My DIY ALR Borderless "Aeon" LED Backlit Project - Links, Instructions & Pictures! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
  • 7 Post By PW405
  • 1 Post By Ftoast
  • 1 Post By clarkkent06

post #1 of 20 Old 12-16-2016, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My DIY ALR Borderless "Aeon" LED Backlit Project - Links, Instructions & Pictures!

Greetings all - I don't frequent this board very often, but I absolutely LOVE the contributions of this community! I've got so many ideas as a result of everybody's contributions here.

Background

Around May 2015, I wanted to buy an Elitescreens Aeon w/Cinegrey 3D. Due to inventory problems, I couldn't find one & didn't want to spend the money at the times they were available. I REALLY wanted an ALR screen, as I don't own a TV and sometimes play Xbox during the day.

I found that Elite started offering the "designer cut" Cinegrey 3D, so I bought a roll of it on Amazon around 4/2016. It sat in the box until a a few weekends ago. Amazon currently has the Cinegrey 3D Designer Cut here: https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens...e+designer+cut

Frame Construction

Using some 1x4's & 1x2's (Home Depot's select pine), I used http://www.carlofet.com/build-your-o...jector-screen/ as a guide/starting point.

Due to constraints of my living room shape, I decided to go fairly small and settled on an 88" screen:

I used a pocket hole jig to join the corners, reinforced with some spare pieces of the 1x4's (screw'd and glue'd):

Instead of a single vertical support, I decided to use two vertical supports & a single horizontal support. I didn't want the frame to flex much, but still wanted it to be as thin as possible:

Back of screen showing horizontal support connection:

Front of screen after initial assembly:

One very important step that made this work great is sanding the holy be-jesus out of the inside edge of the frame.
I also used a router to round the inside edge before sanding.

I tried to capture this in a photo, but the flash hides the effect of sanding:

From the side, the inner edge would look something like this:

Additionally, I sanded the holy crap out of the horizontal support, just to ensure it wouldn't be poking through on the screen. A planer would have been very nice!

A test fit/placement of LED Strip & trim pieces that will hold LED strip:

Be sure to sand any sharp edges before attaching screen material.

Attaching Screen Material

Staples. Get many of them.

I followed the idea at Carl's place, attaching the material in a Up -> Down -> Left -> Right rotating fashion.

Start of material stapling:

I ended up doing two rows of staples to prevent any sagging/stretching of the material:
'

I continued in a rotating fashion, working my way to the corners.

I wound up folding them over (like wraping a christmas present) because of my corner reinforcement method, I didn't have much space:

Aaaanndd.... crap. I screwed up on this corner. Ended up trimming the extra material off.

Despite what it looks like, the material is stretched so hard vertically & horizontally, the edge of the frame should not poke through to the viewing area. At least I hope.

To attach the LED's, I used a few trim nails (make sure they aren't too long!!!!!) to attach some flooring trim I picked up at Lowe's.

I chose this type of trim because it is wider than it is tall. No need for fancy corners, as this will not be visible when complete:

I decided NOT to trim the excess screen material in case I need to re-stretch it for some reason.

Harbor freight had a sale on this flat screen mount for $15. I attached the arms of the mount to the vertical supports of the frame:

Flat screen mount: http://www.harborfreight.com/large-t...unt-61807.html

LED Information

I had to use two LED strips. I only needed about 36" of the second strip. I decided not to use a Red/Green/Blue strip because I feel the quality/color of white light is sacrificed. This is a personal preference.
LED Strip ($8 X 2):
https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Non-...ords=led+strip

LED Strip Controller & Remote ($5):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LED Power Supply ($9):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I connected the LED strip to the wood trim using hot glue. Had some extra chopsticks I used to press the strip into the hot glue so I didn't burn my fingers.

Testing before hanging:

Example Images

*Please excuse the poor quality/grainy images. My phone camera HATES low light.
**Please excuse the rest of the home theater. It is still a work in progress.

Projector is BenQ W1070 with about 1,000 hours on the lamp.

