Painting A Screen With Lacquer Or Other Oil-Based Materials. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-27-2017, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Painting A Screen With Lacquer Or Other Oil-Based Materials.

Has anybody attempted this? If so, what were the results?

I work and spray with a lot of lacquer and colorants. I like that it is clear, can be tinted, and can operate with a variety of sheens.

Should I play with this idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-27-2017, 07:23 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 296 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked: 1804
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
There were a couple specific DIY applications that used Oil Based Car Paints.

The ol' DDogg screen being the most famous...as well as a bit infamous due to the difficulty of application, run / sag potential, difficulty with clean up, and most notoriously at the time, availability of the paints. Add to that the need for a HVLP rig with all the trimmings (Water/ Rust Filters, Air Drier, a very clean Tank, small MM Needles, Rubber hoses......) and there were not many who bit down on that venerable bone.

But it must be said that those who nailed it got some great results, and a screen surface you could toss Gravel at.

Someone with enough Oil based moxie should have a distinct advantage though, so nothing stated above should deter you from trying.

Just remember, sheen is your enemy. Flat or Matte is where it's at. But don't be afraid to shoot for "depth" via multople coats.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #3 of 6 Old 03-27-2017, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
There were a couple specific DIY applications that used Oil Based Car Paints.

The ol' DDogg screen being the most famous...as well as a bit infamous due to the difficulty of application, run / sag potential, difficulty with clean up, and most notoriously at the time, availability of the paints. Add to that the need for a HVLP rig with all the trimmings (Water/ Rust Filters, Air Drier, a very clean Tank, small MM Needles, Rubber hoses......) and there were not many who bit down on that venerable bone.

But it must be said that those who nailed it got some great results, and a screen surface you could toss Gravel at.

Someone with enough Oil based moxie should have a distinct advantage though, so nothing stated above should deter you from trying.

Just remember, sheen is your enemy. Flat or Matte is where it's at. But don't be afraid to shoot for "depth" via multople coats.
Thanks, MM, I was hoping to hear your reply.

I have an excellent professional setup and all the tools... just need to get back into refreshing what's needed and trying some things out.

I like the idea of being able to build semi-translucent layers. I suppose it wouldn't even be too difficult to replace all the ingredients in a Silver Fire screen, which I use, with hi-build lacquers. I shoot plenty of Dead Flat lacquer, could add more to the mix if needed. Using dyes instead of pigments would, in theory, give you a dark screen that was more like tinted glass, right? And metallic pigment powders could be had, too.

But from there, I'm stumped as to how to begin. Any tips or ideas to start experimenting? Layers, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-27-2017, 10:13 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 296 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked: 1804
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Moore View Post
Thanks, MM, I was hoping to hear your reply.

Any tips or ideas to start experimenting? Layers, etc?
Oh I have several...but I gotta retire early tonight. But I will stay on this over the next couple days and we'll see what shakes loose.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #5 of 6 Old 03-27-2017, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Oh I have several...but I gotta retire early tonight. But I will stay on this over the next couple days and we'll see what shakes loose.
Cool. Sounds cool. Or you could just tell me to give up the dream and get some of that Black Flame stuff. It probably makes the most sense. I love the idea of the DEA screens, too, but they're a little over what I can afford. I'm still using the Panasonic 4000 I purchased on the cheap 5 years ago... same bulb, even! Over 8,000 hours and still looks halfway decent on the Silver Fire screen. I have a backup bulb that I plan on putting in, but figured it'd be worth getting a new screen at the same time.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-28-2017, 02:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Moore View Post
I love the idea of the DEA screens, too, but they're a little over what I can afford.
If you're also comfortable spraying water-base paint, I found a two ingredient (plus water) mix that performs so much like DEA that it's difficult to tell them apart. Plus, enough matte-poly and FolkArt gunmetal grey metallic for a pretty large screen only totals around $25-$30..coupled with the easy clean-up of water-base paint, there's very little risk.

And of course because that was possible, I imagine getting similar results from oil-base paint is also likely with a little experimentation.

A good start would be getting ahold of a very small flake/sphere neutral metallic and adjusting your dye/tint to the shade you're after. Then, assuming it shows too much gain as-is, cut it half'n'half with your clear lacquer and see if that's enough to control the metallic.. If not, keep doubling (or quadrupling if it's a long way off) until the metallic gain is where you want it.
Between your projector's throw, your spraying+skilled smoothness and your control of keeping the finish very flat/matte, you may be able to reach some impressive gain before things start looking weird..depending also on how dark-colored you want the screen to be.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page