Carl's Ambient Light Rejecting? - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #151 of 294 Old 07-27-2016, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by impulse View Post
The screen border is 1/4" hardboard ripped down to 1 1/4" and covered with black velvet from joann's fabric. I used an air stapler to attach it. I used 2-sided carpet tape to adhere the velvet to the strips of hardboard. If I did it again I would buy the velvet tape from Carl's Place. It's expense but worth it. When you cut velvet it falls apart and becomes a mess and gets under the tape where you don't want it. It was a pain. Just get the Carl's stuff. The hardboard works well but you can buy 3/8" trim at HD, Menards, Lowes if you want to make it easier on yourself.
thank you... so its better to take velvet tape as border screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 294 Old 07-28-2016, 06:13 AM

Just got my Carl's ALR screen and got excited. When I unbox the ALR, I am pretty anxious in its elasticity when i touch it but quality is good. The delivery is very fast. It will be my first time to build my own home cinema. I requested and purchased a custom size of 60"x102" (110" diagonal) and the send me at this size 62"x106" which is they give allowance. So I was thinking to make it as 112" diameter screen size.

Right now, I couldn't test it because don't have the projector yet. I am still thinking of ordering the Epson Home Cinema 2045. Hope it will be good in my Carl's projector screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160726_201712.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1568985   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160726_201703.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1568993   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160726_201526.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1569001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160726_192219.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	1569009   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160726_190657.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	1569017  

Name:	IMG_20160726_120630.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	305.9 KB
ID:	1569025   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160726_120206.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1569033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160726_201726.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	1569041  
LondonBenji likes this.
post #153 of 294 Old 08-01-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts4313 View Post
Alright all - here are all the screenies. Some of these I had the flash still on like a dummy, but you should get a pretty good idea. I tried to take a few different angles. Let me know if there are any others you are looking for.

**These are just from my phone, no calibrations/enhancements. 4 lights - all 60 watt turned on, plus the entry way light (3x 30 watt lights). Screen is on 'bright cinema' with no adjustments att all.
Please can you post the actual video of your screen? I want to know how does it perform well?
LondonBenji likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 294 Old 08-01-2016, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverwin78 View Post
Please can you post the actual video of your screen? I want to know how does it perform well?
You too! Mine are still in the roll, I haven't even got the wood for the frame yet! I need some encouragement that I didn't make the wrong choice between this and the Cinegrey 5D!
post #155 of 294 Old 08-03-2016, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrgs13 View Post
We put this material next to Black diamond screen sample and couldn't notice much difference between the two. When I drive back there I'm going to get that black diamond sample from him and do some more comparison shots
That will be quite interesting. Has anyone compared Carl's ALR to Dark Energy Abyss ?
post #156 of 294 Old 08-03-2016, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2688 Post(s)
Liked: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ash View Post
That will be quite interesting. Has anyone compared Carl's ALR to Dark Energy Abyss ?
The comparisons I've seen between CarlsALR and the Elite Cinegrey5D are quite close (the Elite is a little more aggressive with the ability to hold slightly deeper blacks when hit by ambient light from an angle AND it gives a slightly brighter image on-axis with its higher peak-gain).
I know there are comparisons showing DE abyss and Cinegrey5D which can give an idea how the CarlsALR and DE abyss stack up.

From what I remember, the DE is quite a ways darker-colored but the CarlsALR is a tiny bit brighter on-axis and noticably brighter off-axis due to being a less aggressive light-fighter.
However, I think there was a bump in gain for the newest DEabyss which means it can now match or slightly exceed the CarlsALR on-axis brightness.

I'll try to find pictures/videos.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #157 of 294 Old 08-03-2016, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool, there are comparison pictures of the newest DEabyss and CarlsALR both in ambient light showing the difference in their ability to look dark-colored AND in a darker environment with some brighter content shown to give an idea of how their gain compares.