Conclusion

Overall, I am very happy with the results of the project. I wish I would have done it sooner! It was somewhat time consuming, but it was fun to do a DIY project that I'll enjoy daily. I do have some fairly minor issues with off-axis "hotspotting", but you can't really notice it unless the screen has a solid color that isn't moving. Due to my limited seating area and room width, I don't think there is anything I can do about it.

If anybody has any questions, just let me know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-17-2016, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked: 908
About how far back (front-lens to screen) is your projector mounted, and would it be possible for you to mount near the farthest of its range (around 9ft 6 inches)?

The frame and screen look great, by the way. Thanks for putting in such a detailed write-up.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #3 of 20 Old 12-17-2016, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
About how far back (front-lens to screen) is your projector mounted, and would it be possible for you to mount near the farthest of its range (around 9ft 6 inches)?

The frame and screen look great, by the way. Thanks for putting in such a detailed write-up.
Thanks! I was hoping that I could attract "on the fence" DIY'ers to try DIY instead of buying something out of the box by showing that the process isn't very complicated. Of course, the real challenge that isn't really discussed is the requirement of tools and space to work in.

The w1070 is about 8' 3" away from the screen's surface. The viewing position is roughly 1' behind the projector. It was originally mounted here to produce a 100" image and be as close to the screen as possible.

This is something I've had an issue understanding in regards to angular reflective surfaces. My understanding is that the farther you mount the projector, the wider the "viewing cone" gets, at the sacrifice of some image brightness?

Based on other's posts, I actually feared that my screen would be mounted too high. Currently, the bottom edge of the screen is level with the viewing position. The projector is more or less level with the top of the screen. I feared that this would result in the top of the screen appearing more dim than the bottom, but it does not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 12-17-2016, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Your screen height sounds like it's lined up well with the projector positioned so close and just above the screen...because you and the projector are at practically perfect inverse angles to each other and the screen's center (hopefully I'm using the right word there).

Yes, mounting closer using the same image-size gets a little extra brightness, while mounting farther using the same image-size gets better uniformity (makes hotspotting less visible or completely invisible).
Right now you're mounted at a 1.3:1 throw-ratio which is probably pushing things with such an aggressive screen...I've seen problems at ~1.3:1 disappear at ~1.4:1 with some aggressive screens, so if you're able to mount about 1ft farther back that slight hotspotting you notice off-axis may largely go away (I understand moving the mount and repairing previous holes may not be worth the trouble for you at this point).
The screen will still darken at the far side and brighten at the side that's closer to you when your seated to the side, but the difference in brightness-to-darkness becomes smaller and potentially small enough to become unnoticeable.

I hope your write-up sways some minds and allows folks who weren't previously aware to step into a really cool screen/material now that the price is less of an issue.
Thanks for the links and prices too, it makes finding the lighting-strips (and everything else) much easier. The TV mount is a cool touch as well.
SandstormGT likes this.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #5 of 20 Old 03-06-2017, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
This is an awesome write-up. I'm getting ready to something very similar myself, but I have 1 concern: from the side, with the lights on, led strip off, how visible is the wood frame? Or any of the back for that matter? In my room, people would be walking in potentially with a direct side view and I wanted to make sure this wasn't an eyesore.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by prof55; 08-25-2017 at 05:53 PM. Reason: (removed enormous quote)
post #6 of 20 Old 03-28-2017, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 47
This is awesome, thanks for the write up!

I'm going to build my own 135" screen with Cinegrey 3D and came across this post. I'm planning on doing the same as you, except instead of using a TV mount I think I'll just put a 1x2 rail on the top-back of the screen, and mount a 1x2 on the wall to use as a hanger. That way it will sit closer to the wall.

Thanks for the inspiration!
post #7 of 20 Old 04-06-2017, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 34
What is the gain on the material and where did you buy it?

I am interested in building 2:35 with ~140 screen.
post #8 of 20 Old 04-06-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng View Post
What is the gain on the material and where did you buy it?

