Carl's Ambient Light Rejecting? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #1 of 294 Old 12-10-2015, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Carl's Ambient Light Rejecting?

Sorry if this is a repost, but I cant find anything with the quick searches that I made. Are there any reviews on this vs the standard 'flexi' white/grey they offer? Will it dramatically change 3d performance? Are there any noticeable downsides?

Im wanting to do a box frame, probably 140in. Have an Epson 2045 and will be projecting from roughly 15 feet. The room has a few windows and white walls, so there is definitely ambient light. I used the projector on the wall last night and this morning, was shocked that it gave such a solid picture on a textured wall with no light control, could only imagine how much better it will look when I make a screen.

Also - from what I read its generally NOT advisable to do a curved screen, even though they look cool. Correct? Even a very slightly curved screen has *no* benefit?

Will probably leave the TV behind the box/screen. Wife wants to, anyways. So being able to easily take down the screen is a priority. Any tips on easy mounting?

This is a stupid question, but how do you all run wiring so that its not tacky? The media is all in the entertainment center where I will be mounting the screen. The projector will be across the room obviously. Do you just buy a ridiculously long HDMI cable and run through the walls? Are their guides for this? Im assuming not everyone moves their media to the rear of the room.

Thanks!! If its not obvious, this is my first projector, haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 294 Old 12-10-2015, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts4313 View Post
Sorry if this is a repost, but I cant find anything with the quick searches that I made. Are there any reviews on this vs the standard 'flexi' white/grey they offer? Will it dramatically change 3d performance? Are there any noticeable downsides?

Im wanting to do a box frame, probably 140in. Have an Epson 2045 and will be projecting from roughly 15 feet. The room has a few windows and white walls, so there is definitely ambient light. I used the projector on the wall last night and this morning, was shocked that it gave such a solid picture on a textured wall with no light control, could only imagine how much better it will look when I make a screen.

Also - from what I read its generally NOT advisable to do a curved screen, even though they look cool. Correct? Even a very slightly curved screen has *no* benefit?

Will probably leave the TV behind the box/screen. Wife wants to, anyways. So being able to easily take down the screen is a priority. Any tips on easy mounting?

This is a stupid question, but how do you all run wiring so that its not tacky? The media is all in the entertainment center where I will be mounting the screen. The projector will be across the room obviously. Do you just buy a ridiculously long HDMI cable and run through the walls? Are their guides for this? Im assuming not everyone moves their media to the rear of the room.

Thanks!! If its not obvious, this is my first projector, haha.
Hey Matt

Sounds like you have a similar setup as me. Yes, you buy a long HDMI and run it through the wall. Is this an apartment or house. Do you have access to run it through the walls? Are you ceiling mounting the projector?

Some food for thought: The 2045 has wireless Miracast. Can you buy a HDMI Miracast transmitter? That would alleviate the need for a cable. Not sure of the quality but hey, it's a wireless world! Might be worth some research.

I am receiving a sample of the ALR from Carl's and will report my findings. Based on the pictures on Carl's website I don't have high hopes.

For hanging the screen I use the heavy duty saw tooth picture hangers. Nice thing is when you take it down all you see is two screws and you can paint those. Then just some felt sliders on the bottom to protect the wall.

I didn't have good luck lining up my image to the curved screen I made do to pincushion.
post #3 of 294 Old 12-10-2015, 08:40 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 268 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3690 Post(s)
Liked: 1704
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Hi Matt,

Being a Professional Design / Installer who also makes all his own Screens, I believe I can walk you through everything your going to have to do.

First, a little more info please?
  • Is there Attic Space above the room in question?
  • Dimensions of the room (Height / Depth / Width) Screen wall location and specific Height.
  • "Exact" Location of Equipment Center...Is the wall where the Screen Interior or Exterior?

Let's get you past the logistics involved in prepping the room then we can work to knock out a great choice as far as a DIY screen.

