Replace screen material of a fixed frame screen? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-21-2017, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Replace screen material of a fixed frame screen?

I currently have a 92" fixed frame white screen, This one. I have light yellow walls, a white ceiling, and some windows. The windows are blacked out mostly during the day, but even at night I can tell the contrast is washed out a bit from the walls and ceiling.

I plan on painting the room dark grey with matte paint soon, but also want to try out a grey screen. My wife thinks the white screen is fine, and won't let me spend much for a grey screen. So I'm thinking of ways to replace the white material with grey. I contacted Carl's to see if their finished edge flexigray in 92" would fit the frame I already have. Just waiting to hear back.

I'm also considering getting Carl's ProGray material and stapling it to the wall. Then I can put the frame without the screen material in it around the ProGray. I could also get some felt tape around the border of the material stapled to the wall, but I'm worried that wouldn't look as finished as the fixed frame.

What I don't want to do is build my own frame, or paint. I've tried both, and wasn't thrilled with the results. The DIY frame didn't look as professional as the fixed frame, and the grey paint caused a lot of sparkles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-24-2017, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm still to certain what to do about my screen setup. I've convinced the wife to accelerate painting the room, and am going to do it tomorrow. I'm doing the ceiling Glidden Forest Black, and the walls Glidden Grey Hearth.

I'm not sure if I'll need a grey/gray screen after that. I also ordered a ND2 filter to try out and see how it helps the "black" levels of my Epson 2045 projector. I think I'm leaning toward the Carl's ProGray, stapling it to the wall, and using the felt tape around the edges. I could get around a 102" screen doing that, so I'd get another 10" over my current screen if I did that.

post #3 of 5 Old 01-24-2017, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2721 Post(s)
Liked: 910
At that size, the Epson should be more than bright enough for the ProGrey (even including 3D). Even its dimmest preset on Eco-lamp will be hitting around 20ftL, so your plan to use an NDfilter will likely work great for 2D during the first several hundred hours. Then you can take away the filter for lights-on viewing or 3D or later for 2D after the lamp has dimmed with age.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-24-2017, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks. It's currently 30ftL on my white screen in Natural mode with Eco lamp, and I'm at close to 2,000 hours on the lamp! I'll see how it looks after painting the room, and getting the filter, before deciding if I still need a grey screen. From reading comments in threads from MississippiMan, I think I'd be better off with FlexiGrey, and reassembling the frame I had from my first attempt at a DIY screen. The Pro series is supposed to have more noticeable texture, and would likely be difficult to get perfect if I tried to just staple it to my textured wall.

post #5 of 5 Old 01-24-2017, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2721 Post(s)
Liked: 910
Nice! Although the ProGrey will work best directly on the wall, if you already have a frame, the FlexiGrey will be even smoother.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page