I am interested in building 2:35 with ~140 screen.
Cinegrey3D is 1.2 gain
http://elitescreens.com/front/front/...il/product/285

I bought mine from Amazon but it is backordered, I think it says the order estimate is May
post #9 of 20 Old 05-01-2017, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkkent06 View Post
This is awesome, thanks for the write up!

I'm going to build my own 135" screen with Cinegrey 3D and came across this post. I'm planning on doing the same as you, except instead of using a TV mount I think I'll just put a 1x2 rail on the top-back of the screen, and mount a 1x2 on the wall to use as a hanger. That way it will sit closer to the wall.

Thanks for the inspiration!
Sorry for not seeing this sooner! If you do the mounting method you described, it would be pretty hard to see behind it. I mounted the TV mount to a 1X2, so mine is about 3-4" off the wall.
post #10 of 20 Old 05-01-2017, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Cinegrey3D is 1.2 gain
http://elitescreens.com/front/front/...il/product/285

I bought mine from Amazon but it is backordered, I think it says the order estimate is May
FYI, Amazon shows they have it in stock now:

post #11 of 20 Old 08-22-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW405 View Post
Sorry for not seeing this sooner! If you do the mounting method you described, it would be pretty hard to see behind it. I mounted the TV mount to a 1X2, so mine is about 3-4" off the wall.
I haven't been on the forums much, but just finished up the 135" screen. I think it came out really well, although I installed the LED's facing outwards, I think I maybe should've faced them backwards (I don't think you mentioned which way you installed the LED's). They light up the wall which is a foot or so away from the screen. I ended up taking a 3/4 plywood sheet and cutting it lengthwise at 45 degrees to make a hanger. I mounted one piece to the screen and one piece to the wall, and it helps "pull" the screen to the wall. So my wood screen frame is right on the wall, which is pretty cool.

It came out awesome, I'm definitely happy with it (for less than the $700 or so the Aeon Cinegray 3D screen costs). I think with screen materials and lumber it cost me around $200. I had the plywood laying around I used for the back support so I didn't count that cost, but it's pretty cheap. The wood frame was made with red oak on the shorter vertical beams, and hemlock on the top and bottom. In hindsight, I should've used hemlock everywhere, because the oak was pretty dense and the staples for the screen material didn't do so well in it lol.

Screen frame (back, top is to the right). You can see the hangers

Closeup of the corner. You can see the hanger and the triangle support. Like you, I found some moulding that was 3/4" tall to mount the LED strip to (although not shown here)

First trial with goofy 21:9 source

Finished screen with good ol IMAX 16:9 source
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9492.JPG (1.92 MB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9494.JPG (1.87 MB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0396.JPG (1.14 MB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0399.JPG (1.98 MB, 56 views)
steve1106 likes this.

Last edited by clarkkent06; 08-22-2017 at 11:04 AM.
post #12 of 20 Old 08-31-2017, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I haven't been on the forums much, but just finished up the 135" screen. I think it came out really well, although I installed the LED's facing outwards, I think I maybe should've faced them backwards (I don't think you mentioned which way you installed the LED's). They light up the wall which is a foot or so away from the screen. I ended up taking a 3/4 plywood sheet and cutting it lengthwise at 45 degrees to make a hanger. I mounted one piece to the screen and one piece to the wall, and it helps "pull" the screen to the wall. So my wood screen frame is right on the wall, which is pretty cool.

It came out awesome, I'm definitely happy with it (for less than the $700 or so the Aeon Cinegray 3D screen costs). I think with screen materials and lumber it cost me around $200. I had the plywood laying around I used for the back support so I didn't count that cost, but it's pretty cheap. The wood frame was made with red oak on the shorter vertical beams, and hemlock on the top and bottom. In hindsight, I should've used hemlock everywhere, because the oak was pretty dense and the staples for the screen material didn't do so well in it lol.