As you can see a shadow on the screen, some of the light hitting them is pretty straigh-on. If most/all of the ambient light was hitting the screens from a steeper angle I'd expect them both to appear a ways darker..particularly the DEA.

I just realized he took this picture with the CarlsALR sample backwards...silly.

They look just about the same gain/brightness in the picture and Stephen mentions in person the CarlsALR is only about 10% brighter.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new DEA vs CarlsALR color.jpg
Views:	2000
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	1583097   Click image for larger version

Name:	new DEA vs CarlsALR gain.jpg
Views:	1973
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	1583105  
Sam Ash likes this.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415

Last edited by Ftoast; 10-07-2016 at 01:22 PM.
post #158 of 294 Old 08-04-2016, 02:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
Cool, there are comparison pictures of the newest DEabyss and CarlsALR both in ambient light showing the difference in their ability to look dark-colored AND in a darker environment with some brighter content shown to give an idea of how their gain compares.

As you can see a shadow on the screen, some of the light hitting them is pretty straigh-on. If most/all of the ambient light was hitting the screens from a steeper angle I'd expect them both to appear a ways darker..particularly the DEA.

They look just about the same gain/brightness in the picture and Stephen mentions in person the CarlsALR is only about 10% brighter.
Nice to see a comparison. Both materials are pretty close in terms of how the image resolves on them. One thing that I have noticed is that when you look at those icons being projected, the white areas of the icon that falls on the abyss is retaining detail, whereas on CarlsALR the subtle details in the white areas are being lost or blown-out. Is this a camera exposure issue ? I guess a projector calibration procedure in relation to the CarlsALR material could solve the problem, same applies to detail in dark areas of an image.
post #159 of 294 Old 08-04-2016, 03:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ash View Post
Nice to see a comparison. Both materials are pretty close in terms of how the image resolves on them. One thing that I have noticed is that when you look at those icons being projected, the white areas of the icon that falls on the abyss is retaining detail, whereas on CarlsALR the subtle details in the white areas are being lost or blown-out. Is this a camera exposure issue ? I guess a projector calibration procedure in relation to the CarlsALR material could solve the problem, same applies to detail in dark areas of an image.
That's just the camera slightly over-exposing the shot. It's trying to properly fit its exposure to the larger DE screen which means the bright content will slightly over-expose on the slighty higher-gain screen. In person all the detail will be there, it'll just look like one screen is a little brighter and the other is a little dimmer.

The only ways I think a screen should be able to lose detail in-person is:
-texture that's large enough to physically muddle fine details,
-washout from competing light-sources killing dark/shadow-details,
-translucent material which can cause light content to bleed over into darker content, hurting ANSI contrast,
-gain being so low that darker content isn't easily visible.

Most/all of these are pretty much unheard of outside of a few AcousticTransparent screens.

post #160 of 294 Old 10-07-2016, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Can you link to these photos? I can find a similar photo on the Abyss web page, but it does not say it is a Carl's ALS. There is another photo with 'Goosebumps' which shows a much darker black that looks like the same comparison.

One thing I noticed on the Abyss page, ALL of the Abyss images and videos are taken at under a 10 degree viewing angle, and the Carl's in earlier posts shows incredible brightness at 80 (160) degrees. The Abyss specs show a much much more restrictive viewing angle of 45 (90) degrees, and they have no images at anywhere near a wide angle.

The worst part here.... has anyone checked out the videos on the Abyss web page? http://darkenergyscreens.simdif.com/page-12506791.html

Is it just me, or are those the worst looking videos ever? The room lighting looks normal, but the white and color areas of the tv image are completely blown out. One would think maybe they cranked the brightness up to megamax for the demo, but those videos show a picture that none of us would accept in a regular LCD TV, even if it were a gift.

Am I wrong here?

Last edited by lt9999; 10-07-2016 at 11:41 AM.
post #161 of 294 Old 10-07-2016, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt9999 View Post
Can you link to these photos? I can find a similar photo on the Abyss web page, but it does not say it is a Carl's ALS. There is another photo with 'Goosebumps' which shows a much darker black that looks like the same comparison.