But considerations such as Projector Throw Distance /Screen size / PJ Lumen output / Realistic Light conditions during viewing times will all combine to make the decision on Screen choice come together. 3D viewing also adds it's own considerations. But worry not, I'll know what it will take to optimize your end results. The fact you already have a particular PJ will either be the limiting or helpful factor when determining your screens acceptable size / surface configuration

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 294 Old 12-11-2015, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
First, a little more info please?
  • Is there Attic Space above the room in question?
  • Dimensions of the room (Height / Depth / Width) Screen wall location and specific Height.
  • "Exact" Location of Equipment Center...Is the wall where the Screen Interior or Exterior?
Hi MM,

Thanks for offering to help!

1. Yes there is an attic.
2. Room is odd shaped and actually joined to another room (living room opens up to a seating room). If we ignore the seating room for simplicity, the dimensions are: 23ft x 15'9. There are 3 walls that could be used for the screen - of the three the *most* prohibitive (ie - smallest) is 9'9 wide with an 8ft ceiling. Our ceiling is actually pitched, though, so the top of it is probably ~12ish ft high.
3. The location of the media is currently on the wall i referenced above. I have a small entertainment system and a 60" TV mounted there. We are open to re-arranging though - - or at least I am, have to talk the wife into it !! My initial thought is to actually just flip the room - IE - leave all the media on that side of the room, put the projector there, put the screen on the wall opposite where the couch is currently.

All 3 of the walls that we are considering putting the projector screen on are interior walls. As for mounting the projector - that becomes a little tougher. I know a lot of people ceiling mount, but with our very odd room lay out and pitched ceiling - - I think it would be impossible, or at least odd/ugly.

would pictures help?

thanks again!
post #5 of 294 Old 12-11-2015, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulse View Post
Hey Matt

Sounds like you have a similar setup as me. Yes, you buy a long HDMI and run it through the wall. Is this an apartment or house. Do you have access to run it through the walls? Are you ceiling mounting the projector?

Some food for thought: The 2045 has wireless Miracast. Can you buy a HDMI Miracast transmitter? That would alleviate the need for a cable. Not sure of the quality but hey, it's a wireless world! Might be worth some research.

I am receiving a sample of the ALR from Carl's and will report my findings. Based on the pictures on Carl's website I don't have high hopes.

For hanging the screen I use the heavy duty saw tooth picture hangers. Nice thing is when you take it down all you see is two screws and you can paint those. Then just some felt sliders on the bottom to protect the wall.

I didn't have good luck lining up my image to the curved screen I made do to pincushion.
impulse -

its a house. Not sure on where to put the projector. Figuring the layout is 1/2 of my dilemma right now. Ceiling mounting is going to be difficult with the room layout.

why are you not optimistic about the ALR material? its roughly a 200% premium to other materials, so I figured it was the top choice?

Thanks
post #6 of 294 Old 12-11-2015, 06:10 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:

why are you not optimistic about the ALR material? its roughly a 200% premium to other materials, so I figured it was the top choice?

Thanks
Oh Lord......,

WC Fields made a Movie about you.
I'm a fan and advocate of some of Carl's stuff, but price alone cannot validate anything.

Don't assume anything based on price alone...that's what make DIY such a spectacular way to go.

Pictures and a overhead sketch of the floor plan would help out immensely...in fact both are a prerequisite to giving accurate good advice. And don't worry, everything I design and install is all based on cosmetics and aesthetics. If a good looking installation can be done, you'll get one.

Great news about the Attic and Interior walls. We'll have this nailed down.

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #7 of 294 Old 12-11-2015, 06:50 AM

The reason I'm not too excited about the product is based on the pictures on the site.

Take a look. You can see a lot of sparkles in the material. That is going to lead to artifacting. But I am also interested.

I wonder if you can buy elites alr 3D material raw? Does anyone know?
post #8 of 294 Old 12-11-2015, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2688 Post(s)
Liked: 877
Quote:
The reason I'm not too excited about the product is based on the pictures on the site.

Take a look. You can see a lot of sparkles in the material. That is going to lead to artifacting. But I am also interested.

You can currently buy the 135"-16:9 raw "designer cut" series of both the original Cinegrey and the Cinegrey5D for around $60/$180 respectively.
Elite recently said the Cinegrey3D is also going to be available in the raw, but I don't think it's available quite yet. I'd expect the price to be similar to the 5D which is about the same cost as this at 135".

