A tale of two HTIBs (a somewhat long read) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-31-2004, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well this is a tale that started out happy, turned into somewhat of a tragedy and in the end turned out happy for everyone.

I was looking for an HTIB for the small living room we have, nothing too special, (plus the SO wasn't going to allow any significant cash to be spent) just something to make movie watching a little more fun.

Well I found a system that another friend has and that I though sounded nice so I went ahead and ordered it from an Internet electronics reseller. Rubbing my hands together in excitement and anticipation I would check the tracking information on a daily basis watching the HTIB get closer and and closer........and then basically pass by and be sent to the wrong distribution center. :eek:

At this point I started to get a little ESP/Spidey Sense tingle and I asked the receptionist here at work to not sign for this package if it looks abused in any way. (this will come into play a bit later)

Well after 10 days of waiting for this package to arrive from the NEXT STATE over I get the call from reception that I have a package in the mail room.. Wooo Hoooo!! Well I go look at it and one end has what appears to be a puncture wound which has then caused a split to form in the box from top to bottom..:mad:

It turns out that the receptionist I talked to had gone to lunch and her temporary replacement didn't even bother to look at the item for damage before signing. *sigh* Well maybe there is no damage. I first called the company I purchased the HTIB from and told them what I saw and asked what should I do. I was told to go ahead and open the box and if there is a problem they will take care of it.

I take the HTIB home and run (well run is a relative term with a 75lb box) into the house and crack it open. :( The side where the box was punctured was the side that held the receiver which had a 4" long dent that ran vertical (almost from top to bottom) on it's right side as well as a bunch of scuff/paint marks of some sort.

My worst fears had come true. I had a strange feeling something like this was going to happen. Well my excitement disappeared in puff of smoke. I called them back and told them that it was delivered damaged and they said they would open a claim with the shipper and get back to me but they did say it could take up to 4 weeks and that I could get a refund or a re-ship after the claim was processed.

Another :(

In the meantime I decided not to wait and to get something different from another company (which I made sure used a different shipping company ;) ). I had thought of waiting for the claim to go through before I did anything but I decided I was going to get a refund instead of waiting for the shipping company they use to damage another HTIB for me. The new HTIB showed up in 5 days and was in perfect condition!!!! I took it home, set it up and impressed the SO as well as myself by it's coolness. :cool: I can only imagine what it must be like to have a REAL Home Theater but for now I am very happy.

Well, now comes the interesting part. I had always assumed that the shipping company would come out to inspect and or collect the HTIB that was delivered damaged and I thought that my refund/reship would hinge on that. After a few weeks of me calling the electronics company stating that no one has come to pick it up or look at it I am finally told that "well if the claim goes through and the shipping company has not come to claim it, then it is yours to do whatever you want with..."

:eek: Really?!

I was a bit shocked by this but at the same time a little excited... Could it be, would I end up with TWO HTIBs for the price of one?? I was not about to pay for a damaged unit but for free even if the receiver didn't work I would at least have a set of speakers and sub.

Well time went by and after a little over 4 weeks I got an email that the claim had been processed and I should see my refund on the credit card in a couple of days. BINGO.. the credit was applied and no one had called or come by to get the HTIB (which has been sitting in my office waiting for them to come get it). The shipper even has a driver that makes almost daily stops to my office building but nothing... no one has come for it.

:D

Needless to say I was very happy that it turned out this way after starting so badly. I took the 1st HTIB home and cracked the case on the receiver. The dent was only superficial and had no effect on the function of the receiver itself (which was also a 5 disc changer) and it worked perfectly!

The next question was what to do with it. I thought about using it in our yearly family Yankee swap at Xmas (the gifts are supposed to be appx. $15.00) which would have been hilarious but I thought it could also cause a lot of problems. ;) Of course I thought of selling to so as to basically get an HTIB for free but in the end I gave it to a cousin who also is a huge movie buff and who sort of slapped his own HT together with old stereo speakers and no sub. He was extremely happy and I felt really good about the whole thing.

It was an interesting experience and I never though anything like this would happen or that it would end this way. I guess the value of the HTIB was not worth it for the shipper to bother with.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-01-2004, 05:56 PM

Its great to hear a happy story.

Xbox Live ID: Livecrazy Joe
post #3 of 7 Old 04-04-2004, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Heh. I like it! :)

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-11-2004, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
you got lucky. usually there would be a long blame game and the consumer usually looses especially if the package was signed for.

Strong or weak in the end we are all dead
post #5 of 7 Old 04-11-2004, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

It's funny how that works out....I had a similar story only with something a little more substantial. Allow me to share...

I went out shopping for my first big screen CRT RPTV about 5 years or so ago when HD sets were still way out of my price range so I went with a top of the line Sony 61" with a line doubler and everything that makes an RPTV good. I went to the store that had it, negotiated a price and told them I would have to ask the SO about it later and would be back. This got me an extra 300 off the price. I got the SO and took her to the store so she could she if for herself and she gave me the go ahead...oh happy day. We set up our payment plan and set up the delivery date, plus we got the extended warranty(which plays out well later on).

The delivery date comes and the two guys deliver my 450 pound monstrosity in my living room and I get to setting it up. I'm loving life and everything is great....until I notice that one of the guns is off alignment. I call the store and they make an appointment for a tech to come out the next day. He shows up and says the circuit board that controls the auto alignment mechanism is bad and will have to be replaced. Iask how long and he says about 2 weeks at minimum. Now, normally I would be quite upset but I remember that the extended warranty states that any malfunction that cannot be fixed within 7 days warrants an immediate replacement.

It took me several days of calling the store who wanted Sony to cover the replacement; and calling Sony who wanted the store to send a new one over. After getting a little irritated and telling Sony that the warranty states I get a new one if mine can't be fixed in 7 days and I expect a new one soon. They finally agree and tell me a new one is on the way. About a week goes by and I've got the old set in the garage when the delivery truck shows up with my new set. This is one guy in a truck who says he is not allowed to bring the set in or do any unboxing or setting up, he is just there to deliver it. So he uses the jack to lift the pallet and sets it in the garage has me sign the paperwork and is about to leave when I ask about the other one and he says he is not equipped to pick the other one up and it's not his problem.

At the same time I'm thinking "how the hell is one guy going to take a 450# tv away?" So he gets in his truck and drives away all the while I'm like WTF? This thing is going to take up so much room in my house that I want it gone. So, nothing happens for 6 months and this thing is just sitting there in the way and I tell my father in law that if he wants it he can have it. It takes him about 6 more months before he arranges a trip out to see with a trailer and he takes the thing home. About 1 year later he tells me he had a tech out to fix it and it will cost about 400 dollars. He pays the guy and for 400 dollars he now has a set worth 4500 when it was new. I still think how great Sony must be that they can just a let a top of the line RPTV just disappear and nobody come look for it.

Sorry for the long reply but just thought you would appreciate that story since you have run into the same thing.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-12-2004, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by YeuEmMaiMai
you got lucky. usually there would be a long blame game and the consumer usually looses especially if the package was signed for.

Yep, that is what I thought was going to happen and it was also why I kept calling them every day to find out what the status of the claim was.
I was very pleasantly surprised thankfully. :cool:

HOLY COW Jeff, sometimes it is nice when things like $4500 televisions fall through the cracks like that...

post #7 of 7 Old 04-12-2004, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, sometimes good things happen to bad people :) The worst part is, I looked at the invoice the second guy gave me and it had EXCHANGE printed in bold letters all over the place, but he didn't want anything to do with it. He was just a third party shipper. Amazing(shakes head).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page