My budget is 1200$ should i go with onkyo HT-S9890? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-06-2019, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My budget is 1200$ should i go with onkyo HT-S9890?

Hello,
I’m planning to have a home theater and my budget is 1200$.
Onkyo HT-S9800 suits my budget but i’v read many reviews that say with its price you can get better. Would you please tell me whether i should take it or suggest me something better. I really don’t have any experience in this field.

Thanks a lot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-06-2019, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 308
with $1200 you can definitely do a lot better than a HTIB setup. Depending on where you are different equipment would be available, but you could piece together a much system.

If you give your location people could give you some options that will work for you.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-06-2019, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
+1. I would suggest looking at what you want in a receiver first and then see if you can find a refurb to save a little coin. Once you have your receiver, or know what you're gonna get, then I'd hop over to the Speakers Forum, mention your receiver and your price point for speakers, and see what the recommendations are. If you don't have a BD player, then budget for that as well.

A good set of speakers will make a mediocre receiver sound great. But a bad set of speakers can make a great receiver sound mediocre.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-07-2019, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgarc View Post
with $1200 you can definitely do a lot better than a HTIB setup. Depending on where you are different equipment would be available, but you could piece together a much system.

If you give your location people could give you some options that will work for you.
I’m living in Middle east, so the shipping may cost a fortune. So you believe that onkyo doesn’t worth it?
post #5 of 10 Old 11-07-2019, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
+1. I would suggest looking at what you want in a receiver first and then see if you can find a refurb to save a little coin. Once you have your receiver, or know what you're gonna get, then I'd hop over to the Speakers Forum, mention your receiver and your price point for speakers, and see what the recommendations are. If you don't have a BD player, then budget for that as well.

A good set of speakers will make a mediocre receiver sound great. But a bad set of speakers can make a great receiver sound mediocre.
Is there a set of good speakers and receivers i can get with this budget?
If you may, suggest a set for me.
Thank you
post #6 of 10 Old 11-07-2019, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Faisal View Post
Thank you
Follow my advice. Decide what you want in a receiver now and possibly in the future and then look at prices. I'd look to Yamaha (which I have), Denon, or Onkyo as a receiver. If you take your time and do some research, you can probably build a nice starter system for your price point.

It all depends on how discriminating you want to be with your audio and what you listen to. Mostly movies, mostly tv, mostly music, etc. Do you want Atmos? 5.1, 7.1, 5.1.2, 7.1.2, etc.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-07-2019, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Thank you
Sony is having a sale on their Core series again. You can get a pretty decent 5.1 system with receiver for less than $1000.

STR1080 Receiver $400
SSCS3 Fronts 2x $99 =$200
SSCS8 Center 1x $75 =$75
SSCS5 Rears 2 for $75 =$75
SACS9 Sub 1x $100 =$100

Total $850

You could save a bit going with the STRDH590 and maybe use the savings on an upgraded SUB as the Sony sub has a reputation of being a bit weak. The Sony sub works well in my smallish room but takes some criticism for being weak here on AVS.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #8 of 10 Old 11-07-2019, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Quote:
Thank you
Follow my advice. Decide what you want in a receiver now and possibly in the future and then look at prices. I'd look to Yamaha (which I have), Denon, or Onkyo as a receiver. If you take your time and do some research, you can probably build a nice starter system for your price point.

It all depends on how discriminating you want to be with your audio and what you listen to. Mostly movies, mostly tv, mostly music, etc. Do you want Atmos? 5.1, 7.1, 5.1.2, 7.1.2, etc.
Sure i will, but i also want you to advice me which receiver should i take hahaha.
I want to build an atmos system 7.1.2
post #9 of 10 Old 11-07-2019, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would start exploring your local options first. Even with Amazon, your options will be different from mine. For a receiver look at the major manufacturers Yamaha, Denon/Marantz, or Onkyo/Pioneer. I would also add Sony if the other options are not available locally. At the same price point the different brands are very similar in terms of features. I was auditioning receivers the other day and I preferred the Denon over the pioneer but it was a subtle difference in the setup I was listening to.

As for speaker look at companies like Kef, Elac, Q acoustics, Focal, and Canton. Even satellite systems from these companies will greatly outperform any HTIB setup. SVS may also be an option as well depending on where you are in the Middle east.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-08-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sure i will, but i also want you to advice me which receiver should i take hahaha.
I want to build an atmos system 7.1.2
you would be looking for a 9 channel receiver. Also, for Atmos you would get better results if you went 5.1.4 provided you have about 1.5 meters of space behind the primary listening position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page