SLS - Q-Line Gold 650W Home Theater System - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 595 Old 07-29-2006, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i was wondering myself if one could use standard stands for those sls speaks...or perhaps wall-mount them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 595 Old 07-29-2006, 11:53 AM

They have slots for the provided stands on all four sides so you can mount them horizontally or vertically as well as key holes so you can mount them to a wall. At 6 lbs I would suggest finding a stud to bolt them to. I imagine you could use a universal wall mount but not 100% sure.
post #33 of 595 Old 07-29-2006, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Any idea what DVD player comes with the Q-Gold package? Is it also a Sherwood?

Rajiv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 595 Old 07-31-2006, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss27 View Post

They have slots for the provided stands on all four sides so you can mount them horizontally or vertically as well as key holes so you can mount them to a wall. At 6 lbs I would suggest finding a stud to bolt them to. I imagine you could use a universal wall mount but not 100% sure.

Hoss -

I haven't been on the board for a while and I'm very surprised at your earlier comments. You must have had a setup problem to get the symptoms you describe. I'll assume that your DTS source was connected via digital but there is a common problem that occurs when a DTS signal is selected on the DVD and the connection from the DVD to the receiver is analog. Maybe you connected the DVD both analog and digital and it was sending the DTS through the analog by default? You have to set the receiver to "auto" if you want it to sense the digital vs. analog signal. It's best to only use a digital connection from the DVD to the receiver.

As for the sub, did you run through the balancing/speaker levels routine using the supplied microphone? I set the sub at +/- 50% gain and then ran the speaker balancing. It sounded fine. This could be a musical taste issue as a lot of people like very heavy bass in their sound whereas I'd rather hear balanced, as the producer intended bass. Room placement can have a huge effect on sub performance as well.

I don't know about the video processing issue you describe but you can run it directly to the TV. I have had setups that way several times.

Sorry it didn't work out for you but it sounds like you have been listening to some other equipment that may not have been as good. If you are looking for "bright" sounding high end, that is actually one of the problems the SLS ribbon drivers address. Most lower cost speakers are extremely and overly bright at the high end; to the point of borderline distortion. Again, it could be a musical taste thing also. I prefer accurate and balanced not overly "bright." Maybe you are used to bright sounding speakers and the corrected sound struck you as different?

To all others as well, I'll try to keep up with this thread and the other SLS threads and answer questions whenever I can.

P.S. I have the SLS Gold speakers on stands that place them at ear level when seated and on an even plane with the center channel. The surrounds are placed on the same stands so all 5 are at the same height. I did keep the included (quite heavy duty) stands on them as well because by design, those stands isolate the speakers from wherever they are set.

-SLSA

Edit: Note, since I have been asked twice now, no, I do not work for SLS. I have no affiliation with them. I own a small amount of their stock, (which is what led me to buy the Gold in the first place), but not enough to make posting inflated or misleading info worth it...
post #35 of 595 Old 08-02-2006, 06:57 PM

Anyone else have any thoughts on this system? I'm looking to buy this weekend and was considering the Denon S101 also. My Sammy is black and I'd like to keep the theme going, that and the fact that the 101 is $150 more leads me here. I'll get a dedicated audio system once I get a house. In the meantime I need a system to get me by till then. Any help would be appreciated.
post #36 of 595 Old 08-02-2006, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamdog View Post

Anyone else have any thoughts on this system? I'm looking to buy this weekend and was considering the Denon S101 also. My Sammy is black and I'd like to keep the theme going, that and the fact that the 101 is $150 more leads me here. I'll get a dedicated audio system once I get a house. In the meantime I need a system to get me by till then. Any help would be appreciated.

just purchased yesterday for a friday delivery; can't say much yet.
post #37 of 595 Old 08-02-2006, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregis View Post

just purchased yesterday for a friday delivery; can't say much yet.

