Noob here, help select one - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-26-2019, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Noob here, help select one

First timer and noob here. In market for budget, <500, speaker system for about 18x24 size room with back wall open to kitchen. Need help to select one from this two

1.https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091SIB...ack-Black.html

2. https://www.costco.com/klipsch-refer...100492734.html

They will go with Denon AVR-X2500H. I will add ceiling speaker separately (feel free to recommend). Help me select one. Feel free to recommend new one if that within budget

PS wife wants decent looking, on wall speakers only &#x1f61e;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-26-2019, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Based on specs on each those the Focals are not equal to those Klipsch at all.
The Klipsch will be able to handle more power without breaking up. Which is nice If you need to turn it up due to your room or movie experience wanted. They also had a lot of great reviews I noticed. The Klipsch sub can be wireless if needed, that would be handy if you want to put it closer to your seat or back of room. The Klipsch cost more but like I said I don't think these are comparable systems.

Music, more music.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-26-2019, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you, appreciate the feedback.

Do I need matching ceiling speakers or any would do? Please feel free to recommend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-01-2019, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deal4kam View Post
Thank you, appreciate the feedback.

Do I need matching ceiling speakers or any would do? Please feel free to recommend.
Can't answer that, I don't do atmos.

Music, more music.

Last edited by altpensacola; 12-01-2019 at 07:04 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-02-2019, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 308
What you get with the Focal Sib 5.1 pack is larger drivers on the speakers. Which will give you an overall deeper sound. The are also very versatile in terms of placement with no need to buy additional hardware for wall mounting. And they look pretty nifty as well. While not as full sounding as regular bookshelf speakers they are surprisingly good for the price.

Those Klipsh satellites only have 3" drivers and have to be crossed over to the sub at a point that you may get sub localization as they produce no bass at all. The subs in both cases are their weakest point but at least you can improve the overall sound of the Focal Sibs with a subwoofer upgrade.

Also, lower end Klipsch speakers can be very fatiguing with prolonged listening and people either really like them or hate them. There are very few people in the middle. Before investing in entry level Klipsch speakers I would go out and listen to some klipsch speaker and see what you think.

for the in ceiling could get some In-ceiling speakers from Monoprice for a fairly reasonable price or get another pair of Focal Sibs and place high on the wall if in ceilings ar not possible.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-04-2019, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I like the Klipsch.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-06-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
I like the Klipsch.
Many poeple like Klipsch but they are off-putting to others. The issue with these is that they are satellite style speakers which may exaggerate the shrillness with their lack of bass. I have BA satellites which are much more mellow but require the sub to close the fronts to avoid hearing the localization of the sub. The Focal sibs allow for a lower crossover point so material that is intended for the speakers won't get routed to the sub.

THe sub is the biggest weakness in both of these sets and the Sibs will allow for more choices in sub upgrade since some of the better subs may not effectively cross over above 90 - 100 Hz. With either of these set one should plan on a sub upgrade in the future. However I haven't upgraded my by satellite sub yet and its doing fine provided I don't push it beyond its limits.

Before buying any Klipsch speaker I would go out a listen to a pair as Klisch has a distinct signature sound. They are easy to find. Many people like them and they do get very loud but if you don't like their sound in the store I don't think you will like them at home. On the other hand, the Klipsch may be exactly what the OP wants.

Last edited by Rgarc; 12-06-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page