Just wanted to share some pictures of my DIY zero frame project. It's nearing completion and I think it looks great already! A big shout-out to MississippiMan for posting the inspiration and answering a ton of questions along the way. I may not have followed all
his recommendations to the letter on the frame, but I'll update the thread when the thing falls off the wall so he can say "I told you so".
The room is a basement with two small windows on the front and the back of the projection area. The goal was to have a 120" screen about 16' from the primary seating area and for it to be backlit with RGB LED lights so that the color could be changed depending on what's going on in the basement (dim white lights for movies and bright color changing LEDs for parties). I did this with the help of a professional contractor here in Cincinnati as I lack the tools and experience to build wood frames and patch drywall. They were also a huge help fishing cable. If those two things don't bother you, it's definitely DIY! For me I guess it was DIWH (do it with help).
My projector is an Epson 5020ub wired via HDMI to my equipment closet where it connects to my HTPC via a Denon AVR 2113ci receiver. The screen is a Sintra board that will be painted this weekend with Silver Fire V2 3.0. At least for the painting I don't plan on deviating at all from the instructions! The LED lights around the frame are the following: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=073-076
Here's the starting point:
It's a wall with a window. Kind of a crappy place for a projector screen...
We ran all the wires (also included fishing ethernet to the main level via that massive hole in the middle) and ripped off the frame around the window:
A box was put into the window and then a piece of drywall to cover it up. Here's the wall with the holes patched and the window covered:
Then I built the equipment rack (it was a standard server rack from Newegg):
Wired the closet for the video and networking (this is pre-receiver installation). Also realized that the Redmere HDMI cables were DIRECTIONAL and then had to completely re-fish the HDMI cable to the projector. Fun!:
Next I installed the projector mount and shot it at the wall to make sure the measurements would work on the frame and then a wooden frame was built on the wall to wrap the LED lights around along with a recessed power outlet for the power supply.
Here's the video I posted in another thread showing the LED lights and their color fading capability (this was before they were secured to the frame, hence the bottom didn't have lights):
I should have taken more pictures at this point. What I didn't photograph was the wire channel in the bottom right corner where the LEDs and the LED controller's remote came out to the side of the screen. Also, since we put the frame up on the wall instead of gluing it to the Sintra board, we had to now figure out how to get the Sintra up and straight while still allowing it to be taken down for maintenance if needed. The ultimate solution was the following:
- Build a french cleat out of wood that mounted right inside the top part of the frame and was the entire length of the inside of the frame
- Build a matching cleat for the bottom that parted in the middle for where the outlet is
- Secure the cleat to the Sintra using liquid nails
- Place Velcro along the left and right sides of the Sintra to keep them flat against the wall-mounted frame
So far it appears this solution has worked well. The screen is completely level and is secured to the wall. The only issue is that the right velco came off the wood last night and will need to be glued back on.
Here's the screen with the lights on white mode (and dim) after it's wired up to XBMC:
So far feedback has included statements like "that looks unreal!"
The next step will be masking the whole beast off like Dexter kill room and then I'll spray baby spray!
Thanks again for all the feedback I've recieved throughout this process. I'll continue to post updates throughout the painting process and then a final shot once my basement is cleaned up and ready for action!
(Edited to add video)