One thing I noticed on the Abyss page, ALL of the Abyss images and videos are taken at under a 10 degree viewing angle, and the Carl's in earlier posts shows incredible brightness at 80 (160) degrees. The Abyss specs show a much much more restrictive viewing angle of 45 (90) degrees, and they have no images at anywhere near a wide angle.

The worst part here.... has anyone checked out the videos on the Abyss web page? http://darkenergyscreens.simdif.com/page-12506791.html

Is it just me, or are those the worst looking videos ever? The room lighting looks normal, but the white and color areas of the tv image are completely blown out. One would think maybe they cranked the brightness up to megamax for the demo, but those videos show a picture that none of us would accept in a regular LCD TV, even if it were a gift.

Am I wrong here?
Those pictures are from the DarkEnergyAbyss sellers' AVS page here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/450-ha...-photos-2.html
They're in posts number 55 and 60.

The TV image is getting blown out because the camera is trying to properly expose the dimmer screen. The brighter TV is way outside of the camera's range when it's trying to capture a darker image.
I was actually discussing this very same thing in one of the official threads where those pictures first popped up, because one or two folks were mentioning how much nicer the screen looked compared to the TV in the pictures..they didn't seem to realize it was simply the camera badly over-exposing the shots.
If the TV's backlight was set lower or the projector/screen was brighter or the Camera had that dual-exposure HDR function, then the TV would look much better and more like it does in person inside those photos.

post #162 of 294 Old 10-07-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
If the TV's backlight was set lower or the projector/screen was brighter or the Camera had that dual-exposure HDR function, then the TV would look much better and more like it does in person inside those photos.
That may be so, but they're running a business and had better get those videos off of their page ASAP. Seriously, they can't have such a poor video image of their screen if they want to sell that product. It's not hard to hire a proper video crew to film those examples.

I'll check out the other posts. But I hope they show some side shots as if I can't see any, there's no way I can go with that screen.

Any idea of pricing?
post #163 of 294 Old 10-07-2016, 02:32 PM

These are the DE. These are horridly blown out. It looks like someone cranked the brightness and color to 100. There are no better examples than this?
post #164 of 294 Old 10-07-2016, 02:38 PM

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...0&d=1451190987

Compared to the Carl's.

I took a good look at their stills on the DE web page, and most look to me blown out as well.

I'm going to have to order a sample, the photos aren't the greatest.

Last edited by lt9999; 10-07-2016 at 08:52 PM.
post #165 of 294 Old 10-08-2016, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

That being said, this comparison here in post 40 of that thread is pretty disappointing for Carl's ALR. Is Carl's ALR really that bad in comparison? I still haven't opened my two Carl's ALR 135" DIY screens, I don't know how much this other ALR screen material costs either:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
The following shots were taken in appreciable ambient light. The Carl's ALR sample is both sizable and placed to no disadvantage.

As shown...the difference in ALR performance and overall image quality is extreme, and not to be considered as being much in the way as a justification for spending less.

post #166 of 294 Old 10-08-2016, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...0&d=1451190987

Compared to the Carl's.

I took a good look at their stills on the DE web page, and most look to me blown out as well.

I'm going to have to order a sample, the photos aren't the greatest.
Samples will be a good idea to see how they both compare in the room you'll be using.

The DE screens cost about 5X as much as CarlsALR, and DE is a more aggressive light-fighter which ISN'T necessarily better considering the Carl'sALR material is already fairly aggressive against ambient light. Carl's will have a brighter off-axis picture and smoother uniformity even at slightly shorter throw-ratios, DE will hold deeper blacks in more light even when the light hits at slightly less extreme angles.

post #167 of 294 Old 10-08-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Samples will be a good idea to see how they both compare in the room you'll be using.