The 3D and 5D seem to give really solid performance for the price...I'm also curious if the Polarstar will be available as an affordable material-only option at some point.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #9 of 294 Old 12-11-2015, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh Lord......,

WC Fields made a Movie about you.
I'm a fan and advocate of some of Carl's stuff, but price alone cannot validate anything.

Don't assume anything based on price alone...that's what make DIY such a spectacular way to go.

Pictures and a overhead sketch of the floor plan would help out immensely...in fact both are a prerequisite to giving accurate good advice. And don't worry, everything I design and install is all based on cosmetics and aesthetics. If a good looking installation can be done, you'll get one.

Great news about the Attic and Interior walls. We'll have this nailed down.
Please excuse the messiness - took a quick photo as I was heading out.

As you can tell, I have no clue what I am doing! haha. I have an idea of what I want the screen to be - a protruding box frame, preferably edge less, with LED lights behind it (room lighting more than colored 'ambi-light' - just something to turn on during the evening so the room is black).

And you are right about price - I have just seen a lot of good reviews on the stuff Carls sells and assumed they considered this to be their "premium" material.

EDIT - Looks like there are some other ALR screen options besides Carls. Is there a consensus 'best value'?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	From BR.jpg
Views:	2047
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	1113426   Click image for larger version

Name:	From SR.jpg
Views:	1796
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	1113434  

Last edited by Matts4313; 12-11-2015 at 01:21 PM.
post #10 of 294 Old 12-11-2015, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
You can currently buy the 135"-16:9 raw "designer cut" series of both the original Cinegrey and the Cinegrey5D for around $60/$180 respectively.
Elite recently said the Cinegrey3D is also going to be available in the raw, but I don't think it's available quite yet. I'd expect the price to be similar to the 5D which is about the same cost as this at 135".

The 3D and 5D seem to give really solid performance for the price...I'm also curious if the Polarstar will be available as an affordable material-only option at some point.

Interesting. That is the same price (roughly) as Carls for Flexigrey and ALR... Are the Cinegrey considered better? Do you order the "designer cut" directly from the manufacturer?

I appreciate all of you guys sharing your input!
post #11 of 294 Old 12-11-2015, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Gotcha. When will you be getting your sample in? Interested to hear your findings.

Just out of curiosity, how much curve did you make in your curved screen? It seems like its considered a bad idea, so i am giving up on the idea, but man do they look cool.

I think I am going to attempt something like the attached, though I might have it protrude a little more off the wall and without the color changing lights.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	402967942.jpg
Views:	2046
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	1113498  
post #12 of 294 Old 12-11-2015, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting. That is the same price (roughly) as Carls for Flexigrey and ALR... Are the Cinegrey considered better? Do you order the "designer cut" directly from the manufacturer?

I appreciate all of you guys sharing your input!
The Cinegrey classic is pretty modest at fighting light, same with Carl's Flexi/Pro grey materials. The 5D and 3D are a lot more aggressive (like the Carl's ALR) which can often lead to visible texture/artifacts, though I'd bet the Elite materials look cleaner than the Carl's which looks sparkly even in the pictures. The Elite 3D and Polar are reviewed to be particularly good, so an eventual $200-ish material-only release would be fantastic.

I believe the Designer Cut series is available through the manufacturer and Amazon and other places..I want to say Elite and Amazon had it the cheapest when I was looking.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #13 of 294 Old 12-11-2015, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
The Cinegrey classic is pretty modest at fighting light, same with Carl's Flexi/Pro grey materials. The 5D and 3D are a lot more aggressive (like the Carl's ALR) which can often lead to visible texture/artifacts, though I'd bet the Elite materials look cleaner than the Carl's which looks sparkly even in the pictures. The Elite 3D and Polar are reviewed to be particularly good, so an eventual $200-ish material-only release would be fantastic.

