Easy Ambient Light Rejecting Screen Paint - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 202Likes

post #781 of 1446 Old 01-24-2016, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hello again ftoast,
i will change my projector with lg pf1000u.as you know this is a short throw projector.my question is can i use painted screen for short throw projector.according to my opinion normal projector hitting directly to the screen so light go back to the source and we are usually there but short throw projector hitting from the ground to screen than goes to ceiling so reftection will be reduce if you are not watching from the ceiling hopefully i've explained.does the brightness decrease?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 1446 Old 01-24-2016, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2683 Post(s)
Liked: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by graypex View Post
hello again ftoast,
i will change my projector with lg pf1000u.as you know this is a short throw projector.my question is can i use painted screen for short throw projector.according to my opinion normal projector hitting directly to the screen so light go back to the source and we are usually there but short throw projector hitting from the ground to screen than goes to ceiling so reftection will be reduce if you are not watching from the ceiling hopefully i've explained.does the brightness decrease?
You explained it very well.
You are right that the screen will not work well with the short-throw. It will be dimmer than a longer-throw and mostly directed at the ceiling AND probably noticeably brighter toward the bottom/center and dimmer at the sides.

A plain flat/matte grey is usually the best choice for the pf1000.
What screen-size do you think you'll be using?

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #783 of 1446 Old 01-24-2016, 04:21 PM

Easy Ambient Light Rejecting Screen Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
You explained it very well.

You are right that the screen will not work well with the short-throw. It will be dimmer than a longer-throw and mostly directed at the ceiling AND probably noticeably brighter toward the bottom/center and dimmer at the sides.

A plain flat/matte grey is usually the best choice for the pf1000.

What screen-size do you think you'll be using?

screen will be max 80".did you test any short throw before?your experience very important for me i will make my decision according to your information.but painted screen is most important for me otherwise i ll give up the pf1000.by the way tx for your quick response
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 1446 Old 01-24-2016, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

If you don't plan on using it for 3D a plain grey as dark as "Granite Grey" "OONN 37/000" should be able to reach 15ftL at that size.
If you are planning to use 3D or generally prefer a brighter image a lighter plain grey like "Veil" or "Pebble Grey" "OONN 53/000" should give over 20ftL at that size.

If you prefer to use a screen with metallic the pf1000u is not the right projector. Not only would it be extra bad table-mounted, but it would still be bad ceiling-mounted because it's am Ultra Short-Throw which means the Ambient Light Rejecting screen would fight the projector more than it would fight the lights because the projector is at an even steeper angle than most of the lights.

Is this going in the same room as before or a new spot?
Why do you want to get rid of your other projector?
If you want an LED projector and don't need 3D, the pf1500 is a regular-throw version of the pf1000u except without 3D...plus it costs quite a lot less.

I haven't personally tested any Ultra ShortThrow yet, but even my slightly shorter throw p300 looks a little different than the longer LG I have and the beam angle differences are exactly like you've explained earlier where light gets directed the opposite direction of the projector AND the very wide beam of the short-throw makes the center still come back to the viewers while the sides bounce mostly toward the left/right walls.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415

Last edited by Ftoast; 01-24-2016 at 08:46 PM.
post #785 of 1446 Old 01-24-2016, 10:28 PM

I'm going to use it in my new house.there are no enough distance and here there is no place to put the projector.i dont like 3d and I don't think I'd use.I guess I need to wait a little more for something better model for short throw or can u advise any short throw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #786 of 1446 Old 01-25-2016, 03:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
I'm going to use it in my new house.there are no enough distance and here there is no place to put the projector.i dont like 3d and I don't think I'd use.I guess I need to wait a little more for something better model for short throw or can u advise any short throw.

Can you not use a more standard short throw projector mounted on a shelf on the wall?
post #787 of 1446 Old 01-25-2016, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

As long as you can wall-mount, ceiling-mount or upsidedown shelf-mount above or behind your seat you can use a somewhat short regular-throw projector which will still work with a specialty screen.

Can you use a wall-mount, ceiling-mount or shelf (upsidedown) to put the projector over or behind your seats?