The DE screens cost about 5X as much as CarlsALR, and DE is a more aggressive light-fighter which ISN'T necessarily better considering the Carl'sALR material is already fairly aggressive against ambient light. Carl's will have a brighter off-axis picture and smoother uniformity even at slightly shorter throw-ratios, DE will hold deeper blacks in more light even when the light hits at slightly less extreme angles.
Thanks for all your help!

I actually just went with a Carl's order today because of a pricing estimate on the DE, and also because in the end, the DE wasn't available in larger than 60" anyway. In addition, I don't see how the DE is worth 5x more, a wider viewing angle is important in my case, and I also saw a different Carl's setup on AVS today in which the images were just fantastic. All of the DE images look terrible to me. I'm not trying to be a jerk-off, but they just do. The screen may look good in person, but DE is doing a poor job of demonstrating it.

Now.... onto a mount....
post #168 of 294 Old 10-09-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBenji View Post
That being said, this comparison here in post 40 of that thread is pretty disappointing for Carl's ALR. Is Carl's ALR really that bad in comparison? I still haven't opened my two Carl's ALR 135" DIY screens, I don't know how much this other ALR screen material costs either:
There doesn't seem to be bad/good here as the two products are not the same. The Carl's product has a MUCH wider viewing angle and seems to have better color reproduction, plus its price point is 80% less. The DE is never imaged in anything except 10-15 degrees of off-axis. It likely rejects more room light than Carl's, but there are more considerations on a screen than that. I think a more appropriate comparison is between the DE and all of the other high-gain and expensive material out there.

Plus, I would put more consideration into shots like the one that you reposted if all of the DE guys weren't posting terrible imaging of their products. Are you seeing what I'm seeing in those shots? The image is horrifying blown out color and lacks sharpness. To me, all of the DE images posted look like this, even on their web page. I don't know how anyone would pay $2,000 for a DE screen based upon images like that.

All of the posted images I've seen so far on the Carl's looked great.

I would like to see a full workup of both full size screens at multiple angles using properly calibrated projectors on each under the exact same lighting conditions, which is what all of the screen suppliers should be doing. It's kind of weird that they don't.
post #169 of 294 Old 10-09-2016, 11:36 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 268 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3692 Post(s)
Liked: 1704
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
By any common sense judgement, the Carl's ALR cannot be construed as being in the same league as, nor even designated as being a ALR Screen in comparison to the DEA Abyss.

(BTW...the carl's does NOT have a MUCH wider viewing cone.....just a wider one, and it still suffers greatly as far as vertical viewing as relates to PJ positioning...)

It's not weird that other Screen Mfg do not make the kind of direct comparisons as were just requested. "Shooting their selves in the Foot" come to mind. But I do know that Stephen has no lack of interest in doing so....just a lack of any full sized, competing MFG example to do such with.

Certainly, if one wanted to see professionally taken images, images that were carefully adjusted to compensate for the gain the screen exhibits vs other lessor performing applications, one might well indulge themselves in the resulting Eye Candy....and I'd be betting that there would be plenty who who find issue with such images....just as we all do with any overly promotional oriented, conveniently presented imagery.

Just try to find any example....anywhere....that portends to show a Mfg ALR screen in high ambient light in direct comparison to a LED TV. If we have to wait for you to come back with an example, that would be the last we'd see of you. I myself have seen painted ALR examples posted showing that exact same premise, and the same people who are issuing negative comments are doing exactly the same thing now.

A very few people take issue with the supposed loss of viewing angle...but also conveniently fail to point out how very much better that aspect of performance is than virtually ANY other truly high performance Mfg ALR Screen in existence. No...instead they compare it to applications such as Carl's ALR....a application that comes in a very poor second.

And price-wise, DEA to my knowledge has not a single offering priced at $2K. If that has changed (...and I seriously doubt it has...) then I will stand corrected. But I don't think I'm faced with that ignoble possibility. What is an accurate assessment is that DEA is priced literally $1000s below any other Mfg ALR Screen that can even begin to approach it in performance.

