post #1 of 15 Old 05-29-2015, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 170
what pj & spandex combo? how much can stretch spandex

my room is about 13x16, can be blacked out

a website has 'offer running out today (on the sony)
i'm thinking about ordering
either panasonic ae8000 $1499 or the sony hw40es $1999?

i been reading something about panasonic having convergence problems? ....and quality issues with the sony ?
i like contrast/film look
rainbow effect makes me nauseous.

screen - diy 110-120 AT spandex ... i am a little confused - do i get the miliskin matte silver on black ... white on silver ?

thank you for any help

Last edited by bulls; 09-12-2015 at 08:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-29-2015, 05:56 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 271 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3726 Post(s)
Liked: 1719
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post
my room is about 13x16, can be blacked out

a website has 'offer running out today (on the sony)
i'm thinking about ordering
either panasonic ae8000 $1499 or the sony hw40es $1999?

i been reading something about panasonic having convergence problems? ....and quality issues with the sony ?
i like contrast/film look
rainbow effect makes me nauseous.
Of the two, the Panasonic offers more all around performance for value....and dependability.

I've read a lot about the Sony having both issues you mentioned...but very little about the Panasonic having convergence problems. However I would be remiss if I did not relate that a couple years ago I received one that did have a Panel "WAY" out of position. But it was replaced within 3 days by Projector People and it's replacement, along with about 10 others since, have had no issues whatsoever.

Projector People is a great place to do business with. Contact Kirk Ritari @ ext. 2002 and tell him you want the Panny 4K Package that MississippiMan (Maurice) uses and he'll give you a special price on both the latters. (inc. Chief RPA 181 mount and Peerless ACC570 Ceiling Plate...)

Quote:
screen - diy 110-120 AT spandex ... i am a little confused - do i get the miliskin matte silver on black ... white on silver ?

thank you for any help
Milliskin all the way.

White on Black will give you the better Black Levels
White over Silver will give you a slightly higher gain level...very acceptable Blacks. (...most used combo...)
White on White is highly advisable if 3D is to be absolutely as bright as possible.
Silver over White will produce the deepest Blacks of all, and the most perceived Contrast. Great to use if your optimally mounting the PJ (close throw)

Mount the Panny at 12'-8" for maximum effect with it's Lumen output. You did not mention anything about C.H.I. 2.39:1 / 16:9 so it is assumed that 16:9 is your primary interest. Go 120" diagonal (...the Throw recommendation above is based on that premise...)

Let us know if you need Frame Building suggestions.
dRwOOD73 likes this.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #3 of 15 Old 05-29-2015, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

awsome thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-30-2015, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

ok i put it up in sketchup and due to wife's strict choice of wall ... here's the what it would look like
Click image for larger version

Name:	red BR-t.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	747009

Name:	red BR.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	747017

with a panasonic 8000

~115in screen @12ft throw
~9.1 ft screen to face distance
- almost no border ...or maybe i can get a half inch
post #5 of 15 Old 06-05-2015, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

got the roll of spandex... but it still has creases/waves
- how far can i stretch the 3yards i originally wanted 120, but i can go larger...
post #6 of 15 Old 06-05-2015, 05:42 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

You can safely consider 14" of total Stretching down the length (108") of the Spandex, so that is 7" each end. Build a Frame that is 4" longer than 112" wide, and commensurately a high percentage than 63" ((67") to allow for Trimming.

Unfortunately you cannot reach all the way up to the 135" diagonal limit having opted for 3 yards. The 60" roll width can accommodate the larger size, but the cut length you have comes up much too short

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #7 of 15 Old 06-07-2015, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mkay got precut poplar and several hours later got AT screen.
My screen size is odd 8x6ft
Basically 16:9 has ~110 diagonal
The spandex was quite easy to work with. It stretchetched quite nice,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1433685760111.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	761369  

Last edited by bulls; 06-07-2015 at 07:02 AM.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-12-2015, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

could not take that small screen
... got more poplar and made a C frame and attached with brackets to my original frame...
i had the left side of my screen where the spare spandex was (i had not cut it off)... so i unstapled it and stretched it

--- spandex is now at 127 x 75in (on face- with some inches stapled to the sides of the frame)
screen diag now ~147 !!!

out of the 3yards spandex - love it !!

... one of the staple holes was a bit torn by the staple but at 1mm wide hole is not visible from the seat

awesome !!

except my projector doesnt throw that wide , get about 6 inch space around image

Last edited by bulls; 09-14-2015 at 09:17 PM.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-13-2015, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
... Silver over White will produce the deepest Blacks of all, and the most perceived Contrast. Great to use if your optimally mounting the PJ (close throw)
I had not come across this info. Thanks for the Pearls, MM.

"Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see" –Tony Soprano
post #10 of 15 Old 09-14-2015, 06:29 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post
could not take that small screen
... got more poplar and made a C frame and attached with brackets to my original frame...
i had the left side of my screen where the spare spandex was (i had not cut it off)... so i unstapled it and stretched it

--- spandex is now at 127 x 75in (on face- with some inches stapled to the sides of the frame)
screen diag now ~147 !!!

out of the 3ft spandex - love it !!
Just a correction here...the OP actually meant to say "3 YARDS" not 3 Feet.

Added: The amount of stretch required to make 108 " go out to 127"+ is at the extreme limits to say the very least. In many cases, such a high amount of stretching will clearly show the weave because of the spaces between the weave of cloth being so greatly expanded. That being the case, I personally do not recommend that anyone else attempt that degree of stretching.

But of course I'm also glad the OP seems to have effectively accomplished his goal with no mention of any such visual issues. So there is that to consider.

post #11 of 15 Old 09-14-2015, 06:35 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by los3088 View Post
I had not come across this info. Thanks for the Pearls, MM.
But also bear in mind that in deepening the Blacks, a further degree of Gain is lost (...hence the desirability of using a optimum Throw distance and a brighter PJ...) Higher Lumen PJs are the order of preferred use in most all Spandex applications, and those units usually do not sport the best Black Levels, but in return usually have higher White Brightness, therein making up for the attenuation of Whites by a darker surface. So projected Blacks look deeper on Silver, but Whites are easier to calibrate back into the image.

Some of found preference in using White over Black so as to obtain the best of both worlds.

post #12 of 15 Old 09-14-2015, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
But also bear in mind that in deepening the Blacks, a further degree of Gain is lost (...hence the desirability of using a optimum Throw distance and a brighter PJ...) Higher Lumen PJs are the order of preferred use in most all Spandex applications, and those units usually do not sport the best Black Levels, but in return usually have higher White Brightness, therein making up for the attenuation of Whites by a darker surface. So projected Blacks look deeper on Silver, but Whites are easier to calibrate back into the image.

Some of found preference in using White over Black so as to obtain the best of both worlds.
I am ordering White and Silver for a 138" screen. The pj is BenQ w1070. My initial plans were to cover WoS.

Before I start stapling away, I think I'll fire up the pj and just do a test with the fabric (WoS- SoW) to reach a decision.

Regardless, your insight is always appreciated.

"Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see" –Tony Soprano
post #13 of 15 Old 09-14-2015, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
. In many cases, such a high amount of stretching will clearly show the weave because of the spaces between the weave of cloth being so greatly expanded. That being the case, I personally do not recommend that anyone else attempt that degree of stretching.
i actually dont know if any brightness difference ... i over-stretched it on the original frame... i am using the 'left-over' on the attached expansion-frame
but related to resolution --

i can only relate what i observe, and being a pixel peeper in photography [thats my street cred ] i can only say that:

from main viewing position @ 11.5 ft and at most leaning forward - head @10ft from screen - i can clearly see compression artifacts in the videos, due to such expansion of the picture... no screen pattern or weave

i did take a few pics with some test patterns - the lines/dot represent 'true' computer 1pixel sized line/dot
i would say that 1 pixel projected to the screen grows to 1.5mm ... and seem to be about 2-3 times larger than the spandex weave
(please excuse the NR and poor img quality, but it shows the general point, brightness in first pic is exaggerated by iphone)

i didnt have a good video to highlight moire or other interference problems caused by screen weave but again from main viewing pos. i dont see any pattern during video
iphone is about 10 inches from screen, millimeter scale is on the left side of the ruler
post #14 of 15 Old 09-15-2015, 12:20 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Well....it's all about how evenly it;s been stretched, and I agree, the weave lines seem very even. It might be that the overriding factor is that you primarily stretched it more horizontally in proportion to vertically. Either way, you seem to have dodged a bullet, so that's all that really matters.

Keep duckin' and enjoy!
bulls likes this.

post #15 of 15 Old 09-29-2015, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by los3088 View Post
I am ordering White and Silver for a 138" screen. The pj is BenQ w1070. My initial plans were to cover WoS.

Before I start stapling away, I think I'll fire up the pj and just do a test with the fabric (WoS- SoW) to reach a decision.

Regardless, your insight is always appreciated.
I am very interested in your results. Please let us know how it turns out and, if possible pictures would be great. I am on the verge of placing a spandex order and am having a tough time deciding on white over silver or white over black. I think I will be using the new Epson Home Cinema 2040.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page