How many feet (or metres) long back-to-front will the new room be?

post #788 of 1446 Old 01-26-2016, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:

Hey, I figured it might be better to respond here instead. Mica is not expensive. I will let you know if the powdered pearl mica that I ordered on ebay is any good after I receive it in a few weeks. However here is a link to *pure* white mica selling for $4 an oz retail here in the USA. If the powder I buy is too fine I may buy an oz of this stuff, crush it, and then mix the two together.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stampendou...White/32765314

It is probably going to be a few weeks before I can test anything, my pj is still on backorder. I will be sure to let you know what happens with the paint. BTW, I saw something else that looks interesting on Ebay - chrome mirrored vinyl sheets they use to cover cars. Enough for a 120" screen costs $55, not sure if it is thick enough to use as the screen backing material though although they do say it expands which possibly means stretches. Theoretically it should work similarly to the mica - I think
Ftoast likes this.
post #789 of 1446 Old 01-26-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
As long as you can wall-mount, ceiling-mount or upsidedown shelf-mount above or behind your seat you can use a somewhat short regular-throw projector which will still work with a specialty screen.

Can you use a wall-mount, ceiling-mount or shelf (upsidedown) to put the projector over or behind your seats?

How many feet (or metres) long back-to-front will the new room be?

i planned to use tv table which is standing in front of the screen.why i want to use short throw projector that when I walked in the room to be any obstacle.anyway distance from my seat to the screen is abt 4,5 meters.
the dimensions of the room 4,5x15 meters and place of seat in the middle of the long wall and the other long wall of the screen.i know room is amorphous for big secreen but i don t accept less than 80" secreen because i'm used to.perhaps the shelf may be an option.i m so sorry for my english.it's mixed

post #790 of 1446 Old 01-26-2016, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
i planned to use tv table which is standing in front of the screen.why i want to use short throw projector that when I walked in the room to be any obstacle.anyway distance from my seat to the screen is abt 4,5 meters.
the dimensions of the room 4,5x15 meters and place of seat in the middle of the long wall and the other long wall of the screen.i know room is amorphous for big secreen but i don t accept less than 80" secreen because i'm used to.perhaps the shelf may be an option.i m so sorry for my english.it's mixed

If you can mount a projector upsidedown on a shelf above the seats on the back wall, almost any standard-throw projector would be able to make a 130" image and also use a specialty paint or screen.

post #791 of 1446 Old 01-29-2016, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I took some pictures and video of a few different ALR screens sharing the same image in the daylight.

The top/left is a SilverFire v2.5 (current as of January 2016).
The top/right is an 18:1white (18parts untinted Disney/Glidden OR RalphLauren metallic and 1part ColorPlace flat Light-Base) that's not very suited to daylight, but very bright.
The bottom/left is a 9:1GreyTabby which is showing remarkable similarity to the $100-SilverFire lvl-12 mixture despite being a simple 2-ingredient $25 mix.
The bottom/right is a 5:1 ObsidianGlass which is darker and a bit more aggressive against the daylight.

Hotspotting/warmspotting isn't visible in-person..the camera makes it look much worse than it really is...and the camera kept adding a weird purple tint to the blue image for some reason, which also wasn't there in-person.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SF12 18-1White 9-1GreyTabby 5-1ObsidianGlass.jpg
Views:	57474
Size:	381.7 KB
ID:	1218018   Click image for larger version

Name:	SF12, 18-1W, 9-1GT, 5-1 OG.jpg
Views:	929
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	1218026  
bud16415 likes this.

post #792 of 1446 Old 01-29-2016, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx View Post
You call that close? That's laughable at best. Perhaps you should brush up on your rolling techniques first. as your grey tabby and obsidian both clearly show roller defects and hotspotting sheen.
Quote:
Nothing to apologize for. Your lack of anythinfg resembling a videophile or calibration expert is is evident.
What you lack in positivity you at least make up for in passion.

I'll try to tighten up my technique and fill in some knowledge gaps.

post #793 of 1446 Old 01-29-2016, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Can anyone recommend a mix for paints available in Australia?
post #794 of 1446 Old 01-29-2016, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 58
@far3 ll,

You're on the right thread. I'm sure Floast will definitely get started in the right direction.

@floast

I honestly apologize for my recent lack of positiveness towards you. Not in keeping at all.with desire to be helpful. We all are passionate about the DIY designs and advice we bring to avs's DIY forum. I don't go on anyone else's thread and knock their DIY solution. Manufacturers charging 4 grand for a 100" screen...yes. The efforts of our DIY community...no. That's why I stear clear from comparisons of each other work or getting on others threads to recommend my own over another diy'er. I see u giving the same courtesy to James. You are extremely loving to help people get into and love this medium. Reminds me of me...10 years ago. Don't stop.
post #795 of 1446 Old 01-29-2016, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2013 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Quote:
What you lack in positivity you at least make up for in passion.