I'd be interested in your opinion once you set it up. I have a 10% off card good Fri-Sun. at BB. I plan on buying this weekend as $50 is $50. If you have time to post your initial impressions, I'd appreciate that. I really want to keep the black theme going in my LR, and so far, the SLS Gold is the only HTIB that's trippin my trigger.
post #38 of 595 Old 08-03-2006, 07:03 AM

Quote:

I'd be interested in your opinion once you set it up. I have a 10% off card good Fri-Sun. at BB. I plan on buying this weekend as $50 is $50. If you have time to post your initial impressions, I'd appreciate that. I really want to keep the black theme going in my LR, and so far, the SLS Gold is the only HTIB that's trippin my trigger.

unfortunately, i won't have it set up till early next week. i too wanted the black color, and speakers a cut or 2 above the rest.
post #39 of 595 Old 08-03-2006, 10:23 AM

SLSA,

Let's see if we can figure this out. I don't think it was an analog problem with the DTS. The only cables even coming out of the DVD were a set of components that went directly to the TV, and a fiber optic cable. It was a cheap one though, $15 phillips at wally world, maybe that made a difference? Although it never screwed up playing cd's, regular dolby digital, or anything else. I am thinking, although I am far from any sort of expert, that somehow DTS is maybe more demanding on the speakers/crossovers?? None the less, like I stated earlier, the problem moved with the speaker. I moved the "center" channel to the FR output and the FR speaker to the center output, specifically to see if it was the signal or the speaker, and the problem stayed with the speaker and moved to the FR position. If that was the only problem I would have just gotten a new speaker. I did use the supplied mic to set up the surround. There was no problem there except for my limitations on speaker placement. Which obviously isn't SLS's fault.

As for what I have been listening too. I have to be honest. I don't listen to much except movies. I listen to the radio in the car, and own maybe a dozen cd's I have collected over the last decade or so. I've bought more I just have no idea where they are, if that tells you anything about my listening habits. I am definitely not one to look to for musical advice. I did note however that the SLS speakers were much more detailed than any other speaker that I listened to for any extended period of time. For a lot of sounds they made it feel like you were in the room with the instrument. The acoustic guitar for example, you could hear every string being played, reminding me of an old friend that played. The experience made it feel like he was there in the room with me. The air coming out of the sax instead of just a note made it feel like I was next to the player. This is what I mean by detail, not sure if it is the audiophiles definition or not.

The brightness, or lack thereof, was a strange jump for me. As I stated before though, I didn't know if this was supposed to be this way or if the receiver may have had other problems leaving out the higher ranges. Although I never could identify anything "natural" missing. Best way I could describe it is it seemed when I listened to music the highest cymbols *sp??* were missing. Yet in movies like "The Musketeer" you could clearly hear the swords dragging along each other up to the highest pitches as if you were there.

The main reason I took it back was ultimately because of the receiver, not the speakers, which I don't feel is really SLS's fault. Except maybe they could pair a great set of speakers with a better receiver. The video problems were very annoying. Maybe it had something to do with converting the satellite signal from s-video to component? The sub was lacking what I call punch, I could hear the bass but I couldn't feel it. But what do you expect from an 8? I don't like bloated bass or anything, but I do like to feel a little at volume.

In the end I was left with mixed feelings. I am anxiously looking forward to the next version, maybe drop the DVD player, rebadge a better quality receiver and a little bigger sub? I would definitely give it another go at the same price I paid. Maybe rebadge the Oppo, bring the price up a little and call it the platinum. I would pay an extra 100-150 for it then.

For the record I don't think I am going to go with the Onkyo either.
post #40 of 595 Old 08-03-2006, 10:33 AM

I should note the problem with the speaker popping was not as prevalent when I upgraded to 16g copper wire from the 18g aluminum wire.
post #41 of 595 Old 08-04-2006, 09:22 AM

Screw it...I just ordered a Q-line Gold from BB. It's ready for pickup, but I have grass to cut first. I'll pick it up later and set it up tonight. I hope I didn't make a mistake with this system.
post #42 of 595 Old 08-04-2006, 09:31 AM

Quote:

Screw it...I just ordered a Q-line Gold from BB. It's ready for pickup, but I have grass to cut first. I'll pick it up later and set it up tonight. I hope I didn't make a mistake with this system.

sometimes you just have to say: wtf? mine's in the mail. hope u have help moving that- it's in a huge box, and weighs 130 lbs!
post #43 of 595 Old 08-04-2006, 09:56 AM

swamdog,
If you feel it was a mistake the only thing you will have lost is some time. After all BB does have a good return policy. Had mine for a week and they didn't give any crap about bringing it back.

