Help - Projector and Screen Selection for 160"ish 16:9 Milliskin??? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-04-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

My previous setup was an Optima HD81-LV projected on a 16:9 138" diagonal Mississippi Mud Painted screen.  I have moved and left my setup behind.  I am currently have a dedicated 22'x18' (10' ceilings) Theater room fully light controlled with dark gray flat paint, except the trim, for some reason my painter would not paint is flat as asked - but I will repaint if an issue.  Seats will be placed approximately 18' and at 12'.  I'm trying to determine which ( sub $2600 ) projector will give the best picture for a 155" - 165" diagonal 16:9 screen. If there are not any, how big can I go?  The caveat: I also wanted to have an acoustically transparent screen. I don't have to have AT, but I am concerned about the center channel above or below the screen. 

Milliskin:

I have read through the posts about Milliskin which is limited to 60", but will it be able to stretch to approx 80"?? Spandex world would not comment on its stretchability.  If so, which product should I order for front and back layer? The Seymour Center Stage is 98", but I would much rather use the spandex material.  I could not find the gain for milliskin products.

Spandex world said they have a similar product Product ID # 10869 that is 120" wide, but it is polyester vs nylon and only 6% spandex.  I have no idea what type of video/audio quality I would get with this product.

Projectors:

I have been looking at the

benq w1070 - on paper looks like best value

optima HD25-LV - can't find many reviews, but seems like the lumen output is overstated

Epson 3020 - also looks like good performance for the $

Epson 5030 - will the screen size turn this into a 1k to 1.5K projector

I tried searching for the gain for milliskin, but "gain" is repeated in so many other words (again) that I gave up before could find an answer.  I know the 5030 is a better projector considering color/blacks/shadow detail ect.. if i ask it to put out the 1500ish lumens required for that large of screen in 2D (let alone 3D) am I turning it into a 3020 equivalent? I would rather not spend the extra $1k - $1.5K if it is not going to make much of a difference.

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

MississippiMan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-05-2013, 03:05 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked: 1621
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Hi,

I'd like to offer you up a very sincere welcome to AVS's DIY Screen Forum. You will find both useful information and prompt help here for your projects.

The 120" wide Matte White Spandex you listed seems extremely interesting....and a very good possible solution to your desire for a very large AT screen.

Product ID # 10869
Product ID # 11873

However I would not proceed further without getting a couple samples of both types.

One thing...with both being Matte White, and with Spandex being a fine a weave cloth as it is, I don't think visually you will have much if any issues with either choices.

Acoustically speaking, both the popular Milliskin and the two varieties you mentioned "elsewhere" both share the same weight (6 oz sq. Yd). To date there have been no audio tests on either of the above mentioned varieties, and the density of the weave is paramount as to how clearly sound transmission through the cloth is. Especially important because to prevent undue loss of light through the cloth, as well loss of too much gain, a double layer is strongly suggested.

Interestingly enough, Spandex World lists the material's usage as being for "Projector Screens" for both types, but there is a $8.00 difference between the more expensive "Two Way Stretch" of the #10869 and the "Mechanical Stretch" of the #11873.

Mechanical stretch is a process by which the fabric is woven to a wider width and in the finishing, the fabric is shrunk creating a stretch when pulled. These are fabrics that utilize their memory and bounce back to their original state. However such Spandex material is among those having the least proportions as far as actual Spandex incorporated, and as such the "Mechanical Stretch" aspect accounts for most of the ability to stretch the material.

It would seem that unless it grossly impacts either Audio or Visual properties, the need for two layers would dictate that the $10.00 per yard Product ID # 11873 would be preferable over $18.00 yard. rolleyes.gif

It seems passing odd that suddenly Spandex World is offering a material designated for use as "Projection Screen material". Well maybe not so much, as the demand that this DIY Forum has put on various Mfg of sheet materials has led Mfg to start up such product designations on previously listed items...and often jack up the price at the same time.

But at this conjecture I want to personally thank you for bringing this material to all of our attention. It may well be something of a greater contribution than you realize.

Now let me advise you as to your Projector selection.

It comes down to a battle between lumen output / Contrast / Price.

Since the material is a White Matte Cloth, and some degree of light loss through the fabric is inevitable to the point that the gain will undoubtedly be "less than" 1.0, at the screen size your envisioning Lumen output becomes a 1st priority, followed by Contrast / Black Levels. Price is in there as well of course, but once you go BIG there are certain parameters that brook less compromising. Don't expect a Boy to do a Man's job and come up lacking in the strength needed to get'ter dun.

Your two best choices are:

Panasonic AE 8000U (...the smoothest image...and least expensive of the Uber Performers..)
Epson Powerlight 5030

Panasonic's Panasonic PT-AR100U is the Low Budget choice of all remaining PJs you should consider, as it is far brighter than the BenQ w1070 It's only caveat being potential SDE, although the 1080p resolution makes that less likely.

Optoma does have a couple of affordable 1080p DLPs in the 3K Lumen range as well, but lacking in Contrast and vital Features such as Lens Shift.

With all the aforementioned PJs, optimizing Throw distances to within 6"-8" of the absolute minimum Throw allowable for your given Screen size is essential, and not subject to negotiation.

The above information should get you started.....and once again, thank you very much indeed for bringing a 120" wide Spandex material to our attention!

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Tags
Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Optoma Hd25 Lv 3d Home Theater Projector , Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page