Level not any reproachful accusation of bias or promotion because I have absolutely nothing to do with the making of, selling of, or distribution of any DE applications. At first I did help to process initial trial orders and samples, but that stopped in the early spring of this year.

But I do have / have had personal, up front experience with DEA since the beginning (...as neither of the last couple posters do...) so I know wherein I speak. It's always easy for someone who cannot / will not spend for a more expensive application...DIY or Mfg...to find fault with such...but it is more a "Sour Grapes" sort of response if such comments are not prefaced with, or supported with actual hands on experience. Anyone / Everyone has the right to spend what they want...or can. But not to dismiss something because they simply cannot or will not ante-up.

Those who have taken the plunge and acquired a DEA screen are the only ones who can legitimately make any judgements, and because they did spend more than they would have had to for a Carl's ALR....and because virtually EVERY SINGLE ONE of them also obtained samples of both by which to make a accurate assessment, that speaks volumes since there are no posted reports of any dissatisfaction among them.

All that said, if someone other than Stephen happens to make a post comparing the two distinctly different applications, and goes on the make note of the ALR performance differences, then yeah, they should be told it is a patently unfair, if not wholly inappropriate comparison to make. Akin to comparing a Thoroughbred Racer to a Shetland Pony. Both will get you from one point to another....but one will do so decidedly faster....and in style.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #170 of 294 Old 10-09-2016, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
By any common sense judgement, the Carl's ALR cannot be construed as being in the same league as, nor even designated as being a ALR Screen in comparison to the DEA Abyss.
Spoiler!
if someone other than Stephen happens to make a post comparing the two distinctly different applications, and goes on the make note of the ALR performance differences, then yeah, they should be told it is a patently unfair, if not wholly inappropriate comparison to make. Akin to comparing a Thoroughbred Racer to a Shetland Pony. Both will get you from one point to another....but one will do so decidedly faster....and in style.
...Or you could just let Stephen know that some people might prefer some of his images taken with his projector set to a less severe degree of color-saturation..assuming you two are still business partners of some sort.
I know Stephen mentioned liking how those PJ settings looked in person, but he might be willing to try something a little different for a few shots.

For those unaware, DEabyss is in the ballpark of $800-1200 but size-limited to a 60inch height/122"-diagonal at 16:9 (at least until all the materials and the joiner are available and purchased at a larger size).
CarlsALR material is available up to a 116inch height/236"-16:9 with the 135" or smaller sizes costing around $160.
They are both very capable and fairly aggressive angular-reflective ALR screens. Carls is the less aggressive of the two which comes with the necessary caveats and strengths while the more aggressive DE has it's own inherent pros/cons.

Carls flexi-grey is a less agressive ALR screen (quite subtle and non-aggressive) which likewise has an even wider off-axis brightness but weaker blacks/darks in the presence of ambient light..and nobody is hating either one in naming their expected differences.
You CAN'T have aggressive side/window light-rejection without losing horizontal viewing-cone/brightness..the more aggressive the rejection, the more off-axis brightness you'll lose along that axis.

Last edited by Ftoast; 10-09-2016 at 02:33 PM.
post #171 of 294 Old 10-09-2016, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There doesn't seem to be bad/good here as the two products are not the same. The Carl's product has a MUCH wider viewing angle and seems to have better color reproduction, plus its price point is 80% less. The DE is never imaged in anything except 10-15 degrees of off-axis. It likely rejects more room light than Carl's, but there are more considerations on a screen than that. I think a more appropriate comparison is between the DE and all of the other high-gain and expensive material out there.

Plus, I would put more consideration into shots like the one that you reposted if all of the DE guys weren't posting terrible imaging of their products. Are you seeing what I'm seeing in those shots? The image is horrifying blown out color and lacks sharpness. To me, all of the DE images posted look like this, even on their web page. I don't know how anyone would pay $2,000 for a DE screen based upon images like that.

