Wilsonart laminate vs. Sintra? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-17-2016, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Wilsonart laminate vs. Sintra?

Hi, first post!

I'm building a basement home theater. At first I planned to paint the screen directly on the drywall, but then I saw some of the floating zero edge, backlit screens, and would really like to have one! I'm thinking about mounting the screen material to a 2x4 frame just 1-2" smaller than the screen size. But I have a logistics problem...I want a 106" to 110" 16:9 screen, but I'm concerned about how to navigate the thing down the basement stairs. My stairs take a U turn halfway down, and any rigid flat panel of that size is NOT going to fit.

I like the fact that the Wilsonart laminates can be rolled up! On the other hand, it's very thin and fragile. Sintra would probably hold up better in service. Reading some of the Sintra threads, I see that it's at least a little flexible...so MAYBE it would fit down the stairs??

Color isn't much of a concern, as I would paint either screen with Silver Fire 2.5/2. Which brings me to another question...can the screen be painted in the garage, then rolled (laminate) or bent (Sintra) to get it down the stairs, or would this flexing damage the painted surface?

Thanks for your replies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-17-2016, 10:15 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 271 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3725 Post(s)
Liked: 1719
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Sintra in the 6 mm Thickness is very flexible, certainly more than sufficient to bend around any Stairwell short of a Circular Stairs.

I've carried many such a sheet, even full 5' x 10' ers down stairs that had normal sized center landings.

In your case, doing a 110" Zero Edge affair, the 5x10'er would be cut to 96" x 54", and that certainly ain't all that big. It will easily go down the stairs upright at a angle, and make the landing turn easily.

Things to consider:

• You are NOT gonna crack or break the Sintra
  • It's much easier to work with, as it will adhere to a Wood Frame using PowerGrab Adhesive (clear)
  • I suggest a Frame made from an exterior Ring of double 1x3, the outside on edge and the inside flat and flush to the face. (See Example below)
  • The 1x Lumber will be both lighter and easier to accommodate the LED Wiring "Pass Through"
  • The 2.5" stand-off will allow you to use a standard 110 Outlet behind the screen as well as contain the needed Cord / Transformer assembly
  • Hanging the Screen will be easily accommodated by using the "French Cleat" method, with the Top Horizontal made from a ripped 1 x 6
It (..the Frame...) will go together easily, and while a bit more work than just some 2x4s, it will be rigid, lightweight, and easily hung.

You can certainly paint the Sintra elsewhere, the small amount of flexing will not hurt it. I would suggest using some new, inexpensive Cotton Gurnsey Garden Gloves while moving it. (...and after it is thoroughly dried...) As you negotiate the Corners going down the stairs, just be certain to keep the Painted side on the outside of the bend to avoid contacting the inside edge of the Stairwell Bannister / Framed Wall.

Lastly, lay down a clean, soft Cotton Sheet and place the painted Sintra "Screen Side" down. Mark off the 1" inside perimeter and glue the Frame on the Back

That's it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1a 110 inch Sintra Zero Edge Frame.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	1261633  

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #3 of 4 Old 02-17-2016, 10:33 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 271 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3725 Post(s)
Liked: 1719
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
..........Oh yeah.

Welcome to AVS's DIY Screen Forum !

You'll find all the help and assistance you need here.

Maybe more.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-18-2016, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Brilliant! I saved your image, MM. And I just happen to have a new Kreg pocket hole jig to try out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page