I'll try to tighten up my technique and fill in some knowledge gaps.
Ftoast

If you want to talk about rolling tips or being a videophile or even calibration technique drop me a PM and we can discuss it.

Bud
post #796 of 1446 Old 01-29-2016, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
@far3 ll,

You're on the right thread. I'm sure Floast will definitely get started in the right direction.

@floast

I honestly apologize for my recent lack of positiveness towards you. Not in keeping at all.with desire to be helpful. We all are passionate about the DIY designs and advice we bring to avs's DIY forum. I don't go on anyone else's thread and knock their DIY solution. Manufacturers charging 4 grand for a 100" screen...yes. The efforts of our DIY community...no. That's why I stear clear from comparisons of each other work or getting on others threads to recommend my own over another diy'er. I see u giving the same courtesy to James. You are extremely loving to help people get into and love this medium. Reminds me of me...10 years ago. Don't stop.
Thanks for that pb, I was getting a bit concerned the last few posts from you guys.
I've been here a long time, as you have, and have seen the wars.
Not pretty.

I wanna Thank both of you for being civil, after all, we are all trying to help each other in the end.

Thanks A Lot Guys.

m
post #797 of 1446 Old 01-29-2016, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farr3ll View Post
Can anyone recommend a mix for paints available in Australia?
The best choice of screen type will depend on a few things:
What projector do you plan to use and about what image-size are you aiming for?
Are you a big 3D fan or a casual user at best?
How bad would you describe your lighting situation in the room during the time you'll be viewing, and can it easily be improved by curtains and more controllable lights (dimmers, spot-bulbs, cheap easy things like that) and possibly darker-colored walls/ceiling using paint or fabric?

The better setup you can make the room, the less work the screen will need to help with. A less aggressive screen in a better room will almost always look cleaner and overall better than a more aggressive screen in a worse room.

The main tricky ingredient to find is a suitable (and affordable) water-based metallic...most/all the other ingredients in practically every paint-mix can be found locally or easily substituted with a local version.

I've heard from others that the metallic used in BlackWidow (Createx AAA-fine) is available in Australia:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-di...ack-widow.html

It is also worth checking to see if James_of_AZ made an Australian version of his mix:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-di...n-3600e-5.html

If you can find a local water-based metallic (silver or pearl or tintable, etc) you'll be 90% of the way there.

If you can treat the room well enough, you might not even feel the need for a metallic at all.

post #798 of 1446 Old 01-29-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
The best choice of screen type will depend on a few things:
What projector do you plan to use and about what image-size are you aiming for?
Are you a big 3D fan or a casual user at best?
How bad would you describe your lighting situation in the room during the time you'll be viewing, and can it easily be improved by curtains and more controllable lights (dimmers, spot-bulbs, cheap easy things like that) and possibly darker-colored walls/ceiling using paint or fabric?

The better setup you can make the room, the less work the screen will need to help with. A less aggressive screen in a better room will almost always look cleaner and overall better than a more aggressive screen in a worse room.

The main tricky ingredient to find is a suitable (and affordable) water-based metallic...most/all the other ingredients in practically every paint-mix can be found locally or easily substituted with a local version.

I've heard from others that the metallic used in BlackWidow (Createx AAA-fine) is available in Australia:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-di...ack-widow.html

It is also worth checking to see if James_of_AZ made an Australian version of his mix:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-di...n-3600e-5.html

If you can find a local water-based metallic (silver or pearl or tintable, etc) you'll be 90% of the way there.

If you can treat the room well enough, you might not even feel the need for a metallic at all.
This is what I love about this forum, someone always willing to take the time. Thanks mate.

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of a dedicated theatre room so my setup is in the front lounge. For day viewing it is adequate with how much I can darken it down, night viewing is ok but the white walls don't do me any favours.

My projector is a BenQ W1070, placement approximately 5 metres from the opposite wall. The only place I can put it and really at or beyond the stretch of where it can or should be. 3D is definitely a high priority. It works ok now but could definitely be better. I live in a rental so that rules out any room treatments.
post #799 of 1446 Old 01-29-2016, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is what I love about this forum, someone always willing to take the time. Thanks mate.

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of a dedicated theatre room so my setup is in the front lounge. For day viewing it is adequate with how much I can darken it down, night viewing is ok but the white walls don't do me any favours.

