110" DIY Spandex AT Screen - Page 44 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 149Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1291 of 1307 Old 08-30-2018, 03:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
did you have any issues with the 2 way stretch vs normal 4 way?


No issues. The Black was definitely much lighter in weight and more stretchy compared to the White. I followed the zig zag (top down left right) sequence while stretching and stretched it until it felt like I may hurt the cloth. The white had some wrinkles (even when shipped as a roll) but I didn’t want to risk damaging it with an iron. So, proceeded with it - the wrinkles while reduced in intensity, remained after the install. However, they have become completely unnoticeable after a couple of days. I used screen tight and spline - and the rolling tool was very useful and saved my thumb.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bubbrik is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1292 of 1307 Old 08-30-2018, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JRock3x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 4,036
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1902 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbrik View Post
No issues. The Black was definitely much lighter in weight and more stretchy compared to the White. I followed the zig zag (top down left right) sequence while stretching and stretched it until it felt like I may hurt the cloth. The white had some wrinkles (even when shipped as a roll) but I didn’t want to risk damaging it with an iron. So, proceeded with it - the wrinkles while reduced in intensity, remained after the install. However, they have become completely unnoticeable after a couple of days. I used screen tight and spline - and the rolling tool was very useful and saved my thumb.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thanks. I'm a staple guy.

Did you find that the fabric was less stretchy along the 120" width or along the long width? I was previously under the impression that the long width was normal stretch (like 4 way) and that the 120" barely stretched at all.
JRock3x8 is offline  
post #1293 of 1307 Old 08-30-2018, 05:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 96
@JRock3x8 sorry, I didn’t pay attention to which way was more stretchy - as I was following the top down left right sequence at about 6” coverage per pull, I don’t think it mattered much. I have some left over and I can test it if you like. It is very much possible that I didn’t stretch the material enough but we are pleased with both picture and sound. I used the spline almost like a staple by using 4” pieces of spline and not roll the whole length or width.

From a weight perspective, both spandexworld and rosebrand have their “weights per” published on their websites.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bubbrik is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1294 of 1307 Old 08-30-2018, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JRock3x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 4,036
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1902 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbrik View Post
@JRock3x8 sorry, I didn’t pay attention to which way was more stretchy - as I was following the top down left right sequence at about 6” coverage per pull, I don’t think it mattered much. I have some left over and I can test it if you like. It is very much possible that I didn’t stretch the material enough but we are pleased with both picture and sound. I used the spline almost like a staple by using 4” pieces of spline and not roll the whole length or width.

From a weight perspective, both spandexworld and rosebrand have their “weights per” published on their websites.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Thanks. I’m not as picky as most users on this site so I have a feeling based on your comments the 120” will work just fine. Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JRock3x8 is offline  
post #1295 of 1307 Old 08-30-2018, 05:57 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 23,370
Mentioned: 386 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4354 Post(s)
Liked: 2165
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
Thanks. I’m not as picky as most users on this site so I have a feeling based on your comments the 120” will work just fine. Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk





Ha! After all the many questions and concerns you've posted over the span of time involved, if there are any "More Picky" members still waiting in the wings, it may be time for me to retire!


Being serious though...I do hope you can knock out your Screen and be gloriously happy with the results. Many others already have, as evidenced by the lack of distressing posts.
JRock3x8 and xpostal like this.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
MississippiMan is online now  
post #1296 of 1307 Old 08-30-2018, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JRock3x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 4,036
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1902 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Point taken but there’s a difference between picky and well informed.

In all seriousness your devotion and service to the DIY spandex screen “scene” has been extremely appreciated.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JRock3x8 is offline  
post #1297 of 1307 Old 08-30-2018, 07:35 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 23,370
Mentioned: 386 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4354 Post(s)
Liked: 2165
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
Point taken but there’s a difference between picky and well informed.

In all seriousness your devotion and service to the DIY spandex screen “scene” has been extremely appreciated.
Not so much "well informed" as being "reassured". The latter really being the context of most all your questions.

