1Likes
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot

post #1 of 11 Old 02-17-2020, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Logitech Z5500 replacement

As the title says my 16 or something year old system is failing, speakers crackle etc. It's my only experience with 5.1 systems and I loved the sound quality it offered.

My budget is $500, I need Dolby Digital and DTS support for old movies and game consoles, so the receiver needs to support it. The receiver in this system seems to support what I want and Best Buy has the surround formats listed and I haven't seen another one that listed them as being supported.

I can't post links so the system is the YHT-4950UBL on Best Buys website.

Quote:
DTS, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo:6, DTS-HD, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby TrueHD
How would this compare to my current system ?

Would I be able to connect via optical as my audio connection and receive proper decoding ? The optical port says 'TV'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-17-2020, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked: 2765
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsciiAficionado View Post
As the title says my 16 or something year old system is failing, speakers crackle etc. It's my only experience with 5.1 systems and I loved the sound quality it offered.

My budget is $500, I need Dolby Digital and DTS support for old movies and game consoles, so the receiver needs to support it. The receiver in this system seems to support what I want and Best Buy has the surround formats listed and I haven't seen another one that listed them as being supported.

I can't post links so the system is the YHT-4950UBL on Best Buys website.

How would this compare to my current system ?

Would I be able to connect via optical as my audio connection and receive proper decoding ? The optical port says 'TV'

I had an older Yamaha HTiB system as my first one and it worked very well. The receiver, as it is with a lot of entry level systems, is better than the speakers but it appears that it has binding posts so you can attach almost any kind of speaker to it if you choose to upgrade your speakers down the road. It should sound much better than your old system even with the speakers that come with it.

As far as optical goes, yes. You just connect the optical out to your tv and you will get discrete 5.1 when presented from external devices or the built-in apps of your tv. However, optical out is limited to 5.1 so you won't be able to get HD Audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-MA, Atmos, etc).
Rgarc likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-20-2020, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Have you considered building your own surround sound? You could likely get a better sounding setup if you put it together yourself. I started off many years ago with a similar (older) Logitech setup and the best choice I ever made was to step into the larger speaker market. PM me if interested and I can send you a link to a full 5.1 sound system with receiver that's within your asking price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-20-2020, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I had an older Yamaha HTiB system as my first one and it worked very well. The receiver, as it is with a lot of entry level systems, is better than the speakers but it appears that it has binding posts so you can attach almost any kind of speaker to it if you choose to upgrade your speakers down the road. It should sound much better than your old system even with the speakers that come with it.

As far as optical goes, yes. You just connect the optical out to your tv and you will get discrete 5.1 when presented from external devices or the built-in apps of your tv. However, optical out is limited to 5.1 so you won't be able to get HD Audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-MA, Atmos, etc).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker84 View Post
Have you considered building your own surround sound? You could likely get a better sounding setup if you put it together yourself. I started off many years ago with a similar (older) Logitech setup and the best choice I ever made was to step into the larger speaker market. PM me if interested and I can send you a link to a full 5.1 sound system with receiver that's within your asking price.

I posted on Reddit, someone recommended these.

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-system/1.html

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...eceiver/1.html
post #5 of 11 Old 02-20-2020, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Can't PM you until I have 15 posts
post #6 of 11 Old 02-21-2020, 06:52 AM

Quote:
I posted on Reddit, someone recommended these.
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...eceiver/1.html
The receiver is the one I had actually found, and at that price it's a steal. I would buy that and use it as the brain to operate all of your devices and speakers.

For $200 the speakers you listed are okay, but due to the small speaker size I don't think you'd be seeing much of an improvement compared to the Logitech setup you previously had. In my opinion you could do much better if you wanted to spend an extra $50 and do something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HH2GINM...v_ov_lig_dp_it (center channel)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009IUIV4A...v_ov_lig_dp_it (bookshelf speakers)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002KVQBA...v_ov_lig_dp_it (subwoofer)

Total price for receiver, speakers, and sub would be around $438 + tax

The best part about going this route is you are not stuck with what you have. If you decide you want to upgrade a couple bookshelves to floorstanding speakers later on down the road you can. Or the best upgrade later on would be to get a larger and more powerful subwoofer.

Whichever route you decide on, I'd love to hear your thoughts once you have bought it and experienced it.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-21-2020, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 326
In your situation I would almost recommend you go with the Yamaha setup you indicated. The receiver is actually an RX-V385 which is an excellent entry level AVR. I would prefer it over the Denon above only because of the speaker binding posts which far more convenient and secure than the push connectors on the Denon.

So you get a good receiver that can take speaker upgrades ratter than a closed system.

the Yamaha sub is a little small but is very good for its price and I've often seen it for under $100 from different vendors from time to time.

the rest of the speakers However are small and undersized for decent HT use and Yamaha is not really known for their speakers, but at least you would have something to start with.

At the price advertised you would be paying for a good receiver and a decent starter sub while they throw in the other speakers for free.

If I were purchasing this setup I would do so with the understanding that I would need replace the speakers at some point to maximize the receiver. Or you may find that you like it and you'r done looking. Since you would have 5.1 setup you could then upgrade one or two speakers at a time and maximize the value, minimize compromise, and reduce the need to save up a huge sum of cash or go into debt to finance a major speaker purchase.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-21-2020, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The receiver is the one I had actually found, and at that price it's a steal. I would buy that and use it as the brain to operate all of your devices and speakers.

For $200 the speakers you listed are okay, but due to the small speaker size I don't think you'd be seeing much of an improvement compared to the Logitech setup you previously had. In my opinion you could do much better if you wanted to spend an extra $50 and do something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HH2GINM...v_ov_lig_dp_it (center channel)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009IUIV4A...v_ov_lig_dp_it (bookshelf speakers)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002KVQBA...v_ov_lig_dp_it (subwoofer)

Total price for receiver, speakers, and sub would be around $438 + tax

The best part about going this route is you are not stuck with what you have. If you decide you want to upgrade a couple bookshelves to floorstanding speakers later on down the road you can. Or the best upgrade later on would be to get a larger and more powerful subwoofer.

Whichever route you decide on, I'd love to hear your thoughts once you have bought it and experienced it.

Hmmm..... something aside from you tells me these are better. I'm confused as to why the sub has 2 RCA connections though.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-21-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Hmmm..... something aside from you tells me these are better. I'm confused as to why the sub has 2 RCA connections though.
Taken from the product manual for Polk's PSW 10 subwoofer:

PSW10—
NOTE: The PSW10 subwoofer does not have an LFE input. Instead, use either the
L or R Line input (another hookup option is to use a Y-split cable and connect both
L and R Line inputs). After you make this Sub Out connection, turn the "Low Pass"
filter fully clockwise. This will in effect create an LFE input
post #10 of 11 Old 02-22-2020, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Taken from the product manual for Polk's PSW 10 subwoofer:

PSW10—
NOTE: The PSW10 subwoofer does not have an LFE input. Instead, use either the
L or R Line input (another hookup option is to use a Y-split cable and connect both
L and R Line inputs). After you make this Sub Out connection, turn the "Low Pass"
filter fully clockwise. This will in effect create an LFE input

Thanks !

If I use a y-split do I still need to make the low pass change ?
post #11 of 11 Old 02-23-2020, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Thanks !

If I use a y-split do I still need to make the low pass change ?
Yes, for that sub you still need to set the low pass as instructed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page