Replacing Sony DAV-HDX900W - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-25-2019, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Replacing Sony DAV-HDX900W

I have a Sony DAV-HDX900W and the receiver is broken. I'm pretty sure one of the amps is blown but I don't think it's worth my time trying to fix it. I had it for about 10 years.

I am looking at buying a new receiver but realized that the speakers are 3 Ohms and the sub is 1.5 Ohms. Most of the receivers I have found only support 6+ Ohms. Are there any receivers around $300 CAD that can run my speakers?

Otherwise I was looking at Best Buy and found receivers that are 5.1 around the $300 range. I saw Pioneer VSX-534 for $250, but they also recommended Sony at around $350, can't remember which model.

I don't want to get stuck an all in one system which gets me stuck in the same situation of having one thing fail and requiring throwing the whole thing out. I much prefer buying a more universal receiver and speaker solution.

I looked at a Pioneer HTP-076 for $470 and sounded alright when listening to music. But I wonder if the speakers will be any good compared to my Sony system. They also have a speaker kit, Polk Audio RM6750, for $300. Are these speakers any better than the Pioneer? Am I better off buying this speaker kit and a separate receiver? I also Onkyo SKS-HT690 on Amazon for $500.

I'm looking for some advice on getting a new system. I just want to make sure I at least have equal or better quality than my old Sony system. I worry these new speakers look very weak. I don't crank the volume loud, I mostly use it to watch movies. I also have it hooked up to my computer by optical SPDIF, other features are really just bonus for me now, but flexibility for the future is also great. I also have the rear speakers hooked up through infrared which came with the Sony system but I found that Best Buy has a wireless speaker kit for $100 I was planning on getting. Running wires for the rear is not impossible but seems like the convenience is worth it. Finally, I like that I can mount my front and rear speakers to the wall. My floor space is a little limited, so prefer not having stands for the speakers.

Any advice on kits available today is greatly appreciated. I definitely want to stay under $1000, but I was hoping to get around $750.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-29-2019, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
In case anyone else is in a similar scenario I found that either you can get a cheaper system around $600, or you have to get into the $1200 range.

I decided to spend a bit more and it came down to Klipsch or Polk. I was looking at the bookshelf speakers, R-41M and S15 as well as the center and sub. I heard good things about both but decided to go for the Klipsch since the Polk demo was not working in the store. I liked the slim height of the Polk center speaker but read and heard the Klipsch bass is better out the models they had.

I also decided to hook them up to a Denon AVR-S750H.

The general consensus I've heard is that you can't go wrong between Klipsch and Polk.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-07-2020, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 311
In Canada i would probably add these Fluance speakers to your list of speakers to check out. Not a fan of Klipsch or or polk in their lower price offerings so the Fluance sX6 might be a good alternative low budget option. the link is to a package deal but could keep you under $1000.

https://www.amazon.ca/Surround-Inclu...1&sr=8-17&th=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater In A Box

Tags
home theatre placement decision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page