My projector is a BenQ W1070, placement approximately 5 metres from the opposite wall. The only place I can put it and really at or beyond the stretch of where it can or should be. 3D is definitely a high priority. It works ok now but could definitely be better. I live in a rental so that rules out any room treatments.
It sounds like you've got the worst of the lighting under control and mostly want a screen that can help minimize the wall reflections and keep a bright image for 3D..?

What are you projecting onto now?
Assuming it's a wall, is it white, off-white, beige, etc?
With 3D as a big priority, is there any creative way you could move the projector (and probably the seats) closer to the opposite wall OR put a screen of some kind closer to the seats and projector by hanging from the ceiling or with some kind of floor-stand?
How is the w1070 mounted to the back wall right now, wall-mount, ceiling-mount, tall shelf, table between seats?

Last edited by Ftoast; 01-29-2016 at 08:49 PM.
post #800 of 1446 Old 01-29-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
It sounds like you've got the worst of the lighting under control and mostly want a screen that can help minimize the wall reflections and keep a bright image for 3D..?

What are you projecting onto now?
Assuming it's a wall, is it white, off-white, beige, etc?
With 3D as a big priority, is there any creative way you could move the projector (and probably the seats) closer to the opposite wall OR put a screen of some kind closer to the seats and projector by hanging from the ceiling or with some kind of floor-stand?
How is the w1070 mounted to the back wall right now, wall-mount, ceiling-mount, tall shelf, table between seats?
Absolutely correct, the image is adequate for 2D viewing but doesn't quite stack up for 3D. Currently projecting on to an off-white wall, moving the projector and seating is rather impossible. The projector is sitting on a tall table next to the lounge. I can't really hang anything from the ceiling etc as in a rental, my vision is to build a unit on to which the screen sits on as can't hang it on the wall.
post #801 of 1446 Old 01-30-2016, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Absolutely correct, the image is adequate for 2D viewing but doesn't quite stack up for 3D. Currently projecting on to an off-white wall, moving the projector and seating is rather impossible. The projector is sitting on a tall table next to the lounge. I can't really hang anything from the ceiling etc as in a rental, my vision is to build a unit on to which the screen sits on as can't hang it on the wall.
Is your vision of a screen+stand something you expect to take months/years or is it something you'll probably be doing pretty soon?

If you can get that screen as you've envisioned around 3.5 or 4metres from the projector (aiming for a 135inch diagonal image) I think the closer screen will easily make up for the smaller size (smaller but closer to your eyes will still appear about as immersive) AND the smaller size will give a great boost to 3D and the projectors ability to cut through whatever bit of light leaks into the room during viewing.

With that extra brightness you'll be much better suited for a light-rejection screen if you still even want one after the boost in brightness and natural light-fighting that comes with it.

post #802 of 1446 Old 01-30-2016, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hello I am new here and I have few questions for Ftoast

1) If I understand it well, you mix metallic color and some shade of grey color with 3:1 ratio and paint a flat wall with it? Right?

2) I am from Czech republic and I would like to test it with my LG PA70G. I cannot find same products in Czech republic as you mention here. So what kind of metallic color should I buy?

I can buy this one:
http://www.jub.eu/interior-paints-an.../decor-glamour
I supose that I should buy Silver version right?

Alternatives:
http://www.kittfort.cz/products_4_75.htm
http://www.zahrada-kh.cz/Kovovy-lesk...ab=description
http://www.barvy-sanmarco.cz/all-por...ist/easymetal/

3) Which kind of gray or black you use to mix it with metallic one?

Thanks for the help!
post #803 of 1446 Old 01-30-2016, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honzik1 View Post
Hello I am new here and I have few questions for Ftoast

1) If I understand it well, you mix metallic color and some shade of grey color with 3:1 ratio and paint a flat wall with it? Right?

2) I am from Czech republic and I would like to test it with my LG PA70G. I cannot find same products in Czech republic as you mention here. So what kind of metallic color should I buy?

I can buy this one:
http://www.jub.eu/interior-paints-an.../decor-glamour
I supose that I should buy Silver version right?

Alternatives:
http://www.kittfort.cz/products_4_75.htm
http://www.zahrada-kh.cz/Kovovy-lesk...ab=description
http://www.barvy-sanmarco.cz/all-por...ist/easymetal/

3) Which kind of gray or black you use to mix it with metallic one?