All of the posted images I've seen so far on the Carl's looked great.

I would like to see a full workup of both full size screens at multiple angles using properly calibrated projectors on each under the exact same lighting conditions, which is what all of the screen suppliers should be doing. It's kind of weird that they don't.
Honestly, no, I'm not very good at seeing a lot of the things that people here are able to pick out, though what even I can clearly see is the MUCH deeper blacks and ALR (which is what we're all here for isn't it) in the quote from MM I posted.

Now you guys know the tricks and what to look for so I do appreciate the everyone's contribution. I think we just need to see more Carl's ALR shots, from those that don't have a vested interest in making it look bad (not suggesting foul play, just that it removes any chance of bias.

On the images you posted the colours DO look.... well I don't know, if it wasn't what you said about them, I'd only be able to say that they just don't look... right? But I wouldn't know why. It kinda looks like the grey wall I'm projecting against right now.

Quote:
For those unaware, DEabyss is in the ballpark of $800-1200 but size-limited to a 60inch height/122"-diagonal at 16:9 (at least until all the materials and the joiner are available and purchased at a larger size).

CarlsALR material is available up to a 116inch height/236"-16:9 with the 135" or smaller sizes costing around $160.
And this is possibly the main reason I'd have to keep my Carl's, not because of the cost but because DE doesn't have the sizes I need/want however, some of those colour shots aside, the nice deeper black and actual ALR abilities I think would command the price tag though I don't know how much it would cost to get the DEA DIY in 135" 16:9 diagonal.

What this thread needs is more Carl's ALR pics!!

I need to make a decision on whether to sell mine and just go ahead and just build the damn screens!
post #172 of 294 Old 10-09-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBenji View Post
Honestly, no, I'm not very good at seeing a lot of the things that people here are able to pick out, though what even I can clearly see is the MUCH deeper blacks and ALR (which is what we're all here for isn't it) in the quote from MM I posted.

Now you guys know the tricks and what to look for so I do appreciate the everyone's contribution. I think we just need to see more Carl's ALR shots, from those that don't have a vested interest in making it look bad (not suggesting foul play, just that it removes any chance of bias.

On the images you posted the colours DO look.... well I don't know, if it wasn't what you said about them, I'd only be able to say that they just don't look... right? But I wouldn't know why. It kinda looks like the grey wall I'm projecting against right now.

And this is possibly the main reason I'd have to keep my Carl's, not because of the cost but because DE doesn't have the sizes I need/want however, some of those colour shots aside, the nice deeper black and actual ALR abilities I think would command the price tag though I don't know how much it would cost to get the DEA DIY in 135" 16:9 diagonal.

As far as tricks go, I'm just a newbie. I'm with you on the DE Abyss comparison images. They do little more than show more light rejection than Carls, but they really don't do more than that.

I just obtained a new RS500 and a $500 Quantum Instruments light meter and I'm planning on doing some very detailed imaging of the Carl's screen and posting a ton of specs and images from many angles. This won't occur until Christmas though. I'd like to find out just how big a screen can be filled with a calibrated JVC pj at 30% reduced brightness. The screen images will also come in handy for other Carl's buyers.

A big thanks to Matts4313 for his posts and images. That's what sold me originally.
LondonBenji and Ftoast like this.
post #173 of 294 Old 12-01-2016, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Issues with sparkles or hot spots?

