TV wall with the center channel soundbar. Lots of sound reflection.
The listening environment plays a huge roll in what and how you hear audio. Our downstairs system (the Yamaha HTiB) sits on a hardwood floor but the sides and front speakers are only about a foot from the walls. The center channel sits directly underneath the tv, which is on a media console. The front speakers are about 12' apart from each other (the tv is in the center) and the front and side speakers are set at ear height when sitting in the optimal listening position. The upstairs HTS is basically setup the same only it is on carpet with a different room configuration so I needed to make the necessary adjustments.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page