• 1 Post By altpensacola
  • 1 Post By markmon1

post #1 of 17 Old 11-13-2019, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Diy htib

I currently am rocking a 7 year old 46" Samsung led that was an amazing tv in it's day and has now run it's course. The GUI is dated, no longer updated and 'flashlighting at four points on the short edges is getting more and more obvious. We are just using the tv for audio, which has been fine, but where are my bass rumbles?

I want to land a better setup for the wife and I to enjoy LOTR this holiday season as is our custom and I've been researching, reading the forums and attempting to put together the best bang for our limited buck. We don't do any gaming, we do love music but are not audiophiles. I'll be pulling all my 80s-90s records into mp3s for playback one of these days. Mostly we watch a metric sh*t-ton of streaming media ala Amazon and Netflix.

LG 65 inch OLED E9
Denon x1600h (will this be enough to support the selected speakers?)
-or-
Denon x3500h (anything incompatible with the E9?)

SVS PB-2000 (is one enough?)
Center channel Chase a2.4
LR channels chane a5.5

Mediabridge bulk cable

This brings us in around $4500 bucks. Will this system keep us happy for a decade? That's ~$40/mo over ten years. I'd go 50 at $6000 total for better future proofing if such a thing is possible.

Anything I'm missing? Other directions I can/should go? Should I consider extended warranties? Where should I buy this stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-13-2019, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

more info:

We live in a mountain cabin with a proportionally large living room, about 19 feet by 24 feet w/ 8 foot ceilings. We use half of it for my office desk and dining room table and the other half for our couches, my big boy chair and the tv. So the theater are is more like 12 wide and 19 deep. 2300 cubic feet total in the room.
post #3 of 17 Old 11-13-2019, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

there are typos and I can't edit the post so please ask for clarification.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 11-13-2019, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

And finally, if this is the wrong forum for my questions, please direct me to a more appropriate one.
post #5 of 17 Old 11-13-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McLaury View Post
I currently am rocking a 7 year old 46" Samsung led that was an amazing tv in it's day and has now run it's course. The GUI is dated, no longer updated and 'flashlighting at four points on the short edges is getting more and more obvious. We are just using the tv for audio, which has been fine, but where are my bass rumbles?

I want to land a better setup for the wife and I to enjoy LOTR this holiday season as is our custom and I've been researching, reading the forums and attempting to put together the best bang for our limited buck. We don't do any gaming, we do love music but are not audiophiles. I'll be pulling all my 80s-90s records into mp3s for playback one of these days. Mostly we watch a metric sh*t-ton of streaming media ala Amazon and Netflix.

LG 65 inch OLED E9
Denon x1600h (will this be enough to support the selected speakers?)
-or-
Denon x3500h (anything incompatible with the E9?)

SVS PB-2000 (is one enough?)
Center channel Chase a2.4
LR channels chane a5.5

Mediabridge bulk cable

This brings us in around $4500 bucks. Will this system keep us happy for a decade? That's ~$40/mo over ten years. I'd go 50 at $6000 total for better future proofing if such a thing is possible.

Anything I'm missing? Other directions I can/should go? Should I consider extended warranties? Where should I buy this stuff?
A lot of people really like Chane, I have never heard them personally, but they get many recommendations. Do you and the wife like to listen at loud volume? Also how large a room is it, and is it open to other areas? Thats important when it comes to sub choice as the sub will "see" the entire open area. Depending on room size you may look to do 2 subs, you could go with one first (which is what I would do) and if you feel your lacking in boom, then pick up a second one. As far as where to buy, I believe you can only purchase Chane speakers through their website. SVS subs, are mainly an internet direct retailer, although they are carried in many BestBuy Magnolia stores. Do you have the option to audition speakers before you buy? Like do you live near either something like a BestBuy Magnolia store or a store that specializes in Home Theater speakers and equipment? If would be good to know what kind of sound you like before jumping in and spending a lot of money.
post #6 of 17 Old 11-13-2019, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
A lot of people really like Chane, I have never heard them personally, but they get many recommendations. Do you and the wife like to listen at loud volume? Also how large a room is it, and is it open to other areas? Thats important when it comes to sub choice as the sub will "see" the entire open area. Depending on room size you may look to do 2 subs, you could go with one first (which is what I would do) and if you feel your lacking in boom, then pick up a second one. As far as where to buy, I believe you can only purchase Chane speakers through their website. SVS subs, are mainly an internet direct retailer, although they are carried in many BestBuy Magnolia stores. Do you have the option to audition speakers before you buy? Like do you live near either something like a BestBuy Magnolia store or a store that specializes in Home Theater speakers and equipment? If would be good to know what kind of sound you like before jumping in and spending a lot of money.
The room is about 3648 cubic feet. I have access to a Best Buy but I'm not aware of any high end audio video stores in the area.
post #7 of 17 Old 11-13-2019, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The room is about 3648 cubic feet. I have access to a Best Buy but I'm not aware of any high end audio video stores in the area.
We do not listen at particularly high volumes. I believe both options for receiver allow a second set of speakers which I would mount in our back yard so we would not need to crank the house speakers to enjoy music 'out back'.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-13-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
We do not listen at particularly high volumes. I believe both options for receiver allow a second set of speakers which I would mount in our back yard so we would not need to crank the house speakers to enjoy music 'out back'.
Well if its a non Magnolia BestBuy, the speaker options are normally pretty limited to like the low end Klipsch, but you can check it out none the less, I mean it couldn't hurt. Its just risky recommending speakers if you have never heard them or aren't really sure what kind of sound you like. In a room that size 2 subs would probably be better but it depends on how much of a bass head you are.
post #9 of 17 Old 11-13-2019, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
Well if its a non Magnolia BestBuy, the speaker options are normally pretty limited to like the low end Klipsch, but you can check it out none the less, I mean it couldn't hurt. Its just risky recommending speakers if you have never heard them or aren't really sure what kind of sound you like. In a room that size 2 subs would probably be better but it depends on how much of a bass head you are.
The have a Magnolia area. I love rich bass. I'm curious how much bass the Chane towers will produce on their own. We have rescue dogs, we don't crank up the tunes, but I would love a really nice sound system for moderate volume levels as an extension of the home theater set up.
post #10 of 17 Old 11-13-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The have a Magnolia area. I love rich bass. I'm curious how much bass the Chane towers will produce on their own. We have rescue dogs, we don't crank up the tunes, but I would love a really nice sound system for moderate volume levels as an extension of the home theater set up.
Not sure of the specs of the Chane's I couldn't find it, but you might shoot them an email, and certainly do a search here for them I am sure there are a few reviews by people who bought them. You could loot into other sub makers as well HSU, Rythmik, JTR all make good subs, I have a Rythmik LVX12 that I love. It's a servo sub, many believer it give a tighter bass than a typical ported sub.
post #11 of 17 Old 11-13-2019, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Speakers that cost 4 figures but don't list specs clearly on their product webpage? That's suspicious and reason enough on its own to avoid them if I were you. Look at SVS prime towers and centre perhaps, many on this forum use them, which is a better accreditation than praise from paid reviewers.

