HTIB with a Plasma tv? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-13-2004, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello!

I was just wondering how many others have paired a plasma with a HTIB.

I have the Panny HT-900 HTIB on order to be paired with the TH50PX20UP Panny Plasma, and I was wondering how that works for a true "home theatre" presentation?

I am having sparse second thoughts about the HTIB, deciding whether I should have just built the HT piece by piece instead of taking the "easy" way out.

I am not a true audiophile, and just want to be able to have a nice theatre like setting in a semi-dedicated room (DVD viewing only on this screen).

Any thoughts?

--LVM

Edited to Add Update: Because of knowledgable posts on this great forum, I have cancelled the HT-900 HTIB package. Am currently researching other HTIB options.

Of course, this is just my opinion, and I could be wrong. -- Dennis Miller

My DVD Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-13-2004, 10:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
There may be some issues with the HT-900 you need to be aware of...

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/3/11832.html

If you decide to look into slightly more $ bundled packages (since you are having second thoughts) you may want to consider something like this:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...rs-3-2004.html

There are bundled packages including Denon electronics, as well. And rosewood versions of the Center coming out soon.

Nice Plasma, BTW.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-14-2004, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by LasVegasMichael
Hello!

I was just wondering how many others have paired a plasma with a HTIB.

I have the Panny HT-900 HTIB on order to be paired with the TH50PX20UP Panny Plasma, and I was wondering how that works for a true "home theatre" presentation?

I am having sparse second thoughts about the HTIB, deciding whether I should have just built the HT piece by piece instead of taking the "easy" way out.

I am not a true audiophile, and just want to be able to have a nice theatre like setting in a semi-dedicated room (DVD viewing only on this screen).

Any thoughts?

--LVM
IMO, an HTIB can be a good choice for your application. Generally, the speakers are attractive, not bulky and integrate well in a room, especially if you are doing a flat mount installation. There are lots of options but I would key in on the top tier systems ($1000 MSRP) from the likes of Pioneer, Panasonic, JVC and Samsung. And, maybe Sony. Onkyo's tend to sound great but are bulky. I am an audiophile and think a $500 MSRP setup won't deliver the goods to mate with a $5000+ display.

Your other choices would be a Bose rig (nice package, not the best value) or maybe something like this
http://www.roundsound.com/hometheatersystem.html mated with a DVD/ receiver from the likes of Onkyo or NAD. It will cost a bit more ($1500 or so) but should outperform any HTIB.

Good luck
Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-14-2004, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Brucer and Wayne: Thank you for your responses!

Whoa! That acoustical link sealed my decision to return the HT900.

Looks like I will be reopening my investigative research to finding a better product.

Thanks for the kind words on my plasma! I am really excited about it. It is delivering in a few hours, actually. At least it includes some speakers so I will have some sound before getting the HT setup.

Will definately check out all your links.

My DVD Collection
post #5 of 10 Old 04-14-2004, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

I'm now looking into Denon DHT-684DVD and JVC TH-M65 , with MSRP around $900-$999, will definately update as I go.

Thanks again!

My DVD Collection
post #6 of 10 Old 04-14-2004, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LasVegasMichael
I'm now looking into Denon DHT-684DVD and JVC TH-M65 , with MSRP around $900-$999, will definately update as I go.

Thanks again!
Happy to help. Denon is a good brand, too. Have fun with your new plasma. You are going to love it.

Wayne
post #7 of 10 Old 04-14-2004, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If style/size and price are of concern consider the Micra 6 package (~$500) from Athena Technologies. Small, wall-mountable speakers that score (IMO) fairly high on style. It is not a true HTiB, but all 5 speakers and the subwoofer are included. Also, I believe Gateway, yes Gateway, sells an HSU based system...not sure if it's a HTiB, but HSU has a good rep around here. Good luck.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-14-2004, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I paired my 42" Panny Plasma (TH-42XP20) with a Denon HTIB (ADV-1000) in my bedroom. It works out quite well and the sound is good. It isn't the same as the living room which has a 65" Mits RPTV, B&K AVR-307, and Martin Logan Aeon-i/Fresco/Cinema-i/Descent speakers; but it cost a lot less than the living room also.

Mark
post #9 of 10 Old 04-15-2004, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mhe4
...It isn't the same as the living room which has a 65" Mits RPTV, B&K AVR-307, and Martin Logan Aeon-i/Fresco/Cinema-i/Descent speakers; but it cost a lot less than the living room also.
(off topic)

Just curious... how do you like the way your AVR handles the ML's in the big room? The ML's have been on my consideration list for some time and I'm currently using a Pioneer Elite VSX47.

Wayne
post #10 of 10 Old 04-15-2004, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

TV came yesterday and purchased the Denon DHT-684DVD (MSRP $849) from a local authorized retailer (Ken Crane's). The Denon HTIB was pretty hard to find! No good guys had it, and Ken Cranes only had one.

In the process of doing a "dummy" setup right now, as we are in our apartment still, and will not be moving into our new house for a few weeks, so everything is a little cramped.

So far, the Denon DHT-684DVD is pretty impressive for a value sysatem, and certainly looks a heck of a lot better then the Panny HT900 (granted, the cost tells you why).

Thanks again everyone!

My DVD Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page