SLS - Q-Line Gold 650W Home Theater System - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 595 Old 08-14-2006, 06:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamdog View Post

If your talking optical cables, from the cable box to the receiver. If your setup is anything like mine, follow the above instructions. You have to switch between audio and video as well as digital inputs via the receiver. I hope you get it figured out as this system is badass.

no, he wanted me to buy 2 digital AUDIO coax cables...also, i'm not seeing any coax capability on my cable box...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 595 Old 08-14-2006, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I recommended this system to a friend as a htib solution. I am familiar with SLS's commercial grade, home speakers and sound quality so it was a no brainer. He bought it from BB this past sunday, and that afternoon I hooked it up for him. I knew the system would sound good, but I had no idea it was going to sound this good! It looks like SLS didn't cheap out this system because of mass production. As with any speaker, placement is key so measure, install, and test. The mic does an excellent job of calibrating once this has been done (follow the tripod advice if possible). I set the feature rich receivers cut off to 70hz, and for reference we watched a few movies with well mixed DD/DTS tracks (I,Robot, House of Flying Daggers, Behind Enemy Lines, U-571, Batman Begins, etc.). For an 8" 100 watt subwoofer, it handled all of the movies quite well. The audio separation and clarity from the mains and sats was outstanding, and the dual 4" woven woofers could actually go pretty low on their own (all things considering). But what had me almost dumbfounded was when I decided to play a few audio CD's by Vanessa Mae. I could practically see her hitting each individual string on her violin, and place the other orchestra members locations . This surely is not a typical $500 htib (with ribbon drivers too). Oh and by the way, Quincy Jones used SLS speakers in his studios well before they decided to partner (not the Q-Line obviously), so it's very believable that he would help develope this system. I think I was more happy than my friend was after playing with this thing. So..now I'm also going to have to recommend this system to friends over every other htib that Best Buy/CC sells (even the denon). So (general public) don't write off this system because you or employees have not heard of the company prior. This is one of the biggest bargains in brick and mortar htib.
post #63 of 595 Old 08-14-2006, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregis View Post

no, he wanted me to buy 2 digital AUDIO coax cables...also, i'm not seeing any coax capability on my cable box...

Does your cable box have optical audio out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 595 Old 08-15-2006, 04:33 AM

Hey SLSA...Any possibility of posting a pic or link to the speaker stands you are using? I haven't found any that fit the speakers very well. I may just wall mount mine as I need to get my LR back in order soon.
post #65 of 595 Old 08-15-2006, 05:22 AM

[IMG][/IMG]
post #66 of 595 Old 08-15-2006, 07:02 AM
b4z
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Apparently they no longer sell the silver line series and
neither offers a HDMI for the dvd player.
I have some friends who have told this system about and they do not want black speakers in theirroom.
post #67 of 595 Old 08-15-2006, 07:32 AM

b4z,

The Q-Line Silver is still available:

http://www.buysls.com/catalog/products_new.php

The price seems to have gone up a bit, though.

I'm not sure if it is available anywhere else other than buysls.

Bob
post #68 of 595 Old 08-15-2006, 08:38 AM

Just set mine up last night, took about 30 mins. Didn't get a chance to test out dvds yet, but did try about every genre of music cds out there. The speaker set is awesome. Such crisp and clear sounds without any distortion (too late at night to blast it all the way up though).
The only negative from this package is the dvd player since it doesn't have hdmi, but that's not a big deal since decent upconverting players are so cheap nowadays.

Slsadvocate, do those stands lock into the speakers or you simply placed the speakers on top? I'm afraid of accidentally knocking the speakers over or a tug at the wires. Appreciate any advice you might have on a set of 4 stands.
post #69 of 595 Old 08-15-2006, 09:11 AM

They are just sitting on top right now and could be easily knocked over/off. The set up is temporary as I am moving soon. I could attach them but won't go through the trouble for now. I'm not sure how I'll use them at the new place. I may mount them. The SLS speakers don't fit perfectly but it's the right height and I had the stands around so I used them. They look ok...

The stands are actually old Premier T70 model stands marketed by Paradigm and apparently still available. I used to carry them in my store, back in the day...

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/News...Downloads.html
post #70 of 595 Old 08-15-2006, 12:54 PM

couple q-gold questions:

is it best to keep the receiver on standby?

can one control the subwoofer w/ the remote?
post #71 of 595 Old 08-15-2006, 01:22 PM

Quote:

couple q-gold questions:

is it best to keep the receiver on standby?

can one control the subwoofer w/ the remote?

1. Yes.

2. Yes. Sort of. Not the subwoofer itself, but the levels coming from the receiver to the sub. You can raise or lower the sub level as driven by the receiver, from the remote. When the receiver is running and the remote in audio control mode, you press the small round button located toward top center "ChSel." It says "T/V" on the button itself. Immediately to the left are Ch/Level Up-Dn buttons. When you press the CHSel the display will show "User 0." Continue pressing the ChSel and it cycles through all the active speaker channels depending on which mode you are in. If you are Stereo, there are 3 (L,R, Sub), in digital or DSP modes there are 5 (L, C, R, SR, SL, Sub). Stop on the channel you want to change. Use the adjacent CH/Level buttons to raise and lower the selected channel level.
post #72 of 595 Old 08-16-2006, 07:18 AM

thanks sls. also re the sub woof, i notice as long as the receiver's on "standby", the sub light stays on. other than continually, manually, turning it off, is there a way to get that off? or even better, 86 the blue all together?
post #73 of 595 Old 08-16-2006, 07:53 AM

Quote:

thanks sls. also re the sub woof, i notice as long as the receiver's on "standby", the sub light stays on. other than continually, manually, turning it off, is there a way to get that off? or even better, 86 the blue all together?

