Gonna do this...122" sintra diy project - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #31 of 31 Old 02-01-2016, 07:08 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3807 Post(s)
Liked: 1769
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namrak View Post
For the best image quality should I go with a painted substrate such as sintra or would one of Carl's products, as you suggested, be a better option?

If I were to go with Sintra I would prefer to stick with a paint mixture relatively easy to apply, as I am not confident in my abilities to layer an even coat with some of the harder to work with mixtures.
Awww...the reason some of the newer mixes are so popular is that the ease of application has improved substantially. Don't let a fear of being to unable to do something special keep you from doing something special! Your back is covered.

The HD2050 could still use some help trying to deliver deeper Blacks and higher Contrast as seen on-screen, in both modest ambient light as well as in the dark.

Ftoast is right, your choice of room color has made everything much easier to get excellent results.

I would not suggest depending overly ob using the PJ's brightest levels as a "advantage" as they tend to lessen the overall depth of Blacks delivered.

As such, the choice of a proper, unity gain (1.0) or slightly higher (1.1-1.2) Silver/Grey surface, be it purely DIY or or Mfg would be the better all-around choice.

I just today literally stumbled my way over to a previous Invisible Stereo Customer's house to put up a new $299.00 120" diag. Silver Ticket 1.0 Grey screen to mate up with a used Epson 5030 ($1300.00) . The PJ is mounted within 10% of it's closest Throw Distance for that size screen, and the image was very acceptable using Living Room Mode on Economy. For being such a "quick-n-dirty" solution for a Customer's rock bottom budget and within the means of a crippled Installer, I didn't feel the urge to wash my hands afterward.

They are gonna have the best Super Bowl party they ever could have hoped for! Of course when replacing a 47" older LCD, that's a pretty easy goal to reach.
Namrak and Detlions like this.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page