White BOC vs Grey BOC vs Carl's FlexiGray - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-15-2016, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 106
White BOC vs Grey BOC vs Carl's FlexiGray

I recently painted my Flat White BOC to Flat Grey with cheap latex paint and the improvement is TERRIFIC. Now, will I get the same level (or better ?) of improvement if i change to Carl's FlexiGray Projector Screen Material (High Contrast Gray)

http://www.carlofet.com/projector-sc...#.VsJBdvkrLDc?

OR Can i further improve my screen by using some of the paint mixes on this section, I have access to ACE paints locally.

Here is my screen against a flat white wall.

Last edited by qguy; 02-15-2016 at 01:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-15-2016, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
Stick with that, if it looks TERRIFIC!

Bud
post #3 of 7 Old 02-15-2016, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

well you know how it goes, there could be something that is "TERRIFICER""

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
Stick with that, if it looks TERRIFIC!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-16-2016, 03:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
That shade of gray looks to me. If you have enough lumens to get a nice bright image off of that I would stick with it. I do know the urge to get to TERRIFICER but in most cases where you are now changing things in the room will get you there quicker. The big art work next to the screen is nice but the glass will reflect a lot of light as will ceiling and walls. If they have to remain as they are and image looks great just enjoy your gray screen. Mine is just a tad darker than yours and I have no desire to change it.

Bud
post #5 of 7 Old 02-16-2016, 04:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2688 Post(s)
Liked: 877
At your size you could get the FlexiGrey around $65 which should give a similar picture with a slight increase to brightness and possibly a slight improvment for blacks if the screen's color is visibly darker than the paint when the projector is off.
The Carl's ALR for around $125 should give an equal or larger increase to brightness as the FlexiGrey when seated relatively near the middle while also giving a much more noticeable improvement for fighting against the nearby wall and ceiling reflections AND better fighting lights that hit it from an angle.
If you're thinking about spending the money for a screen material and want a visible improvement to make it feel worth it, I'd suggest spending the extra for the CarlsALR instead of the FlexiGrey..it'll be a much bigger difference while costing less than any other ALR material available.

As far as paint options, the fact that a nice flat-grey is working for you along with that screen-size is a nice benefit..it means you could easily go with something of modest to low gain and still keep similar brightness as you're seeing now while getting less washout from the nearby wall and ceiling reflections. The main problem is that flat-grey is basically invisible while projected upon EVEN if the painting didn't go particularly well, while a more aggressive light-rejecting paint mix will show more and more imperfections in the surface and paintjob with the more aggressive the mix is tuned to be.

You could probably get away with a pretty well-behaved paintmix because of your screen-size (something like a half'n'half mix of RalphLauren/DisneyGlidden tintable metallic "untinted" mixed with flat interior paint tinted "Seal Grey"... or the lighter 1.5parts metallic and 1part "Seal Grey"), BUT an even easier, cheaper, and more assured way of getting an improved image is leaving your perfectly working screen alone and simply hanging some dark cloth or putting up a dark curtain on the wall next to the screen and considering pinning up some dark material (or dark paint) on the ceiling above the screen. This will take care of the reflections without costing more than about $20 and there's basically nothing to worry about messing up.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415

Last edited by Ftoast; 02-16-2016 at 08:15 AM.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-16-2016, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for all the advise, The painting has no glass, so no issues there. I am thinking about getting a larger painting to hang on the right wall as hanging a dark cloth will work better, would be too much effort for a lazy person
post #7 of 7 Old 02-16-2016, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2688 Post(s)
Liked: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by qguy View Post
Thanks for all the advise, The painting has no glass, so no issues there. I am thinking about getting a larger painting to hang on the right wall as hanging a dark cloth will work better, would be too much effort for a lazy person
If it makes you feel any more motivated VS lazy, walmart sells dark-colored (or black) twin-size (8ft tall by 5ft-wide) bed flat-sheets for $5. Grab 3 push-pins or thumb-tacks and a chair, pin the material to the wall up near the ceiling...tadaa.

A large, dark and flat/matte painting could look fancy.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page