Thanks for the help!
Yes, a silver-metallic or white-pearl would be the best of the colored metallic options.
Usually the silver is stronger than what I've been using, so a 1.5:1 or 2:1 ratio is safer than a 3:1 using silver. White-Pearl tends to work well at 3:1 ratio.
Make sure the metallic/pearl is water-based and NOT oil-based.

I mix with flat/matte, interior, wall-paint. Usually by the CIL or Delux or Glidden brand. For the untinted metallic, the color "Seal Grey" (OONN 25/000) has been working well, but for the Silver or Pearl metallic a slightly darker grey paint might be needed to get the same color of screen because the silver/pearl can lighten the overall color.

Since I haven't tried these it's a lot of guessing on my part, so be warned it's kind of risky.

post #804 of 1446 Old 01-31-2016, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Is your vision of a screen+stand something you expect to take months/years or is it something you'll probably be doing pretty soon?

If you can get that screen as you've envisioned around 3.5 or 4metres from the projector (aiming for a 135inch diagonal image) I think the closer screen will easily make up for the smaller size (smaller but closer to your eyes will still appear about as immersive) AND the smaller size will give a great boost to 3D and the projectors ability to cut through whatever bit of light leaks into the room during viewing.

With that extra brightness you'll be much better suited for a light-rejection screen if you still even want one after the boost in brightness and natural light-fighting that comes with it.
I played around with positioning of projector and furniture today (as much as the boss would allow) and can get the placement to 4.5 metres, that's it. A marginal and just noticeable improvement on brightness but not quite there. The screen size (approximate) has gone from 163" to 150-ish". I'm not sure I'd need a full black screen but I think the silver/grey would definitely be an advantage depending on your thoughts.

I messages AZ and noticed on his YouTube vid there was a Nick S in Australia that sourced the Silver Grey paints, hopefully he'll get back to me. The wife is pretty keen to get it going for day use, currently pretty average, hate to disappoint .

In the meantime I found this mix on *cough* Wikipedia:

Black Widow AU - Formula for Auto-Air Aluminium Base Edit

(960ml) of Dulux Wash & Wear Kitchen & Bathroom 1L White Ceiling Paint” paint tinted to 'PN2G5 Milton Moon' (this is a DULUX colour) from Bunnings. (http://www.bunnings.com.au/dulux-was...paint_p1400381)
(240ml) of “Auto-Air Aluminium Base Fine” (code: 4101) paint from Airbrush Megastore: http://www.airbrushmegastore.com/ind...=1118&Itemid=1)
This new formula produces a reasonably dark end result (approx N7.4 based on the Hometheatreshack forums neutral grey scale). Alternatively, substitute 'Tranquil Retreat' or 'Ashville' for 'Milton Moon' (these are all DULUX colours), to end up with an approximately N7.9 or N8.1 result, depending on the screen darkness you desire. For a darker range approximately N5.5 use Dulux Colour PN2A4 'Timeless Grey'

Is this close to what I need?

Thanks for your help mate.
post #805 of 1446 Old 01-31-2016, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I played around with positioning of projector and furniture today (as much as the boss would allow) and can get the placement to 4.5 metres, that's it. A marginal and just noticeable improvement on brightness but not quite there. The screen size (approximate) has gone from 163" to 150-ish". I'm not sure I'd need a full black screen but I think the silver/grey would definitely be an advantage depending on your thoughts.

I messages AZ and noticed on his YouTube vid there was a Nick S in Australia that sourced the Silver Grey paints, hopefully he'll get back to me. The wife is pretty keen to get it going for day use, currently pretty average, hate to disappoint .

In the meantime I found this mix on *cough* Wikipedia:

Black Widow AU - Formula for Auto-Air Aluminium Base Edit

(960ml) of Dulux Wash & Wear Kitchen & Bathroom 1L White Ceiling Paint” paint tinted to 'PN2G5 Milton Moon' (this is a DULUX colour) from Bunnings. (http://www.bunnings.com.au/dulux-was...paint_p1400381)
(240ml) of “Auto-Air Aluminium Base Fine” (code: 4101) paint from Airbrush Megastore: http://www.airbrushmegastore.com/ind...=1118&Itemid=1)
This new formula produces a reasonably dark end result (approx N7.4 based on the Hometheatreshack forums neutral grey scale). Alternatively, substitute 'Tranquil Retreat' or 'Ashville' for 'Milton Moon' (these are all DULUX colours), to end up with an approximately N7.9 or N8.1 result, depending on the screen darkness you desire. For a darker range approximately N5.5 use Dulux Colour PN2A4 'Timeless Grey'

Is this close to what I need?

