Anyone build a false wall and covered with spandex floor to ceiling? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-09-2016, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Anyone build a false wall and covered with spandex floor to ceiling?

I'm contemplating a new DIY AT screen and rather than build an actual 136" screen to hang on the wall, I'm wondering about building a full size false wall that I will cover with white over black spandex, floor to ceiling, wall to wall with all speakers and equipment behind this wall, virtually hiding everything. My idea is to completely hide the idea that there is a screen at all, appearing as just a normal wall (made of spandex for AT properties) that comes to life when the image is projected.
I know that the material would need to be seamed, but this could be done with horizontal seams running the full length below and above the screen image height so that the seam would not interfere with the picture.
Anyone done this or seen it done?
Bad idea? I know I'd need to get a projector with excellent blacks and contrast since masking would be very difficult.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-09-2016, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCJ View Post
I'm contemplating a new DIY AT screen and rather than build an actual 136" screen to hang on the wall, I'm wondering about building a full size false wall that I will cover with white over black spandex, floor to ceiling, wall to wall with all speakers and equipment behind this wall, virtually hiding everything. My idea is to completely hide the idea that there is a screen at all, appearing as just a normal wall (made of spandex for AT properties) that comes to life when the image is projected.
I know that the material would need to be seamed, but this could be done with horizontal seams running the full length below and above the screen image height so that the seam would not interfere with the picture.
Anyone done this or seen it done?
Bad idea? I know I'd need to get a projector with excellent blacks and contrast since masking would be very difficult.
Yes. Very doable and great way to hide everything. I did this in a basement with silver over white spandex and the results were excellent. The customer wanted the better black level of the silver. However, I believe white over black is a better solution. You can get white and black spandex in 120" tall from spandex world. No seams! And, white over black gives better PQ IMO.

The IR control should go through the spandex as well if need be.

The best thing is you never have to decide on a permanent screen size. Great solution. Only downside is no border but the benefits outweigh that one downside IMO.http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/browse/71
post #3 of 9 Old 02-09-2016, 11:16 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked: 1621
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
the suggestion to use 120 inch wide spandex is absolutely right on the money, and audibly there will be not enough of a difference between it and regular Milliskin to matter. However you will want to use the standard black 60 inch wide Milliskin for the rear layer....

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-09-2016, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I think that would be pretty cool. Since the spandex can be semi transparent you may need multiple layers to hide the speakers & the wood frame in which you will connect the seams. Many people in the DIY section using spandex encorporate white spandex over a silver spandex. This will help hide the workings behind the screen & it will also give your image a performance boost. This would in turn create a light gray wall of course, but that may look just as good if not better... making it look more like an accent wall. The added boost in contrast from the light gray may even give you enough added performance, so masking isnt as necessary.

If you still feel like you need masking I may have an idea thats just as crazy as the idea of this whole project. What if while your constructing the frame, to connect the seams, you build that frame with the rectangular screen shape in mind. Once the frame is built you could line the screen shape with cork, then once the project is completed, you could simply tack your own form of masking to the screen. This would also allow different screen configurations such as 2:35:1-16:10. Then after the movie you could just take the masking down leaving you with a clean accent wall.

Even though this may be a radical Idea...I believe if its done properly it could be a really cool & unique project. I hope a few other DIYrs get involved with this project because they could probably give you better advice on the actual construction of the wall & things to consider, but I would love to see it happen. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Stephen McGuire
Dark Energy Screens
post #5 of 9 Old 02-09-2016, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the replies and positive feedback!
Is there any decrease in picture quality between the 120" white spandex and the white milliskin?
Would all the surrounding white/gray spandex cause any degradation to the picture? This is a concern as it is most often preferable to have the screen on a dark wall or surrounded by black velvet.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-09-2016, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This sounds exactly like what I want to do in my new house. Subscribing for tips and outcome!
post #7 of 9 Old 02-09-2016, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. Brown View Post
This sounds exactly like what I want to do in my new house. Subscribing for tips and outcome!
I'm not sure this will be the route I go, so don't wait on me. Still considering a zero edge screen and cabinetry for the screen wall.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-09-2016, 03:57 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked: 1621
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCJ View Post
Thanks for the replies and positive feedback!
Is there any decrease in picture quality between the 120" white spandex and the white milliskin?
Would all the surrounding white/gray spandex cause any degradation to the picture? This is a concern as it is most often preferable to have the screen on a dark wall or surrounded by black velvet.
There should be no image quality lost between the two types of spandex.

As far as the screen wall goes, it's a popular misconception that the color or reflectivity of the rear wall can affect the performance of the screen area itself. Such is only the case if the following applies.

There will be enough directed, reflected, or ambient light to illuminate the screen wall around the projected area.
(...the light output of the screen cannot have any effect whatsoever unless such light is reflected back to hit the screen itself....)

In such a case, there is only a perceived reduction of image quality. Having a darker surrounding area in a more lit environment simply helps the mind's eye perceive the blachelps the mind's eye perceive the blacks that are within the image area as being darker than they really are.

In a totally darkend room, the rear wall has no effect on the image quality at all.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings

Last edited by MississippiMan; 02-09-2016 at 04:05 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-05-2016, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Where are the pics?

Would be cool to see those frames and screen wall.

Brad
AVR Anthen AVM 60 Amp Emotiva XPA-7 & XPA-5 Sources Oppo 203, FireTV, FiOS
Speakers Atmos 7.2.4 - TruAudio B23-465s (LCRs), TruAudio B23-265s (SL/R & SB), Dual SVS PC-2000s (Subs), 4 In Ceilings
PJ JVC RS500 Screen 153" DIY 2.35:1 Spandex
My crazy long build Coffered Ceiling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page