The mere fact that in the end, everything remains the same as it was related earlier on doesn't exclude the validity of one finally feeling confident.

And that being the case............................just get'ter done now, will ya???!!!




.....and thank you for the compliment. Makes the time spent all the more worthwhile.
JRock3x8 and bubbrik like this.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
MississippiMan is online now  
post #1298 of 1307 Old 08-30-2018, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JRock3x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 4,036
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1902 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Not so much "well informed" as being "reassured". The latter really being the context of most all your questions.

The mere fact that in the end, everything remains the same as it was related earlier on doesn't exclude the validity of one finally feeling confident.

And that being the case............................just get'ter done now, will ya???!!!




.....and thank you for the compliment. Makes the time spent all the more worthwhile.


Needless to say i am a cautious consumer.

We’re in a full on budget freeze at my house so I’ll have to see if / when I can squeeze in a couple hundred bucks for a new screen.

In the mean time I’m dealing with a paneled screen (not great)




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JRock3x8 is offline  
post #1299 of 1307 Old 08-31-2018, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JRock3x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 4,036
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1902 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Spandex world is having a sale through Labor Day. 15% off.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JRock3x8 is offline  
post #1300 of 1307 Old 11-13-2018, 02:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JRock3x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 4,036
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1902 Post(s)
Liked: 635
ok thinking about redoing my screen with 120" wide spandex...

rosebrand vs spandex world

rosebrand has both black and white :

https://www.rosebrand.com/shop/product.aspx?id=2220

listed as 1 pound per linear yard, it also quotes 4.1oz on the page but no idea what that refers to.

spandexworld only carries white :

https://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/15949

and lists weight as "Fabric Weight: 8.85 Oz/Sq Yard, 300 G/Sq Meter, 836 G/Yard"

I don't really know if the rosebrand or spandexworld weight numbers are comparable - one's thing for sure - rosebrand's material costs about half as much as spandex world.



Alternatively does Elite Screens sell this in a larger size?

https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens.../dp/B00J05QFFA

the only thing I could find was this LOL-worthy screen on crutchfield for 5 grand

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-yDnpah...eries-160.html
JRock3x8 is offline  
post #1301 of 1307 Old 11-14-2018, 07:57 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 23,370
Mentioned: 386 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4354 Post(s)
Liked: 2165
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
ok thinking about redoing my screen with 120" wide spandex...

rosebrand vs spandex world

rosebrand has both black and white :

https://www.rosebrand.com/shop/product.aspx?id=2220

listed as 1 pound per linear yard, it also quotes 4.1oz on the page but no idea what that refers to.

A linear Yard is a measurement of "Length...so...3' 4.1oz per linear yard = 12.3 oz per Square Yard


Quote:
spandexworld only carries white :

https://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/15949

and lists weight as "Fabric Weight: 8.85 Oz/Sq Yard, 300 G/Sq Meter, 836 G/Yard"

Soooooooo, The Spandex World fabric is a full 4oz lighter than the Rosebrand.


Quote:
I don't really know if the rosebrand or spandexworld weight numbers are comparable - one's thing for sure - rosebrand's material costs about half as much as spandex world.

Obviously, the best choice all around for AT purposes would be to use the 120" from Spandex World for the Top Layer, and the Spandex World Black Milliskin for the rear. The altermative is the Spandex White 120 for the Top...the Rosebrand Black for the Rear

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
MississippiMan is online now  
post #1302 of 1307 Old 11-14-2018, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JRock3x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 4,036
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1902 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
A linear Yard is a measurement of "Length...so...3' 4.1oz per linear yard = 12.3 oz per Square Yard





Soooooooo, The Spandex World fabric is a full 4oz lighter than the Rosebrand.





Obviously, the best choice all around for AT purposes would be to use the 120" from Spandex World for the Top Layer, and the Spandex World Black Milliskin for the rear. The altermative is the Spandex White 120 for the Top...the Rosebrand Black for the Rear


I’ll be doing the latter. Not messing with multiple sheets

Thanks. Just wanted to confirm that spandex world was a necessary choice for the white layer.

