Yet another question about paint for a screen - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 42 Old 01-10-2017, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx View Post
...the 2 water based polys that I exclusively use are the Rustoleum Ultimate Matte referenced in post 17 and Minwax Polyacrylic Matte.

The latter just came out in Matte within the past 6 months.

Lowes used to carry Rustoleum for about $12... but over the past year they switched to Minwax...for $17 a quart.

Many Wal-Mart s are now carrying the Minwax Polyacrylic Matte for about $13.

...and just to clarify any confusion...the poly is not used directly to increase gain...however, it's clarity will indirectly allow the metallics to retain and reflect their maximum gain. Secondly, it creates a separation/space from metallic to metallic which allows light to bounce from metallic to metallic...therefore lessening the screens angular reflectivity(ie improved viewing cone)...which is due to the metallic flakes being flat plalettes. Additionally, spraying which we highly recommend, atomizes the metallic flakes in a random manner instead of rolling them flat also improves viewing cone.
@pb_maxxx , I believe Lowes has discontinued the Rust-Oleum Ultimate product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
The polycrylic is another term for water-based polyurethane, but you'll still need to make sure it's matte instead of satin or other higher gloss-levels (you want matte finish) and like Mississippi already mentioned, you don't really want triple-thick/increased viscosity either since part of the benefit of using poly is how it helps thin your mix for spraying.. So those are a couple things to keep a lookout for.

I would still like to test some triple-thick matte poly at some point to see how it truly compares in practice.
@Ftoast , there is a polycrylic available in Clear Matte:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Minwax-1-...4444/206706214
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 01-10-2017, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 58
...they have. That's why I said loews switched to the minwax. Minwax is a mainstay of the furniture stain and poly industry. ...and they seem to be really good at making sure they are the exclusive product...especially at home depot and Menards...both of whom carry a multitude of other rustoleum products...just not the water based rustolem ultimate poly.
post #33 of 42 Old 01-10-2017, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
...the 2 water based polys that I exclusively use are the Rustoleum Ultimate Matte referenced in post 17 and Minwax Polyacrylic Matte.

The latter just came out in Matte within the past 6 months.

Lowes used to carry Rustoleum for about $12... but over the past year they switched to Minwax...for $17 a quart.

Many Wal-Mart s are now carrying the Minwax Polyacrylic Matte for about $13.

...and just to clarify any confusion...the poly is not used directly to increase gain...however, it's clarity will indirectly allow the metallics to retain and reflect their maximum gain. Secondly, it creates a separation/space from metallic to metallic which allows light to bounce from metallic to metallic...therefore lessening the screens angular reflectivity(ie improved viewing cone)...which is due to the metallic flakes being flat plalettes. Additionally, spraying which we highly recommend, atomizes the metallic flakes in a random manner instead of rolling them flat also improves viewing cone.
@pb_maxxx , my apologies for not reading your comment about Lowe's switching to Minwax.

Also, to prevent folks from just seeing my response on gain, I have deleted it so that is doesn't mislead anyone..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 42 Old 01-10-2017, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

@Ftoast @MississippiMan , @pb_maxxx , just a quick question. Will mixing the polycrylic cause the paint to "clump" when mixing the glidden paint and metallic paint Since it is a water based poly? I know MississippiMan mentioned to strain it when adding water to dilute it for a spray application.
post #35 of 42 Old 01-10-2017, 05:57 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 283 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked: 1766
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pritesh0381 View Post
@Ftoast @MississippiMan , @pb_maxxx , just a quick question. Will mixing the polycrylic cause the paint to "clump" when mixing the glidden paint and metallic paint Since it is a water based poly? I know MississippiMan mentioned to strain it when adding water to dilute it for a spray application.
No. Any clumping is already there in the heavier bodied paints, and even then, once adequate water is added and power stirred in, only the most stubborn clumps remain. Those are what straining gets rid of.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #36 of 42 Old 01-10-2017, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome, thank you MM. I plan to make the paint tonight.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #37 of 42 Old 01-10-2017, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quick question @MississippiMan , when mixing the paint, you mentioned mix it slowly. How slowly do I need. Like a gentle spin with a drill, almost like a gentle stir of a stick, or do I need to stir a bit faster?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #38 of 42 Old 01-10-2017, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 58
The best way mix thoroughly is with a squirrel cage mixer....

Or my preference... ...one of these...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ARQVM5O...a-273692484646
post #39 of 42 Old 01-10-2017, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The best way mix thoroughly is with a squirrel cage mixer....

