Can I reuse my 4 Ohm speaker from my Samsung AV-R720 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-19-2019, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can I reuse my 4 Ohm speaker from my Samsung AV-R720

Can I reuse my 4 Ohm speaker from my Samsung AV-R720?
My front right channel is crakling and poping. all the other channel is fine. It is 12 years old and its probably time to get a new one.
I am looking at the HT-S5800 on sale at Amazon.ca for CAD$ 599.99 is $100 less than anywhere else. Is this a good system?
Or should I spend the money to buy a receiver and use my 4 ohms speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-19-2019, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 162
A new receiver that can handle a 4 ohm surround systems will probably cost the same or more as a whole HTIB system new. Tough call I agree.

Music, more music.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-19-2019, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

I just saw a Onkyo TX-NR696 B stock for 379.99 at Gibbys. Would this run my 4 ohms speaker? Great price for a refurb system since a new one is 549.99 on Amazon and 849.99 at Crutchfield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-19-2019, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Siu View Post
I just saw a Onkyo TX-NR696 B stock for 379.99 at Gibbys. Would this run my 4 ohms speaker? Great price for a refurb system since a new one is 549.99 on Amazon and 849.99 at Crutchfield
and the TX-NR787 is for $499.99 at bestbuy
post #5 of 11 Old 11-19-2019, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Both of those spec sheets says yes to 4 ohm stable. In fact rated 4 to 16 ohm. So yes what you are looking for.
Both are THX Certified, that doesn't mean much to some here, but in my experience and research it means a power supply that meets standards to deliver when needed.

Music, more music.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-20-2019, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.
I am more confused than ever after I research a bit more on those receiver. Don't really know which one I need vs want.
Also I don;t know how well are my speaker working, I know they work fine before my one of the receiver channel before rice crispy.
How much are mid range speakers anyway. I know less about speakers than receivers. Just in case my speaker will be not or stand the test of time. I don;t want to spend more than $750 CAD which is about $600 USD.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-21-2019, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 308
in Canada i would look at PSB and Fluance Speakers in that price range. Fluance has a few speaker packages that would fit within your specified budget. I'm partial to PSB but they tend to cost more. However, I hope that the receiver upgrade fixes your situation. I have had the same speaker for 20 years and I've gone through two receivers in that time.

As for the receivers, I don't see a lot of significant differences between the two. I would choose the one that has the connections that will work with the gear you intend to use. I believe the 787 has more legacy connections so if you have older gear it may be the better option but if you use mainly HDMI connection then the 696 would be fine and I think that is the newer product. Also if you want set up 9 channels then the 787 is your option but not everybody has room for that type of a setup. If you can only fit 5 to 7 channels then you are probably better off with the 696
post #8 of 11 Old 11-21-2019, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgarc View Post
in Canada i would look at PSB and Fluance Speakers in that price range. Fluance has a few speaker packages that would fit within your specified budget. I'm partial to PSB but they tend to cost more. However, I hope that the receiver upgrade fixes your situation. I have had the same speaker for 20 years and I've gone through two receivers in that time.

As for the receivers, I don't see a lot of significant differences between the two. I would choose the one that has the connections that will work with the gear you intend to use. I believe the 787 has more legacy connections so if you have older gear it may be the better option but if you use mainly HDMI connection then the 696 would be fine and I think that is the newer product. Also if you want set up 9 channels then the 787 is your option but not everybody has room for that type of a setup. If you can only fit 5 to 7 channels then you are probably better off with the 696
Denon AVR x1500h vs TX-NR787 or TX NR686. The NR696 is B stock, I dont know if that would last as long as a new one, I want it to last at least 10 years. Hard to choose between Denon and Onkyo. Any other recommandation? I would rather spend more money and it last longer. I can a;ways upgrade the speaker later.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-22-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I like the Denon if you get it for a good price as that one is last year's model but a firmware update would give you a more up-to-date machine. it should be on closeout pricing if available. I believe that the 686 and 787 are also last year's models. I'm not as familiar with onkyo as with denon and Pioneer. At the same price points I see more similarities than differences between brands.

if you don't mind paying a little more, the I would also look at the Denon x-1600h which is this years version of the 1500 and has an updated HDMI board. Other than that it is practically identical to the 1500 once the firmware updates are installed. Not sure if the upgraded HDMI board will make a big difference unless 8K actually becomes a thing down the road.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-22-2019, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

I am leaning towards the DENON AVR X1500h and I saw AVRS750H. what is the difference really? They are both on sale for $399 CAD and look exactly the same reading the compare doesnt mean anything to me since I done understand the lol. Can someone help please explain which one would be a better choice for me?
post #11 of 11 Old 11-22-2019, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Denon S Series is the entry level series while the X series are their step up models. I believe the the S 700's (the last two digits indicate the model year so the 750 is this years model) are 75 watts per channel into 2 channels and i don't think they are rated for 4 ohm speaker loads. They also use a lower tier of the Audyssey room correction software.

The X 1000's (1500 being last year's model) are 90 watts per channel into channels and are rated for 4 ohm speaker loads. the x1000 and x2000 receiver use the mid-tier Audyssey room correction software. The current model is the x 16000h you you are paying closeout pricing on the remaining stock of 1500's.

Coincidentally the H at the end of the model number indicates the it is HEOS compatible which is Denon/Marantz' wireless multi-room music distribution system. Almost all new denon gear has this capability so its not something you want think too much about.

Given the price point, I would take the 1500 over the 750.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page