Denon AVR-486 HTIB upgrade options - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Rgarc
  • 1 Post By rontalley
  • 1 Post By Rgarc

post #1 of 5 Old 02-08-2020, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Denon AVR-486 HTIB upgrade options

I'm not sure how old my system is - probably circa 2007. I'm using the 7.1 system as 5.1 and my Vizio tv does the input switching (no HDMI on the Denon). I'm debating an upgrade but my current system isn't offensive to me so I don't know if it is worth spending money on. I've got the setup in my basement rec room that is approximately 20'x20' and use mainly for streaming content and movies with a little streaming audio mixed in (70%, 25%, 5%). I wouldn't mind a little bigger sound and easy of use going between the inputs.

I've only got 4 HDMI inputs (Blu-Ray, Roku, chromecast & Xbox one) and TV content is an OTA antenna.

I've looked at some of the new HTIB like the Onkyo HT-S580 and the Yamaha Yht-4950U (Both sub $500 systems) but don't know if I would see/hear any substantial difference. I've also considered just upgrading speakers to the Klipsch 5.1 reference (also sub $500) or just my receiver (I haven't done much research here).

Can anyone help me with some direction? I'd like to keep things under $600 if I upgrade and get a better understanding of what component(s) are the most important if I consider an upgrade.

Thank for any advice you can give.

Donny
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Denon486avr.pdf (157.0 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-13-2020, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 324
I think you are ready to move away from HTIB setups and into separate receiver and speakers. Since you already have gear you like I would start by upgrading the center channel and subwoofer and see if you notice a difference. If you like the change then add speakers as budget allows. Once you have the Center, sub, and fronts in place, then look to upgrade the receiver before upgrading the surrounds.

for $500-$600 you can find a very good center and sub, even put together a decent 3.1 setup that you can fill in with your existing speakers.
altpensacola likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-13-2020, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Center Channel and Sub are the most important speakers. Also, an AVR with room correction does wonders. This is a slippery slope. If you are happy with what you have now, then you should stick with it until you "HAVE" to upgrade. However, again, Center and Sub is going to give you 80% of your Audio satisfaction.
Rgarc likes this.

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP, Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D
Projector-BenQ 3550 4K, Screen-110" Silver Ticket STR-169110, TV-Vizio P-65 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-14-2020, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 173
You only live once applies to home theatre too.

Music, more music.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-14-2020, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontalley View Post
Center Channel and Sub are the most important speakers. Also, an AVR with room correction does wonders. This is a slippery slope. If you are happy with what you have now, then you should stick with it until you "HAVE" to upgrade. However, again, Center and Sub is going to give you 80% of your Audio satisfaction.
I have to agree here. when in doubt don't change anything. There have been several occasions when I wanted to make an upgrade and I go back to my system to listen critically and i ended up not changing anything. I have avoided a lot of lateral changes this way.

If you have gear you like but want to improve the overall sound doing a few incremental changes like playing with the settings on the receiver or adjusting speaker angles is a good place to start and doesn't cost anything. then change a component at a time and see if you can hear the improvements. This way you can bank roll your purchases and avoid further debt. In my case Iv'e only done two AVR and one TV upgrade the past 20 years. I am finally at a point where a speaker upgrade makes sense me and I will be starting with the center speaker.
rontalley likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page