The blue light is lit at a lower brightness when the sub is on standby regardless of the state of the receiver. It gets brighter when the sub is active. I know of no way to get rid of it completely but you can plug the sub into the switched outlet on the receiver and it would be off when the receiver is on standby or off.
post #74 of 595 Old 08-16-2006, 07:59 AM

Mine had an "auto" setting on the back that turned it off automatically when there was no music going through the sub.
post #75 of 595 Old 08-16-2006, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss27 View Post

Mine had an "auto" setting on the back that turned it off automatically when there was no music going through the sub.

tried that. as long as there's power to the amp, that freakin light's on.
post #76 of 595 Old 08-16-2006, 09:38 AM

on another point, might someone suggest a good, simple, universal that could operate my tv and q-gold setup?
post #77 of 595 Old 08-28-2006, 08:45 PM

sregis,

I'm not sure if it'll work, but I'd guess that it will...have you tried the Harmony 659? If not, I'd at least give it a shot. (A certain big box store with a big yellow tag in its logo) has some coupons out there that might knock the price down a notch or two, and I'd guess that it'll do the trick once you've programmed it. Just a little advice from the peanut gallery.

Now...could one of you Q-Line owners be a friend and snap a picture or two of the BACK of the speakers and post 'em up, or send them to me? rroossinck at googlemail (abbreviate it...you know what I mean).

I'm about 90% there on convincing the wifey dearest that this is the way to go...just need to find a way to put these things on the stands that we've already got.

Cross your fingers, kids, the Sony Dream DAV-C770 may be history yet, and the HP PL-4260N might actually get a system that'll make it happy(er)!
post #78 of 595 Old 08-29-2006, 09:49 AM

sregis,

This remote works well for me:

http://www.remotecentral.com/mx500/index.html

Others may have recommendations as well.

hth, Bob
post #79 of 595 Old 08-31-2006, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anybody just buy this HTIB set just for the speakers alone?

Would like to use it with the receiver and dvd player I already own. Am I crazy? Are the speakers alone worth the $500 price tag?

Any feedback?

Thanks, Pete

Baby, remember...It's my life and I'll do what I want!
post #80 of 595 Old 08-31-2006, 10:36 AM

Would there be any issues with the speakers being six ohm speakers as opposed to the typical 4 or 8? Does that present a problem for any receivers?

I'm planning on purchasing one on Saturday, and down the road when funds and/or the need is available, I'll be stepping up receivers.
post #81 of 595 Old 08-31-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGTI View Post

Would there be any issues with the speakers being six ohm speakers as opposed to the typical 4 or 8? Does that present a problem for any receivers?

I'm planning on purchasing one on Saturday, and down the road when funds and/or the need is available, I'll be stepping up receivers.

The SLS speakers are labeled 4 ohm. The SLS/Sherwood receiver indicates 6 ohm.
post #82 of 595 Old 08-31-2006, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardballpete View Post

Anybody just buy this HTIB set just for the speakers alone?

Would like to use it with the receiver and dvd player I already own. Am I crazy? Are the speakers alone worth the $500 price tag?

Any feedback?

Thanks, Pete

They are close to worth it, IMO. As I mentioned to FlyGTI, the speakers are labeled 4 ohm. Keep that in mind when selecting a receiver.
post #83 of 595 Old 08-31-2006, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm using a Panasonic digital amp, the sa-xr50. I'm no audio expert. Having 4 ohm speakers requires more power? The SLS website says the sats are 6 ohm by the way.

What are the ramifications of the SLS being 4 or 6 ohm with my receiver?

Thanks SLSAdvocate.

Baby, remember...It's my life and I'll do what I want!
post #84 of 595 Old 09-01-2006, 10:03 AM

With the Q-Gold receiver is it true that one cannot swith between digital inputs using the remote? From what I have read it seems that the digital inputs can only be switched at the receiver. Knid of a PITA if true as I do switch frequently between DVD and DVR which both use digital inputs. Any work arounds for this?

Aside from the above issue is anyone controling the Q-Gold with a Logitech Harmony 880?

Thanks,
Jondav11801
post #85 of 595 Old 09-02-2006, 05:11 PM

Jondav, I'll be controlling with a Harmony 659 by the end of the night.
post #86 of 595 Old 09-03-2006, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGTI View Post

Jondav, I'll be controlling with a Harmony 659 by the end of the night.

Great to hear that. Let me know how it works out. This is the only thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger on this purchase. Well that and figuring out how to get the beast into my car and up to my fourth floor condo.
post #87 of 595 Old 09-03-2006, 11:49 AM

Seems to work just fine, although I'm still trying to determine whether or not there's a way to make the optical signal recognize via remote. I may be calling Logitech today to see if there's a way to input a custom command. Otherwise, it works great!
post #88 of 595 Old 09-03-2006, 03:35 PM

Oh, and by the way...when I picked this up on Friday night, I had to tear the box apart so I could fit in the trunk.

Glad I did, though.
post #89 of 595 Old 09-04-2006, 08:43 AM

FlyGTI,
Thanks for the info. So, just to confirm, it is true that the digital inputs cannot be switched via remote. If I wanted to switch from DVD to STB (both using digital inputs) I would have to get up and walk over to the receiver. Is this correct?

Jondav11801
post #90 of 595 Old 09-04-2006, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondav11801 View Post

FlyGTI,
Thanks for the info. So, just to confirm, it is true that the digital inputs cannot be switched via remote. If I wanted to switch from DVD to STB (both using digital inputs) I would have to get up and walk over to the receiver. Is this correct?

Jondav11801

This is not correct. You set the input to your device. There are 2 optical and 2 co-ax digital inputs. See page 45 of your manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page