Sort of annoyed at elite screens for not selling larger sizes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JRock3x8 is offline  
post #1303 of 1307 Old 11-14-2018, 10:08 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 23,370
Mentioned: 386 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4354 Post(s)
Liked: 2165
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
I’ll be doing the latter. Not messing with multiple sheets

Thanks. Just wanted to confirm that spandex world was a necessary choice for the white layer.

Absolutely.



[/QUOTE]
Sort of annoyed at elite screens for not selling larger sizes.
[/QUOTE]


Why? You wouldn't get any better AT performance...in fact it would be lessor in nature. You might get a bit more foot lambert...but also be able to see the screen weave / perforations.


Time to get'ter dun !
JRock3x8 likes this.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
MississippiMan is online now  
post #1304 of 1307 Old 11-14-2018, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JRock3x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 4,036
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1902 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Absolutely.


Sort of annoyed at elite screens for not selling larger sizes.
[/QUOTE]


Why? You wouldn't get any better AT performance...in fact it would be lessor in nature. You might get a bit more foot lambert...but also be able to see the screen weave / perforations.


Time to get'ter dun ![/QUOTE]



Yah. It would help a whole crap ton if we could finally sell the house we left so that I could have a theater in the first place.

Soon. Soon.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JRock3x8 is offline  
post #1305 of 1307 Old 11-26-2018, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JRock3x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 4,036
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1902 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Time to get'ter dun !
ordered both.

Man even on cyber monday this hobby is not cheap...
xpostal and bubbrik like this.
JRock3x8 is offline  
post #1306 of 1307 Old 11-27-2018, 07:07 AM
Member
 
kutzon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Scandinavia
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Candidly speaking, if one does not have a PJ with a minimum of 2000 lumen, or they are considering a <100" screen, they should not be considering spandex in any case. Spandex screens have always came with the caveat of needing necessary lumen, and the choice of screen size also plays an important part.
Say you have a popular PJ like the Benq HT2050 or 3050 (Contrast Ratio 15.000:1 and lumens 2200 and 2000, respectively), want a 2.40:1 AT-screen at around 130", and you really enjoy watching 3D sometimes ... would you use spandex?

My Home Theater setup:
Picture:
Benq W2000 (HT3050) // 130" DIY AT-screen // Sony UHP-H1 // XBox One S & PS3
Sound: Yamaha RX-A820 (7.1) // Infinity Beta 50/C360/ES250, Mission 737R, Dynavoice Thunder T-12 // Sinus Live BassPump III
kutzon is offline  
post #1307 of 1307 Old 11-27-2018, 01:30 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 23,370
Mentioned: 386 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4354 Post(s)
Liked: 2165
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutzon View Post
Say you have a popular PJ like the Benq HT2050 or 3050 (Contrast Ratio 15.000:1 and lumens 2200 and 2000, respectively), want a 2.40:1 AT-screen at around 130", and you really enjoy watching 3D sometimes ... would you use spandex?

There are several factors in play. If your going to have a 2.39:1 screen at 130" (50" x 120") The shortest Throw for best lumen delivered onto 50" x 120" is 11'-6" .



As such, if watching in the dark, I would have no problem suggesting someone use Spandex on a 50" x 120" - 130" diagonal 2.39:1 screen with the PJ @ 11'-6" Throw.


..........but not for 3D, because with a C.H.I. screen of 50" x 89" 16x9 requires a "minimum" Throw of 11'-1" ....5" shorter than the other Throw for the much wider 2.39:1.
Toss in enough Lumen lost in 3D mode to make a substantial difference and 3D watch-ability would be a non-starter....



Even so, Ambient light viewing would be problematical (...a personal judgement at best...) with the 2050a because the W/B Spandex would be reflecting about 14 fl (.07 gain +/- )



As for the 3050......I'd be advising that it not be considered, or a smaller screen be chosen.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
MississippiMan is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Screen Section

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off