Just got my new projector (Epson 5040ub) and I am doing some screen material testing. I have 3 Carl's Place materials hung in front of a white bedsheet (my temporary screen). ALR left, Flexiwhite center, Flexigray right.
The ALR looks great - ESPECIALLY in strong ambient light and the blacks are excellent. However, I do have a couple concerns. Near the top of the screen there is some shininess. Maybe sparkles, maybe hot spots, not sure, but it seems to be in areas where the material is a little wavy and not well-tensioned. Is anyone seeing this kind of thing on a taut screen?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3791.JPG
Views:	453
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1800641   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3794.JPG
Views:	445
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	1800649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3789.JPG
Views:	422
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1800657   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3780.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	1800665  
post #174 of 294 Old 12-01-2016, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf08 View Post
Just got my new projector (Epson 5040ub) and I am doing some screen material testing. I have 3 Carl's Place materials hung in front of a white bedsheet (my temporary screen). ALR left, Flexiwhite center, Flexigray right.
The ALR looks great - ESPECIALLY in strong ambient light and the blacks are excellent. However, I do have a couple concerns. Near the top of the screen there is some shininess. Maybe sparkles, maybe hot spots, not sure, but it seems to be in areas where the material is a little wavy and not well-tensioned. Is anyone seeing this kind of thing on a taut screen?
I don't notice any shine/sparkle/hotspotting on my Carl's ALR sample when it's flat, but putting wrinkles/waves in it can cause those areas to catch and reflect room-lights and noticeably brighten/darken the projected image because of the odd angles in the waves.
Does that sounds like what you're seeing?

post #175 of 294 Old 12-01-2016, 03:07 PM

@Ftoast : I think that might be what I am seeing, good call. The first image of the boat in my post above depicts what I was seeing fairly well. You can see variation in reflectivity in the "wrinkly" areas at the top of the ALR material sample. And yes, I did make sure I was projecting onto the "front" surface. Clearly, proper tensioning of the ALR material is critical!

The white screen material looked quite good in the dark (ALR still had blacker blacks), but there was no comparison when I turned the lights on in the room.

I think I am going to pull the trigger on this screen material, the image contrast on this material is strikingly good, especially with lights on! Even my wife's immediate, first look pick was the ALR sample - and she is not nearly as picky as I am!
post #176 of 294 Old 12-16-2016, 11:38 AM

Screen up and running

Built my screen and installed it. I'll post more pics of the screen in action later, but man - this is over the top good.

Blacks are great in light-controlled viewing (better than white screens), whites are nice and bright. Image sharpness got way better. No sparkles or hot spots. Even with a surprisingly high level of ambient lighting, the picture quality holds up, washes out a bit, but way better than the white screen I was using before. I have a dedicated media room, but did not want to paint it all black, so this screen gives me the freedom to keep the lighter room colors and even watch with some light during daytime.

I will reiterate - proper stretching of this material is VERY important. Probably more so than normal white screen material. I ended up with a small wrinkle in my screen and when projecting content with bright, uniform colors, I notice the wrinkle (mainly being critical of my job building the screen, not the material itself).

You get a high performance ALR screen for a fraction of the price of pre-built solutions. So glad I went the DIY route with this material.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3852.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	1834649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3851.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1834657   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (1).jpg
Views:	428
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	1835737  
LondonBenji likes this.

Last edited by DireWolf08; 12-17-2016 at 04:22 AM.
post #177 of 294 Old 12-17-2016, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

This thread still needs lots more pics! Post your Carl's ALR screens!
post #178 of 294 Old 02-01-2017, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Has anyone measured the actual gain on this screen? I'm wondering if it actually hits 1.5
post #179 of 294 Old 02-01-2017, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXRDISBEST View Post
Has anyone measured the actual gain on this screen? I'm wondering if it actually hits 1.5
I'd estimate it roughly around 1.1-1.2gain..Definitely below 1.4-1.5gain.

post #180 of 294 Old 02-01-2017, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Really want to try this screen out, Wanted it by super bowl. But about to pull the trigger last night and seen carl doesnt recommend alr on short throw projectors.
Would like someones opinion if they think this screen material would work for me. I have a lot of ambient light and a benq 1080st projector. I wish i would of got a 1070 now. but didnt know much at the time of purchasing.
BenQ 1080st 7' throw 135" currently on white-silver back milskin spandex
Ordered last night carls flexi white and considered the paint on it option
What should i do?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page