Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-24-2016, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 149
New Room SF advice needed

I have moved and my old screen will not fit in the new room
I am leaning towards a zero edge screen, most likely Sintra with SF sprayed on. But... for the last couple days, with the image projected on the bare wall that is not helpful at all being a light cream color, the lack of borders is appealing. So i might be torn between painting a substrate and painting the entire screen wall.

Particulars;
Room size - 137"w x 167"l x 9ft ceiling
147" throw distance
120" viewing distance

Projector - Sony HW50es

Ambient light is not an issue as there is one window in the back of the room. I have blackout curtains and being a north facing window, incoming light is nonexistent. I am also planning to either install velvet curtains or wrap a thin plywood with velvet to black out the side walls and ceiling.

Usage - Movies, 3D, TV, and gaming.

Silver Fire - I already have the following ingredients as I was planning to paint my screen previously, but life got in the way.

No name sprayer and 1.0 mm tip
Cage mixer
2 qts white pearl metallic accents
Liquitex paints;
4oz Cadmium Yellow
4oz Gold
4oz NPHL Crimson
4oz Thalo Green
4oz Ultra Blue
24oz Silver

What else to I need to add so I can get 'er dun? Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-24-2016, 02:09 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked: 1621
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
More Paint.

You'll never do a 137" x 108" wall area with 2 quarts.

With light not being an issue, rotating the mix toward RS-MaxxMudd can gain you over 1.5 Quarts additional Volume, and that will be enough.

I did not see any RustOleum Matte Polyurethane, so that too will bulk up the mix. (...I wonder if that was the "24 oz. item you listed...? )

I've recently painted up two entire walls as Screens, both at / over 15' x 9', corner to corner...edge to edge. I can provide instructions as to how to apply paint "edge cut" deep into the corners and ceiling/wall edge without runs.

It's quite telling, you new preference for a edge less, adjustable size / format Screen. Why, even my Wife, who herself has seen literally dozens of my Screens, most all with Velvet Trim, clearly stated last night when looking at a 174" diag 2.39:1 image on a 15' x 9'-6" Edge less painted Screen wall, that she REALLY preferred it over one with a border.

Of course choosing the correct color scheme is always an asset. In the Theater shown, the side walls and rear walls are Elephant Gray, the Screen is Black Flame X1I , and the Ceiling is color matched to the BFX1I. All Trim forward of the Bar is pained with the Ceiling Gray, only in a Oil based Satin.

The carpet is a extremely dark Charcoal Gray with Light Gray fibers, that mates up with the medium Gray Theater Chairs.

All Pictures taken sitting down, film in motion, from a distance of 10' from Screen Wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A Ahigbe Child 2.jpg
Views:	917
Size:	458.9 KB
ID:	1682209   Click image for larger version

Name:	a1 Child on Scope.jpg
Views:	924
Size:	531.6 KB
ID:	1682217   Click image for larger version

Name:	a1 Ronan.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	1682225   Click image for larger version

Name:	A1 Ugly Pawn Broker.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	504.8 KB
ID:	1682233   Click image for larger version

Name:	a1 vicious Raccoon.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	472.8 KB
ID:	1682241  

Click image for larger version

Name:	A finished paint job 1.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	1682249   Click image for larger version

Name:	A1 Theater Chairs.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	551.1 KB
ID:	1682257  

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #3 of 7 Old 09-24-2016, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

I had the Polyurethane, but the movers wouldn't include it with our home goods. The other stuff made it because it was unopened still in the shipping boxes.
I know I will need that and other stuff. Was trying to get a list of the mix ingredients I'm missing so I can pick them up or order online. Let me wander on over and find the max mudd ingredient list.

Thanks for the assistance, looking to get this painted sooner rather than later, as the wife is away for training

I won't be filling the screen with an image because i dont have in-wall speakers. Does this change the recommendation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-24-2016, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

@MississippiMan
Is the Silver fire 2.5 n/c what you are recommending? I couldnt find the original list for maxxmudd.
The 24oz silver is the liquitex tubes. Yes, ive had these ingredients for a while.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-24-2016, 04:54 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Liquitex isn't whats used anymore, but it can be.