The box is pretty big, the equipment is efficiently and well packed. I needed a dolly to get mine upstairs and into the apt.
post #44 of 595 Old 08-04-2006, 03:48 PM

Yeah...I've seen the box and I live on the 3rd floor. I'll get someone to help carry this puppy up the stairs. If I can't find anyone, I'll do the unpack in the back of my GTI and carry it up piece by piece.
post #45 of 595 Old 08-04-2006, 09:09 PM

I had to opt for the latter and I'm wore out. If the weight of the system has any bearing on the sound, I'll be happy. I'm pretty tired so I'll post my opinion of the system in a day or two. Thanks for all the info regarding the SLS Q-Line Gold.
post #46 of 595 Old 08-05-2006, 06:04 AM

thing's a monster! look forward to any commentary.
post #47 of 595 Old 08-08-2006, 09:24 AM

I just finished hooking my Q-Line Gold up yesterday, and I must say I love it! The sound from these speakers is so pure. Even at very loud volume levels, there isn't the faintest bit of hiss or distortion. I was worried about the sub being too small for deep bass, but after watching the opening scene from Star Wars Episode III, my fears are alleviated. My wife called me a nerd when she saw my look of total joy when the THX logo erupted. Now I just need to find a way to make the OSD display on all inputs. I'm awaiting cables from monoprice that should help me out there. I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

I tested many HTiBs in various stores, and what this setup may lack in features (HDMI, DVD upconversion) it more than makes up for in sound quality. Sure, I could have spent twice to four times what I paid for this setup to try to piece together a system with those missing features, but for the money, I don't think you can go wrong with this system. By trying to save a few hundred bucks on a Yamaha or Onkyo, which btw were on my short list, you will get what you pay for. Of course higher-end Yamaha, Denon, and Onkyo receivers are great, but I didn't want to pay $1000 for just the receiver and then have to pay big bucks for each speaker. For a budget that is $500 or less for a home theater sound system, I haven't heard anything that comes close to SLS.

Hoss27, you obviously got a defective system. I would definitely recommend exchanging it and trying another. Good luck whichever way you go.
post #48 of 595 Old 08-08-2006, 12:05 PM

Silverserver,
Mine was defective, only reason I returned it instead of exchanged it is that I wasn't sure there would be enough improvement to make me happy. What's funny is I went to BB last night to play with the Insignia speakers everybody is raving about and stopped to play with the SLS on display. Even sitting in the middle of BB with all the noise the speakers sounded much better than the ones I got. The sub seemed louder, but it was also blown so I ended up turning that down/off to listen to the speakers by themselves. They shined much more than the set I had, making me wonder if I just hadn't broken them in AND/OR the receiver was REALLY screwed up in my box.
post #49 of 595 Old 08-08-2006, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 34
"...The System, which is available at Best Buy for $799, was dubbed 'the latest advancement in sound since the stereo,' by Mr. Jones..."

Me personally? I would be very leary of something that debuted 3 months ago for $799 and is now selling for $549 at Best Buy of all places (not known for their prices). Also, the quote from Q. Jones would make me run away as well.

http://www.slsloudspeakers.com/content/view/203/89

Kipa
post #50 of 595 Old 08-09-2006, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipa View Post

Me personally? I would be very leary of something that debuted 3 months ago for $799 and is now selling for $549 at Best Buy of all places (not known for their prices).

