AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Home Theater In A Box (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/109-home-theater-box/)
-   -   Onkyo not pushing 4K to TV (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/109-home-theater-box/3088942-onkyo-not-pushing-4k-tv.html)

Rock God 09-04-2019 10:42 PM

Onkyo not pushing 4K to TV

Hello,

I have an Onkyo HT-r695 AV Receiver as part of the Onkyo HT-s7805 5.1.2 pack.

I currently have a PS4, 4K Bluray, and Fetch TV hooked up to a Hisense 65P7 4K TV.

When I play USB files direct in the TV the picture looks crystal clear even upscaled 1080p.

If I play a 4K Bluray disk the picture is not as clear and looks about the same as a stock Bluray, not 4K. Pressing 'info' on the TV remote the TV tells me the resolution it's receiving is 4K, but visually it doesn't look it.

I've run the Bluray direct to the TV, bypassing the AV Receiver, and the exact same picture now looks much better; probably now actually 4k.

The AV Receiver is capable of 4K but doesn't seem to be displaying at this resolution.

Once I get this solved it will probably help with the 4K content from my Ps4 and Fetch Box.
Any ideas?

Rock

hodgjy 09-05-2019 07:39 AM

A few thoughts:

The 1080 to 4k jump isn't as big as you'd expect.

As far as why it may look sharper when run directly to your tv vs. through the receiver, it may be because your tv accepts HDR and/or Dolby Vision and your receiver isn't passing that through. These add more detail than just pixel count. Check all your receiver settings to make sure it passes on UHD color, HDR, etc.

afrogt 09-05-2019 05:23 PM

Also, do you have certified premium HDMI cables capable of 18Gbps?

Rock God 09-06-2019 05:13 AM

Yes, proper hi-speed 4k cables are in use

Rock God 09-06-2019 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hodgjy (Post 58516204)
A few thoughts:

As far as why it may look sharper when run directly to your tv vs. through the receiver, it may be because your tv accepts HDR and/or Dolby Vision and your receiver isn't passing that through. These add more detail than just pixel count. Check all your receiver settings to make sure it passes on UHD color, HDR, etc.

This is from the Onkyo website for my model:
6 HDMI inputs support pass-through of HDR10 and Dolby Vision, the BT.2020 4K video standard, 4K/60 Hz video, and HDCP 2.2-protected premium video content untouched from source to screen.

Ryan Statz 09-07-2019 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock God (Post 58515094)
Hello,

I have an Onkyo HT-r695 AV Receiver as part of the Onkyo HT-s7805 5.1.2 pack.

I currently have a PS4, 4K Bluray, and Fetch TV hooked up to a Hisense 65P7 4K TV.

When I play USB files direct in the TV the picture looks crystal clear even upscaled 1080p.

If I play a 4K Bluray disk the picture is not as clear and looks about the same as a stock Bluray, not 4K. Pressing 'info' on the TV remote the TV tells me the resolution it's receiving is 4K, but visually it doesn't look it.

I've run the Bluray direct to the TV, bypassing the AV Receiver, and the exact same picture now looks much better; probably now actually 4k.

The AV Receiver is capable of 4K but doesn't seem to be displaying at this resolution.

Once I get this solved it will probably help with the 4K content from my Ps4 and Fetch Box.
Any ideas?

Rock

Could be a few things:

Some AVRs will only output 4K HDR on certain outputs. Same with your TV.

There could be an "Enhanced Format" setting in the TV you need to turn on in order to access full 4K HDR.

Rock God 09-07-2019 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Statz (Post 58526998)
Could be a few things:

Some AVRs will only output 4K HDR on certain outputs. Same with your TV.

There could be an "Enhanced Format" setting in the TV you need to turn on in order to access full 4K HDR.

Yes, this one does have that. Inputs 1-3 are in 4K, the other 3 are std. Input 5 is labelled 'Game' but I have changed my PS4 to Input 2, SAT, in order to ensure 4K output. All the other inputs are plugged into 1-3.

golden78 09-11-2019 10:04 AM

what does receiver say on the screen when press info button when playng the 4k disc

Rock God 09-14-2019 04:25 AM

It lists 4k resolution, ie 3840 X 2160, but the picture is not as clear as it is when plugging straight into the TV.