Or my preference... ...one of these...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ARQVM5O...a-273692484646
Thanks pb_maxxx, I ended up getting a hdx mixer from HD. I hope to make you guys proud.Here is what I ended up using:
* 1 gallon of Glidden base 1 flat enamel with a SS color match
* 64oz of Rust-Oleum Metallic Accents - Sea Shell (I couldn't get another white pearl from Amazon).
* 32oz of Minwax Polycrylic Clear Matte (heads up, in the can it is a milky white color).
* 2 Gallon mixing bucket from home depot ($1.50)
* 2 Gallon storing bculet, with a lid, it was around $5.

1) I poured the Glidden paint in the mixing bucket and gave it a good stir with the mixing stick HD gives you.
2) I pour 1 quart of the metallic paint into the mixing bucket.
3) I mixed the paints together slowly and gently with the mixer bit I got from HD. I used the stick a couple of time to fold the paint.
4) once I saw the two were thoroughly mixed, I poured the other quart and repeated step 3.
5) I popped open the can of poly and gave it a gentle stir with the stiring stick.
6) I pour in about a quarter of the poly into the mixing bucket.
7) I started with the stiring stick and gently mixed the poly in to the paint. The. I switched to the drill and ran it at a very slow settings and stired the solution until you didn't see any separation. At least to me, when I added the poly for the paint, it had the effect of the color separating.
8) Once I saw the poly was well mixed, I added another quarter of the can into the mix and repeated step 7.
9) repeat step 8 until all the poly is mixed into the paint.
10) after all the paints and poly are mixed, I took a nylon filter (you can get this from HD.) And strained the paint into the storing bucket.
11) I hand stired it gently with the mixer and that is all that she wrote.
12) put a lid on it and that was it.

I am not going to lie, this wasn't a quick 15 minutes thing, it took me a solid couple of hours to mix everything. That being said, a lot of the time was me not wanting to rush and make sure that the paint was well mixed.

I hope I did everything to the T like you guys had explained. I will report back next week on the results. @MississippiMan , @Ftoast , and pb_maxxx, please let me know if I didn't any of it wrong. I am sure I am not the only one that is a noob.

I want to specially thank @MississippiMan , @Ftoast , and @pb_maxxx for all your responses, time, and advice.

Last edited by pritesh0381; 01-10-2017 at 11:06 PM.
post #40 of 42 Old 01-11-2017, 07:20 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 283 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked: 1766
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
A couple hours?

Wow.....for me it takes about 10 minutes. I always add the Poly & Water first.....stir (...that makes for a nice, loose base to start mixing in the thicker'er paints. ) then the Base (paint) and lastly the Metallic content...pretty much just slowly stirring as I go.

2 Hours? Gosh....I'd be so deep into a 64 oz. Growler of High Density Brew by then I'm not sure what I'd wind up loading into my Gun !

Now that your this far, don't "wait" until after you get somewhere you might not want to be....ask questions. Review Spraying technique so that you can convey information to the Painters. DO NOT rely solely on their supposed expertise, as it it unlikely they have ever sprayed any paint quite like this stuff.

"I" wanna know what type of Spray apparatus they will be using, and what size Tip / Nozzle.
"I" wanna make sure they know how much and how often to spray.

Your results...being dependent upon their work, means the interaction is not over...yet. I'm still all "up in yur business" at this point.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #41 of 42 Old 01-11-2017, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
A couple hours?

Wow.....for me it takes about 10 minutes. I always add the Poly & Water first.....stir (...that makes for a nice, loose base to start mixing in the thicker'er paints. ) then the Base (paint) and lastly the Metallic content...pretty much just slowly stirring as I go.

2 Hours? Gosh....I'd be so deep into a 64 oz. Growler of High Density Brew by then I'm not sure what I'd wind up loading into my Gun !

Now that your this far, don't "wait" until after you get somewhere you might not want to be....ask questions. Review Spraying technique so that you can convey information to the Painters. DO NOT rely solely on their supposed expertise, as it it unlikely they have ever sprayed any paint quite like this stuff.

"I" wanna know what type of Spray apparatus they will be using, and what size Tip / Nozzle.
"I" wanna make sure they know how much and how often to spray.

Your results...being dependent upon their work, means the interaction is not over...yet. I'm still all "up in yur business" at this point.

Lol, well you did say stir slowly ...and damn, I knew I was forgetting something last night. My 6 pack in the fridge. Oh well, I just went extra slow I guess.

I left my wife specific questions to ask the painter, and if all fails, I told her tell them to roll it, and I bought the 1/4" nap rollers for them.
post #42 of 42 Old 01-22-2017, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone. We finally got people out of the basement and was able to watch my falcons take down GB and now watching who they will play.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170122_194628_1485132530814.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1913049  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page