No Colorant means you can omit the mixing of all those primaries.

The real issue is you simply don't have enough to do a very large screen. But even if you do not plan to fill up the entire wall, having the entire wall painted with the Screen paint is still an excellent way to have your border-less screen.

2 Quarts Pearl has you set. Ideally, you need 1 Quart RustOleum Silver Metallic, (...but getting more of the Liquitex variety will do...) and 1 Quart Poly, as well as 1 Quart White.

Here is a suggested Mix.

1 Quart Pearl
1 Quart Silver (2 additional 4 Oz Tubes )
1 Quart Rustoleum Matte Poly --Lowes or online--
16 Oz Glidden Diamond Flat Interior Enamel (Base 1) --Home Depot--
16 oz Distilled or Filtered Water

Stir all into a 1-1/2 or 2 Gallon Bucket, judge viscosity and strain.

Alternative Higher Gain mix.

2 Quart Pearl
24 Oz Silver
1 Quart Rustoleum Matte Poly --Lowes or online--
1 Quart Glidden Diamond Flat Interior Enamel (Base 1) --Home Depot--
16 oz Distilled or Filtered Water

Check Viscosity carefully and add additional Water until Mix is very fluidic. Use of a1.0 needle requires a mix almost as thin as a creamy Eggnog.

The "Alternative Mix" is getting back toward the original MississippiMud, only using better ingredients ( & Poly) and a higher percentage of Silver.

While not in "vogue", don't be hesitant to use it. If you do but want it darker, I can send you some pre-mixed BF Colorant. 4 Oz in the larger mix would make a pleasing shade w/good contrast enhancement. Most importantly of all...neither Mix will hot spot, or show paint artifacts.

The 1st Mix will be closest to being a every light Silver-Gray screen. Almost white.

Your almost all set....looking forward to the painting!

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #6 of 7 Old 09-27-2016, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Posted the poly and picked up the paint. What grit sandpaper do you advise to use for the in between coat sanding?
And the tips for paintimg into the edges? I've tried to find your spraying videos, but have so far been unsuccessful.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-28-2016, 12:53 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickett View Post
Posted the poly and picked up the paint. What grit sandpaper do you advise to use for the in between coat sanding?
And the tips for painting into the edges? I've tried to find your spraying videos, but have so far been unsuccessful.
Look Here at these Threads for various Mixing-Straining & Painting Videos:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-di...ll-screen.html

http://s586.photobucket.com/user/MississippiMaurice/media/Brian%20Gretzler%20Screen%20and%20Theater/A1FirstDusterCoat.mp4.html

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1432177/painting-onto-a-106-tab-tensioned-screen-with-silver-fire-v2-5-4-0

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/1491572-128-2-35-1-theater-project-w-3-week-time-limit-warp-factor-9-5-engage.html#post23841581

Although some have used 300 Grit Sandpaper with a Sanding Block, I personally do not like doing so.
The use of a Large Sanding Sponge is highly advised. 3.5" x 9" x 1" Fine Grit @ Home Depot in the Drywall Tools Dept.

Edging with a Spray Gun:

Tape / Mask off the edges where the Walls / Ceiling / Base Trim join with the Screen wall.
Set Pattern Control on Gun to "Circle"
Aim Gun Nozzle at just a bit inside & off center to the union of the Screen Wall to the edge and 12" away
Apply paint sparingly and quickly. The Circle Pattern applies paint more heavily. Keep moving at 3' per second

Apply 2 coats, letting each dry. This should now allow for sufficient Edge Blending by running into the Corners on each Horizontal pass. Between 3rd and 6th coats applied Horizontally, apply another Edging application. 2 times Max.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Tags
diy screen , hw50es , silver fire

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page