Kipa

The price drop is probably due to not many of these systems selling because of lack of brand recognition. That will soon change though. I applaud companies like SLS and Westinghouse Digital that can release a product which can compete with the big name brands for usually half the price. Samsung, Sony, Yamaha, and Onkyo to name a few have similar offerings for usually twice the price, but half the performance/features. So many people have the need to see that well-known brand name on their electronics, even if the product sells for twice what it is worth. Usually what happens though is once a company is well established, they start trimming features and quality in the name of shaving off the bottom line. Onkyo comes to mind lately.

Anyway, watched V for Vendetta last night (great movie, btw) and I am super impressed by this system. Dialog, explosions, gunshots, everything sounded phenomenal. I just hope the neighbors have thick, well insulated walls!
post #51 of 595 Old 08-10-2006, 10:36 PM

Could anyone tell me if there are any compatible reasonably priced speaker stands for these speakers? Wall mounting isn't an option in my apartment. Would really appreciate it if anyone can recommend some stand sets.

Thanks,
post #52 of 595 Old 08-11-2006, 05:17 PM

i'd be interested in any suggestions on stands as well. just starting to put mine together...if i can figure out what cables to use! the sls people have been helpful in the past...i'll run the stand question by them.
post #53 of 595 Old 08-12-2006, 06:41 AM

>>>if i can figure out what cables to use!<<<<br />
sregis,

The cables are color coded.

hth, Bob
post #54 of 595 Old 08-12-2006, 07:07 AM

bob- i mean the components and coaxial digital audio cables. i'm of a generation of: wind + and - speaker wire around posts and plug the freaking thing in. it's beyond me how the industry expects anyone w/out an electrical engineering degree to put this ****e together.
post #55 of 595 Old 08-12-2006, 07:46 AM

sregis,

I know exacty what you are talking about!

If this helps, the only things I have coming into my SLS receiver are an Optical Audio cable from the DISH receiver and a Coax Audio cable from my Pioneer DVR-640H.

Good luck,

Bob
post #56 of 595 Old 08-12-2006, 09:27 AM

bob- working w/ a guy at sls who's getting me going w/ 3 component and two coax digital audio cables. i'm at somewhat of a loss as to how and why, but i'm just following directions. this is the thing- until one can somehow get up to speed, you're totally at their mercy. i suppose one can simplify w/ a single HTIB system (sorry peep, the sound simply sucks). not at all knocking sls, but this transitional experience from stereo to surround has been highly frustrating and often humiliating.
post #57 of 595 Old 08-12-2006, 04:40 PM

Liked: 14
I was looking at one of these at BB just hours ago. The one thing that I didn't like was I it didnt seem to have a DVi or HDMI output for my display for the DVD player.

Oh, well maybe it will soon come. Then again I didnt get a real good look, nayby it is there.
post #58 of 595 Old 08-12-2006, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregis View Post

bob- working w/ a guy at sls who's getting me going w/ 3 component and two coax digital audio cables. i'm at somewhat of a loss as to how and why, but i'm just following directions. this is the thing- until one can somehow get up to speed, you're totally at their mercy. i suppose one can simplify w/ a single HTIB system (sorry peep, the sound simply sucks). not at all knocking sls, but this transitional experience from stereo to surround has been highly frustrating and often humiliating.

I struggled with mine for a few days, now I have a super clean setup. I have a Motorola HD cable box and 2 HDMI inputs on my Sammy. I bought a DVI to HDMI cable and connected it from the cable box to the TV. I bought 2 optical cables and connected one from the cable box to optical 1 on the SLS receiver, the other went from the DVD player to the optical 2 on the receiver. Those are the only cables I have coming off the receiver. I finished it of with a set of component cables from the DVD player to the TV. I have this huge pile of cables that I no longer need and I'm diggin that. Good luck.
post #59 of 595 Old 08-13-2006, 06:20 PM

guy @ sls e-mailed me suggesting i use 2 dig audio coax's...i understand one between the dvd and receiver, but where would the other go between??
post #60 of 595 Old 08-13-2006, 07:13 PM

If your talking optical cables, from the cable box to the receiver. If your setup is anything like mine, follow the above instructions. You have to switch between audio and video as well as digital inputs via the receiver. I hope you get it figured out as this system is badass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page