Wow, this is defintely the place to hang to garner support for my project w/in a project. I have an active build thread for the room, but thought I would kick off one here for the AT screen portion. Would greatly appreciate any feedback from everyone and see that Mr. Mississippi is the guru in these parts for sure.
I was previously planning on a Falcon Screens AT screen as I did not want to compromise on the screen quality; however, the DIY aspect and encouraging feedback from users on AVS has convinced me to give this a try. I can always upgrade later, right? Seriously though - this seems like a great solution and I love a project.
Here are some room specific items:
1. 100% light controlled room - no spillage from anything aside from the light canon on the ceiling
2. Panasonic PT-AE8000 projector
3. Throw distance of ~15ft
4. Eyeballs to screenwall of 12ft for first row, bar height second row to be @ 15ft
5. Screen size is a max width of 125" and 2.35:1 CIH setup using the lens memory of the Panasonic
6. Plan to have the screen a mere 2-4" away from ceiling and both the left and right side walls. Planning on wrapping the remaining wall behind/beside the screen with velvet or recommended material
7. Will be going with about 1" thick acoustic frame panels on all wall surfaces and may even treat the ceiling in front of the stage with velvet if needed (flat black paint now)
8. Build thread has some additional pics, but I will include one here of the walmart bed sheet "temporary" screen I am using now
After reading thorugh some recent postings and some a little older I have collected the following as what I would call a STARTING point for critique:
1. 1x4 poplar/cedar wood framing w/ vertical bracing for stiffness - painted BLACK
2. Use quarter round on the screen side of the frame to serve as a standoff of the spandex material from the actual face frame? (I have not stumbled across a good clear picture of this, and would like to see this).
3. Milliskin Matte White (Product #795)
OVER Milliskin Matte Black (Product #796)
to enhance my black levels (vs. white over grey)
4. Construction technique I woud use would likely be my trusty Kreg pocket hole kit and some "T" and "L" steel braces as needed
Some extra features I would like to explore are some provisions for magnetic attach masking panels for 16x9 content as this is a CIH setup. I am more of a woodworker and I have built some cabinets some time back that I used some rare earth magnets recessed into a small forstener bit hole and a mating steel washer attached with a screw on the other side. This could be a solution perhaps. I am sure if I dig more here on AVS, someone has done this...
So, am I somewhat close to the correct starting point? Any advice or suggestions? Thanks!