DIY Round 3 139" Spandex for JVC 4910 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MississippiMan

post #1 of 6 Old 06-23-2016, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 93
DIY Round 3 139" Spandex for JVC 4910

So projector fever caught me a few weeks ago so after researching the JVC 4910 looks to be the option I am most interested in. Currently I have a BenQ W600 with a CAVX III anamorphic lens throwing onto a curved 127" diagonal 2.35:1 white over grey spandex screen. Great combo but you all know how it is with change. Here's the link to the old project-

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-di...er-silver.html

My current plans are for a flat 139" diagonal scope screen 15' feet away that I will use the JVC lens memory to zoom with. I'll make a cedar frame and a 3" border with velvet. A few questions for this crew-

White over white will give me maximum gain over white over silver? Brightness is my only worry with the JVC and such a large screen.

JoAnn's spandex versus Spandex World? Looked at JoAnn's tonight and their stuff seemed nice but I did use Spandex World on the last build.

I've used the expensive JoAnn's black velvet for the last two borders... even with a 40% coupon I'm looking at $18 a yard. Should I be using SyFabric instead?

Thanks for any and all input. Even after I drop ~$250 on this screen, I'll be into three screens for under $800. The value in this forum is off the charts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-24-2016, 01:29 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked: 1621
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
White on White for maximum brightness, but somewhat reduced Black Levels

Spandex World is the "reference standard" however that's primarily based on price and known familiarity (tested)

SyFabric's Triple Black Velvet is excellent, and a incredible value.(-$8.00 yd) Using anything else simply amounts to spending more for no valid reason, and usually for less optimal results.
laeriq likes this.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #3 of 6 Old 06-24-2016, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks again for all the help MM. They should rename this the MM Screen Section!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-24-2016, 05:55 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laeriq View Post
Thanks again for all the help MM. They should rename this the MM Screen Section!
wow.

That's quite the compliment, and appreciated....but OMG.

The hue and cry just suggesting such a thing in jest might cause could have ramification that go beyond anything one might expect.

Why, you can almost hear the pot about to boil over !

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #5 of 6 Old 07-11-2016, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So good news is that the screen was assembled this weekend with about 8 hours of work and two movies have been viewed and I am quite pleased with it....

Bad news- my two center supports, mounted flat, are visible in bright scenes. We watched the last Bourne movie and the scenes in Tunesia revealed this. I did not paint my cedar as my last screen (white over silver) did not have this issue. My initial idea is to take some scrap white spandex and wrap those supports in it but I am open to any good suggestions!
post #6 of 6 Old 07-11-2016, 04:52 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laeriq View Post
So good news is that the screen was assembled this weekend with about 8 hours of work and two movies have been viewed and I am quite pleased with it....

Bad news- my two center supports, mounted flat, are visible in bright scenes. We watched the last Bourne movie and the scenes in Tunesia revealed this. I did not paint my cedar as my last screen (white over silver) did not have this issue. My initial idea is to take some scrap white spandex and wrap those supports in it but I am open to any good suggestions!
Wrapping in White Spandex is a good start. Seems you must have chosen White over White Spandex, as I have never seen anyone post that they could see central upright supports through a 2nd layer of Silver or Black.

I hope you have sufficient stand-off to add the material and still not have it tough the overlaying material.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page