• 1 Post By Leeliemix

post #1 of 11 Old 12-09-2019, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Onkyo and Dolby Atmos

Hello All,

I recently purchased an onkyo 5.1 speaker system with receiver- HT-R398 as well as an lg ultra 4 k TV. im connected arc to arc with a high speed ultra 4k hdmi.

This maybe a stupid question, but how do you enable dolby atmos? i dont see it when i flip through the movie modes? currently im on dsurr 5.1. (assuming means dolby surround) , i can see stereo, theater, other modes that start with D.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-09-2019, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Atmos is only shown on atmos content and require speakers at height or top layers. With 5.1 an atmos track would only be shown as Dolby Digital + or Dolby trueHD. All the sound is there anyway just nothing moved up away from the base layer speakers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 Old 12-09-2019, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

ok so your saying the file has to have atmos content it doesnt have to be enabled in the onkyo? basically there isnt an atmos mode on the receiver, if i have it in Dsurround 5.1 assuming that means dolby surround it will play atmos content automatically?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 12-09-2019, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Onkyo and Dolby Atmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Flanagan View Post
ok so your saying the file has to have atmos content it doesnt have to be enabled in the onkyo? basically there isnt an atmos mode on the receiver, if i have it in Dsurround 5.1 assuming that means dolby surround it will play atmos content automatically?

You cant select atmos in the reciever with only 5.1 even if you are getting an atmos track.
Dolby surround is an upmixer which can be used on 2 channel content to make it 5.1(or more).
Dolby Digital is up to 7.1 discrete channels
Dolby trueHD is up to 7.1 lossless discrete channels
Dolby atmos can be 7.1.6 channels

Edit: forgot to add, an ARC connection is very limited unless its eARC or you dont use ARC but only use the HDMI ports that are labeled ARC while having sources connected to the reciever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5 of 11 Old 12-09-2019, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Hello All,

I recently purchased an onkyo 5.1 speaker system with receiver- HT-R398 as well as an lg ultra 4 k TV. im connected arc to arc with a high speed ultra 4k hdmi.

This maybe a stupid question, but how do you enable dolby atmos? i dont see it when i flip through the movie modes? currently im on dsurr 5.1. (assuming means dolby surround) , i can see stereo, theater, other modes that start with D.

Thank you
You have to update the firmware to be able to use listening mode Atmos when you don't have height speakers.

PS: if you really want to enjoy Atmos, you should have bought at least a 7 channels amp with ability to add an active subwoofer. Think about it if you are writing exchange policy!
post #6 of 11 Old 12-09-2019, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 7473 Post(s)
Liked: 6601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post
You cant select atmos in the reciever with only 5.1 even if you are getting an atmos track.
His Onkyo receiver has Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer and DTS Virtual:X to allow it to decode Atmos and DTS:X soundtracks despite being 5.1 channels.
Quote:
Dolby surround is an upmixer which can be used on 2 channel content to make it 5.1(or more).
In this receiver DSU can be used with 2.0, 5.1 and 7.1 content to extract height info, which is then virtualized to give the impression of sounds above you (to whatever extent the processing works).
Quote:
Dolby Digital is up to 7.1 discrete channels
DD tops out at 5.1 channels.
Quote:
Dolby trueHD is up to 7.1 lossless discrete channels
Up to 16 channels.
Quote:
Dolby atmos can be 7.1.6 channels
The home version of Atmos is 7.1 channels plus objects. Those objects can be dynamic (move around the room) or static (stay in one place to mimic a channel).

Sanjay
post #7 of 11 Old 12-09-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Atmos isn't a mode, it's a decoder for Atmos encoded material. Think of it like a MP3 decoder. If you're listening to a CD, you can't switch to MP3 mode. It's a decoder for files encoded in MP3.

By comparison, DSU (Dolby Surround upmixer) is a mode that you can apply to non-Atmos content. The DSU mode can be switched on or off. DTS has its own upmixer called Virtual:X.

Sanjay
post #8 of 11 Old 12-09-2019, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
His Onkyo receiver has Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer and DTS Virtual:X to allow it to decode Atmos and DTS:X soundtracks despite being 5.1 channels. In this receiver DSU can be used with 2.0, 5.1 and 7.1 content to extract height info, which is then virtualized to give the impression of sounds above you (to whatever extent the processing works). DD tops out at 5.1 channels. Up to 16 channels. The home version of Atmos is 7.1 channels plus objects. Those objects can be dynamic (move around the room) or static (stay in one place to mimic a channel).

Ye, i was a bit quick there, tired, its very late here
I did not know DDtrueHD was up to 16, never seen more than 7.1 on any of my bluray discs.
On atmos i didnt write discrete because its a bit of a ‘mix’ but good you made it more detailed.
sdurani likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-09-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post
I did not know DDtrueHD was up to 16
Me neither, until I Googled it: https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...by-truehd.html (scroll down to the part about Advanced Features).

Sanjay
post #10 of 11 Old 12-09-2019, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

thanks guys so i see you know a little more thanme on this, do i need to do anything, adjust anything to take full advantage?
post #11 of 11 Old 12-10-2019, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

bump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page