DIY 2:35 fixed 125 screen for anaphormic lens - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-02-2015, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
DIY 2:35 fixed 125 screen for anaphormic lens

I just finished a DIY project making a 125 inch 2:35 ratio diagonal projection screen.

My previous screen was a Steward studiotek 130 which most considered as a reference screen. I tried to mimic the design of the Steward screen as close as possible.

Since I do not want to spent over a thousand plus dollars for another Stewart screen and put the $$ toward an anamorphic lens instead.

I stopped by the scrap yard for some aluminum rectangle tubings but they did not have any at the time.

The screen material I got came from fleebay seller name "protheather". 54 inch by 120 inch for $87.00. His material is the real quality projector screen material. This was a gamble but he's legit seller with thousands of positive ratings.

I used cheap 2X2 pine wood as frame. The 2X2 pine wood frames were then nailed and glued with 1/2 fly wood on two side of the 2X2 to straight and prevent bending. $20.00

I used black suede fabric at Joan. I bought 3 yards and one foot which cost less than $10.00. I scouted the entire store and the black suede comes as close as it gets to the black velvet but not quite.

Four L steel corner braces from human habitat $2.50

Four L hanging braces . left over in garage

Tools:

Air nail gun with 1.5 inch brad nails.
Staples with 6 mm staples
Elmo glue
lots of carpenter clamps ( 10 total I think)
Circular saw
90 degree ruler
90 frame clamp.

It turned out super nice but:

Tensioning the screen fabric was not easy. I still have some waves at the right bottom corner. I will wait couple days to let the screen material stretches at room temperature before re-tension again.

I will buy some brass grommets to do the tension instead of staples.

The total project cost less than $140.00.

Even with the fly wood laminated and glued to the 2X2 frame. There were still some bowing. I will have to get some L channel bar for further reinforce, straighten, and prevent future bowing.

If I have to do it again? The answer is a big NO.

I took lots of time and patient (10 hours estimated); I can buy a 125 inch 2:35 Silver Ticket fixed aluminium frame at Amazon for $329 shipped.

I will post photos in couple days.

Last edited by annamiata; 02-04-2015 at 06:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-02-2015, 04:28 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 282 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3795 Post(s)
Liked: 1762
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Or....for the same amount, and using the materials we have specified for so many you could have nailed it exactly right the first time with under 1.2 the time invested.

Such is often the case when the first post seen is a "After the Build is done" type. Well, at least it was DIY.

Too bad the screen material wasn't Flexi-White. You'd have eliminated all those stretching issues, which themselves led to the Bowing. Also, I see no mention of your having any centrally located vertical supports. That would be a glaring omission if true.

Lastly, using 2x3s for the Perimeter frame and slightly ripped 2x3s for the Central supports would result in a significantly more rigid frame.

Without those central supports, Grommets are not gonna solve your problem, nor will Corner Mounted "L" brackets

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #3 of 4 Old 02-02-2015, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Or....for the same amount, and using the materials we have specified for so many you could have nailed it exactly right the first time with under 1.2 the time invested.

Such is often the case when the first post seen is a "After the Build is done" type. Well, at least it was DIY.

Too bad the screen material wasn't Flexi-White. You'd have eliminated all those stretching issues, which themselves led to the Bowing. Also, I see no mention of your having any centrally located vertical supports. That would be a glaring omission if true.

Lastly, using 2x3s for the Perimeter frame and slightly ripped 2x3s for the Central supports would result in a significantly more rigid frame.

Without those central supports, Grommets are not gonna solve your problem, nor will Corner Mounted "L" brackets
I actually did installed two vertical supports at 1/3 increments. The 2 X 2 wood glued and nailed 1/2 fly wood on two sides (2.5 X 2.5) probably are stronger than just plain 2 X 3. When the frame rested flat on the floor, there was around 1/4 inch deflection (horizontal plain) along the 10 feet width of the bottom frame; this occurred before I installed screen material (cheap pine wood). Diagonal measurements from opposite corners were perfect. I can fix the 1/4 inch deflection easily with some 2 X 2 L long steel channels. I was beat and just wanted to test the new wide lens.

I brought up the 1/4 deflection because I am just picky.

I used the cheapest possible framing materials for DIY project and it cost $140.00 total. DIY projector screen with new aluminium framing would cost $300 or more easily. Thanks to cheap Chinese labor, the Silver Ticket fixed screen with aluminium framing is the way to go.

Last edited by annamiata; 02-04-2015 at 06:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-09-2015, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

I finally installed the brass eyelets and retensioned the screen. There are absolutely no wrinkle anywhere. I will post photos soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page