The Denon x1600 will have all the features you need, the only real difference for you would be the x3600 would have more power, which might be necessary if you buy low-efficiency speakers. I'd suggest the x3600 if you get the SVS primes as they are only 87dB efficient.

Can't go wrong with SVS subs really, I prefer a sealed-enclosure over ported sound but its a personal choice. Buy two if you like bass, but dogs usually don't like loud bass.

Source: Gaming/HT PC, i7 3770K, 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz, 2x GTX 980Ti SLI, MPC-HCx64 w/ MadVR & SVP frame interpolation
Display: Panasonic VT30 55" Plasma ::: Receiver: Denon AVR-1910
5.1 Speakers: Behringer B215XLs
Subwoofers: 4x SI HT18 D4 open baffle powered by iNuke NU4-6000 (1 driver per channel at 2ohm)
post #12 of 17 Old 11-13-2019, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormy View Post
Speakers that cost 4 figures but don't list specs clearly on their product webpage? That's suspicious and reason enough on its own to avoid them if I were you. Look at SVS prime towers and centre perhaps, many on this forum use them, which is a better accreditation than praise from paid reviewers.

The Denon x1600 will have all the features you need, the only real difference for you would be the x3600 would have more power, which might be necessary if you buy low-efficiency speakers. I'd suggest the x3600 if you get the SVS primes as they are only 87dB efficient.

Can't go wrong with SVS subs really, I prefer a sealed-enclosure over ported sound but its a personal choice. Buy two if you like bass, but dogs usually don't like loud bass.
If it were another brands I might agree with you, but Chane speakers are pretty well liked around here with many recommendations from various people. I can't personally say anything good or bad about them as I have not personally heard them. As I mentioned to the OP do a search here in the forums and you will find multiple threads talking about them that can give you an impression of what to expect.
Kieran McLaury likes this.
post #13 of 17 Old 11-18-2019, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
, we do love music but are not audiophiles. I'll be pulling all my 80s-90s records into mp3s for playback one of these days. Mostly we watch a metric sh*t-ton of streaming media ala Amazon and Netflix.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO reason to convert album music to MP3 in this day and age and then spend money to listen to it unless you are walking or riding a bike.

Music, more music.
post #14 of 17 Old 11-18-2019, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by altpensacola View Post
There is ABSOLUTELY NO reason to convert album music to MP3 in this day and age and then spend money to listen to it unless you are walking or riding a bike.
I work in construction and want my considerable record collection available on my phone. I want my music available in my truck while I drive around, we are homesteaders to boot, I want to jam to my **** while I work in the gardens. There are myriad reasons to convert album music to mp3s.
post #15 of 17 Old 11-19-2019, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
I work in construction and want my considerable record collection available on my phone. I want my music available in my truck while I drive around, we are homesteaders to boot, I want to jam to my **** while I work in the gardens. There are myriad reasons to convert album music to mp3s.
In a truck, in the garden, just like walking and biking, as I said, MP3 is fine, but for $4500 or more speaker set up...Flac or WAV only,
MP3 makes as much since as VHS now days. Find your albums on CD (easy enough ) and convert to lossless for the home.

Music, more music.
post #16 of 17 Old 11-19-2019, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by altpensacola View Post
In a truck, in the garden, just like walking and biking, as I said, MP3 is fine, but for $4500 or more speaker set up...Flac or WAV only,
MP3 makes as much since as VHS now days. Find your albums on CD (easy enough ) and convert to lossless for the home.
Oh, I thought you were inferring if I wasn't spinning up an album every time I wanted to hear a tune I wasn't legit or some such. Sure. Thanks for the tip.
post #17 of 17 Old 11-19-2019, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 5425 Post(s)
Liked: 3557
If you're worried about bass and dogs (as I have my 3 little dogs with me every night in my theater), a really good solution is to make sure those subs are firing directly into your seating. Like if it could literally be behind the couch firing into your back or build something in the floor under your seat firing up into your seat (or just get shakers). The tactile feeling and close proximity to you will let you lower the bass but feel the same level or even higher level of satisfaction.

As far as one or two subs, people dont usually get 2 subs to add more bass. The 2nd sub only adds 3db. They get 2 subs to avoid room nulls. If you follow my advice and have the subs originate basically at your seating position, then room nulls are a non issue as the bass originates in your position.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page