I believe the Designer Cut series is available through the manufacturer and Amazon and other places..I want to say Elite and Amazon had it the cheapest when I was looking.
hmm.. it looks like the Cinegrey Designer Cuts are out of stock everywhere. Its a shame too, as they looked reasonably priced.
post #14 of 294 Old 12-12-2015, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Snip

Was the above picture what you were needing? I spent some more time researching and have a little bit better idea. I am still deciding on screen material and exact build of the frame.

Any help on pick the material and wood recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
post #15 of 294 Old 12-13-2015, 02:48 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Was the above picture what you were needing? I spent some more time researching and have a little bit better idea. I am still deciding on screen material and exact build of the frame.

Any help on pick the material and wood recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Attic over all that eh?

OK...that's good.

Look to any of my many Threads on Frame construction and material choices, I still beleive you should consider a Painted Flexi-white

post #16 of 294 Old 12-13-2015, 03:02 PM

I used a 1x6 for the curve so it was around 4.5" for a 92" screen

I received the sample from Carl's and it looks promising. No sparkles like the pics indicate. The color is closer to their silver screen material.

I'll do some testing and post some pics.
post #17 of 294 Old 12-13-2015, 06:55 PM

Well I did some testing.....

The ALR material looks descent. I compared it to flexiwhite and flexigray. I would put the gain at 1.0. Which is a good thing. The whites were never as bright as the flexiwhite no matter what angle you look at it from but the whites are brighter than the flexigray. However, it is many shades darker in blacks then either the flexiwhite or gray obviously.

So the material does what it's intended to do. There are the obvious draw backs. Standing up from a seated position with the projector on the coffee table got you a brighter picture. In the seated position ALR is comparable in brightness to the flexigray. But the blacks are still superior.

The hot spotting is really hard to anylize on such a small sample. It is definitely there, it's just hard to tell what the impact is going to be on a full size screen.

The colors did look better on the ALR compared to the flexigray but I think this is a calibration to the screen issue.

I think the real comment here is I am confident a person could buy this material and be very happy with it. I didn't see any major flaws in the material.

Last edited by impulse; 12-14-2015 at 01:20 PM. Reason: misinfo
post #18 of 294 Old 12-14-2015, 11:57 AM

Left to right. Silver screen, ALR, Flexigray.

I have a Flexiwhite portable screen that hangs in front of my TV.

Testing was done with an uncalibrated Mits. HD1000U. To be upgraded tonight with BenQ HT2050.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	alr1.jpg
Views:	2157
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	1120458   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0086.jpg
Views:	2138
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1120754   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0069.jpg
Views:	2169
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	1120762   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0084.jpg
Views:	2334
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1120770   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0082.JPG
Views:	2548
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	1120778  

Last edited by impulse; 12-14-2015 at 01:11 PM. Reason: typo
post #19 of 294 Old 12-14-2015, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think the real comment here is I am confident a person could buy this material and be very happy with it. I didn't see any major flaws in the material.

Thats great news. Do you have any experience with the Cinegrey 5d? Do you think its similar?
post #20 of 294 Old 12-14-2015, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Attic over all that eh?

OK...that's good.

Look to any of my many Threads on Frame construction and material choices, I still beleive you should consider a Painted Flexi-white

I think I have read your previous recommendations, but they are all running together now (all the different suggestions).

You recommend Poplar, right? That is probably what I will do. Any thoughts on the hardboard backing? Mainly to prevent damage if a kid did something to it.

Im scared to pain the screen. Dont think I have the skills/talent/tools. Would much prefer to buy the screen. If I had the funds, I would buy that new one that youve come out with!
post #21 of 294 Old 12-15-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Thats great news. Do you have any experience with the Cinegrey 5d? Do you think its similar?
No experience. But it hasn't received glowing reviews here. The 3d looks to get better reviewed but who knows right? I saw your other thread and i have to say that seems so overkill. Why are you hell bent on the hardboard?

If you want to take that screen up and down do not use hardboard! Even in 1/8" it's too heavy to be carrying around IMO. That's what I used to build my curved screen and it was too heavy.

Where are you at now? Did you see the pic of my screen? That hangs directly over my TV. Is that what you're aiming for?