Closeup of the corner. You can see the hanger and the triangle support. Like you, I found some moulding that was 3/4" tall to mount the LED strip to (although not shown here)

That looks amazing. Can I ask what projector that is?

Also where did you find the Cinegrey 3D material? Amazon just shows Cinegrey and Cinegrey 5D.
post #13 of 20 Old 09-11-2017, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Looking good! Don't the LED's really help make the image "pop"? I kinna wish I would have done multi-color LED's so I could change the background light color. I suppose I could always switch them out if I really wanted to.
post #14 of 20 Old 09-14-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taythecoug View Post
That looks amazing. Can I ask what projector that is?

Also where did you find the Cinegrey 3D material? Amazon just shows Cinegrey and Cinegrey 5D.
I have an Epson 3700 for my projector. I got the Cinegrey 3D from Amazon, looks like they don't have it anymore https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 That's the link I bought it at, you could also contact Elite directly. It cost me $92 for the 135" size

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW405 View Post
Looking good! Don't the LED's really help make the image "pop"? I kinna wish I would have done multi-color LED's so I could change the background light color. I suppose I could always switch them out if I really wanted to.
Yeah the LED's also add a "wow" factor when people see it. I may adjust mine later to point backwards instead of "out"
post #15 of 20 Old 11-08-2019, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Did you research which lights to get, and what would you recommend?
post #16 of 20 Old 11-09-2019, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 170
How does this compare to Carl's Flexi-Gray? They appear to be similarly priced...
Also, is the field of view issue noticeable? What is the drawback? Moire? Dim picture? Loss of clarity/contrast?

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

Last edited by kevin g.; 11-10-2019 at 09:42 AM.
post #17 of 20 Old 11-16-2019, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
How does this compare to Carl's Flexi-Gray? They appear to be similarly priced...
Also, is the field of view issue noticeable? What is the drawback? Moire? Dim picture? Loss of clarity/contrast?
Flexi Grey is a matte grey fabric and Cinegrey 3D/5D is ALR.
ALR has narrower viewing cone. Possibility of hotspot/sparkle. Better of rejecting ambient light.
Matte fabric is lower gain, no uniformity issues, 160 degrees viewing angle.
Flexi Grey may have better black level and less color pop, ALR the reverse.
post #18 of 20 Old 11-17-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Flexi Grey is a matte grey fabric and Cinegrey 3D/5D is ALR.
ALR has narrower viewing cone. Possibility of hotspot/sparkle. Better of rejecting ambient light.
Matte fabric is lower gain, no uniformity issues, 160 degrees viewing angle.
Flexi Grey may have better black level and less color pop, ALR the reverse.

Thank you for the reply...I guess I meant Carl's ALR Material for comparison.

I am on the fence again. Have been looking seriously at Flexi-Gray for while, just have not had the time to upgrade my screen since purchasing my new projector. This thread has had me looking hard at ALR screens...something I had previously not paid any attention. My basement theater is about 85-90% light controlled, and I really don't have too much of an issue with spillage, but the photos here really impress the hell out of me.

Last edited by kevin g.; 11-17-2019 at 08:53 AM.
post #19 of 20 Old 11-17-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
Thank you for the reply...I guess I meant Carl's ALR Material for comparison.

I am on the fence again. Have been looking seriously at Flexi-Gray for while, just have not had the time to upgrade my screen since purchasing my new projector. This thread has had me looking hard at ALR screens...something I had previously not paid any attention. My basement theater is about 85-90% light controlled, and I really don't have too much of an issue with spillage, but the photos here really impress the hell out of me.
What is the color of the walls?
What is the projector?
What is the desired screen diagonal?
What is projector to screen distance?
What is the seating distance?
What is the regular use? Gaming, movies, TV?
post #20 of 20 Old 11-17-2019, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
What is the color of the walls?
What is the projector?
What is the desired screen diagonal?
What is projector to screen distance?
What is the seating distance?
What is the regular use? Gaming, movies, TV?
Edit: moved to my Own Thread

Last edited by kevin g.; 11-17-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page