Thanks for your help mate.
The darker BlackWidow versions might do solidly well against the light (a small-ish improvement, but one you should notice) however BlackWidow is said to have problems when you try to push the gain too high, so you might end up with a slightly dimmer image than you currently have.

James' mix is a bit more friendly for experimenting or changing, and it has a better chance of being adjustable enough to keep your brightness high.
Hopefully that fellow you found will contact you back.

A possible problem, about how high off the floor is your screen's bottom (bottom of the image) and how high off the floor is your projector?
It sounds like the projector is placed fairly low which will make the reflective screen put some of its gain/brightness over your heads instead of toward them.

post #806 of 1446 Old 01-31-2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:
The darker BlackWidow versions might do solidly well against the light (a small-ish improvement, but one you should notice) however BlackWidow is said to have problems when you try to push the gain too high, so you might end up with a slightly dimmer image than you currently have.

James' mix is a bit more friendly for experimenting or changing, and it has a better chance of being adjustable enough to keep your brightness high.
Hopefully that fellow you found will contact you back.

A possible problem, about how high off the floor is your screen's bottom (bottom of the image) and how high off the floor is your projector?
It sounds like the projector is placed fairly low which will make the reflective screen put some of its gain/brightness over your heads instead of toward them.
Thanks for the advice. I'll hold out for James' advice for sure.

At the moment it is set pretty how, about a metre off the floor and projecting high on the wall above a TV.. Once I build the screen I'll. reposition it lower for a better viewing angle. Do you recommend this screen at a certain height?
post #807 of 1446 Old 01-31-2016, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I'll hold out for James' advice for sure.

At the moment it is set pretty how, about a metre off the floor and projecting high on the wall above a TV.. Once I build the screen I'll. reposition it lower for a better viewing angle. Do you recommend this screen at a certain height?
Ideally you'd want the projector about level with the top of the screen and the screen's bottom around 0.5metres or lower..I'm guessing the projector placement part isn't something you can really do with your current setup.

Because you can't make holes in this place, would it be possible for you to get a small-ish wire shelf (like a cupboard organizer or dish rack) or build a small shelf that you could put holes through and mount the projector beneath by running some properly-sized screws through the top of the shelf and into the projector's mounting points?
Then you could set the shelf on something a little higher and use much less keystone correction which will give you a sharper and brighter image to some degree.
This along with a lower screen position will help a metallic screen keep more of its brightness.

post #808 of 1446 Old 01-31-2016, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Ideally you'd want the projector about level with the top of the screen and the screen's bottom around 0.5metres or lower..I'm guessing the projector placement part isn't something you can really do with your current setup.

Because you can't make holes in this place, would it be possible for you to get a small-ish wire shelf (like a cupboard organizer or dish rack) or build a small shelf that you could put holes through and mount the projector beneath by running some properly-sized screws through the top of the shelf and into the projector's mounting points?
Then you could set the shelf on something a little higher and use much less keystone correction which will give you a sharper and brighter image to some degree.
This along with a lower screen position will help a metallic screen keep more of its brightness.
Not really mate, the best I can manage is to sit it upright on a coffee table which runs the projector parallel with the bottom of the screen at about the 0.5 metres you suggested. Makes it hard with the limitations I have to work to but don't have much choice unfortunately.
post #809 of 1446 Old 01-31-2016, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not really mate, the best I can manage is to sit it upright on a coffee table which runs the projector parallel with the bottom of the screen at about the 0.5 metres you suggested. Makes it hard with the limitations I have to work to but don't have much choice unfortunately.
If you're sitting the projector on a coffee table, could you simply scoot the table and seating both closer to make a smaller/brighter image?
Or is there no spot to fit even a smaller image until you've made a new stand+screen?

post #810 of 1446 Old 01-31-2016, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Quoted: 5645 Post(s)
Liked: 2667
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
I have projected vivid whites off a coal black wide dispersion screen with a gain of about .1, so it is a myth that gray is in any way going to darken whites into a gray white when properly illuminated.
Very true. Screens don't have varying absorptive properties depending on the amount of light they are illuminated with. As long as the projector can throw enough light even a negative gain screen can look great.
The problem is stray light. If the level is high then a darker screen can improve perceived black level.
bud16415 likes this.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page