I think after testing i'm going to give the Carls ALR a full screen try. It's still the cheapest and I thought it looked good.
Morames likes this.
post #22 of 294 Old 12-15-2015, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
No experience. But it hasn't received glowing reviews here. The 3d looks to get better reviewed but who knows right? I saw your other thread and i have to say that seems so overkill. Why are you hell bent on the hardboard?

If you want to take that screen up and down do not use hardboard! Even in 1/8" it's too heavy to be carrying around IMO. That's what I used to build my curved screen and it was too heavy.

Where are you at now? Did you see the pic of my screen? That hangs directly over my TV. Is that what you're aiming for?

I think after testing i'm going to give the Carls ALR a full screen try. It's still the cheapest and I thought it looked good.

Still figuring it out. Maybe hardboard is the wrong term, thats what the guy on that link called it. When I went to Home Depot they had very thin MDF (?) sheets. They couldnt have weighed more than ~10ish lbs to cover the whole front. The idea was that if a football went flying into it, it wouldnt rip the screen or create any sort of issues with the staples. My son is 10 and I coach his football team. Its not uncommon to have 5-7 10 year old boys running around my house like crazy people

As for your pic, yup thats the general idea. I think I am slowly convincing my wife into taking the TV down and just going with the projector. I simply posed the question "You really want to take down a 130 inch frame every time you want to use the 60 inch plasma? And when its down, where are you going to put it?"

I might go ahead and take the jump into the ARL screen as well. I dont trust myself doing the paint and it sounds like you feel confident in it.
post #23 of 294 Old 12-16-2015, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quick update - I spoke with Carls today and it would appear the ALR material is brand new; which is why its near impossible to find any reviews about it. When asked what would be a comparable product on the market, I was told the screen is most like the Black Diamond.

Quick search shows that tBD are pretty highly rated (outside of their durability). Looks like they are crazy expensive though! It was like $4200 for a 120 inch version at best buy. I went ahead and ordered Carls, hope it meets expectations. If not, my fall back is doing a painted screen.
post #24 of 294 Old 12-16-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Quick update - I spoke with Carls today and it would appear the ALR material is brand new; which is why its near impossible to find any reviews about it. When asked what would be a comparable product on the market, I was told the screen is most like the Black Diamond.

Quick search shows that tBD are pretty highly rated (outside of their durability). Looks like they are crazy expensive though! It was like $4200 for a 120 inch version at best buy. I went ahead and ordered Carls, hope it meets expectations. If not, my fall back is doing a painted screen.
Can you please update this thread with straight on and 45 degree pics if you get them before I do? I did not order yet. Did you order from Amazon or Carl's? Size? Price?

I have a feeling this is going to end up being a good screen material because the gain is not too high so the artifacting (word?) will be minimal.

Great combo with your projector! I loved the shadow detail on the 2045 and it should bring out some lost contrast.

You'll have to observe some best practices when mounting to hit the sweet/brightest spot.
post #25 of 294 Old 12-16-2015, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Can you please update this thread with straight on and 45 degree pics if you get them before I do? I did not order yet. Did you order from Amazon or Carl's? Size? Price?

I have a feeling this is going to end up being a good screen material because the gain is not too high so the artifacting (word?) will be minimal.

Great combo with your projector! I loved the shadow detail on the 2045 and it should bring out some lost contrast.

You'll have to observe some best practices when mounting to hit the sweet/brightest spot.
I will be happy to provide feedback once I get it. My plan is to build the frame this weekend, with mounting the screen/projector on Christmas Eve night. The kids are going to come out to quite the surprise Christmas morning. It might be ~10ish days before I have a review with all the pictures.

I had $100 amazon GC, so I ordered through there. Unfortunately this is one of the few Carls screens that dont qualify for prime. Boo!

The screen was $170 for the 135 inch. I am going to make a (roughly) 132inch screen. That should give me a little breathing room.

I realize its going to be quite the project to get this all lined up properly. The plus side of building this all my self though - I will be able to mount the projector first to test it, then build the screen to spec!

Last edited by Matts4313; 12-16-2015 at 02:31 PM.
post #26 of 294 Old 12-20-2015, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Left to right. Silver screen, ALR, Flexigray.

