Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-21-2016, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Thin side borders

Anyone have any ideas for thin side borders for a painted wall? I was thinking about using 2 inch velcro as I read someone used, but I'm worried about the way that will look in the family room. I've seen people get molding from home depot, but that seems to be 3 inches or more. I need something right around 2 inches as I need to get as far over to one side of the wall as possible because of the seating position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-21-2016, 04:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2013 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Go to the big apron or vest stores and go to the trim area and take a look. There are all kinds of sizes of trim some is even made out of foam. You can paint it or cover it with velvet or even put black flocking on it. there are all kind of tapes also in velvets and flat blacks that will work. Getting that close to a side wall might cause reflections and where do you have your speakers?

Bud
post #3 of 13 Old 01-21-2016, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2683 Post(s)
Liked: 874
Carl's Place online and fabric stores sell velvet tape (material on one side, sticky on the other) and, like BUD mentioned, you can get trim in sizes as thin as 1/2"-3/4" and 2" is no problem.

If you can use dark-colored paint or hang dark-colored fabric on the left/right-side walls (and ceiling if possible) that'll help increase immersion AND keep your contrast higher by cutting down nearby reflections that can make the screen wash itself out even when lights in the room are off.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-21-2016, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
Go to the big apron or vest stores and go to the trim area and take a look. There are all kinds of sizes of trim some is even made out of foam. You can paint it or cover it with velvet or even put black flocking on it. there are all kind of tapes also in velvets and flat blacks that will work. Getting that close to a side wall might cause reflections and where do you have your speakers?
I'm planning to put them under the screen.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-21-2016, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Ditto on the velvet tape. I bought the Carl's Place stuff off Amazon and it works great on my painted wall.

post #6 of 13 Old 01-28-2016, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So thinking more about this, I was planning to use flat 1 3/4 to 2 inch wide wood and cover in velvet, but mounting to the wall is a problem. I can't screw or nail it in as it will be covered in velvet. Any type of hanging will stick out a bit which I think will look funny on a painted wall. I was thinking of putting those claw hangers on the back of the border so hanging this giant border is less critical. Does anyone know where I can find trim strips that have like half the edge thinner so I can mount the claw hooks and have it be flat against the wall?
post #7 of 13 Old 01-28-2016, 06:55 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked: 1618
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Not sure what is so daunting or worrisome with using 1.5" finish Nails through Velvet wrapped MDF Trim? I do it 99% of the time.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #8 of 13 Old 01-28-2016, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That won't ruin the velvet or look bad? I need a finish nailer for that right?
post #9 of 13 Old 01-28-2016, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
So thinking more about this, I was planning to use flat 1 3/4 to 2 inch wide wood and cover in velvet, but mounting to the wall is a problem. I can't screw or nail it in as it will be covered in velvet. Any type of hanging will stick out a bit which I think will look funny on a painted wall. I was thinking of putting those claw hangers on the back of the border so hanging this giant border is less critical. Does anyone know where I can find trim strips that have like half the edge thinner so I can mount the claw hooks and have it be flat against the wall?
Small finish-nails can be shot through so they basically hide in it under the velvet without showing a hole from what I've heard.

Will the trim be wrapped completely in velvet or will there be a bare spot/line along the back/wall-facing side?
If there's a bare wood space on the back it'll naturally be inset a little because of the thickness of the material and the common small groove on the backside of most trim..this may give you the space you need depending on the depth of your hanger options.

If the depth is too shallow for your claw hanger, something lower-profile like command hooks may work better (I've heard they can hold a whole screen, so why not a border).
Or there's industrial strength dual-sided tape if your clearance is too tight even for a command hook style attachment (once again heard of it holding a whole screen, so a frame should be cake).

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #10 of 13 Old 01-28-2016, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Which command hooks are you talking about and how would that work, they would just grab the velvet on the back? I like the idea of the nails, I"m assuming a brad nailer would work, but given that I would be using the nailer stapler for this one project, is there inexpensive tool that would work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
Small finish-nails can be shot through so they basically hide in it under the velvet without showing a hole from what I've heard.

Will the trim be wrapped completely in velvet or will there be a bare spot/line along the back/wall-facing side?
If there's a bare wood space on the back it'll naturally be inset a little because of the thickness of the material and the common small groove on the backside of most trim..this may give you the space you need depending on the depth of your hanger options.

If the depth is too shallow for your claw hanger, something lower-profile like command hooks may work better (I've heard they can hold a whole screen, so why not a border).
Or there's industrial strength dual-sided tape if your clearance is too tight even for a command hook style attachment (once again heard of it holding a whole screen, so a frame should be cake).
post #11 of 13 Old 01-28-2016, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Which command hooks are you talking about and how would that work, they would just grab the velvet on the back? I like the idea of the nails, I"m assuming a brad nailer would work, but given that I would be using the nailer stapler for this one project, is there inexpensive tool that would work?
I can't say which ones for sure since they never specified.
It would only work with some bare wood (or something similarly flat and solid) to hold to, not if the velvet is wrapped 100% around.

I do think the nails would be the best way to go, but I'm not sure if a precise manual tool would work at all since I assume you'd need the gun to shoot them threw and a little into the wood..BUT if it's a situation where you can simply hammer and then use a hammer+punch/chisel for the last couple pounds, that'd be the cheap way to go.
I believe most velvet can be "dented" with a hammer, so that's what you're trying to avoid.

post #12 of 13 Old 01-28-2016, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
I can't say which ones for sure since they never specified.
It would only work with some bare wood (or something similarly flat and solid) to hold to, not if the velvet is wrapped 100% around.

I do think the nails would be the best way to go, but I'm not sure if a precise manual tool would work at all since I assume you'd need the gun to shoot them threw and a little into the wood..BUT if it's a situation where you can simply hammer and then use a hammer+punch/chisel for the last couple pounds, that'd be the cheap way to go.
I believe most velvet can be "dented" with a hammer, so that's what you're trying to avoid.
I'm assuming I would need some type of nail gun, but the cheap electric guns I've seen don't get very good reviews. So was hoping someone had a suggestion on an inexpensive gun that I could use for the project.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-28-2016, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I'm assuming I would need some type of nail gun, but the cheap electric guns I've seen don't get very good reviews. So was hoping someone had a suggestion on an inexpensive gun that I could use for the project.
Just use carpet tape. Its super thin two sided tape and plenty strong to hold the trim. Cut the velvet flush with the back edge of the trim and apply the tape to the back side. Then just stick it to the wall. Just make sure you're lined up right cause the stuff sticks! A 4ft level will aid in the lining it up part.http://www.menards.com/main/home-dec...46321776677044
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page