I have a Flexiwhite portable screen that hangs in front of my TV.

Testing was done with an uncalibrated Mits. HD1000U. To be upgraded tonight with BenQ HT2050.

Thoughts?
Thanks for sharing the comparison photos,
I wanted to order these samples but shipping cost to my country from Carl's ebay store is $120, a bit high for a $1 samples

I have a similar setting as Matts4313, Epson 2040 with an untreated room (all white walls)
and even viewing a movie at complete darkness with white reflective walls all around is unpleasant, The room literally lit up from the projector and black and contrast suffers a lot.

So I considered FlexiGray to improve black level and contrast.

But your photos of Carl's samples made me think again, the color brightness of FlexiGray seems to be too dull

maybe I will consider ALR or painting on FlexiGray/White as MississippiMan and Ftoast suggested in other posts.

my problem is that I'm not in the US so finding the right painting is a mystery to me
post #27 of 294 Old 12-20-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morel View Post
Thanks for sharing the comparison photos,
I wanted to order these samples but shipping cost to my country from Carl's ebay store is $120, a bit high for a $1 samples

I have a similar setting as Matts4313, Epson 2040 with an untreated room (all white walls)
and even viewing a movie at complete darkness with white reflective walls all around is unpleasant, The room literally lit up from the projector and black and contrast suffers a lot.

So I considered FlexiGray to improve black level and contrast.

But your photos of Carl's samples made me think again, the color brightness of FlexiGray seems to be too dull

maybe I will consider ALR or painting on FlexiGray/White as MississippiMan and Ftoast suggested in other posts.

my problem is that I'm not in the US so finding the right painting is a mystery to me
Your observations were correct. Even well off axis the ALR looks best. At 45 degrees and beyond the brightness of the flexigray and the ALR are very similar. However the blacks on the ALR are always far superior. I will be making a screen with this material.

At the price the ALR is sold for I honestly don't know why anyone would try to paint an advanced screen mix. The ALR is actually cheaper!

The only reason you should be painting a screen is if you are painting directly on your wall with a simple solution. Thats the only way it would be cheaper. Or if you are doing it purely for the sport.

I am not going to be painting anymore screens. There is no longer a reason.
post #28 of 294 Old 12-20-2015, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Your observations were correct. Even well off axis the ALR looks best. At 45 degrees and beyond the brightness of the flexigray and the ALR are very similar. However the blacks on the ALR are always far superior. I will be making a screen with this material.

At the price the ALR is sold for I honestly don't know why anyone would try to paint an advanced screen mix. The ALR is actually cheaper!

The only reason you should be painting a screen is if you are painting directly on your wall with a simple solution. Thats the only way it would be cheaper. Or if you are doing it purely for the sport.

I am not going to be painting anymore screens. There is no longer a reason.
My sediments exactly. I just ordered Carl's ALR material myself. Here's my copy/paste from another thread I just posted in:

Update: no local hardware stores have OSB or drywall or playwood or anything bigger than 4'x8'.
no fabric store has blackout material or anything suitable wider than 54". My edgeless screen frame is 54x96, but I need about 6" more material to fold over and staple the back.
I went to lowes and got a quote for the ALR paint mix I was going to try... ouch too much money IMO.
So I ordered Carl's ALR fabric just now. After paint cost, and whatever I would end up buying for my screen, it would be just below what Carl's no hassle ALR fabric is.

I don't watch 3D often, but with the 2200 lumens of the benq 2050 and epson 2045 (I own both right now), I should be fine with the darker ALR material. Epson 2045 is known for bright 3D.

SO thanks everyone for your suggestions! Hopefully I have a update for you soon. Scheduled to arrive wednesday.
post #29 of 294 Old 12-20-2015, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Bobbyc, will you be able to mount your projector/s farther back or will you still be mounting around 9.5ft back?

post #30 of 294 Old 12-20-2015, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
The guys here did a wonderful job finding the right paint mixtures and probably it's better than this ALR material, it would be interested to see the difference.
but for me as I don't able to get these paints, I think I will take your suggestion and get an ALR fabric.

Last edited by morel; 12-20-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page